Pages:
Author

Topic: Cleanup: I'll attack some coins - I owned APEXcoin for 90 blocks - page 11. (Read 17227 times)

legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000
Just what we need after Bitcoin is crashing and people are afraid of hacking, make people afraid of alts and Bitcoin, so they use Apple Pay. Brilliant.

If there are vulnerabilities, maybe inform legit people of them so they can try to repair them, instead of running some new scam?

People should be afraid of POS. It is at a very fundamental level no different from Apple, or a wall street bank, without the safety net provided by the government regulators. POS is a bad emulation of wall street. POW is a good emulation of gold.

Edit: This is not as simple as a code vulnerability that a dev can fix. It is very fundamental.

POW is less safe than POS, because all you need is over 51% mining and you can double spend .
Miners start dropping off as POW mining no longer keeps their profit margin high enough.
POS miners profit margin to stake does not force them to shut down like a POW miner.

If all of us trust government , there would be no cryptocoins.
Cryptocoins exist because less people trust their governments everyday.

Cool
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
Just what we need after Bitcoin is crashing and people are afraid of hacking, make people afraid of alts and Bitcoin, so they use Apple Pay. Brilliant.

If there are vulnerabilities, maybe inform legit people of them so they can try to repair them, instead of running some new scam?

People should be afraid of POS. It is at a very fundamental level no different from Apple, or a wall street bank, without the safety net provided by the government regulators. POS is a bad emulation of wall street. POW is a good emulation of gold.

Edit: This is not as simple as a code vulnerability that a dev can fix. It is very fundamental.
legendary
Merit: 1010

Best when these things are open because it solves the issue quicker, MintCoin survived and is stronger because of it.

Plus: I hardly think we're going to convince him nót to do it. Cheesy

I'd rather conserve my energy and learn what we can if he's going to do it anyway Smiley
legendary
Activity: 882
Merit: 1024

Best when these things are open because it solves the issue quicker, MintCoin survived and is stronger because of it.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
Official Zeitcoin community ambassador

+1
legendary
Activity: 1470
cryptocollectorsclub.com

legendary
I have a valid question, that I'm surprised no one has asked yet. What gives you the right to decide that any coin at all needs to be attacked? It shouldn't matter what your opinion is of any particular coin, there are people who have money tied up in those coins, and you are bragging about having the ability to kill those coins and cause people to lose their money. The fact that you are publicly posting this threat is either incredibly bold, or incredibly stupid.

If however the point you are trying to make is to be some way beneficial to the devs and can be used to strengthen the block chains to prevent attacks like this from happening, then more power to you.

Please tell you I didn't say what?
Activity: 854
The real test for NXT will come if someone sets up a ponzi using NXT.

I have a funny feeling someone did.....
Yep, they did.
and then...
Someone else did it, too. Twice.

Moving swiftly on....I reckon it would be a good idea to give cynicSOB a go on the NXT TestNet. That way, we can provide him with as much TestNXT as he needs to carry out an attack, without worrying too much about incurring real-world costs. And, if any of this works out, we should discuss a bounty.....

Have the Apexcoin devs shown any reaction, thanks or communication about the attack ?
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
I have a valid question, that I'm surprised no one has asked yet. What gives you the right to decide that any coin at all needs to be attacked? It shouldn't matter what your opinion is of any particular coin, there are people who have money tied up in those coins, and you are bragging about having the ability to kill those coins and cause people to lose their money. The fact that you are publicly posting this threat is either incredibly bold, or incredibly stupid.

If however the point you are trying to make is to be some way beneficial to the devs and can be used to strengthen the block chains to prevent attacks like this from happening, then more power to you.

legendary

legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
The real test for NXT will come if someone sets up a ponzi using NXT.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
lots of people complain about the quantity of coins and how the forum is flooded... some proposed ideas to clean it up....
I'll show you how it's done - I'll start attacking weak coins accelerating their death

just wait and see the results, I'll soon show the first victim. Let's start with PoS coins: some people think you need 51% of the supply but this is bs, you need only a very little % if you just want to do a single double spend.

the point of this thread is to see how people react to this: I won't steal from anyone, but some may lose "money".

Some questions:

1. is this a good idea?
2. would you donate so I can attack more POS coins? (maybe spare some coins you are bagholding)
3. would you pay to know the time of the attack and the victim in advance?
4. would you pay for "double spend as a service" (in this case you decide coin and the timing of the attack)?
5. is this legal?
6. do you think someone would pay to have me killed?

go!

update: apexcoin attack successful witih 0,07% of available supply

Do NXT pls and PM me a result. Will donate a bit if successful.

yeesss please.
NXT is badass.
legendary
Merit: 1010
I agree, interesting thread and am curious about future results Smiley

Whatever comes out.

Bookmarking thread.
Activity: 237
Merit: 100
Pretty cool to see attacks being carried out, and I'm a fan of PoS.

How much does changing the PoS algorithm like this (https://blackcoin.co/blackcoin-pos-protocol-v2-whitepaper.pdf) make it more difficult to attack?

legendary
Activity: 1680
CEO Bitpanda.com
lots of people complain about the quantity of coins and how the forum is flooded... some proposed ideas to clean it up....
I'll show you how it's done - I'll start attacking weak coins accelerating their death

just wait and see the results, I'll soon show the first victim. Let's start with PoS coins: some people think you need 51% of the supply but this is bs, you need only a very little % if you just want to do a single double spend.

the point of this thread is to see how people react to this: I won't steal from anyone, but some may lose "money".

Some questions:

1. is this a good idea?
2. would you donate so I can attack more POS coins? (maybe spare some coins you are bagholding)
3. would you pay to know the time of the attack and the victim in advance?
4. would you pay for "double spend as a service" (in this case you decide coin and the timing of the attack)?
5. is this legal?
6. do you think someone would pay to have me killed?

go!

update: apexcoin attack successful witih 0,07% of available supply

Do NXT pls and PM me a result. Will donate a bit if successful.
Activity: 106
Merit: 10
yes, sometimes I'm a cynical SOB
I would bet that this is not the case for btcd. Very high hodl and stake rate due to high incentives.

You would loose your bet. btcd doesn't have a max staking age, meaning if you wait long enough you can attack with as few coins as you want. It's even in a worse position than most others.
legendary
Activity: 817
So basically you can't hit anything of any kind of value. Looks like the incentives are working to me. This thread is a joke.

Coins claiming an attack requires 51% of supply are the joke. The point of this thread is: "51% my ass, it's actually about 5% for big coins and I did it with less than 1% to a small coin". Not joking about this.

I would bet that this is not the case for btcd. Very high hodl and stake rate due to high incentives.
I appreciate your research.

In Nxt, base target gets easier to hit after a long block, but for every account, not just the ones under your control. How would it benefit you?
Thanks.

Yes, but in PPC-style POS the coin age affects every address too and I was able to benefit from it, right? so the fact that it affects everyone is not a problem.

On top of this, I think how the rounding is done in NXT to adjust the difficulty can be gamed for personal benefit. I don't remember exactly, but it's rounded to 30 seconds, right?

The wiki is just copy paste I don't think anyone updated it yet

Ok, wikis are not expected to be 100% accurate.

Stake weight is more than twice what the entire supply is lol please.

Ok, then I need 2x the supply. Or maybe I need 1/30 of that and wait 30 days. So I need 1/15 of the supply. That's 6,6% according to your weight estimate. Not far from the 5% that I mentioned. So again: Not 50%. More like 6%

There's no way you would even be able to afford buying enough to do it.
It's only 10BTC but yes, you are right: I can't afford it.

Let's see how good you are when the total percentage for sale is in the single digits
It's true: there's not much for sale at exchanges. But I think that is because of the high staking %, nobody leaves their coins at exchanges and everyone prefers to stake them. I suspect more people are willing to sell than what the exchanges show.

Challenge issued
I'll have it in mind Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1225
It's true that the last checkpoint for APEX was months ago, but checkpoints wouldn't help against this because I'm rewinding only the few last blocks.

I know some Java, and I'd like to do Nxt eventually - it doesn't have coin age but it has something similar: the time since the last block makes your target easier as time goes by...

I appreciate your research.

In Nxt, base target gets easier to hit after a long block, but for every account, not just the ones under your control. How would it benefit you?
Pages:
Jump to: