Pages:
Author

Topic: Butterfly Labs - Bitforce Single and Mini Rig Box - page 84. (Read 186929 times)

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
it seems like water cooling might be a good option for these units, both from a performance and noise perspective.

That was my first thought.  Since they appear to be the thermally limited I wonder if you could get 900 MH/s with watercooling.

Two problems
a) no mounting holes.  If it had any kind of pushthrough mounting holes you could use a universal northbridge water waterblock.

b) it looks like heatsink is epoxied on ?  If so removing it is going to be tough and depending on the thermal epoxy used you might not be able to get enough of it off to get a smooth surface for mounting.

Maybe in revision b?  A unit sold w/ no heat sinks or fans for watercooling?
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer

bulanula, are you feeling ok?
legendary
Activity: 922
Merit: 1003
the heatsink is glued on isnt it, not much can be done other than pointing a fan at it

Running it with the side cover removed would likely help; those exhaust holes in the side panels are quite small.
Activity: 81
Merit: 10
the heatsink is glued on isnt it, not much can be done other than pointing a fan at it
Activity: 84
it seems like water cooling might be a good option for these units, both from a performance and noise perspective.
Activity: 518
OK. Now that the product seems to be genuine I have some questions for you all :

-what do you think will happen with the rest of the network ? Will all GPU miners cease to be profitable like the CPU miners ?

-has all the FPGA competition been wiped out with this weapon ?

-what will an ASIC do to the bitcoin network ?

-could this still be a long con and how can we see the warning signs in that case ?

Discuss !
legendary
Activity: 922
Merit: 1003
The BitFORCE can operate up to 27C without throttling (or perhaps 20 max seconds every 12 minutes).
Beyond this temperature, the unit may  go through throttle cycles more often. This may be improved
very soon. We'll do our best to keep the community informed.

I think the option of blinking the front LED when the unit is under a throttle condition is a good one; it gives a quick visual of the 'health' of the unit. If the LED is steady, we can be sure that we are getting full speed without constantly having to monitor the hashrate. I'd rather 'set and forget' it; put it in a corner and glance at the LED once in a while to ensure it doesn't need additional cooling.
Activity: 227
Merit: 100
This runs true for even those people who live in cold climate countries / areas; running an FPGA card in a heated room can result in poor mh/s. 22C is a good temperature but real world ambient tempuratures tend to be much higher.

The BitFORCE can operate up to 27C without throttling (or perhaps 20 max seconds every 12 minutes).
Beyond this temperature, the unit may  go through throttle cycles more often. This may be improved
very soon. We'll do our best to keep the community informed.

Regards,
Activity: 107
I wonder what their production capacity is, would be very interesting to know how many orders have been placed since the device has been confirmed
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
What's a GPU?
Awesome! I want one now! (Everyone wants one now) Oh yeah… Wink
legendary
Activity: 1022
BitMinter
 Cheesy that's cool !
legendary
Activity: 1260
Someone asked this in another thread... yes you can run both BFLs and GPUs from the same CGMiner session:

Activity: 249
Merit: 250
This runs true for even those people who live in cold climate countries / areas; running an FPGA card in a heated room can result in poor mh/s. 22C is a good temperature but real world ambient tempuratures tend to be much higher.
donator
Activity: 532
Merit: 501
We have cookies
+22C recommended environment ?
Oh, I'll never be even close to have a chance to use BFL single :(
We were wondering, what is the actual environment temperature you're operating in?
Usually around +30 C.
+38C at this moment, but it's not usual for most normal people.

Backside of Icarus boards right under the chip reaches +96C in still air at those temps (+38), so I added additional small fan to be sure, since only up to +100C is allowed for those FPGAs. But at least it still worked fine without any errors :)

I care about such things because I don't see a way to create a cold environment for a big farm in 19" enclosures without some serious air conditioning.

* This post doesn't implies that BFL singles are bad in some way, it's clear that my environment is obviously unnaturally hot.
Activity: 227
Merit: 100
Oh, I'll never be even close to have a chance to use BFL single Sad

Hello Deepbit,

We were wondering, what is the actual environment temperature you're operating in?

Regards,
donator
Activity: 532
Merit: 501
We have cookies
Oh, I'll never be even close to have a chance to use BFL single :(
vip
Activity: 1358
AKA: gigavps
Activity: 350
I would encourage gigavps to start his own thread when he posts next. Call it

"Why I'm cooler than all of you or: how I learned to stop worrying and love the BFL Singles."

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw!

Works for me Cheesy
Activity: 616
Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer
I would encourage gigavps to start his own thread when he posts next. Call it

"Why I'm cooler than all of you or: how I learned to stop worrying and love the BFL Singles."

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw!
Activity: 350
Right, now that the other thread has been blissfully locked, this is the main thread for the BitForce units.   As mentioned, it'd be nice to get some updated info in the first post, but not the end of the world if it doesn't happen I guess.

Let's try to keep it civil, yeah?
Pages:
Jump to: