Pages:
Author

Topic: (Closed) Butter Bot!: Premier Bitstamp, and BTC-E EMA Trading Platform (Closed) - page 52. (Read 274783 times)

Activity: 190
Merit: 100
I changed my settings to one with much lower EMA values, and which still does well in backtesting. A modified version of the one Velacreations posted which got 7000% several pages back.

I hope it'll buy at a good price should the market take another swing down. Otherwise, I'm going to be stuck with fiat for a long time it would seem.
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
So, the bot didn't do very well for me in this latest bit of volatility... I'm on BTCe with the stock settings.
The high point was recorded at over $800, but the crossover didn't occur until many hours later. It eventually sold me out at $498.
At the time of writing, price is rising back up pretty quickly, but I'm in fiat now! Presumably it'll buy me back in soon, but I will have missed out on about $70 and will have less BTC than I had before.

It's fairly understandable that the bot would be blindsided by such violent swings in price, but I'm not sure why it took so much longer to sell me out. Obviously, I'm not saying it's the bot's fault, it's just going on the EMA settings I have. I don't really understand how EMA is calculated so I just have to trust it to do it's thing.

I've been trying to experiment with settings, but the backtesting doesn't seem to correlate with live trades. I have no idea why that is - according to the backtester, I should still be in BTC. Perhaps it's delayed?

Plenty of settings have been posted on the forum, but it seems that the volatility of the market plays quite a huge role. In this current market, I've missed a lot of opportunities.
Does anyone have any suggestions for profiting while BTC is up and down in this yo-yo style manner? Other than 'stop using the bot', obviously.
Any settings that are likely to take advantage of quicker dips and rises?
I'm not too sure what I'm asking for here, but some guidance would be appreciated.

I'm using the "recommended" settings for BTC-e, and my bot sold me out @ $499, similar to you, now the market's back up, & I'm with fiat. I'm afraid I'll end up with less BTC than I had before after this now once it buys in at a higher price eventually.

Pablo, these "recommended" settings are no good if this is what they're going to do! I need some better settings.

Could someone recommend some settings that would sell closer to the peak of $800 than $499, and still buy low, please? I don't understand EMA enough to come up with them myself.

Pablo, this is the kind of bad trading I hope the devs can code a better way to protect against. Maybe they don't need to code anything- maybe I just need better settings, I don't know.

All I know is I just lost a bunch of money & I don't like it.

I don't have any of my settings on hand but if I can get to them later I'll give you some to see if they might help. Best thing to do is to lower your EMA's and play with the timing to make sure you're not real far behind the curve--that's if you're going to let your bot manage it entirely.

Example, when I saw the volatility today, I killed my BTCE bot but let the MTGox one go (as it had settings geared more toward the flux). BTCE had already sold high for me, so I was sitting nice when I killed it as I was holding very low. I then purchased manually on a second downswing and am holding until I can get time later to work on new BTCE settings.

Sometimes you need to keep an eye out on this stuff.. hope your luck changes. The good news folks, is that BTC is going to keep going up.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
The bot doesn't exist to make you money. It auto trades EMA lines with parameters you set.

If you don't understand this method of trading DON'T USE THE BOT. EMA trading is a long-term strategy.

In fact there are smart traders who know that noobs use this bot on default settings and trade against it. I'm sure they are grateful for your extra coins. Be careful.
So, the bot didn't do very well for me in this latest bit of volatility... I'm on BTCe with the stock settings.
The high point was recorded at over $800, but the crossover didn't occur until many hours later. It eventually sold me out at $498.
At the time of writing, price is rising back up pretty quickly, but I'm in fiat now! Presumably it'll buy me back in soon, but I will have missed out on about $70 and will have less BTC than I had before.

It's fairly understandable that the bot would be blindsided by such violent swings in price, but I'm not sure why it took so much longer to sell me out. Obviously, I'm not saying it's the bot's fault, it's just going on the EMA settings I have. I don't really understand how EMA is calculated so I just have to trust it to do it's thing.

I've been trying to experiment with settings, but the backtesting doesn't seem to correlate with live trades. I have no idea why that is - according to the backtester, I should still be in BTC. Perhaps it's delayed?

Plenty of settings have been posted on the forum, but it seems that the volatility of the market plays quite a huge role. In this current market, I've missed a lot of opportunities.
Does anyone have any suggestions for profiting while BTC is up and down in this yo-yo style manner? Other than 'stop using the bot', obviously.
I'm not too sure what I'm asking for here, but some guidance would be appreciated.

I'm using the "recommended" settings for BTC-e, and my bot sold me out @ $499, similar to you, now the market's back up, & I'm with fiat. I'm afraid I'll end up with less BTC than I had before after this now once it buys in at a higher price eventually.

Pablo, these "recommended" settings are no good if this is what they're going to do! I need some better settings.

Could someone recommend some settings that would sell closer to the peak of $800 than $499, and still buy low, please? I don't understand EMA enough to come up with them myself.

Pablo, this is the kind of bad trading I hope the devs can code a better way to protect against. Maybe they don't need to code anything- maybe I just need better settings, I don't know.

All I know is I just lost a bunch of money & I don't like it.
Activity: 63
Merit: 10
then drag and drop the file attached to this
email into the same page, you are all set to go!?

No Robot attached...
Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's sad that you are using a bot without understanding it...

MA is designed to give a smoothing effect therefor filtering out noise like this insane volatility.

But anyway, just shorten your MA Periods.
Activity: 44
Merit: 0

Activity: 448
Heh, wish BB had been smart enough to execute the sale at $900!  Ah well, I wish I had been smart enough to also Wink
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
I know two weeks isn't a good indication for trades based on ema indicators, but using one of the weeks I used the bot for back testing, the bot says I should have made 46% using the same settings I did during live trading.
Thanks.

I echo what the guy above me said, but I would point out it's likely you just have bum settings if it's selling is that far off the mark. I spent hours last week finding settings which worked for each individual exchange to ensure something like that didn't happen.
Activity: 35
I know two weeks isn't a good indication for trades based on ema indicators, but using one of the weeks I used the bot for back testing, the bot says I should have made 46% using the same settings I did during live trading.

And in this market by just holding on the coins you would have made more, still not the bot's fault.
Activity: 8
Is there a way to get a refund?

I've been running the bot for about 2 weeks. In that time, the only thing that's happened is I've lost about 30%. After configuring and running various simulations, I opened the bot up or live action. The bot immediately executed a buy instead of waiting for a reverse crossover. Later, after some particularly volatile action, it sold at a loss due to a crossover. During the reverse crossover, it bought after the price had increased drastically, diminishing any gains that would have negated the original losses. During a subsequent crossover, following more volatile market action, it again sold well below levels that would make its trades profitable.

During the same time frame, I made a 200% increase by manually trading.

Fortunately, my losses by the bot were ultimately minimized because I used the bot with a small test amount ($150). Had I just jumped right in, my losses would have been compounded.

Thanks.
Activity: 462
Free World

Please prioritize ALT-COINS over Hosted trading?

Litecoin is TAKING OFF already... Sad it might be too late soon..

BUMP
Maybe. I don't know if it makes sense for each altcoin to have its own engine settings or not though.
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1003
It would have to keep track constantly of how much of its working capital is from seed fund, & how much is earned, so that when you want to add more it knows how much its allowed to use.

Like so?
It would have to keep track constantly of how much of its working capital is from seed fund, & how much is earned, so that when you want to add more it knows how much its allowed to use.
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1003
All I can think of now is for there to be a way for it to seperate seed funds from capital gains. I'll chime in with more ideas as they come to me.
I mentioned something like that to Pablo in private a few days ago. A sort of Butter BookKeeper. (Simple Accounting)

I think if Pablo's team could work out a way to employ entirely different strategies within one account, then the losses in one strategy can be offset by the win's of another. A crop of the best, settings, working side by side to make some profit.

It's an alternative to a "one strategy fits all". I don't know what came out of it or if he found anything useful in the ideas I presented. But hopefully it inspires some future version. (Considering they are moving to a hosted solution, it just puts a little more money in their pocket if they can sell a wider array of techniques.)

I just hope they consider that most accounts on exchanges need to be KYC verified so it makes it impractical to run multiple accounts with each one having different strategies. With a little simple book keeping you could probably eliminate that problem by keeping numerical tabs on trades being conducted. Even if there is one pool of "seed" funds, it can conceivably be sub-divided. Each subdivision of seed funds inside one account can then be accounted for.

Since any USD from a single account pool is perfectly interchangeable with any other USD from anothe rinstance there wouldn't be a problem as long as the book keeper keeps numerical tabs so it doesn't overdraw seed funds between instances. Same is true for BTC within one account. The only thing distinguishing one BTC from another is just the book keeper.

===================

If you analyze the market carefully you can pick out people using bots to trade with and these bots run on fixed settings. (Heck, you can even use the bots trades to your advantage! (I made a few K today and yesterday just identifying them)

If butter could be retooled for various parallel strategies (even if it is EMA based) it might prove to be a bit more profitable. I am currently trying it out myself to see how it handles.
Pablo,

When altcoins are released, how will the bot know how much of the single pool of fiat to spend on each pool of different coins?

Would I suddenly find myself with all altcoins & no btc one day?

Do we get to assign percentages of the fiat pool for each altcoin?

How does the bot manage that?

Hi Ngin Smiley,
   We are still working out the mechanics of altcoins, but I feel that it would make sense if each currency pair had a pool of currency allotted to it and that it would trade that way. I'm not saying that's how it's going to work, it just seems intuitive to me; thoughts?
Seems logical. Will the bot also be taking into consideration the curves associated with BTC/LTC, etc in addition to LTC/USD? Maybe sometimes it would be cheaper to buy LTC with BTC than USD, and vice versa, I don't know. Either way, I'd want to be able to set limits on how much USD &/or BTC the bot could spend on LTC.

But that amount I set would have to allow for gains due to the bot trading LTC, too.
For example if I say to the bot don't spend more than $100 USD, or 0.3 BTC, and by trading that amount it earns $165 USD, or 1.6 BTC, it should be able to trade with all that it has earned, and not be limited by my settings anymore. See what I mean? How can you do that?

Ngin,
   I see what you're saying. I will forward your comments over to the developer and we will see what we can come up with. I imagine the first release of altcoins will use a simpler system to allot funds for trading than we are currently discussing, but I think you have some good points for more advanced development and work flow.

I'd be interested to know if you have any other suggestions for how you would like this to be handled?

Pablo.

Yes, another detail comes to mind.

Currently the bot can be in 1 of 2 states. Loaded with BTC waiting to sell it for USD, or loaded with USD waiting to buy BTC.

When a LTC sell opportunity presents itself, it ought to choose to sell itself for whatever currency I'm currently loaded with, in order to help maximize the next use of those funds in their cycle.

Once the USD or BTC has cycled to its next position, being loaded with either BTC or USD, the bot ought to allocate the LTC buy funds out of either of whatever currency its sale helped optimize.

See what I'm saying? I hope I'm being clear.
All I can think of now is for there to be a way for it to seperate seed funds from capital gains. I'll chime in with more ideas as they come to me.
Activity: 44
As good as Ngin's feature would be, if it's likely to slow development I'd rather see a release that can just deal with Alt-coin currency pairs the same way BB currently does for now... I'm happy to just run separate accounts for LTC and BTC while you work on a more involved solution for the future.
legendary
Activity: 1183
Merit: 1000
Pablo,

When altcoins are released, how will the bot know how much of the single pool of fiat to spend on each pool of different coins?

Would I suddenly find myself with all altcoins & no btc one day?

Do we get to assign percentages of the fiat pool for each altcoin?

How does the bot manage that?

Hi Ngin Smiley,
   We are still working out the mechanics of altcoins, but I feel that it would make sense if each currency pair had a pool of currency allotted to it and that it would trade that way. I'm not saying that's how it's going to work, it just seems intuitive to me; thoughts?
Seems logical. Will the bot also be taking into consideration the curves associated with BTC/LTC, etc in addition to LTC/USD? Maybe sometimes it would be cheaper to buy LTC with BTC than USD, and vice versa, I don't know. Either way, I'd want to be able to set limits on how much USD &/or BTC the bot could spend on LTC.

But that amount I set would have to allow for gains due to the bot trading LTC, too.
For example if I say to the bot don't spend more than $100 USD, or 0.3 BTC, and by trading that amount it earns $165 USD, or 1.6 BTC, it should be able to trade with all that it has earned, and not be limited by my settings anymore. See what I mean? How can you do that?

Ngin,
   I see what you're saying. I will forward your comments over to the developer and we will see what we can come up with. I imagine the first release of altcoins will use a simpler system to allot funds for trading than we are currently discussing, but I think you have some good points for more advanced development and work flow.

I'd be interested to know if you have any other suggestions for how you would like this to be handled?

Pablo.
Pages:
Jump to: