Pages:
Author

Topic: Can I lose my coins by choosing wrong wallet? - page 19. (Read 3232 times)

Activity: 1055
Merit: 103
www.Artemis.co
I did it several times. Sometimes trusting an unknow web wallet and mostly by missing my private keys or wallet seed words.
I now prefer to keep my coins mostly on exchanges and dedicated wallets whose private keys I control, my private keys are manually distorted, ciphered, written in a notepad and changed the format to that of a video and uploaded in some safe places. Well I exposed it.
Activity: 189
Merit: 10
As long as the private key does not leak, you should not lose token! But I still don't recommend you to attempt any of new wallet, because new wallet is not necessarily better than old one, such as performance, stability, features, and user experience,etc.  why gamble?
Activity: 349
Hi everyone, I found a service announcement of new wallet platform few days ago in our forum.
Their introduction and vision stated in the post seems to be great and it also attracts me a lot.
However, I still wonder whether I can trust that new wallet.
Can I lose my coins by choosing wrong wallet or they can never stole any coin because they just provide wallet service only?

Please help me if you have experience in this field. Thank you.
This is the link to the wallet that I mentioned: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.41338130

Yes, they can. No one knows how their wallets work, so you have to be careful. If they want to prove they do not interfere with the user's property, they have to show us open source (Github, ...). But I can't find it on websites or Google.

Activity: 504
Merit: 16
I think the most secured wallet is the hardware wallet, and the next one is the paper wallet otherwise you may be subject to hacking.
Activity: 644
Merit: 100
Even for well-known wallets, it may be created web site with similar name:( Fishing sites on famous exchanges was in top of the google search for the short period of time... I almost lost my crypto) After that it was a war with the poloniex support to unblock my acc)
Activity: 158
Merit: 0
Yes of course! You can lose your coins if you chose the wrong wallet because it is prone in scamming and hacking. Everyone can do their best to hack a wallet if the wallet's security is too poor. So better choose the safest and correct wallet to store your coins.
Activity: 518
Of course you can, now you need to properly use security methods to not lose money, especially if you will use mew very much hack my friends
Activity: 2744
Merit: 541
Campaign Management?"Hhampuz" is the Man
Yes there are a lot of phishing wallets out there, make sure of the wallet you want to use. We cant afford to lose hard earned money here.

Yups better to use local wallets that supported ba government,or by the securities and exchange commission

From this we can feel the safeties of our money,but in some point those popular wallets is advisable but the fees and the policies are not the same as what local wallets offered
Activity: 341
Hi everyone, I found a service announcement of new wallet platform few days ago in our forum.
Their introduction and vision stated in the post seems to be great and it also attracts me a lot.
However, I still wonder whether I can trust that new wallet.
Can I lose my coins by choosing wrong wallet or they can never stole any coin because they just provide wallet service only?

Please help me if you have experience in this field. Thank you.
This is the link to the wallet that I mentioned: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.41338130

I think you should not. You have to be careful with things like this. Because they can scam you, use it after it becomes popular and trusted. If it's scam you will not be able to complain!
Activity: 112
Merit: 0
Yes, because some wallet can be hacked and can be scam. You can lose all your money in these wallet that are not trustable. Be smart in choosing wallet.
Activity: 812
Merit: 256
Digital money is quite risky! You must consider carefully before deciding to participate. Highly profitable investments will come with great risk! Consider carefully.
Activity: 340
Merit: 11
www.cd3d.app
for me i still choose old wallets that's legit. like MEW, despite of hacking incident happened to this wallet there are still many users love's this wallet. because it is one of the stable wallet and easy to use. just always think even on the other wallet out there you must keep your private key to everyone else. because if someone knows your private key there is an possibility that someone can steal your coins/token.
Activity: 364
Yes, it is very possible for you to lose your coin by choosing a wrong wallet, you should only put you fund in the appropriate wallet for it where it is listed and make sure the wallet also has good potentials and it is safe and reliable for your coin. You should not choose a wallet based on hype, try to research and ensure that it is a reliable one before you keep your coin in it.
Activity: 490
Of course! If you make your choice in favor of wallets that are not popular or wallets that have just started their work, then you can necessarily get into a bad situation, I think that you do not need to take chances.
Activity: 140
Merit: 1
Yes, many wallet are scam and get your token . There ate wallets that can easily hacked.There are more chance of losing your money . Be sure in choosing wallet.
Activity: 153
Merit: 1
Yes, you can, bat the risk of this loss it very low. There are much more chances to lose money with your lack of being smart and being ready for the constant work.
Activity: 728
Merit: 250
I heard some news before that there is a wallet that was hacked I mean not just a wallet but like a network and the private keys of everybody who is using the said wallet were extracted. Not quite sure about the validity of that news but I think that serves a lesson for us that in case you are going to change wallets then do not put everything in the new wallet just to be safe.

You should provide a source for that news or otherwise it is hardly possible to tell if it is true. Networks usually don't get hacked, but the software that's built around them.
Activity: 798
Merit: 38
If you do not any issue with the old wallet, i see no reason why you should rush now into using the new wallet. Virtually everything in crypto now has to be confirmed first, tested and trusted, so as not to loose your fund. Please, stick to the old wallet for now if no issue.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
BuyAnyLight - Blockchain LED Marketplace

The rule for any coin is that if anybody else gets access to your private key(s) can steal your money.
The private key is the "thing" that makes the blockchain recognize the rightful owner of the money and will allow the user to spend.
Like almost everything in IT, the private key can be copied and both you and the "hacker" will have the key. The first one that spend the money "wins".

Now, a wallet normally has access to the private keys to allow you to spend. If the ones that have built the wallet had bad intentions, the private keys will be sent over the internet to them.
That's why I recommend only wallets with source code people can review, wallets already proven to be legit.

Edit: TL;DR; Yes, you can. Easily.
Yes, there is a chance that you can lose your coins, if the developer of the wallet will release private key it over the internet. Mostly they do not do this, because all of such wallets have some commissions and people pay some small taxes for transaction, holdings and etc. It is just not so smart to drop all private keys, if you can have a stable income from this.
Activity: 2716
Merit: 904
definitely you will lose your coins for choosing a wrong wallet, as for my experience i carefully select the wallet provider that i want to trust with my holdings and until now i don't have any issues.
Pages:
Jump to: