Pages:
Author

Topic: Cleanup: I'll attack some coins - I owned APEXcoin for 90 blocks - page 14. (Read 17227 times)

Activity: 106
Merit: 10
yes, sometimes I'm a cynical SOB
Preliminary tests look primising but I still need about a week to accumulate age, so I may have spoken too soon.
But it will be worth it: owning a coin buying only 0,05% of the market cap.
legendary
Activity: 996
Merit: 1013

if checkpoint frequency if faster than standard confirmation times then you don't have POS based consensus, you have centralized bs!

Yea Peercoin-style PoS is that kind of thing. No argument there.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050

The idea for PPC-like POS coins is to make a parallel chain. Eventually you'll succeed in winning against the main chain.

Ok, so you're going to buy a loads of coins and then
grow a chain of your own. And once coin operators get a whiff of what you're doing,
they will resort to automated checkpoints and eliminate your fork.

I'm sure it's a nice hobby though.
Grin

I have been hearing about that sort of attack for months, but nobody tried so far (at least not publicly... which probably means it does not work...)

The idea for PPC-like POS coins is to make a parallel chain. Eventually you'll succeed in winning against the main chain.

grow a chain of your own. And once coin operators get a whiff of what you're doing,

if checkpoint frequency if faster than standard confirmation times then you don't have POS based consensus, you have centralized bs!
legendary

You will? why you didnt?
just testing the waters before I do

If you sink Bitcoin, you will hurt them all. So that is perfect choice.
I can't do that. My point is that most POS coins are insecure. And POW coins with low hashrate (most of them!) too. But BTC is safe.

6. do you think someone would pay to have me killed?
go!

If you are worried about such thing, how about
giving out your technique here so anyone can try and see
if it works.

That would be fair acceleration of coin evolution, not just
playing BCX Jr.

it's no secret and it's been discussed many times. But always some fanboys say that it's not possible, give some wrong arguments and then accuse you of FUD.

Well, I guess this isn't about sinking anything. More likely about making an example and then extort money from the rest Smiley.
mmm... my business model would be more like "attack as a service" Smiley not extortion.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050
still hesitating to buy popcorn for this one...

I don't thing anything will happen at all...
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090
=== NODE IS OK! ==
so.... nothing happened?
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
Well, I guess this isn't about sinking claiming to sink anything. More likely about making claiming to make an example and then extort money from the rest Smiley.

FTFY

Probabaly you are right. Thanks for fixing it for me Smiley.
legendary
Activity: 1225
Well, I guess this isn't about sinking claiming to sink anything. More likely about making claiming to make an example and then extort money from the rest Smiley.

FTFY
legendary
Activity: 1512

Well, I guess this isn't about sinking anything. More likely about making an example and then extort money from the rest Smiley.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288
legendary
Activity: 1225
Let's start with PoS coins

Yes! Please start with Nxt!

You should have a look at https://github.com/ConsensusResearch/articles-papers/blob/master/multistrategy/multistrategy.pdf before you try  Wink

Unfortunately you will just push the price to epic heights when buying your "very little %" of coin supply.

If you then fail at a successful attack (which is very probable), congratulations, you just made all Nxters rich.
legendary
6. do you think someone would pay to have me killed?
go!

If you are worried about such thing, how about
giving out your technique here so anyone can try and see
if it works.

That would be fair acceleration of coin evolution, not just
playing BCX Jr.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090
=== NODE IS OK! ==
You will? why you didnt?
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
keep us updated on your progress, will be interesting.
Try a test run on one of the straight NXT clones: NFD, NAS or NTX can all be had for 1-10 satoshi a pop, and would be a good playground.
Problem is that they don't have much network/tx activity, but that might make your job easier.

interesting! I'll start with POS based on PPC and then do one of those. Or maybe POW, renting hashrate has become cheap and some coins are easy targets. But I'll certainly take a look at those.
Activity: 854
Merit: 1001
Try a test run on one of the straight NXT clones: NFD, NAS or NTX can all be had for 1-10 satoshi a pop, and would be a good playground.
Problem is that they don't have much network/tx activity, but that might make your job easier.
POS 2.0 coins remove coinage from the equation, so now what?

POS 2.0? is that a thing?

When you carry out your NXT attack, could you go to the trouble of documenting every step and the results ?
Even if you fail (  Wink ) there may be a small bounty for documenting the attack,  and if you succeed, there'll be a bigger bounty.
Good luck, mate, give 'em Hell.

Sure, thanks. But attacking nxt requires funding that I don't have. I still claim that it can be attacked with less than 10%
NXT may not have age since last transaction, but it has "age" since last block. It accumulates equally to all miners ("forgers"?), but I believe it can be gamed to obtain more than the fair share of probabilities of creating a fork.
Activity: 854
Merit: 1001
Don't be giving too many hints, D.  Grin

And to cynicSOB:

When you carry out your NXT attack, could you go to the trouble of documenting every step and the results ?
Even if you fail (  Wink ) there may be a small bounty for documenting the attack,  and if you succeed, there'll be a bigger bounty.
Good luck, mate, give 'em Hell.
Pages:
Jump to: