Pages:
Author

Topic: Butterflylabs Huge SCAM - page 31. (Read 415652 times)

copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1465
Clueless!
January 19, 2014, 08:37:40 PM

BFL = SCAM?

Yeah right, which is why the 3 jally I own have paid for themselves and returned a profit...and are still mining.
So, they sold gear that actually arrived and made me a profit, not a scam as far as I can see.

I guess you didn't actually purchase which I why you complain so much, or maybe you were so stupid that you believed you would be the only BTC miner in the world.

There is no scam here, some really poor customer service and over-pricing at times, but no scam.

when did you get you units is the rub?

Searing
Activity: 586
Merit: 251
January 19, 2014, 11:02:07 AM

BFL = SCAM?

Yeah right, which is why the 3 jally I own have paid for themselves and returned a profit...and are still mining.
So, they sold gear that actually arrived and made me a profit, not a scam as far as I can see.

I guess you didn't actually purchase which I why you complain so much, or maybe you were so stupid that you believed you would be the only BTC miner in the world.

There is no scam here, some really poor customer service and over-pricing at times, but no scam.
Activity: 221
Merit: 100
Activity: 9
Merit: 0
January 09, 2014, 05:50:18 PM
So you think your asic will give you positive ROI how fast?

ROI is a funny thing. So far I have paid about £1000 for my various miners (erupter usb, blades, and 3 jally), and have made over 3 btc...at today's price £2100.
However, if I calculate the ROI for any individual asic I am always seriously disappointed.

I'm in a similar boat -- I'm above break-even, but my ROI was significantly lower than what I'd imagined when I placed my order in April, 2013. All things considered, having my BFL's have given me the ability to mine and contribute back to the network. I'm still trying to decide if I'll just deprecate the units I have until they aren't worth running due to energy costs, or if it's better to sell them know second-hand.

Selling them gives me the chance to buy into coins directly... but there's just something addictive about running hardware to mine. I know, it's not rational, but oh well. Smiley
January 09, 2014, 05:01:39 PM

ROI is a funny thing. So far I have paid about £1000 for my various miners (erupter usb, blades, and 3 jally), and have made over 3 btc...at today's price £2100.
However, if I calculate the ROI for any individual asic I am always seriously disappointed.
Activity: 47
January 09, 2014, 02:41:34 PM
I was about to preorder a Monarch and then stumbled on these forums... after seeing the mass amounts of complaints and extremely long time, I opted for some cubes instead.  Anybody receive their late 2013 preorders yet?
Activity: 4
January 09, 2014, 02:22:53 PM
January 09, 2014, 01:26:12 PM
Well, I can't really complain. I have 3 x 9.5 Ghs Jally's running happily. 2 separate orders, first was pre and took forever, but second one took just a few weeks.
Activity: 560
Merit: 504
I know the voices in my head aren't real.
January 07, 2014, 02:57:54 PM
did anyone take part in BFL's big holiday blowout??? i got a few things since the price was right. now if only they will arrive before it to late to use them  Huh Tongue

I ordered one. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

/facepalm

Order a Bitfury based ASIC, you can get 5gh/s @ 5watts for $350, And you'll have it shipped to you in <3days, it will arrive in Did i mention that they are compleatley silent and don't need a power brick?
i already have a few of the blue fury ASIC and its hit and miss. sometimes they work and sometimes they dont. at least not all at the same time. (and they are all on separate powered USB hubs.) im just not as trusting of the Bitfury, Bi-Fury or Blue/Red Fury as i am of the Chili's or Jala's that im using.
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
Okey Dokey Lokey
January 07, 2014, 01:23:11 PM
did anyone take part in BFL's big holiday blowout??? i got a few things since the price was right. now if only they will arrive before it to late to use them  Huh Tongue

/facepalm

Order a Bitfury based ASIC, you can get 5gh/s @ 5watts for $350, And you'll have it shipped to you in <3days, it will arrive in Did i mention that they are compleatley silent and don't need a power brick?
Activity: 1
January 06, 2014, 03:20:11 AM
did anyone take part in BFL's big holiday blowout??? i got a few things since the price was right. now if only they will arrive before it to late to use them  Huh Tongue

Activity: 4
January 06, 2014, 02:48:09 AM
I myself was VERY excited about those BFL SC things (http://www.butterflylabs.com/products/), but it sounded too good to be true. I was one step before pre-ordering the Mini Rig 'SC' for just $30k, which could deliver 1TH/s (update -> 1.5 TH/s according to the website now!). You know what? Bullshit.

Is butterfly labs mining with those ASICs at the moment? (https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/is-butterfly-labs-mining-with-those-asics-at-the-moment-110290)
Hell no! Do you see some huge raise in hashing power? No.
Would it be beneficial to mine on their own devices? Hell yes! More than just selling them.

Quote from: Desolator link=topic=110290.msg1200110#msg1200110
If circumstantial evidence isn't enough, try simple business logic.  The price is set at $149 for a 3500MH/s chip. At current prices, they would make $149 after about 10.8 days of mining!  So why doesn't Butterfly Labs just run them for 10.8 days instead of selling them?  Then they'd have $149 and the chips lol.  I mean seriously, read those last 2 sentences again, people.  You think they're not mining with them?  I can't be the only one that realizes this.  From a business perspective, if you had an investment that would pay off 200% in a month and you sell it off instead, you're a crazy person.

You know the true reason why they are not mining with them? They can't. They don't have them.

But they have already proven legit! They fullfiled the orders and delivered FPGAs!
Sure they have. Gained your trust. And will take them back. And you will pay even more. You will loose your working FPGAs and also money. Huge money.

Trade in terms: Qualifying trade in for upgrades can be either an older generation Mini Rig or 25 older generation Singles. Once your new rig is ready for delivery (currently scheduled for November), you'll be notified to ship your trade in units to us. Upon receipt we'll release your new Mini Rig SC for shipment to you.

They still could have runned before..
They could, but why would they? Establish trust. Then run away.
They could have stolen $1M.

Now they have $30M and the hardware. Many of you fell for it.

Quote from: squall1066 link=topic=89685.msg987282#msg987282
Total Orders (By last seen)        7678

Orders Tracked         227
Trade-In Orders         66

Units Sold   

Jalapeno SC            225
Single SC               231
Mini Rig SC               21

Extended TH   

Jalepeno SC       0.7875
Single SC             9.24
Mini Rig SC               21

Grand Total of   31.0275

I still trust them.
Really? What about that the CEO is a fraduster, sentenced to 3 years in prison and is currently released and violating the terms?

Quote from: elux link=topic=110805.msg1206567#msg1206567
September 15, 2010

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA v. SONNY VLEISIDES

The defendant is hereby placed on supervised release, effective immediately, for a term of three years under the following terms and conditions:
The defendant shall not engage, as whole or partial owner, employee or otherwise, in any business involving loan programs, gambling or gaming activities, telemarketing activities, investment programs or any other business involving the solicitation of funds or cold-calls to customers without the express approval of the Probation Officer prior to engagement in such employment.

As always, I feel terribly sorry for all you guys.

Thanks. Was thinking of their merch, but had questions too.
Activity: 560
Merit: 504
I know the voices in my head aren't real.
January 06, 2014, 12:06:05 AM
did anyone take part in BFL's big holiday blowout??? i got a few things since the price was right. now if only they will arrive before it to late to use them  Huh Tongue
Activity: 16
December 08, 2013, 01:37:15 PM
'There's no way a USB cable would support 120v, it would melt almost instantly the minute it touched anything.'
I have a lot of Raspberry Pis... they all use 5V PSUs. A few months back I bought some Chinese wall worts and used them with my Pis. The Pis ran fine... but when I happened to touch ground on one of the Pis and another grounded metal object nearby I got a massive continuous shock. A multimeter showed that 240vac was present between the USB charger's ground and earth. So now I make sure I test wall worts before use.

So yes, you could put 500v down a standard USB cable, the voltage isn't the issue, it's the Amps. A prolonged short circuit at high voltage will draw enough amps to destroy the cable.

I ordered a 30GH unit from BFL... I didn't think they'd deliver and it took ages... but to my astonishment they did deliver and the machine in question is working just fine. The PSU of the machine is big, more than adequately specc'ed for the purpose and certainly isn't "leaking" electricity.

My only gripe, apart from the delays, is that the unit I ordered and received didn't have a strong enough airflow to keep the chips running cool enough to avoid thermal throttling (at 21 deg C), but removal of the grilles on either side of the case fixed that problem.

BFL has made mistakes... Blackmagic Design has recently too with their incredibly late 4k cameras... but I think a lot of the issues BFL has been experiencing are self-fulfilling prophecies (our self-fulfilling prophecies).
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1040
December 07, 2013, 06:09:36 AM
I may not be a match for your ability to insult people, but my reading comprehension is just fine josh.

'There's no way a USB cable would support 120v, it would melt almost instantly the minute it touched anything.'

No amount of context makes that statement remotely correct. And in this case the context was that the guy actually measured 120V on the USB ground, he made no claims about any load. When I pointed out how ridiculous your statement was,  you "clarified"

'The guy was claiming that it shocked him and that it was plugged into his Jalapeno and also blew out the rest of his equipment... which would mean the wire would have to carry enough amps to do that, meaning it would melt @ 120v.'

Which is no more correct than your first statement, as common sense and basic knowledge of EE and ground loops would tell you, and as indicated by countless posts on your support forum. Your life threateningly shoddy PSUs are leaking 120V through the ground and to the USB, in many cases frying the electronics and tripping circuits, exactly as claimed in the first post you dismissed as impossible. So now its no longer impossible, or did I misread that too?
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
December 07, 2013, 06:02:28 AM
The customers aren't morons, it's just you.  Check the mirror.

Ah yes, no substance, only ad hominems. Tell me Josh, do you still maintain its impossible your customers measure 110V on their USB ports?

Only because you are so pathetic, you're not really worth anything more than that.

To answer you question: No and I've never maintained that... but again, you're too stupid to understand that I suppose.  Reading comprehension is a real trial for you, isn't it?

But lets talk about ad hominem attacks... I wonder who started it.  

Oh look, it was you!

Josh shows his intimate understanding of Ohm's law

Please, go ahead and cry some more when someone makes a mean at you after you act like a complete tool.  Waaaaaa.  Looks like our conversation is done, you are unable to hold an intelligent one.
legendary
December 07, 2013, 05:57:12 AM

Ah yes, no substance, only ad hominems. Tell me Josh, do you still maintain its impossible your customers measure 110V on their USB ports?
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
December 07, 2013, 05:54:41 AM

110V on the USB ground. Where did we hear that before? No molten wires though. Now go tell your customers they are morons Josh, thats what you do best.

legendary
December 07, 2013, 05:34:57 AM
Yes, true, everything you spew is utter bullshit.  Seriously, take 5 seconds out of your constant inane babble, stop drooling all over your keyboard and actually read the thread and try to understand it

Oh I did. And other threads too. You dont have to be an EE to figure out what happened:

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/5295-throw-away-your-bfl-single-power-supply-hazardous.html

You guys are shipping fucking dangerous PSU's that are almost certainly illegal too. But instead of tackling that issue you have nothing better to do than make braindead comments about how its impossible that 120V would travel through a USB cable and insulting everyone on every board.

Some COO you are.

Just today, 5 BFL customers reporting their PSU died, killing their miner in the process:
https://forums.butterflylabs.com/jalapeno-single-sc-support/6643-jalapeno-power-brick-died-usb-port-now-killed.html

Several more stories here, with power trips and even sparks reported from the USB  port:
"only just touched the port without even inserting and several bright sparks arced from the USB cable to the iMac"
https://forums.butterflylabs.com/jalapeno-single-sc-support/5989-safety-issue-jalapeno-causing-power-trips-sparking-usb-port.html

You think those were 12V arcs Josh? Yet strangely, not one reported their USB cable actually melted. But Im the moron right?

BTW no one seems able to get through to CS for an RMA, I guess that couldnt have anything to do with they COO being preoccupied with insulting people on other forums. A man in your function must prioritize.

edit: despite the broken english, this message is pretty darn crystal clear I think:

Problem is in power sources because besides regular output DC 13V 6A (as writen on bottom) passes through also part of AC from power grid. In Czech rep. we have 230V AC in grid and between DC output connector of powers ource and grounding pole in outlet was about 110V AC so about half voltage came through and was grounded by USB ports and ground wire in my PC PSU!!!
Lucky me that PC, three Jalapenos and also three Lancelot miners wasn't fried by these shity power sources...

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/jalapeno-single-sc-support/6213-my-circuit-breakers-keep-tripping-while-i-connected-my-5-gh-s-bitcoin-miner.html#post66627

110V on the USB ground. Where did we hear that before? No molten wires though. Now go tell your customers they are morons Josh, thats what you do best.
Activity: 26
December 07, 2013, 04:20:18 AM
I was also extremely close to buying one! Super glade I went with my ASIC erupter.
Pages:
Jump to: