Pages:
Author

Topic: (Closed) Butter Bot!: Premier Bitstamp, and BTC-E EMA Trading Platform (Closed) - page 51. (Read 274783 times)

legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1003
I think it would be a good thing if the devs were to make a training video that detailed each & every setting & how they affect trading. Explaining like I'm 5, lol.

They could teach things like why & when you'd want to have negative values set, , etc.
Not a bad idea...

They should totally make a techsmith based type of summary.

http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.html

=======[Discount Code for Butter (10% off)]=========

https://butter-bot.com/?r=f5a17f5b

Use my referal code cause' im sooo cute!  Grin Cheesy

You'll get an extra month free, it's all on me!
Activity: 190
Merit: 100
I think it would be a good thing if the devs were to make a training video that detailed each & every setting & how they affect trading. Explaining like I'm 5, lol.

They could teach things like why & when you'd want to have negative values set, , etc.
Here I go again with another feature request.

Settings profiles so we can save different kinds for different market conditions. Also for there to be several immutable stock presets profiles for different conditions, too.

Put it in a drop down menu like Windows classic desktop themes were.

You and I sound alike. See Pablo, he's requesting the same stuff I did haha. Power in numbers!

I think I've heard more people than us who like the idea, its been discussed.

Today especially I could have used an alternate stock preset today is why I bring it up.
Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Settings profiles so we can save different kinds for different market conditions. Also for there to be several immutable stock presets profiles for different conditions, too.

You and I sound alike. See Pablo, he's requesting the same stuff I did haha. Power in numbers!

uck
Activity: 94
Merit: 10
When you turn on the bot, it should ASK you to, if you have your position wrong for what it thinks, to manually trade to get it where it thinks it should be, otherwise it should wait for the first cross.
I think it's not supposed to be arbitrarily executing trades immediately upon being enabled. Fix that bug & no threshold fields are necessary.

It would be the simplest option: wait for a cross to happen and buy/sell depending on the cross and the availability of BTC/FIAT.

That's what I had originally assumed it would do, but it surprised me. Worse than that, it kept sending me sell triggered messages after I disabled it. There was no more BTC left at the time so I don't know if it would've actually sold while disabled or if it was just email ignoring the disabled command.

Undortunately I closed Chrome in order to stop its buggy behavior, and thus lost the pertinent logs for debugging. So once I get more BTC, I'll try to recreate it so I can send logs so it can be fixed. :-)
Activity: 35
Merit: 0
I think it's not supposed to be arbitrarily executing trades immediately upon being enabled. Fix that bug & no threshold fields are necessary.

It would be the simplest option: wait for a cross to happen and buy/sell depending on the cross and the availability of BTC/FIAT.
OK, so the BOT should also have an initial sell threshold price when you enable it (it could be the same threshold price for both buy/sell actually, but I am sure users would like the extra flexibility). Smiley

If the BOT in going to buy the alert should be:

Code:
Do you want to wait until a price of XXX has been reached before allowing the BOT to buy?
YES(checkbox)/NO(checkbox)/CHANGE THRESHOLD(link)

WARNING: If you select NO, the BOT will buy immediately at $CURRENTPRICE. [this could come out in the alert when you check "NO"]

I AM ALL SET, ENABLE TRADING (button).

If the BOT in going to sell the alert should be:

Code:
Do you want to wait until a price of YYY has been reached before allowing the BOT to sell?
YES(checkbox)/NO(checkbox)/CHANGE THRESHOLD(link)

WARNING: If you select NO, the BOT will sell immediately at $CURRENTPRICE.  [this could come out in the alert when you check "NO"]

I AM ALL SET, ENABLE TRADING (button).

So the user will know what is going to happen.
In my case today it was selling at whatever the market price was as soon as I enabled trading, too. It's causing enormous problems.

Now I'm waiting for a manual BTC-e order to go through & replenish my BTC so I can go do it again this time catching it in the logs and sending a proper bug report so it can be fixed.

But since I'm trying to buy real low on the exchange in order to recoup my bot losses today it may be quite awhile until my order gets filled. *Sigh
Hi Pablo,

I think it would be very useful to put a warning that says "WARNING: THE BOT WILL BUY AT THE CURRENT PRICE, WHATEVER THE MARKET CONDITION IS AS SOON AS YOU ENABLE TRADING. (I UNDERSTAND/STOP THE BOT)".

In the future you should add an additional per-market setting like "Initial buy price: XXX".
Then when you click on the "enable trading" link or button the BOT should show an alert that says: "Do you want to wait until a price of XXX has been reached before allowing the BOT to buy? (YES/NO/CHANGE THRESHOLD)"

Of course the BOT should use the threshold only when trading goes from disabled to enabled and not during its normal operation.

This could help with users that start to try the BOT in a day that shows a lot of fluctuation and avoid a situation where the BOT buys at 700 and sells 30 seconds later at 500.

uck
Activity: 94
Merit: 10
Hey Pablo,

I think it would be nice if the bot would provide a chart with EMA lines so we could visualize exactly what different tweaks in our engine settings are doing. It would help noobs like me understand the product.

+100  Can someone retrofit the backtest data output to produce something if Pablo can't get it into the Roadmap?
legendary
Activity: 1183
Merit: 1000
Hey Guys Smiley,
  Lot's of activity Smiley.

About the "Do Not Trade at a Loss" feature, results are not yet conclusive, it shouldn't be overly hard to code, we just don't want to include a feature that looks "good" but that could end up creating losses; especially given that a good portion of our users are new to trading.

About losses or profits in the last market movement, I will say again: you can not account for success or failure with individual market movements you have to look at them in aggregate over a period of time when using EMA. I have been getting emails from people who have had quite some success these past two weeks by tweaking their settings to this particular market (lower time frames, alternate thresholds, etc.).

The issue with this is that it can often work well. Why is this an issue? Because although Butter may generate some losses in a given market, and tweaking Butter to what you as a user perceive the market to be can generate some profits in this market, the math tells us that if we were to look at 50 or 100 markets over a longer span of time the EMA strategy would win out in the end.

I was much more militant about this in the beginning because we designed Butter with the Mathematics of Goomboo's quite in depth discussions and theories in mind but I can understand the lure of immediate profit, in the end it is a personal choice of how you wish to use Butter, it will work either way, you just have to decide what time frame you are looking at.

The "Starter Settings" will stay as they are with the long term view, but please keep in mind you are meant to tweak these as you gain understanding of Butter and according to your own risk profile.

We are also working on improving the trading engine with some other indicators, but it's quite premature for me to promote this as we are still trying to figure out what works and what doesn't; we want to make sure that whatever we release it is not only an improvement over the current engine, but an important improvement over the current engine.

For any issues of a one to one nature (tech support, refunds, etc.) please drop me an email at [email protected] Smiley.
Hey Pablo,

I think it would be nice if the bot would provide a chart with EMA lines so we could visualize exactly what different tweaks in our engine settings are doing. It would help noobs like me understand the product.
Activity: 18
Pablo

I would like to see 'don't sell at a loss' feature.

Please

Here are my new settings, already its trading, not at a loss thankfully.

What do people think of these? Could they be improved?
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
I changed my settings to one with much lower EMA values, and which still does well in backtesting. A modified version of the one Velacreations posted which got 7000% several pages back.

I hope it'll buy at a good price should the market take another swing down. Otherwise, I'm going to be stuck with fiat for a long time it would seem.

It's a long term strategy, not a day trader bot.  You have to accept that.  You can look at the charts and see clearly why its not going to trade.
Activity: 44
So the consensus is that you need to adapt your settings depending on what the market's doing over any given timeframe?
I can play with the EMA settings and get the graph to more closely match the market over the last couple of days and indeed it results in a much higher profit in back testing for the last week. Backtest for the last 6 months however and it results in a drastically lower profit than the stock settings.
Presumably then, when the market starts going crazy I should either have a play with settings until I get lines that are closer to the market movement, or switch off the bot entirely and trade manually - then switch to a longer term setting like the suggested ones for the day-to-day?
I've not had much luck trading manually though... which is why I like the idea of the bot taking control!
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
This situation is the very reason I had mentioned a bot-idea to Pablo in the past, regarding backtesting--being able to select same-day testing (only), or a time frame  so you could specify the previous day or 2 up to present.

This way if things didn't go how you would've liked, you could twiddle with settings to find what would've been better, and then make a note of those settings for future flux.

Hopefully it is a feature Pablo can make happen Wink
Pages:
Jump to: