Pages:
Author

Topic: Can myetherwallet get hacked? - page 40. (Read 4237 times)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0
January 15, 2018, 03:03:20 PM
Unless you share your private keys with someone, your funds are safe. MyEtherWallet is an interface to allow people access their funds, but your ETH/tokens are stored into the blockchain and not in MEW itself
Activity: 210
Merit: 10
January 15, 2018, 02:56:02 PM
Myetherwallet doesnt store any of your private keys,its just a medium for you to be able to use blockchain easily,no one owns myetherwallet so no it cant be hacked,if it was hacked it will be the end of blockchain and all the crypto itself.
Activity: 320
FIRST SELF-SUSTAINING CRYPTO INFRASTRUCTURE
January 15, 2018, 02:41:59 PM
Hi, i have backupped my pvkeys on an usb stick. I wrote it also down on a piece of paper. My computer broke. I put a metal pin through the harddrives. I will not buy a new pc soon. So i wont check in on myetherwallet for some time. I cant click on phishing links. My question is : are my funds safe? Can myetherwallet get hacked? Can my funds dissapear even when i have no computer, hid my keys? Im to stupid to work with a ledger or trezor. Can something happen to it like with the parity/kill?

Your funds are safe in MEW as long as your private keys are safe. To avoid being hacked do not share your private key, do not click any suspicious links and make sure you are not on a phishing site before you access your wallet.
   If you have no intention of carrying out a transaction and you just want to view your tokens, it is best to use etherscan to reduce the rate at which you login to your account and consequently the chances of being hacked.
   If you are still skeptical about having a web-based wallet, you can download a wallet app OR take the best option of getting a hardware wallet which you've already done.

Activity: 55
Merit: 1
January 15, 2018, 02:11:00 PM
Your money is safe. The wallet is very reliable, and it's almost impossible to hack it.
Activity: 56
January 15, 2018, 02:07:26 PM
Hi, i have backupped my pvkeys on an usb stick. I wrote it also down on a piece of paper. My computer broke. I put a metal pin through the harddrives. I will not buy a new pc soon. So i wont check in on myetherwallet for some time. I cant click on phishing links. My question is : are my funds safe? Can myetherwallet get hacked? Can my funds dissapear even when i have no computer, hid my keys? Im to stupid to work with a ledger or trezor. Can something happen to it like with the parity/kill?
Honestly I am not a good in this technology but i believe that everything on the internet can be hack.
Well if your doubt, you should not place your funds in one basket. You can create another MEW and divide your funds.
I think you are right about hacking on the net. Thank you for your advices! I'm sure they'll help a lot of people to save their funds.
Activity: 364
January 15, 2018, 10:09:10 AM
Honestly I am not a good in this technology but i believe that everything on the internet can be hack.
Well if your doubt, you should not place your funds in one basket. You can create another MEW and divide your funds.
Activity: 504
Merit: 102
January 15, 2018, 10:00:06 AM
Most of problems encountered by myetherwallet is a ddos attack on it, some malware thing that can hack our wallet if we access it in wrong. So its possible to be hack our wallets on it. And additional is if other people know our private key, make sure that our funds will also be stolen
Activity: 322
January 15, 2018, 09:53:26 AM
I read some complains about losing funds at MEW. Means something can be happen without your consent. Be vigilant always. Access your account thru your address not the key.
Sometimes the real mistakes was due to excitement to transtact you input the key instead of the address. Check before you copy and paste your address.

Activity: 22
January 15, 2018, 09:23:18 AM
As long as you have your private keys and don't try to login to MEW from fishing websites - everything is fine, don't worry

This comment made me laugh. I wonder where can I find this FISHING websites. I want to catch some fish also. LOL                                   
 MEW is safe, the real challenge is keeping your key/password safe.
Activity: 56
January 15, 2018, 08:52:36 AM
Paper wallets are for those who wish to have their own private wallets without forking out cash for hardware wallets. The money saved could be invested in their coins. You must note your private keys. The website does not store or transmit any of your private information. If you don’t trust the online version, you can even download it from GitHub and run it offline. Paper wallets are free but require an in-depth knowledge to set it up properly. In short, this type of wallets generally take a lot of hassle and are not advised for novices.
Activity: 560
Merit: 16
January 15, 2018, 08:52:27 AM
As I understand MEW is just interface , all your funds is allocated in ethereum blockchain itself , which can be hacked if computing power of hackers will be greater then 50% of blockchain network . So , the real way how wallet could be hacked is compromising your personal key/password .
Activity: 294
Merit: 19
January 15, 2018, 08:13:09 AM
Never give your passwords out to anyone who asks for them. And avoid fishing websites that ask for private keys. Store these codes in a separate place.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
January 15, 2018, 07:27:18 AM
safety one of the toughest challenges in crypto world but dont worry as long as you dont use your private key much you are safe and don't fall for the phishing scams like the recent attack on etherdelta which i was victim my self on this incident .. just be careful and use metamask or hardwere wallet to secure your funds even more and dont enter your wallet from a computer that you dont own Good Luck
Activity: 434
January 15, 2018, 05:42:08 AM
As long as you have your private keys and don't try to login to MEW from fishing websites - everything is fine, don't worry
Actually no, even though it is said that private keys are not stored on MEW, they are, because you are viewing them when opening your wallet, so there is totally some sort of danger....
Activity: 434
January 15, 2018, 05:37:12 AM
If Myetherwallet got hacked  it would be very bad as there are many many of Ethereum based coins and most of them recommend holding them there.....
Activity: 182
January 15, 2018, 05:04:37 AM
The private key is the needed most to open your account. Having it in your own your wallet is safe and stable in a silent mode.
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1000
January 15, 2018, 04:48:39 AM
It is possible, if you are entering your private keys each time to unlock your wallet then each time you do this you are exposing your private keys which should only be used when you need to restore your wallet.

Try to use a hardware wallet, they really are not that difficult to setup and use, it is far safer in the long run.
Activity: 3038
Merit: 634
January 15, 2018, 04:47:11 AM
Make sure you store you private keys in a completely secure place, other than your main computer and you should be safe.
This is the problem that other MEW users don't do, they are not securing their private keys and they are not checking the website they are visiting.

And that's how MEW balances / ETH's and tokens are hacked. When they mistakenly put it to a phishing site that looks like MEW.

ANYTHING can be hacked.
Yes but still you have to do your own initiative to protect your funds.
Activity: 39
January 15, 2018, 04:46:17 AM
Activity: 70
January 15, 2018, 04:43:06 AM
Solong no one can get your keys you should be fine
Pages:
Jump to: