Author

Topic: (Closed) Butter Bot!: Premier Bitstamp, and BTC-E EMA Trading Platform (Closed) - page 108. (Read 274784 times)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Ahhhh Ok..  I see what your saying..  Yea if we could ever get more time settings would be interesting trying it

lol, you're getting me wrong, I don't have that. If I did have that I probably wouldn't be discussing this. I too, am a guppy.

MtGox
Time Period: 2 Hours
Daily Chart
Moving Averages
Exponential 11
Exponential 34

First Buy - January 4th, 10,000 USD @ 13.50

Last Sell - July 18th 324,752 USD @ 97

The four biggest gains are here:

Buy March 16th 46.9
Sell March 23rd 66

Buy March 24th 68
Sell April 10th 200

Buy April 17th 85
Sell April 26th 135

Buy July 8th 77
Sell July 18th 97

This would have been, buy all sell all at exactly the crossovers from January 1st all the way up until July 18th if you had invested 10k on the first Buy signal on January 4th. Yes, I'm sure this could probably be tweaked but these were my results. But since the software is limited to 1 hour max and doesn't allow you to trade at exactly the crossovers I wont be able to try these specific settings.
legendary
Activity: 1183
Merit: 1000

This would have been, buy all sell all at exactly the crossovers from January 1st all the way up until July 18th if you had invested 10k on the first Buy signal on January 4th. Yes, I'm sure this could probably be tweaked but these were my results. But since the software is limited to 1 hour max and doesn't allow you to trade at exactly the crossovers I wont be able to try these specific settings.

Hi Dresden Smiley,
   We are looking into tweaking the time frames but there are technical issues there we have to overcome.

If you are interested in trading at crossovers, the settings discussed above work well:

These are my current options
Hourly
Buy 1: 0, Buy 2: 0.01
Sell 1: 0, Sell 2: -0.01

We do not advocate these settings because as back testing shows 0.25 works much better; but it is easy to do.

Please let me know if you need anything.

Best,
   Pablo.
Activity: 239
I am however considering doing something like, split half of my account into Bot funds and split half my account into manual buy/sell funds and see where I end up after 1 month of use.
lol, you're getting me wrong, I don't have that. If I did have that I probably wouldn't be discussing this. I too, am a guppy.

MtGox
Time Period: 2 Hours
Daily Chart
Moving Averages
Exponential 11
Exponential 34

First Buy - January 4th, 10,000 USD @ 13.50

Last Sell - July 18th 324,752 USD @ 97

The four biggest gains are here:

Buy March 16th 46.9
Sell March 23rd 66

Buy March 24th 68
Sell April 10th 200

Buy April 17th 85
Sell April 26th 135

Buy July 8th 77
Sell July 18th 97

It's funny, I wish I could show you a specialized EMA at 2 hour frequency from January 1st to the most recent sell signal. Looking at something like 10k on January 1st to 340k at the most recent sell signal.

Well man if you have that kind of monster, what you doing here with us guppies?
It's funny, I wish I could show you a specialized EMA at 2 hour frequency from January 1st to the most recent sell signal. Looking at something like 10k on January 1st to 340k at the most recent sell signal.

Finally after much tweaking I've been able to see it execute a trade without help using the 0/# setting.

Hourly

This acts just as I thought it would and sends a message like, "Sell Order Imminent" on the crossover itself (within 1 hour of the crossover), followed 1 hour later with "Sell Order Trigger" after the first notification was sent.

I would like if there was a noob friendly setting so you could just have two checkboxes that would be something like

Buy All Exactly At Crossover [checkbox] (Hover Tooltip - Warning! Choosing this option could possibly lead to a buy that is not based on a trend! This will also override any thresholds set. Do you still want to use this setting?)
Sell All Exactly At Crossover [checkbox] (Hover Tooltip - Warning! Choosing this option could possibly lead to a sell that is not based on a trend! This will also override any thresholds set. Do you still want to use this setting?)

In back testing your settings:   Starting Balance $1,000,  0.55 Trading Fee  Time Frame of back Test Apr 30,2013 to July 24,2013

I show with your settings you would have earned

2013-07-24 19:00 Simulation completed. Balance: 7.729 BTC (734.91 USD)

With the .025 settings it would have earned

2013-07-24 19:00 Simulation completed. Balance: 10.259 BTC (975.50 USD)

So the 0.25 settings still test out better.. 
Not a problem! I consider myself a power user, so I'm always tweaking settings and try to notice when programs might be improved by adding things here and there for ease of usability and what not.

I know that with the nature of this program its not in all of our best interests to make this super easy to use, but for your existing customers I do see this as definitely being a decent usability upgrade for those that would rather not bother with thresholds and are just looking for a bit that will buy and sell at the crossovers, but also gives advanced users the tools to further personalize their experience with the software.
legendary
Finally after much tweaking I've been able to see it execute a trade without help using the 0/# setting.

Hourly

This acts just as I thought it would and sends a message like, "Sell Order Imminent" on the crossover itself (within 1 hour of the crossover), followed 1 hour later with "Sell Order Trigger" after the first notification was sent.

I would like if there was a noob friendly setting so you could just have two checkboxes that would be something like

Buy All Exactly At Crossover [checkbox] (Hover Tooltip - Warning! Choosing this option could possibly lead to a buy that is not based on a trend! This will also override any thresholds set. Do you still want to use this setting?)
Sell All Exactly At Crossover [checkbox] (Hover Tooltip - Warning! Choosing this option could possibly lead to a sell that is not based on a trend! This will also override any thresholds set. Do you still want to use this setting?)

DresdenReader,
      I like the checkbox idea (maybe for more than just crossover options), I will bring that up with the rest of the team to see what they think.

Be sure to post any other suggestions you may have Smiley.

Pablo.

Hourly

legendary
What is the possibility of adding 2 hour, 6 hour, 12 hour and 1 Day intervals?

We are looking at this seriously; it is actually technically complicated because EMA implementation uses 144 data points so for 1 day intervals we would be looking at a 144 day exchange history. We aren't convinced the Mt. Gox or BTC-E API's could take this but we are looking into it. I will post about this when we have some better informations.

Please keep the suggestions coming! We love them Smiley.

Pablo.
What is the possibility of adding 2 hour, 6 hour, 12 hour and 1 Day intervals?
legendary
Setting 0 for a first threshold value essentially negates it and it operates as a one threshold bot.
Pablo.

So, using this logic, when the EMA crossover occurs, the bot will automatically send an email stating "a buy order is imminent" and then 1 hour passes, if the next number it sees in the chart is greater than or equal to your second threshold then it will trigger the buy (or sell)?

Hi Smiley,
  Yes, that is correct, assuming your preceding value is not <0.

Pablo.
Setting 0 for a first threshold value essentially negates it and it operates as a one threshold bot.
Pablo.

So, using this logic, when the EMA crossover occurs, the bot will automatically send an email stating "a buy order is imminent" and then 1 hour passes, if the next number it sees in the chart is greater than or equal to your second threshold then it will trigger the buy (or sell)?
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
Hi Pablo,

Your answers to the specific questions clarified things for me.
Thanks again. No further questions from me. LoL.
legendary
Hi Pablo,

Would it be possible for you to publish the math behind the EMA difference (short/long). This would better explain its significance. And also the  math behind the 2 buy thresholds and the 2 sell thresholds and exactly what happens when you set the thresholds to different numbers.  

I think that if folks could better understand the math and its significance, then maybe we'd enhance our capacity to tinker with the variables.

Thanks again.

Hi Pangia Smiley,
    Hmmm, all the information regarding how an Bitcoin EMA bot works has been amply discussed by Gomboo in his thread here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/goomboos-journal-60501

All 33 pages of this thread cover everything from Back Testing, to the EMA formula, to why it is effective, to how it applies to the Bitcoin market. There really isn't anything that I could post here that has not been much better covered by Gomboo than I could possibly make it. Perhaps it's worth it to say that we first looked to Gomboo's thread for inspiration as he has done a good job of creating a serious case for EMA trading in Bitcoin and explaining the why behind it.

As for your two specific questions:

1. Setting your thresholds to different numbers changes the difference after a crossover at which the bot will trade. The difference is expressed by the threshold values.

2. We use two thresholds to allow you to fine tune your strategy. You can replicate Gomboo's settings exactly by using 0 for the first threshold and 0.25 for the the second. Setting 0 for a first threshold value essentially negates it and it operates as a one threshold bot. See post #16 for recommended settings.

There is no mystery behind how an EMA bot works, the EMA formula is well known. I would really encourage you to read Gomboo's thread if you have not already done so, it covers pretty much everything that needs to be covered regarding EMA Bitcoin trading in more depth than I could possibly put together and has the benefit of many sources and varying opinions as to different strategies.

If you have any specific questions after reviewing this information, please let me know, I am here to hep you with whatever you may need Smiley.

Pablo.
Hi Pablo,

Would it be possible for you to publish the math behind the EMA difference (short/long). This would better explain its significance. And also the  math behind the 2 buy thresholds and the 2 sell thresholds and exactly what happens when you set the thresholds to different numbers. 

I think that if folks could better understand the math and its significance, then maybe we'd enhance our capacity to tinker with the variables.

Thanks again.
Quick question Pablo,

I'm looking at crytotrader.org's back testing and I see that they allow you can set the buy/sell threshold in the script.  I did the following settings:     

context.pair = 'btc_usd'
    context.buy_treshold = 0.15
    context.sell_treshold = 0.15

In the Options/Settings for BTCBot -- would the settings above be the same as Buy Threshold  1= 0 Buy Threshold  2=.15
                                                                                                          Sell Thresdhold 1= 0  Sell Threshold 2=.15

Thank you for your work!!

Hi Smiley,
  It's the same as long as the diff doesn't jump from <0 to >0.15. Then it would trigger one time frame later. So it would be best to set a negative value for the first threshold so that it will always be met when the second one is crossed.

Please let me know if we may be of any further assistance.

Pablo.

Excellent. As always --- GREAT SERVICE. Thank you.
legendary
Quick question Pablo,

I'm looking at crytotrader.org's back testing and I see that they allow you can set the buy/sell threshold in the script.  I did the following settings:     

context.pair = 'btc_usd'

In the Options/Settings for BTCBot -- would the settings above be the same as Buy Threshold  1= 0 Buy Threshold  2=.15

Hi Smiley,
  It's the same as long as the diff doesn't jump from <0 to >0.15. Then it would trigger one time frame later. So it would be best to set a negative value for the first threshold so that it will always be met when the second one is crossed.

Please let me know if we may be of any further assistance.

Pablo.
Quick question Pablo,

context.pair = 'btc_usd'

Jump to: