Pages:
Author

Topic: [BTB] The BitBar Information Thread - page 44. (Read 180272 times)

Activity: 247
Merit: 100
Payment ecosystem for world shipping industry
October 04, 2015, 01:03:27 PM
ok I think something happened to FRK like that recently because I was mining it @ H2C and even sent coins to my wallet which never appeared (also their TX# don't show in the explorers) then I check back and see like every block I mined was orphaned. The wallet is still sitting in maintenance mode on Cryptsy...The poolmaster said he isn't putting Franko back up until Cryptsy's wallet comes out of maintenance mode. I think I understand now. I'm surprised the code wasn't written so that this can't happen in the first place but I've never DEV'ed a coin before either. Thanks for the explanation.
legendary
Activity: 1294
Merit: 1039
October 04, 2015, 03:02:38 AM
This happens from time to time, but generally it gets fixed down the line in a block or two. the blocks in the chain get passed around like a 'hot - new mp3 of your favorite group" and eventually get handed to a mining rig to work on.

This is where I am still a little fuzzy on how the mining rigs find out about both transactions - but they do, and in most cases, the early bird get the worm, so to speak, and the looser becomes an orphan - if you have done any mining - you have undoubtedly ran into these.

On rare occasions, pool A sticks with it's fork, and pool B sticks with it's fork, and they just keep going until a transfer fails and all heck breaks loose.
-----------------------------------
The is another instance in which a blockchain becomes forked, and that's referred to as a 51% attack (although I don't think it always happens on purpose)

if pool A has 49% of the total hashing power, and pool B has 51%, pool B will, on average find more blocks - hence create more blocks, and pool A will simply fall behind.

I'm sure there are other circumstances that can cause a fork in the road, but once you have a punctured tire - who cares about the cause at the moment ?  that's for the dev team to work on so it doesn't happen again  Wink

now it's time for questions and corrections, feel free to add both!

edit: forgot to say that yes, I have heard that when the 'code' is handed over to a new dev it can be called a fork. The background in this I think is how the github works. A developer can have a master project, and if someone wants to work on it, they 'fork' it (or duplicate it) to their own work space. then they can work on their own copy and submit there changes to the master developer. In that way - when we get a new dev , they will fork the repository, and if they don't do anything substantial to the way the blockchain works, we will have an updated wallet, without having to re-sync the chain.
legendary
October 04, 2015, 02:45:05 AM
I thought a fork is a change in the code. will you explain?

Ok - simply put, a fork in the blockchain (the long ledger of transactions) can happen when two mining pools (as an example) find a bock at the same time.
Each block in the chain is made up of part of the previous block plus the batch of transactions.

for instance, the current block being 'mined' is #13550. this current block or records has three transactions in it. Let's say pool A and Pool B both find it to be a bonus block at the same time:

Pool 'A' takes some information from that block (#13550) and adds the new transaction it just made - for finding a bonus block - smashes it together to make a new block - we will call that block #13551

At the same time, Pool 'B' does the same thing - some stuff from block #13550 plus the transaction it just made for the block it found - smashes it together and puts it out as block #13551

these new blocks have to be verified (confirmed) several times. That's what the miners do, the crunch the numbers, make sure it all adds up - plus record checking stuff -  then passes it along.

So far, pool A being on the west coast doesn't know about transaction from pool B (maybe it's on the east coast?) and we now have two chains.

more in the next post
October 04, 2015, 02:15:21 AM
I thought a fork is a change in the code. will you explain?
legendary
October 04, 2015, 01:40:46 AM
what fork? damned fork! what happened?

bottom part of page 25   Smiley
October 04, 2015, 01:38:02 AM
what fork? damned fork! what happened?

well, i linked this thread also so he could catch up on whats new with the coin, so kinda.
legendary
October 03, 2015, 09:28:25 PM
Thats funny, I withdrew coins that very same day from Cryptsy and was successfull also! I contacted the [email protected] with the updated info for the coin so hopefully he will put it back up to be mined soon. It's my favorite scrypt pool and I would rather mine it there.

You did mention to the poolmaster about the little fork problem going on, right ? It could take a couple of days to see where it goes.
stupid fork.
BAD fork !!
October 03, 2015, 09:20:32 PM
Thats funny, I withdrew coins that very same day from Cryptsy and was successfull also! I contacted the [email protected] with the updated info for the coin so hopefully he will put it back up to be mined soon. It's my favorite scrypt pool and I would rather mine it there.
legendary
October 03, 2015, 01:50:34 AM
also, in case anybody was curious, I had a successful withdrawal from Cryptsy on 9/18/2015 22:12 which is 3 days after I made the wallet download for BitBar.co - so it should be ok
legendary
October 02, 2015, 04:16:32 PM
Well, Cryptsy seems to be on a fork - or we are  Angry Their block count is about 200 higher than http://btb.cryptocoinexplorer.com/

I think it will take a while for our transfers to go through.
I let them know that they are on a different chain than cryptocoinexplorer, and they said they will look into it.

Could someone explain to me how one figures out which chain is the correct one - I'm trying to learn - and I haven't found a "block chain for dummies" book anywhere  Smiley
legendary
October 02, 2015, 04:02:01 PM
Thanks spider, it is very helpful, i am sending them the file, it has reached the address.

Just so you don't feel all alone, My withdrawal from Cryptsy's I did yesterday hasn't come through yet.
Activity: 172
October 01, 2015, 05:40:56 AM
Thanks spider, it is very helpful, i am sending them the file, it has reached the address.
legendary
October 01, 2015, 12:30:18 AM
any alternative exchange aside from cryptsy? i have transferred some btb to them but fail to appear since Tue, 22 Sep, already created support ticket.

I've only dealt with cryptsy, so I can't help with that.
I had a transfer go bad - it took 4 months to get it straightened out.
I generated a new cryptsy btb address and did a test transfer ( .5 btb) and it worked.
I suggest checking the address you sent to on http://btb.cryptocoinexplorer.com/address and seeing if it makes it to that address.
Once you have that additional information, you can add it to your ticket thread https://cryptsy.freshdesk.com/support/tickets and that might help speed things along.
Activity: 172
September 30, 2015, 11:44:38 PM
any alternative exchange aside from cryptsy? i have transferred some btb to them but fail to appear since Tue, 22 Sep, already created support ticket.
Activity: 199
September 30, 2015, 05:19:59 AM
I  used cgminer to solo mine bitbar. There is a tutorial still available on this site.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/psa-guide-to-solo-mining-bitbar-200800

I made this work on a windows machine, I am unsure of the steps involved to solomine linux.

I'll take a look at this, thanks!

/Bejjan
September 30, 2015, 05:17:41 AM
Nothing seems to help, the wallet is syncing just fine, but I can't generate any new blocks, that's the only thing that doesnt work right now.

I've been throwing insane amounts on hashing power on it but the wallet keeps rejecting any new blocks.

have you used the miners on a pool ??

Yes, stratum mining with NOMP, nothing seems to work though, never had this problem with any other coin, and I've dealt with over 70 different types of coins.

legendary
September 29, 2015, 09:20:40 PM
cgminer might be a good way to go. I used the earlier versions when I was using my gpu's.
Some of his (http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/) newer versions might work with the Zuesminer/Gawminers.
The manufacturers website (if there is one) may have a list of recommended mining software.
Activity: 183
September 29, 2015, 05:52:57 PM
I  used cgminer to solo mine bitbar. There is a tutorial still available on this site.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/psa-guide-to-solo-mining-bitbar-200800

I made this work on a windows machine, I am unsure of the steps involved to solomine linux.

legendary
September 29, 2015, 12:36:44 PM
Nothing seems to help, the wallet is syncing just fine, but I can't generate any new blocks, that's the only thing that doesnt work right now.

I've been throwing insane amounts on hashing power on it but the wallet keeps rejecting any new blocks.

have you used the miners on a pool ??
September 29, 2015, 07:07:09 AM

Pages:
Jump to: