Pages:
Author

Topic: Butterfly Labs - Bitforce Single and Mini Rig Box - page 55. (Read 186929 times)

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
Why are you all under the impression that you have to use Easyminer?  Just continue to use CGminer or Ufasoft as per usual.  Easyminer is not intended for anyone on these forums.
legendary
Activity: 1022
BitMinter
That's a clean looking miner ! Add some options for other pools and everyone will be happy. Looks like things move in the right direction (finally). Grin
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
Sexy.   I won't be able to use it until more pools are supported (or preferably an enterable address), but it's a great idea Smiley     Looks like it handles firmware upgrades as well Cheesy
rjk
Activity: 448
1ngldh
we are forced to mine on eclipse? wtf?
p2pool forcing would be the good choice maybe? forcing decentralization through hardware would be genious? xP
As of currently, the BFL units don't play nice with p2pool, although that could be changed with a firmware update.
Activity: 217
Merit: 100
wow that easyminer software is crazy easy.
legendary
Activity: 1400
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...
I really like the layout but it definitely needs to be modifiable (tweaking, pools, etc) before I would change from cgminer.
Activity: 369
we are forced to mine on eclipse? wtf?
p2pool forcing would be the good choice maybe? forcing decentralization through hardware would be genious? xP
Activity: 107
Merit: 10
Wait, hold up, does that say Paypal?

yes, all mined bitcoins get instantly e-mailed to satoshi's paypal account
rjk
1ngldh
EMC offers a PayPal cashout option, and they must have made it work with the API.
legendary
Activity: 1162
DiabloMiner author
rjk
1ngldh

Nice find. Definitely obvious that they are targeting the absolute noobs. That application when released will blow all other FPGAs out of the equation. Hopefully it will support other pools later, although EMC is of course an excellent choice, and Inaba is right next door to assist with compatibility issues etc.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
So you added the cost of 2 FPGA and assumed that is what the final product costs?

No PCB required, no USB controller, no DC to DC power supply, no production costs, no testing costs, no yield issues.

Just drop two FPGAs in a baggie and ship it out by first class mail with a bunch of stamps.  Who knew FPGA miners were that easy to make.
Activity: 55
Merit: 0
They're making these for less than 300. The spartan double boards cost about $370? less? to make and these are previous generation chips.

Most likely the initial power estimates were based on 45nm and sometime during the process they got a line on some cheaper chips and thus the giant leap in power consumption. When they run out, the single ver. 2 will be announced, for delivery in 4-6 weeks.
You have some proof of your numbers? I'm sure everyone here would love to see some hard facts. Lets start with the chips themselves, perhaps you know exactly what they are and how much they cost? No? Then stfu.

Spartan 6 chip = 150-160 confirmed. Total double board cost =$370? reasonable estimate.

BFL selecting something older indicates they got a better deal.

Estimated power consumption going from 20W to 85W indicates there was a change in plan.

single ver.2 will be the elemental part of the mini rig box/rig box that is estimated to achieve similar mh/w to 45nm chips and is being discussed now by bfl themselves.
eldentyrell has all but debunked the assumption of a Spartan 6, and has posted a 10 BTC bounty in his thread for the output of the JTAG pins. I'd trust his judgement first, but I'd also like to see someone get that info and give it to him. I don't have the knowledge of how to do so however.

I'm not saying they used spartan 6. They did not. I'm using it as a comparison. ie If people can make spartan 6 boards and sell them at approx. 50+% higher and that stands up as the market price with multiple sources, then if bfl are using older chips they are doing it because they can achieve a better margin which would put their cost well under $400. My guess was 300 because it was seemingly enough difference to make them totally change their plans and redesign.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Received the following response about 3 hours ago to my query about Rev 3 single and Rig Box

Yes, orders today will receive Rev 3 and lead time is still 4-6 weeks and Rig box lead is 12-15 weeks.

Thanks for your interest.

Sonny K.
BFLabs, Inc.
rjk
1ngldh
They're making these for less than 300. The spartan double boards cost about $370? less? to make and these are previous generation chips.

Most likely the initial power estimates were based on 45nm and sometime during the process they got a line on some cheaper chips and thus the giant leap in power consumption. When they run out, the single ver. 2 will be announced, for delivery in 4-6 weeks.
You have some proof of your numbers? I'm sure everyone here would love to see some hard facts. Lets start with the chips themselves, perhaps you know exactly what they are and how much they cost? No? Then stfu.

Spartan 6 chip = 150-160 confirmed. Total double board cost =$370? reasonable estimate.

Estimated power consumption going from 20W to 85W indicates there was a change in plan.

single ver.2 will be the elemental part of the mini rig box/rig box that is estimated to achieve similar mh/w to 45nm chips and is being discussed now by bfl themselves.
eldentyrell has all but debunked the assumption of a Spartan 6, and has posted a 10 BTC bounty in his thread for the output of the JTAG pins. I'd trust his judgement first, but I'd also like to see someone get that info and give it to him. I don't have the knowledge of how to do so however.
Activity: 55
Merit: 0

rjk
1ngldh

Activity: 273
But they sold those 30 units for $17,970

A wise man once said, "profit matters and revenue means nothing". So how much of that is profit? 20% would be $3594.

Even if they kept them for a week, they'd only make $550

And if they kept them for 4-6 weeks, they'd make an additional $3300 in profit. They just doubled their profit. Who doesn't like to double their profits?

+1 Wink
Pages:
Jump to: