Pages:
Author

Topic: Braiins OS & Braiins OS+ custom ASIC firmware: optimize performance & efficiency - page 4. (Read 45027 times)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0
Hi,

How do I prevent the miner from going 100% fan on start up or when parameters are changed?
This is just a single S9.

I want to change the fan_100% parameter.
http://prntscr.com/213tmc9
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1561
CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang
In Linux, the folder you are is not necessarily in the path. So even if you cd to it, you need to tell it the path, like:

./bosminer start

The ./ is a path that means "here". This is unlike msdos, and it also needs eXecute permissions which should already have.

But rather than that, you should just ls -l to see if you accidentally deleted this file, in that case just reinstall.
Activity: 24
Merit: 30
You are missing one line, there should be TWO lines in /etc/crontabs/root so add it back:

*/1 * * * * /usr/sbin/logrotate /etc/logrotate.conf 2>&1 | logger -t logrotate
0 0 * * * /usr/sbin/bos_upgrade_at 2>&1 | logger -t upgrade

Stop mining with /etc/init.d/bosminer stop
But this will ramp up the fans for protection, so also edit /usr/sbin/bosminer_monitor.lua

Search and replace fan_set_duty(i, 100) with fan_set_duty(i, 0)
Some fans don't like it to be set to 0% (they would spin to 100% instead), in that case try higher values until you find the min one.

Then your added lines should look something like this:

0 11 * * 1-5 /etc/init.d/bosminer stop && sleep 300 && /etc/init.d/bosminer_monitor stop && sed -i 's/fan_set_duty(i, 100)/fan_set_duty(i, 0)/g' /usr/sbin/bosminer_monitor.lua && /etc/init.d/bosminer_monitor start
0 14 * * 1-5 /etc/init.d/bosminer start && /etc/init.d/bosminer_monitor stop && sed -i 's/fan_set_duty(i, 0)/fan_set_duty(i, 100)/g' /usr/sbin/bosminer_monitor.lua && /etc/init.d/bosminer_monitor start

Yes, your first * is wrong, that would make it run every single minute, so no, you only run it at minute 0.

The sleep 300 is critical for the x17 family, it is meant to cool down the boards before stopping or slowing the fans. You may shorten the number of seconds if you use the S9 family.

Thanks a ton! Really appreciate your help. I learned a lot from your response. I am going to try tonight.

Update: It is working perfectly for s9s but not working for s17s. I tried to telnet into S17s and tried to issue the command
/etc/init.d/bosminer stop && sleep 300 && /etc/init.d/bosminer_monitor stop && sed -i 's/fan_set_duty(i, 100)/fan_set_duty(i, 0)/g' /usr/sbin/bosminer_monitor.lua && /etc/init.d/bosminer_monitor start

It said

command failed: not found

I tried to navigate to

/etc/init.d/

and tried to issue

bosminer stop

it looks like it did not recognize the stop after bosminer.
legendary
You are missing one line, there should be TWO lines in /etc/crontabs/root so add it back:

0 0 * * * /usr/sbin/bos_upgrade_at 2>&1 | logger -t upgrade

Stop mining with /etc/init.d/bosminer stop
But this will ramp up the fans for protection, so also edit /usr/sbin/bosminer_monitor.lua

Search and replace fan_set_duty(i, 100) with fan_set_duty(i, 0)
Some fans don't like it to be set to 0% (they would spin to 100% instead), in that case try higher values until you find the min one.

Then your added lines should look something like this:

0 11 * * 1-5 /etc/init.d/bosminer stop && sleep 300 && /etc/init.d/bosminer_monitor stop && sed -i 's/fan_set_duty(i, 100)/fan_set_duty(i, 0)/g' /usr/sbin/bosminer_monitor.lua && /etc/init.d/bosminer_monitor start
0 14 * * 1-5 /etc/init.d/bosminer start && /etc/init.d/bosminer_monitor stop && sed -i 's/fan_set_duty(i, 0)/fan_set_duty(i, 100)/g' /usr/sbin/bosminer_monitor.lua && /etc/init.d/bosminer_monitor start

Yes, your first * is wrong, that would make it run every single minute, so no, you only run it at minute 0.

The sleep 300 is critical for the x17 family, it is meant to cool down the boards before stopping or slowing the fans. You may shorten the number of seconds if you use the S9 family.
I want to stop mining at 11 am and start again at 2 pm. I have added the following 2 lines to the scheduler to do that under "system"->"scheduled tasks" assuming that will put them in cron file. But it is not working. Can one of you please help me to tweak this so that they work?

* 11 * * 1-5 pause
* 14 * * 1-5 resume

The first line was existing. I added line #2 and 3.  Thanks in advance.
legendary
Many people have commented us that the S9 are very quiet at low power limit, you can even disable one or two hashboards from the firmware.

If you leave everything default, except the lower power limit value. Some people even remove the exhaust fan entirely when ran at around 900W.

So if you think its too loud at 900W, disable hashboard 7 (middle), that will make it use 600W (do not change the power limit value).

Or you could swap the fans for more silent models.
The issue got resolved. I am not sure why suddenly the s9j decided to be obedient to the farm and switched back to 800 watt like other s9s in the farm.
For me this S9j is not that good when using Braiins OS+, I have one in my mini farm and the rest are S9's. With autotunning all S9's do above 15.5 ths and the S9j does 15.1 ths for example. I have one S9 that does 16.3 ths with power limit od 1400 W. All miners are set to 1400W, autotunning on, temeprature auto, and fans go high and low all the time, which I found normal as the temperature is gettinf higher, the fana keep going to higher RPMs
My question would be, why does this go up to 16.3 ths on 1400W and other 15.5 on 1500W limit!? Did anyone tried to mess up the wattage and frequencies to get more THs? Does this depends on the state of hash boards? I preffer a low power modes but I am setting this up for my friend and he wants to mine as much as he can, for now it doesn't matter how the miners get.
All 4 were on different firmwares, so if anyone needs help with installing the Braiins OS+ on their S9's, I will gladly help!

My observation is once I install Brains they all more or less produce same efficiency at lower wattage like 600-800. S9js seem to run fans at a lower speed and make less noise than s9s for the same settings. Not a statistically significant observation. I use them as noisy basement heater. I am not paying heating bill ever since i discovered mining in 2016. Before that my gas heating bill used to be 500 usd per month. So even though the s9 don't make much coin they provide the cozy heat. I am happy with that.

Because its not linear and sometimes more gives less, so you have to experiment values both up and down. I would advise your friend to focus in efficiency rather than speed, and yes, each hashboard is unique because the manufacturer throws a bunch of chips with different performance yield and let their (quick) auto tuning reach the advertised speed regardless of the chips actually being able to be more efficient which is what Braiins OS+ discovers after a far more exhaustive process.

Start with the default and try lowering values in 10, 20 or 50W steps. Don't bother going up unless you are doing immersion, its not worth it. The theoretical limit for the APW3++ before dropping its efficiency is 1496W. Its never good to run at the borderline, any little power fluctuation will make it go over it.

Remember, in the end better efficiency brings more profit than brute speed.

I am not sure whether it is an odd request but is there a way to optimize with a different objective? If it is not already there may I make a future improvement request to target a sound level? Today the auto tuner takes a specific wattage and maximizes production within that wattage. Can we have a different option to specify that the fan speed will be @ 5% or 10% and optimize production with that constraint? I think that way s9 will replace all walmart fan heaters in the market and miners will be able to negotiate with their wives and children about welcoming them in the family room. It is OK if you think it is a crazy idea. But my wife and kid became mad at me because I tried to place miners everywhere in our home for the last 5 years. They are probably right when they say I am encroaching on them with miners and GPU rigs. I am sure there are few more home miners like me.

[moderator's note: consecutive posts merged]
legendary
Because its not linear and sometimes more gives less, so you have to experiment values both up and down. I would advise your friend to focus in efficiency rather than speed, and yes, each hashboard is unique because the manufacturer throws a bunch of chips with different performance yield and let their (quick) auto tuning reach the advertised speed regardless of the chips actually being able to be more efficient which is what Braiins OS+ discovers after a far more exhaustive process.

Start with the default and try lowering values in 10, 20 or 50W steps. Don't bother going up unless you are doing immersion, its not worth it. The theoretical limit for the APW3++ before dropping its efficiency is 1496W. Its never good to run at the borderline, any little power fluctuation will make it go over it.

Remember, in the end better efficiency brings more profit than brute speed.
Activity: 1
The issue got resolved. I am not sure why suddenly the s9j decided to be obedient to the farm and switched back to 800 watt like other s9s in the farm.
For me this S9j is not that good when using Braiins OS+, I have one in my mini farm and the rest are S9's. With autotunning all S9's do above 15.5 ths and the S9j does 15.1 ths for example. I have one S9 that does 16.3 ths with power limit od 1400 W. All miners are set to 1400W, autotunning on, temeprature auto, and fans go high and low all the time, which I found normal as the temperature is gettinf higher, the fana keep going to higher RPMs
My question would be, why does this go up to 16.3 ths on 1400W and other 15.5 on 1500W limit!? Did anyone tried to mess up the wattage and frequencies to get more THs? Does this depends on the state of hash boards? I preffer a low power modes but I am setting this up for my friend and he wants to mine as much as he can, for now it doesn't matter how the miners get.
All 4 were on different firmwares, so if anyone needs help with installing the Braiins OS+ on their S9's, I will gladly help!
Hi Guys,
I am a long time larkar and a very small miner since 2016. I am facing a strange problem with BrainOS+. I have a s9j which is part of my small Brain os s9 farm that mines in slushpool. I installed brain OS+ in this s9j using a sd card and then permanently into NAND. I am noticing for last few days this S9j always mines at 1200 watt power limit with auto tuner on. No matter what I change in configuration for my s9j in brain os + or through the brain os +  farm, it automatically reverts back to a particular configuration having 1200 watt power and stratum v2 as the only connection. There are other s9 having brain os in my brain os farm. The other s9 respond to changes to device configuration and changes through brain os farm configuration but this particular s9j does not. It was not like this before. I had been able to configure this s9j directly and through the brain os farm. It had run on 800 limit, 850, 900 and 1200 limit before. It had run on stratum v1 and v2 before. But somehow for last few days it is behaving as if a particular configuration with 1200 watt limit is permanently etched into its memory. Please help.
Activity: 14
Braiins OS+ 21.09 release: new features and beta for S19, T19 & S19 Pro
Braiins | pool, firmware & protocol

• Major release that overhauls the web interface, adds languages and features
  • Early access for beta testers of S19, T19 & S19 Pro - see the dedicated section below

http://images2.imgbox.com/c4/40/7K2VhxUb_o.png

New features for all models:
  • [feature] new web interface, with responsive design (mobile ready), dark mode and multi-languages support (ES, RU, FA, ZH)
  • [feature] firmware running from SD card now support upgrade and auto-upgrade (same as firmware running from internal NAND memory)
  • [feature] firmware automatically pauses mining if there are no online pools in your settings, minimizing the power consumption and will automatically start mining once at least one pool comes online
  • [x17 specific  feature] Improved Model Detection functionality, to cover situations where all 3 hashboards have invalid EEPROMs from a different model. Scenario: you have a second hand S17 and the previous owner has rewritten the hashboard EEPROMs with T17e profiles

Known Issues:
  • Kaspersky Antivirus may block the web GUI
  • [S9] Wrong DPS default minimum power limit value = 100 W
  • [x19] Sometimes invalid Power usage data
  • [x19] Inconsistency in data shown in GUI Dashboard
  • [x19] No chip temperature in GUI Dashboard

S19, T19 & S19 Pro - EARLY ACCESS
  • Access to early beta is possible only if you swap your x19 control board for an x17 control board. This is due to locked x19 control boards. Installation details can be found below. An alternative installation method will be available for the official public release.
  • This is an early beta to gather feedback. We appreciate any enthusiasts taking part to provide feedback via our Help Desk.
  • Not currently supported: S19i, S19j, S19j Pro, S19+ so signup for updates here!

Installation:

EARLY ACCESS Antminer S19, T19 & S19 Pro: to run the firmware on x19, replace the x19 control board with an x17 control board. Note that the C49 control board (used in S17/Pro and T17) has smaller dimensions and the cables might not be long enough to reach the hash boards of the x19. Continue with the standard x17 installation method (SD card method) or update the firmware to 21.09 if Braiins OS+ is already installed on the control board. The 21.09 firmware will detect whether it is being installed on an x19 (with x17 control board) model. You can always revert back to stock firmware for x17 on that control board. An alternative installation method will be available for the official public release.

For new installation from Stock firmware (x17 & S9): see documentation.

Automatic update:

if your current Braiins OS+ has auto-update enabled your device will be updated automatically.

Manual update:

• You can also update using the web interface: flash the firmware by navigating to top-menu > System > Backup/Flash Firmware > Flash new firmware image >
    S9 (click here to download)  or x17 (click here to download)
  • Update in single/batch mode using BOS Toolbox Install tab > type your device IP address (or IPlist.txt) in the Miner(s) field and type the device password and click Start button.

What type of performance increases numbers being seen in the 19's seen?
legendary

For any issues with Braiins OS+, please open a support ticket here https://help.slushpool.com/en/support/tickets/new

I suggest you attach the .zip support file, which you can get from the top right button: Quick Actions > Get Help > Download.

You can also visit the Telegram support group here: https://t.me/BraiinsOS
Activity: 86
Braiins OS+ 21.09 S17Pro. Why can't i change anything in Configuration -> Performance menu? Everything is grayed out...
Activity: 9
Have you fixed the problem with the S9 version that does not shut down the miner when internet connectivity (or all pools down) is lost? My rigs just mined nothing - producing heat - for over two hours today when the power supply for a network switch went belly up.

As they are in low power mode and sound proofed enough they are 10 ft away. I can hear them, but not be distracted. For the whole 2 hours the fans kept going and when I checked hot air was coming out. After replacing the power supply the network connection resumed. I waited almost 10 minutes and they still had not reconnected to a pool. So I had to reboot them. This is not good at all. They have static addresses.

Another thing to fix: When enabling / editing pools it wants to do a warm start and do the tuner testing hash rate routine, this using 5-10 minutes to do so. Unless the power setting is changed I can't think of any reason for this.

And lastly. Please make it so I can save / restore configurations to my computer. Just like the original Bitmain software.

Thank You.

legendary
Braiins OS+ 21.09 release: new features and beta for S19, T19 & S19 Pro
Braiins | pool, firmware & protocol

• Major release that overhauls the web interface, adds languages and features
  • Early access for beta testers of S19, T19 & S19 Pro - see the dedicated section below

New features for all models:
  • [feature] new web interface, with responsive design (mobile ready), dark mode and multi-languages support (ES, RU, FA, ZH)
  • [feature] firmware running from SD card now support upgrade and auto-upgrade (same as firmware running from internal NAND memory)
  • [feature] firmware automatically pauses mining if there are no online pools in your settings, minimizing the power consumption and will automatically start mining once at least one pool comes online
  • [x17 specific  feature] Improved Model Detection functionality, to cover situations where all 3 hashboards have invalid EEPROMs from a different model. Scenario: you have a second hand S17 and the previous owner has rewritten the hashboard EEPROMs with T17e profiles

Known Issues:
  • Kaspersky Antivirus may block the web GUI
  • [S9] Wrong DPS default minimum power limit value = 100 W
  • [x19] Sometimes invalid Power usage data
  • [x19] Inconsistency in data shown in GUI Dashboard
  • [x19] No chip temperature in GUI Dashboard

S19, T19 & S19 Pro - EARLY ACCESS
  • Access to early beta is possible only if you swap your x19 control board for an x17 control board. This is due to locked x19 control boards. Installation details can be found below. An alternative installation method will be available for the official public release.
  • This is an early beta to gather feedback. We appreciate any enthusiasts taking part to provide feedback via our Help Desk.
  • Not currently supported: S19i, S19j, S19j Pro, S19+ so signup for updates here!

Installation:

EARLY ACCESS Antminer S19, T19 & S19 Pro: to run the firmware on x19, replace the x19 control board with an x17 control board. Note that the C49 control board (used in S17/Pro and T17) has smaller dimensions and the cables might not be long enough to reach the hash boards of the x19. Continue with the standard x17 installation method (SD card method) or update the firmware to 21.09 if Braiins OS+ is already installed on the control board. The 21.09 firmware will detect whether it is being installed on an x19 (with x17 control board) model. You can always revert back to stock firmware for x17 on that control board. An alternative installation method will be available for the official public release.

For new installation from Stock firmware (x17 & S9): see documentation.

Automatic update:

if your current Braiins OS+ has auto-update enabled your device will be updated automatically.

Manual update:

• You can also update using the web interface: flash the firmware by navigating to top-menu > System > Backup/Flash Firmware > Flash new firmware image >
    S9 (click here to download)  or x17 (click here to download)
  • Update in single/batch mode using BOS Toolbox Install tab > type your device IP address (or IPlist.txt) in the Miner(s) field and type the device password and click Start button.
legendary
As i mentioned before, with the sd card you don't need to change anything, You can just test it without installing.

The toolbox needs either 2018 or earlier, OR 2019 the latest version because the unlocker won't work with early 2019, only late 2019.
Activity: 2
Hi
I just got my first Antminer S9. It is a 2019 model.
I'm eager to try out Braiins OS+. I read lots of good about it.
However, the quick start documentation is quite confusing and contradictory. In the section RUNNING STOCK FIRMWARE RELEASED IN 2019 OR LATER it first talks about the SSH being locked with the newer models.
It talks about installing Braiins OS to 2019 stock firmware with BOS Toolbox. Clear enough.
But then it goes on to state that devices with 2010 stock firmware CAN ONLY be installed with an SD Card.
I would prefer to install with BOS Toolbox but I don't know if it will work. Can I use it or do I have to use SD card?
Please fix this in the documentation as it is contradictory and confusing.

Why don't you just try ? Wouldn't be more easy than wait the answer here ? Nothing risky to try to change your firmware to be honnest.

Ok thanks SerbianFarm. I have no experience changing firmwares and am a little scared of the process. I had the idea that doing something wrong in the process could brick the miner.
thanks for the quick reply.
Activity: 12
Merit: 1
Hi
However, the quick start documentation is quite confusing and contradictory. In the section RUNNING STOCK FIRMWARE RELEASED IN 2019 OR LATER it first talks about the SSH being locked with the newer models.
It talks about installing Braiins OS to 2019 stock firmware with BOS Toolbox. Clear enough.
But then it goes on to state that devices with 2010 stock firmware CAN ONLY be installed with an SD Card.
I would prefer to install with BOS Toolbox but I don't know if it will work. Can I use it or do I have to use SD card?

Why don't you just try ? Wouldn't be more easy than wait the answer here ? Nothing risky to try to change your firmware to be honnest.
Activity: 2
Hi
Pages:
Jump to: