Pages:
Author

Topic: btt - page 49. (Read 407332 times)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
August 12, 2013, 06:22:27 PM
I think we have a very small window here where Avalons that are purchased cheaply and can be hashing for us very quickly will be able to pay for themselves and yield a modest profit. I'm thinking under .7BTC/Gh is a reasonable price to pay at this point.

Cheers.  
Activity: 583
Merit: 500
Bitcoin for all & all for Bitcoin
August 12, 2013, 05:56:16 PM

Assuming difficulty is 50mil by arrival, it looks like all 3 hashing at 80gh/s each would only net a little over 70BTC a month. Not too sure how profitable those machines will be much longer especially with such dramatic rises in diff.
August 12, 2013, 05:40:22 PM
That's not bad, thanks for the heads up. I have something a bit better in the works, but if it falls through then maybe.

Cheers.
Activity: 266
August 12, 2013, 05:22:09 PM
August 12, 2013, 02:12:41 PM
Somehow I doubt "a few minirigs" will be available at a price that makes sense, but I'll stop by the minirig store later and take a peek. Wink

I'd take a couple Avalons if the price was low enough...they're an admins dream to manage and we're not going to find cheaper hashes than that given their overclocking potential.

Cheers.
Activity: 406
August 12, 2013, 01:38:41 PM
Agreed. Blades are a bunch less hassle and I'm not even crazy about the idea of running a bunch of 10Gh/s devices, plus I don't believe they'll hold their value as well as BFL gear will given their higher power consumption.

I have bids in for a few different auctions.

Cheers.

BFL stuff is the way to go if you can get it at a decent price!

Take care

Yeah, let's get few more minirigs and than off to BitFury or KnC Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 7912
August 12, 2013, 01:34:03 PM
Agreed. Blades are a bunch less hassle and I'm not even crazy about the idea of running a bunch of 10Gh/s devices, plus I don't believe they'll hold their value as well as BFL gear will given their higher power consumption.

Cheers.

BFL stuff is the way to go if you can get it at a decent price!

Take care
August 12, 2013, 12:39:07 PM

Cheers.
August 12, 2013, 12:04:21 PM
Thanks for the confidence guys, it's appreciated.

I'd like to get as much feedback as possible in order to reach a consensus on the direction we should take going forward as far as future hardware purchases go. I favor Bitfury gear due to their efficiency claims and ability to demonstrate progress in their development process. On the other hand I've seen little evidence to convince me that knc will be able to deliver products on their timeline. Does anybody disagree with my take on this and if so why? Also does anybody have any other suggestions as far as which vendor they feel is a better choice and if so why?

Avalon has said they were done with pre-orders and that they were developing 55nm? chips of their own for October delivery. Clearly their reputation has been tarnished, but what's everyone's take on the latest from Bitsyncom?

Also as far as criteria go for hardware selection, my own priorities are as follows:

1) Credibility - Can this vendor deliver what they claim and most importantly can they deliver it WHEN they claim. To date pre-order vendors have a 100% failure rate, though obviously some have failed more spectacularly than others.

2) Efficiency - Will this product be hashing long enough to at least break even in the face of continued network expansion? This obviously affects resale price of hardware as well.

3) Price point - I believe this is self explanatory.

Cheers.

If you could purchase 100 block erupter sapphires for 35BTC today, that would give the fund another 33Gh/s (@250Watts).  The break even TODAY is about 85 days.  Say the network hash rate doubles in the fall, that would mean 170 days or if it triples, 255 days.  They sip power so running them longer isn't an issue.  I realize you would need good hubs which are ~$70US each for an aluminum 10 port USB 3 powered hub (aitech sells one through amazon for 69.99 - I believe the seller's name is computerExtension).  I know these work great for 10 usb miners.  Are you currently running a couple of 6770's and a couple of 7770's for bitcoin?  Even if we just purchase sufficient amounts of block erupters to replace those, we would be further ahead.  The usb hubs would com in handy for the next gen asics too I'm sure.  They have to release a little usb key for those if us who can't afford the big rigs!!

I ordered 20 block erupter blades last wednesay and had them running by Friday evening before I left for work. I paid 5.99 BTC/10 and I saw just last night the price dropped to   4.19BTC/10 (free UPS express shipping until Aug 15th on 5BTC+ orders).  The miners were new and worked perfectly.  I'm hesitant to mention this seller as I see BTCGuild store is 1000 units shy right now!

I'm just thinking in the short term to keep up our percentage of the network share while you formulate a long term plan.

Thoughts anyone?

Take care

Hashrate rises at least 50% a month. So it triples in only 4 months. It's really long run to make USB miners profitable. Blades are more profitable - 10.25BTC/13GH/s, no USB hubs needed.
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 7912
August 12, 2013, 11:59:12 AM
Thanks for the confidence guys, it's appreciated.

I'd like to get as much feedback as possible in order to reach a consensus on the direction we should take going forward as far as future hardware purchases go. I favor Bitfury gear due to their efficiency claims and ability to demonstrate progress in their development process. On the other hand I've seen little evidence to convince me that knc will be able to deliver products on their timeline. Does anybody disagree with my take on this and if so why? Also does anybody have any other suggestions as far as which vendor they feel is a better choice and if so why?

Avalon has said they were done with pre-orders and that they were developing 55nm? chips of their own for October delivery. Clearly their reputation has been tarnished, but what's everyone's take on the latest from Bitsyncom?

Also as far as criteria go for hardware selection, my own priorities are as follows:

1) Credibility - Can this vendor deliver what they claim and most importantly can they deliver it WHEN they claim. To date pre-order vendors have a 100% failure rate, though obviously some have failed more spectacularly than others.

2) Efficiency - Will this product be hashing long enough to at least break even in the face of continued network expansion? This obviously affects resale price of hardware as well.

3) Price point - I believe this is self explanatory.

Cheers.

If you could purchase 100 block erupter sapphires for 35BTC today, that would give the fund another 33Gh/s (@250Watts).  The break even TODAY is about 85 days.  Say the network hash rate doubles in the fall, that would mean 170 days or if it triples, 255 days.  They sip power so running them longer isn't an issue.  I realize you would need good hubs which are ~$70US each for an aluminum 10 port USB 3 powered hub (aitech sells one through amazon for 69.99 - I believe the seller's name is computerExtension).  I know these work great for 10 usb miners.  Are you currently running a couple of 6770's and a couple of 7770's for bitcoin?  Even if we just purchase sufficient amounts of block erupters to replace those, we would be further ahead.  The usb hubs would com in handy for the next gen asics too I'm sure.  They have to release a little usb key for those if us who can't afford the big rigs!!

I ordered 20 block erupter blades last wednesay and had them running by Friday evening before I left for work. I paid 5.99 BTC/10 and I saw just last night the price dropped to   4.19BTC/10 (free UPS express shipping until Aug 15th on 5BTC+ orders).  The miners were new and worked perfectly.  I'm hesitant to mention this seller as I see BTCGuild store is 1000 units shy right now!

I'm just thinking in the short term to keep up our percentage of the network share while you formulate a long term plan.

Thoughts anyone?

Take care
Activity: 1008
Merit: 537
August 11, 2013, 01:54:32 AM
creativex: Are you aware that you're next on the list of SEC?

You're a bit *late* for the FEAR_OF_SEC_RUMOURS_NO_BRAIN.
Activity: 364
August 10, 2013, 10:49:29 PM

Any data or just rumor around the campfire?
August 10, 2013, 10:29:49 PM

Hi narayan. I did not know that, thank your for the information.
Activity: 736
Merit: 508
August 10, 2013, 10:11:15 PM
narayan: do you know if you want cheap shares, you need to improve your FUDs?
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
I do not sell Bitcoins. I sell SHA256(SHA256()).
August 10, 2013, 10:06:09 PM
August 10, 2013, 10:01:59 PM
Not seeing an October delivery as likely for hashfast. Their products are interesting, but there isn't any evidence offered that they'll have a chance of meeting their timetable.

Cheers. 
August 10, 2013, 04:16:49 PM
All the early Bitfuries are spoken for, too late to get that on that boat now.

I'm aware of that. However, just as we were able to wait for a review of an Avalon b1 product before ordering a b2, the Bitfury products for August delivery should give us a real look at their products before we have to pay for products slated for October delivery. We won't have to order completely blind like we would with other vendors. Also there's some talk of possible improvements on Bitfury M boards between batches.

As to CREDIBILITY, check out this glowing Hashfast endorsement from Cypherdoc:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/hashfast-endorsement-270363

Thanks, I'll have a look.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
August 10, 2013, 04:06:49 PM
CX,

I've been drooling over the first-run HashFast machines, especially since finding out they're liquid-cooled.   Tongue

Pre-orders do not have a 100% failure rate.  G1 Avalons were spectacularly profitable.

IMO, Bitfuries are great at present but soon to be overtaken by 28nm tech, perhaps by Christmas.

Depending on your power costs and climate, YMMV.  

that's a whole season

avalons will have lasted for one summer season as well

I am not sure if this is such a downside

as the treasury fund balance will be able to roll into the next hardware purchases too

All the early Bitfuries are spoken for, too late to get that on that boat now.

Difficulty is exploding as they and millions of Avalon chips (wherever they are) hit the blockchain.

One season is OK, but Hashfast's first run Mini-jets will be profitable for two, maybe three or four.

As to CREDIBILITY, check out this glowing Hashfast endorsement from Cypherdoc:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/hashfast-endorsement-270363

August 10, 2013, 03:51:02 PM
Pre-orders do not have a 100% failure rate.  G1 Avalons were spectacularly profitable.

When HW vendors get the money up front any semblance of customer service goes right out the window. While b1 customers did great hashing with ASICs while everyone else was using FPGAs and GPUs it was a one time event on a small batch and Avalon couldn't even ship that on time. Their performance since has been far worse.

IMO, Bitfuries are great at present but soon to be overtaken by 28nm tech, perhaps by Christmas.

Depending on your power costs and climate, YMMV.

Perhaps, but I don't think we can afford to wait that long to add new gear. Aren't knc's 28nm products expected to have a lower efficiency than Bitfury's 55nm products? We'll have to make a decision based on what's actually shipping.

Cheers.
August 10, 2013, 12:19:44 PM
I say let's wait for the first new vendor and then go his way :-)

btw Asicminer blades for 12BTC/13GH/s aren't an option I suppose

Are those prices for the older but overclockable blades?

Yes, new (non-overclockable) blades will be selling from 18th of august at earliest (probably from 25th).
Pages:
Jump to: