Author

Topic: Claymore's Dual Ethereum AMD+NVIDIA GPU Miner v15.0 (Windows/Linux) - page 658. (Read 6590565 times)

Activity: 46
Merit: 0
I have 4xRX 480 using Claymore v9.8 (also with v9.7) is crashing in Windows 7 (x64) with AMD Blockchain drivers. Anyone else has similar problem?

EDIT: I followed recommended steps as follows:
1) uninstalled MSI Afterburner in normal mode
2) using DDU to clean up drivers in safe mode
3) installed Blockchain drivers in normal mode
4) patched newly installed drivers in normal mode
5) restarted my rig
6) run claymore without OC
7) got message "Windows closed this program"

yes, i basically did the exact steps you did, claymore 9.8 exits at the pool prompt. win7 did recognize all cards.

seems win7 users are out of luck on this one. not going to switch to win 10, not worth the effort at this point.

Exactly. Considering what others are facing its not worth it to switch to win 10 just for this. Hope this beta gets an update or claymore does.

The current issue with the New Beta Driver is that they changed the API that allows Claymore to properly set the OC and voltages. Once Claymore updates his miner's code with a new release this should be rectified for Win 10 users to OC and Undervolt from the batch files again.
For Windows 7 users I doubt a Claymore update will help. Consider upgrading to Win 10. Even currently on Claymore 9.8 I get my RX580 to work properly with low power usage. Just dont patch driver after install and use Global Wattman supplied with the driver installation to adjust the Voltage.
It's a bit buggy so set to manual, enter your values then apply. Then set it back to Automatically and apply again. Set Core and Memclocks with Afterburner 4.4.0 Beta 16 with the previous mentioned fixes. Those apply correctly to RX580's.
Activity: 6
I was able to go from 28 to 30mh/s with new ReCrimson blockchain beta driver but not able to undervolt my MSI RX 580. Using BIOS Hynix mod.
-cclock 1299 -mclock 2179 -cvddc 960 are my settings. Tried to manually change to manual->automatic in WattMan Radeon settings and no effect. Same with AB 16 beta software. I'll guess it's better to stay with 17.7.1 drivers lose 2mh/s than increase power consumption about 50W/h and getting much more temperature (75c->).
No solution so far? Thanks.
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
I have 4xRX 480 using Claymore v9.8 (also with v9.7) is crashing in Windows 7 (x64) with AMD Blockchain drivers. Anyone else has similar problem?

5) restarted my rig

yes, i basically did the exact steps you did, claymore 9.8 exits at the pool prompt. win7 did recognize all cards.

seems win7 users are out of luck on this one. not going to switch to win 10, not worth the effort at this point.

Exactly. Considering what others are facing its not worth it to switch to win 10 just for this. Hope this beta gets an update or claymore does.

a fresh windows 10 install with all the updates/drivers/setup is less than an hour btw. Just backup all your mining programs and their batch file before.

I'll wait for another Claymore update before "upgrading" to Win10. I hope the problem is in Claymore miner and not in drivers. AMD wrote that they will not update blockchain drivers anymore.

same here. even win10 with this blockchain driver has issues (settings not sticking, power draw etc). i only have a few polaris cards, rest are 390s and a 1070 which are not affected.

if the win10 problems are ever straightened out ill consider it then.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
Is there any real major change between v9.5 and v9.8  Grin
I still use v9.5 and it is very stable for months. I am scared to change it to v9.8  Grin
Can anybody advise?

don't fix what's not broken Wink
Activity: 588
Merit: 104
Is there any real major change between v9.5 and v9.8  Grin
I still use v9.5 and it is very stable for months. I am scared to change it to v9.8  Grin
Can anybody advise?
Activity: 224
Merit: 100

5) restarted my rig

a fresh windows 10 install with all the updates/drivers/setup is less than an hour btw. Just backup all your mining programs and their batch file before.

I'll wait for another Claymore update before "upgrading" to Win10. I hope the problem is in Claymore miner and not in drivers. AMD wrote that they will not update blockchain drivers anymore.

I love the hashrate/price ratio I get from my AMD cards but they are A LOT more trouble to run than my Nvidia cards. I didnt touch the new driver because Im afraid it will crash my rigs (the AMD rigs arent with me so I have to drive if there is a problem with them).

5) restarted my rig

Activity: 224

5) restarted my rig

Activity: 72

5) restarted my rig

legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

5) restarted my rig

Activity: 72

5) restarted my rig

You are not alone few of miners like us are in same situation it doesnt work in win 7 64 bit.

5) restarted my rig

Activity: 46
OK, after some tuning I can confirm below setup is working fine for me with stable 30.4MH/s since 24H:

- clean and fresh Windows 10x64 Home installation + all updates
- latest AMD beta drivers
- AB 4.4.0 beta 16 with applied "voltage control" fix and this one
- no atikmdag-patcher applied
- 4x Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8GB (11265-01-20G, HYNIX memory) with modded BIOS
- latest Claymore 9.8 with no overclocking/undervolting in BAT file

AB config: Screen shot
mv: 970
Power limit: +0
GPU core: 1250
GPU mem: 2150
Fan: 50%
Power from wall: 787W

I managed to get my MSI RX580 Armor 8GB with modded VBIOS to work properly with the New crypto driver by following the above with a slight twist.

http://imgur.com/a/o7srK
After Installing the driver without the atikmdag-patcher applied, i observed that straight after reboot GPU-Z was not displaying accurate readings (GPU load 16% and mem controller 100% without any load). HwInfo64 however was indicating no load of the GPU. I started Claymore 9.8 without any OC settings in the batch file as above.
as indicated below:
http://imgur.com/a/GBkim
It was getting 30.5MH/s but the 990mV from AB was not being applied properly as the card was not undervolting at 990mV but rather 1.1375V using almost 130W and running hotter at 66 Deg Celcius.

Then I did the following that seemed to work:
http://imgur.com/a/RYZgy
I opened Global Wattman that installs with the driver. I went to Voltage control and set it to manual and inserted 990mV there. This dropped my hashrate to 21MH/s!
After setting Global Wattman back to Automatic and applying it then seemed to default to the 990mV setting in AB. Weird right?
From there the card undervolted to the 990mV going back to 30.5MH/s with a power draw of under 100W and descent Temp at 59C. 0.98V stable

As Claymore has posted everytime AMD brings out a new driver they mess with the ADL API which is what 3rd party software use for Overclocking and Voltage settings.
It seems this time not even their own software can properly control the OC and Voltage Settings as i saw the other day with the RX64 Vega Cards and the new driver.

It seems however that by following these steps you can get it to work properly with the new crypto driver.

Activity: 234
Merit: 2
Downvolt is not working. AB or Wattool or Overdirve. It resets in short period of time, or crash rig.
Three ways.
1.AB must be fixed.
2.Drivers must be fixed.
3.Claymor must be fixed.
Someone get lucky AB works for them, but for 90% it not works.

Also i can do downvolt directly in bios - but if i want to change coin and algo - i need change bios again ! Also if i have 100 rigs i will spend a LOT of time.

So problem of DAG is "solved", but now huge problem is power consumption.

2Claymore - is there possible that you will made update of miner, and it will have working downvolt ?

After 24.08 when Ethereum mining profitability drops 20% it will not make much difference at all. Picture looks darker anyway after that too because of september drop bomb. Praying for ETH price jump to the moon
Activity: 214
Just Installed Radeon Crimson Relive Beta for Blockchain 17.30.1029 Driver on my Biostar TB-350 BTC with Radeon R9 Furys and i am running a consistent .7 MH/s faster per card on Claymore's v9.8!

Can you change the voltage?
Activity: 160
@claymore: Voltage control parameters are working fine with my RX470/480 cards (Win10 64bit, 17.30.1029 beta driver for blockchain computing, CDM v9.8 )
Activity: 238

Where did you get "90%" figure?
Why do you think people have to support you when you come up with a lie and start demanding things without a single "please" or "thankyou"?

You such idiot. This is not only one existing forum about all this stuff.

You make yourself looking like an idiot by calling names and not answering straight question...
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
Temp and Fan speeds stopped working using the AMD Relive BETA drivers for mining which fixes DAG issue.
KGV
Activity: 55

Where did you get "90%" figure?
Why do you think people have to support you when you come up with a lie and start demanding things without a single "please" or "thankyou"?

You such idiot. This is not only one existing forum about all this stuff.
KGV
Activity: 55
HERE YOU GO !  Grin WORKS !!!

INTRODUCTION

If you've installed MSI Afterburner before (usually on a notebook) you'd remember it didn't have GPU voltage control. There are unsupported desktop GPU models that require certain workarounds to have voltage control as well working in MSI Afterburner. So this isn't just limited to notebook GPUs.

Simply put, there is a way to get it unlocked for a notebook GPU, but it is limited to +100mV (modified vBIOS allowable) using the fix we are going to apply below. You can read more about this here. (http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=399542)

So how does this benefit you when using MSI Afterburner?

You can monitor the GPU voltage in the OSD now, which wasn't available before.

You can use a modified vBIOS with an increased base voltage that allows the "fix" (voltage control) to utilize the remaining 100mV of overvolt in MSI Afterburner, allowing it to be the primary OC utility.
If you aren't looking to do extreme overclocking/overvolting (with a modded vBIOS but limited to +100mV).

ENABLE VOLTAGE CONTROL "FIX"

Step 1: Go to your MSI Afterburner Profiles folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles)
Step 2: Right-click the file named "VEN_10DE&DEV..." and go > Properties > Security
Step 3: Select "Edit" and then click on "Users (username\Users)" and with the permission boxes below, check "Allow" for the first box - Full control. Click OK and OK again (this allows the file to be saved after editing it).
Step 4: Now you can open the file named "VEN_10DE&DEV..." in WordPad and replace everything you see with this:

[Startup]
Format=2
CoreVoltageBoost=
PowerLimit=
ThermalLimit=
ThermalPrioritize=
CoreClkBoost=
MemClkBoost=
[Settings]
VDDC_Generic_Detection=1

Step 5: Save the file and restart MSI Afterburner
Step 6: Go into MSI Afterburner settings and check the boxes under General > "Unlock voltage control" and "Unlock voltage monitoring" then click OK and restart Afterburner.
Final: GPU voltage control is unlocked and can be used now up to +100mV as well as monitoring GPU voltage in the OSD.

http://voltground.com/misc/MSI_Voltage.PNG

ADDITIONAL NOTES

This "fix" isn't new to overclocking with MSI Afterburner, it's just not a popular topic among notebook users.

Also, when I mentioned, "You can use a modified vBIOS with an increased base voltage that allows the "fix" (voltage control) to utilize the remaining 100mV of overvolt in MSI Afterburner, allowing it to be the primary OC utility" I am referring to having your vBIOS base voltage modified to 100mV below the suggested max voltage for your GPU. You can also adjust the core/boost clocks appropriately to take advantage of this to where it's stable, then flash these vBIOS values. Should you want to use MSI Afterburner as the primary OC utility, you now can since you can adjust voltage the remaining 100mV should you need to max out your overclock.

Note: Raising your base core/boost clocks and voltages to workaround this idea means you will likely run at higher load temperatures since you are no longer using stock vBIOS clocks and voltages, all the time (except idle states).
Jump to: