Pages:
Author

Topic: CoinChoose - alternative site to show respective profitability of the alt coins - page 73. (Read 150604 times)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Please explain the FRC and FRC-F labels on the pie chart.  Thanks.
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
Namecoin price should not be zero just because vircurex is down.  Are you not getting the current price from btc-e?

Oops - fixed.
Namecoin price should not be zero just because vircurex is down.  Are you not getting the current price from btc-e?
Added additional chart (linked from the top)
Activity: 158
Merit: 100
pls fix price with terracoin and bbqcoin...
It's differ from exchanges
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003
how come u post rates from Vircurex when Vircurex is closed atm ?  Huh

That image is still just mining revenue.

This is and isn't just mining revenue.  It is revenue tied to the new coins created per hour - which really is the revenue in the growth of the coin.  So while it is related to mining, it is showing the growth rate of the coin based on current value.

Need I mention that each coin has a different lead time until the next difficulty rate changes. That should be factored into the profitability metric.

How?  Profitability is a percentage, so should a coin that has a difficulty rate change sooner be discounted by a certain percentage?  Or are you thinking something else?
From a simple math perspective - how would you weigh in volume?  I have access to the volume on each exchange (more or less) but are you thinking a weighted average of the currently open trades and then derived from that the most profitable exchange if x number of coins are trade-able?  Any suggestion as to what "x" should be?

It is hard to forecast pricing more than immediate data provides (in a definitive way) but I could look at current open trades on each exchange and weigh appropriately in a second chart (that would go on this new page).  Exchanges that don't give that info (Bter, for example) would no longer be listed.
erk
Activity: 826
Coinchoose only shows mining profitability, which tells you very little about how a coin is doing in the market place. Some of the most profitable coins to mine are a joke to try and trade.

That is what this new chart is meant to address - http://www.coinchoose.com/piechart.php

What other info would you be interested in?

That image is still just mining revenue. Volume traded in BTC or USD is essential in letting investors know how their coin is doing. Last trade price is also a dud metric even for miners, you want a weighted average or candlesticks, you need to know the average trades that are going on, not the spot price. Mining has lead times.

I blame the confusing information on CoinChoose for the recent pump and dump by miners of FTC which has caused the coin all sorts of problems. Miners are pool jumping driven by the rapid changes on the site, from a simple change in profitability score, based on some pretty gross assumptions. Just because the spot price on a coin is X, it doesn't mean the miner will be able to sell his coins at that price, the spot price is usually not the same as the  weighted average price, and it takes time, hours possibly days,  to produce the coins, so by the time he has a salable parcel of coins, the price could have move all over the place. What's worse is without considering the trade volume, the miner is left to think they will always have buyers for the coins, which is often not the case unless they heavily discount, thus proving the profitability rating on CoinChoose to be misleading.

Need I mention that each coin has a different lead time until the next difficulty rate changes. That should be factored into the profitability metric.

Coinchoose only shows mining profitability, which tells you very little about how a coin is doing in the market place. Some of the most profitable coins to mine are a joke to try and trade.

That is what this new chart is meant to address - http://www.coinchoose.com/piechart.php

What other info would you be interested in?
Yep - that is just a sample, but there will be more charts there.  Good idea on the zoom - I'll see what I can do on that.
I created a new test chart here - http://www.coinchoose.com/piechart.php

Feedback is welcome - as I think I will create a seperate page with more charts Smiley

This chart is based on what was discussed here - https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2057479
I like the chart!  But go ahead and fill the whole web page with the image.  On my browser the chart is small with a little less than half the page filled.

Edit: Also, I like pie charts to be sorted by decreasing value.
Edit2: Now that I think about it, you are probably saving space on that page for more charts.  Can you make it so that if we click on an individual chart it shows it full size / full screen?
erk
Activity: 826

I created a new test chart here - http://www.coinchoose.com/piechart.php

Feedback is welcome - as I think I will create a seperate page with more charts Smiley

This chart is based on what was discussed here - https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2057479
Needs API-enabled exchange like BTER and a public block explorer.  Once it is there - I will add.
Once the exchange stops updating, I will drop it.  It is still in the mix as it has an exchange which is something more than just a Google Docs spreadsheet Smiley
I suggest you drop bytecoin from your list.  Current market cap is only 273 BTC, and volume traded over the last 24 hours was 4.12 BTC.
Pages:
Jump to: