Pages:
Author

Topic: Butterfly Labs - Bitforce Single and Mini Rig Box - page 81. (Read 186929 times)

Activity: 686
Merit: 564
There is no reason FPGA can't have an intensity value just like GPU do.  That is all intensity is doing.  Rather than work on 2^32 hashes at once it works on a smaller subset.
There's no reason why it couldn't in theory, but as far as I can tell it doesn't support one right now. Could presumably be added by a firmware upgrade in the future though.

Of course theses stales would show up.   They are still valid hashes just stale and a good miner (like latest version of cgminer) will submit stales if the pool advised the miner to do (which p2pool) does.  So if the FPGA has too high of a stale rate the bitstream could be improved to work on a smaller subset of the nonce range. 
Looks like cgminer will do actually. There are basically two choices. You can carry on working on every work unit to completion even though you get a longpoll, which is what cgminer does, or you can submit a new work unit to the single and it'll discard any results it found so far for the old work unit and start working on the new one. Either way you lose out, it's just a question of whether you lose by throwing away shares or lose by working on work units that are stale.
Activity: 446
Merit: 250
I got an email back from Sonny the other day. He's saying late this week for my singles.

I run Mac. Wondering if cgminer will compile for me and support the singles?
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Does anyone know how difficult/easy these are to set up to do merged mining on P2Pool?

It shouldn't be any different.

The miner hardware (actual CPU/GPU/FPGA) simply gets a binary blob of data combines it with a nonce that it increments, hashes it and looks for nonces "small" enough". It has really no concept of what it is doing.

It is the mining software which sets up those "work units" and returns proofs of work. 
It is the pool (p2pool daemon for p2pool) which ensures the blockheaders work for both chains.
It may not be that simple. p2pool has its own, much faster parallel block chain which means that unless you want a whole bunch of stales you need to have a reasonably low latency miner. Last time I looked the BitForce singles had a latency of several seconds between finding a share and reporting it because they didn't return any shares until they'd completely processed every nonce in the work unit. That would absolutely wreck your p2pool profits. Because they also threw away any shares when they got a new work unit, this wouldn't necessarily show up as stales either - you just wouldn't find as many shares as you should.

There is no reason FPGA can't have an intensity value just like GPU do.  That is all intensity is doing.  Rather than work on 2^32 hashes at once it works on a smaller subset.

Of course theses stales would show up.   They are still valid hashes just stale and a good miner (like latest version of cgminer) will submit stales if the pool advised the miner to do (which p2pool) does.  So if the FPGA has too high of a stale rate the bitstream could be improved to work on a smaller subset of the nonce range. 
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!
i placed an order to pay with dwolla a few days ago, sent couple emails, PMs even called

trying to be patient... waiting for them to contact me

They're busy.  They obviously want your order, but I imagine it's full steam ahead trying to put together and post out all the pre-orders first.

I guess they haven't anticipated such huge demand, and the factory they've contracted with just overloaded, plus Chinese NY holidays, plus last year you can get 50BTC per block =))). I hope they'll start production ASAP.

well can you call sunny back and tell him to call me! I got $1300 burning a whole in my dwolla and I want to get my order in queue!

(i ordered almost 3 days ago now with no response...)
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431
I guess they haven't anticipated such huge demand, and the factory they've contracted with just overloaded, plus Chinese NY holidays, plus last year you can get 50BTC per block =))). I hope they'll start production ASAP.
that was like, a month ago Roll Eyes
Activity: 686
Merit: 564
Does anyone know how difficult/easy these are to set up to do merged mining on P2Pool?

It shouldn't be any different.

The miner hardware (actual CPU/GPU/FPGA) simply gets a binary blob of data combines it with a nonce that it increments, hashes it and looks for nonces "small" enough". It has really no concept of what it is doing.

It is the mining software which sets up those "work units" and returns proofs of work. 
It is the pool (p2pool daemon for p2pool) which ensures the blockheaders work for both chains.
It may not be that simple. p2pool has its own, much faster parallel block chain which means that unless you want a whole bunch of stales you need to have a reasonably low latency miner. Last time I looked the BitForce singles had a latency of several seconds between finding a share and reporting it because they didn't return any shares until they'd completely processed every nonce in the work unit. That would absolutely wreck your p2pool profits. Because they also threw away any shares when they got a new work unit, this wouldn't necessarily show up as stales either - you just wouldn't find as many shares as you should.

Activity: 628
Merit: 504
i placed an order to pay with dwolla a few days ago, sent couple emails, PMs even called

They're busy.  They obviously want your order, but I imagine it's full steam ahead trying to put together and post out all the pre-orders first.

Activity: 350

Activity: 628
Merit: 504

Just called Sonny, its some sort of problem with web site, he's gonna fix it later.

legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003
Minimum 20% (VAT) of total value (including shipping cost) goes to her royal majesty if I am not wrong.

If it arrives by courier, they may charge another fee on top of that for the handling.

BFL has now put international shipping cost at $88 (forgot what it was before but lower I think), that smells like courier to me.

Yes. This is absolutely right.

I imported a laptop from the US once and I had to pay 2 things : about 30 GBP to Parcelforce for handling it in the UK and about 20% VAT from the declared value of the package as import duty.

So, in summary : EU / UK guys get SCREWED by import fees.

Let us do some calculations : 450 GBP just price + 30 GBP handling fee + 90 GBP duty = 570 GBP price for everything ( just one single ) ?

Does it come with 240V and UK plug support ?

Anyone in the UK can confirm actual figures once they get a unit, if possible ?

Thanks !

I live in the UK and put an order in yesterday via PayPal.  Will let everyone know as soon as it's delivered if no one beats me to it.

Do you know that it's going to take 4 to 6 weeks until you receive it?

Yes
Activity: 448
Minimum 20% (VAT) of total value (including shipping cost) goes to her royal majesty if I am not wrong.

If it arrives by courier, they may charge another fee on top of that for the handling.

BFL has now put international shipping cost at $88 (forgot what it was before but lower I think), that smells like courier to me.

I imported a laptop from the US once and I had to pay 2 things : about 30 GBP to Parcelforce for handling it in the UK and about 20% VAT from the declared value of the package as import duty.

Let us do some calculations : 450 GBP just price + 30 GBP handling fee + 90 GBP duty = 570 GBP price for everything ( just one single ) ?

Thanks !

I live in the UK and put an order in yesterday via PayPal.  Will let everyone know as soon as it's delivered if no one beats me to it.

Do you know that it's going to take 4 to 6 weeks until you receive it?
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

Thanks !

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Thanks !
Activity: 107
Merit: 10
Has BFL provided any comment as to why they have stopped taking bitcoin as payment?

Unless BFL doesn't give a sh*t, then they'd send the parcel from a private address with a private name and say here's your 'magic electronics' you forgot at my place during our new year engineering session at my house. But I doubt customs would fall for that. Maybe they could pretend it being an RMA, but customs may ask you for proof that you actually sent something to them and that you paid tax when you originally bought the item. Might work for a second unit though, you could just pretend you sent your first one back and thats the new one (they will probably ask for a receipt to show you actually sent something back).

Either way, you are screwed if you live in Europe ;-)

Frankfurt in Germany is a good and relax place to ship parcels...

BFL is obviously so overwealmed by the Bitcoin community that they aren even answering their phones or returning emails at this point, lets help it turns around soon , I have been trying for two days to place an order for 2 BFL singles via dwolla and I cant seem to get ahold of ANYONE

We apologize for any inconvenience. We've been processing orders as fast as we can, and catching up with
all of the inquires without delay has been proven to be a bit difficult. We will send your order details as soon as it is
possible for us.

Regards,

thanks BFL

I guess I will wait patiently for you to contact me. I want to order two BFL singles and I have the money ready to transfer out of dwolla the moment you give me the OK. I am really anxious to get this ball rolling

thanks!
Activity: 910
Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

Does this mean that you have a way to ship Eu-customers with our customs seeing the package originating from within the Eu ?
...and if not then what do you mean by this ?
Activity: 227
Merit: 100

Unless BFL doesn't give a sh*t, then they'd send the parcel from a private address with a private name and say here's your 'magic electronics' you forgot at my place during our new year engineering session at my house. But I doubt customs would fall for that. Maybe they could pretend it being an RMA, but customs may ask you for proof that you actually sent something to them and that you paid tax when you originally bought the item. Might work for a second unit though, you could just pretend you sent your first one back and thats the new one (they will probably ask for a receipt to show you actually sent something back).

Either way, you are screwed if you live in Europe ;-)

BFL is obviously so overwealmed by the Bitcoin community that they aren even answering their phones or returning emails at this point, lets help it turns around soon , I have been trying for two days to place an order for 2 BFL singles via dwolla and I cant seem to get ahold of ANYONE

We apologize for any inconvenience. We've been processing orders as fast as we can, and catching up with
all of the inquires without delay has been proven to be a bit difficult. We will send your order details as soon as it is
possible for us.

Regards,
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
I have just cancelled my order of 20 single units so this should be good news for all of you guys waiting in line.

Kudos to BFL for providing my refunds (PayPal) within 5 minutes of me sending an email. One of the refunds may take a while since I used T/T for payment.

I had 20 singles + 1 Rig Box on order but I decided to wait for a few months until they solved all the problems (extra fans, manually cutting holes in the bottom of the boxes) and I see more units out there. I'd hate to see my Rig Box arrive with an extra fan and a huge hole at the bottom of the case.

thats some serious money...
Activity: 489
Merit: 500
Immersionist
I have just cancelled my order of 20 single units so this should be good news for all of you guys waiting in line.

Kudos to BFL for providing my refunds (PayPal) within 5 minutes of me sending an email. One of the refunds may take a while since I used T/T for payment.

I had 20 singles + 1 Rig Box on order but I decided to wait for a few months until they solved all the problems (extra fans, manually cutting holes in the bottom of the boxes) and I see more units out there. I'd hate to see my Rig Box arrive with an extra fan and a huge hole at the bottom of the case.
Pages:
Jump to: