Pages:
Author

Topic: Cointerra Mining ASIC coming soon - page 4. (Read 35548 times)

legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1040
November 06, 2013, 03:21:37 PM
Its worth restating Cointerra uses Open-silicon as chip designer. The CEO of open silicon is also on the board of cointerra, and likely an investor. Open silicon is not a small company, and should have plenty of engineers to chose from if for some reason cointerra wasnt happy with the team they got assigned.

Secondly, did you guys miss the title of that job opening ?

Hiring: Principal Verification Engineer for Next Gen ASIC

Activity: 702
Merit: 500
November 06, 2013, 03:20:56 PM
I called them just now and they confirmed that they're quiet because they're working on the tape-out and they're expecting it to be done imminently.

I think I said a lack of statement likely means they haven't completed the tapeout (something that was scheduled for early Oct).  You confirmed my assumption.  Not sure how it was doom & gloom.

Still if the original timeline was tapeout done in early Oct and it is now early Nov how likely do you think delivery in Dec is?

Hint: rocket runs (high cost limited capacity) from foundry generally take 30+ days and standard runs are more like 60+ days.  That is from the date of tape out being complete.   Now that is just raw chips, be sure to add a week or two for packaging, PCB assembly, production, testing and shipping.

agreed, I'm sure they will keep us abreast after tape-out of where it is.  they've certainly paid high expedite fees to the fab so we'll see how fast it comes out.  I'm pretty sure they're expecting closer to 30 than 60 for their chips to come back.  lets hear it from the horse's mouth when they're ready to announce.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
November 06, 2013, 03:18:41 PM
I called them just now and they confirmed that they're quiet because they're working on the tape-out and they're expecting it to be done imminently.

I think I said a lack of statement likely means they haven't completed the tapeout (something that was scheduled for early Oct).  You confirmed my assumption.  Not sure how it was doom & gloom.

Still if the original timeline was tapeout done in early Oct and it is now early Nov how likely do you think delivery in Dec is?

Hint: rocket runs (high cost limited capacity) from foundry generally take 30+ days and standard runs are more like 60+ days.  That is from the date of tape out being complete.   Now that is just raw chips, be sure to add a week or two for packaging, PCB assembly, production, testing and shipping.
November 06, 2013, 03:18:12 PM
Sorry for meddling here but there is an enormous flaw in what you just said. According to that, they didn't say it was imminent two weeks ago when it was already imminent because then they would be repeating themselves one week after when it would be imminent again?

thats definitely a feedback loop if ever i saw one
Activity: 742
November 06, 2013, 03:16:56 PM
It also doesn't make sense a company would heavily hype early October tape out and then go silent without even a single one liner about tape out successful.
Saying "tape out successful" = good for future sales.
Saying nothing = bad for future sales.
There is absolutely no cost and only benefit for the company to announce their successful tapeout unless it hasn't happened.
Saying tape out not successful = death to the company, so they chose the next best choice..  say nothing.

you guys are always predicting doom and gloom, and with the deafening silence i can see why its easy to make that assumption ...

I called them just now and they confirmed that they're quiet because they're working on the tape-out and they're expecting it to be done imminently.  they don't want to be saying repeatedly that its coming soon so they confirmed that its imminent - i.e. within days not weeks, and that all is well.. and that they will announce it the second its done (.. and to let them get on with it ;-)

you'll get the same answer if you call them.  so, lets wait a few days and see what happens!

Sorry for meddling here but there is an enormous flaw in what you just said. According to that, they didn't say it was imminent two weeks ago when it was already imminent because then they would be repeating themselves one week after when it would be imminent again?

Activity: 546
Owner, Minersource.net
November 06, 2013, 03:13:35 PM
It also doesn't make sense a company would heavily hype early October tape out and then go silent without even a single one liner about tape out successful.
There is absolutely no cost and only benefit for the company to announce their successful tapeout unless it hasn't happened.
Saying tape out not successful = death to the company, so they chose the next best choice..  say nothing.

you guys are always predicting doom and gloom, and with the deafening silence i can see why its easy to make that assumption ...

I called them just now and they confirmed that they're quiet because they're working on the tape-out and they're expecting it to be done imminently.  they don't want to be saying repeatedly that its coming soon so they confirmed that its imminent - i.e. within days not weeks, and that all is well.. and that they will announce it the second its done (.. and to let them get on with it ;-)

you'll get the same answer if you call them.  so, lets wait a few days and see what happens!

They have been saying "hey don't want to be saying repeatedly that its coming soon so they confirmed that its imminent" for weeks now. They had plenty of time to roll out "hosting" to get more money- but still no news on what would be hosting. You should probably plant the grain before you worry about building the bakery dont you think?
November 06, 2013, 03:11:15 PM
Saying tape out not successful = death to the company, so they chose the next best choice..  say nothing.

I called them just now and they confirmed that they're quiet because they're working on the tape-out and they're expecting it to be done imminently.  they don't want to be saying repeatedly that its coming soon so they confirmed that its imminent - i.e. within days not weeks, and that all is well.. and that they will announce it the second its done (.. and to let them get on with it ;-)

you'll get the same answer if you call them.  so, lets wait a few days and see what happens!
Activity: 185
Merit: 100
November 06, 2013, 02:20:56 PM

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
November 06, 2013, 11:25:50 AM

Activity: 114
Merit: 10
November 06, 2013, 11:19:18 AM
Job postings from the Cointerra site today (11/5/13):

Hiring lead physical design engineer
Hiring principal design engineer
Hiring principal verification engineer

Cointerra could you please comment on how this plays into your tape out schedule? This is your only official news posting on the site in the last 20 days...

these guys (like I said from first whiff) are just a bunch of contracting power point whiteboarding apes that live off of soaking up 6 month budget cycles

There are TONS of brilliant speaking non-producing professionals squawking daily in conference rooms across the world

Enjoy their vaporware

This is the most likely scenario.  It doesn't make any sense that an organization would sandbag a successful tape out and hire some more people to do a R2 chip.  This reeks of ineptitude.
Activity: 85
November 06, 2013, 11:02:48 AM

you don't think its more likely that they've finished their first silicon and are now hiring a team for their second silicon.  In other news, kncminer's design partner, Alchip announced they're working on their second KnC silicon yesterday and BitFury is working on their second one..

Starting the second chip seems to be what people tend to do after they've finished the first chip.  Since hashfast has taped out already, do you think their asic engineers are now twiddling their thumbs or do you think may also be working on the next one too?  which is it, hashfast fanboy?

While that is possible, it doesn't seem likely to me... but the purpose of the post was to have Cointerra comment on why they are hiring prior to announcing a chip status update for Goldstrikes.

Cointerra please respond.
ImI
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1019
November 06, 2013, 07:18:27 AM

What is Cointerras refund-policy?
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007
November 06, 2013, 06:33:19 AM
you don't think its more likely that they've finished their first silicon and are now hiring a team for their second silicon.  In other news, kncminer's design partner, Alchip announced they're working on their second KnC silicon yesterday and BitFury is working on their second one..

Starting the second chip seems to be what people tend to do after they've finished the first chip.  Since hashfast has taped out already, do you think their asic engineers are now twiddling their thumbs or do you think may also be working on the next one too?  which is it, hashfast fanboy?

Proof of both statements?
Activity: 125
Merit: 100
November 06, 2013, 06:19:29 AM
you don't think its more likely that they've finished their first silicon and are now hiring a team for their second silicon.  

Are you insane?  By your logic, they finished designing something that beats every other ASIC maker, yet they're keeping that fact a secret.  That makes a tremendous amount of sense.

Anything else you'd like to postulate on?
November 06, 2013, 04:55:08 AM

Cointerra could you please comment on how this plays into your tape out schedule? This is your only official news posting on the site in the last 20 days...

Wow, looks like Conterra fired their whole R&D team (most likely for blatant incompetence).

So much for Ravi and the ASIC All-Stars!

Conterra customers should start expecting delivery in 6-8 months from now.

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
November 06, 2013, 01:25:25 AM

Wow, looks like Conterra fired their whole R&D team (most likely for blatant incompetence).

So much for Ravi and the ASIC All-Stars!

Conterra customers should start expecting delivery in 6-8 months from now.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
November 06, 2013, 01:21:17 AM

these guys (like I said from first whiff) are just a bunch of contracting power point whiteboarding apes that live off of soaking up 6 month budget cycles

There are TONS of brilliant speaking non-producing professionals squawking daily in conference rooms across the world

Enjoy their vaporware

Activity: 85
November 06, 2013, 12:56:52 AM

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
November 05, 2013, 08:25:48 PM
Oh goody, now I can purchase hosting for a chip that hasn't even been completely designed and won't physically exist for at least 60-90 days.
It was possible earlier to purchase a hosting for a machine with a yet non-existing chip: at KnC (in June-August), at BFL (Monarch), at Black Arrow (Minion)...
If it is completely designed and how long it will take to produce, is another matter.

A chip passes through several stages on its way from conception to hashing.

HashFast, KnC, BFL, and BlackArrow have taped-out their chips, so they actually exist on paper and somewhat/partially exist in the physical world.

Conterra has still not yet taped-out, so their chip design is not complete and thus their vaporware cannot be said to exist even on paper (much less the real world).

The only reasons for a month-long delay between mock and actual tape-out are

1) when put into physical simulation Conterra's chip didn't perform at the desired 'wishful thinking' spec of [HashFast + 1] and had to be re-designed to fix that

2) Conterra didn't raise enough money to pay for the rest of the NRE and some wafers

3) Conterra didn't raise enough money to pay for fixing the broken initial design and a second tape-out

4) some combination or all of the above
RHA
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
November 05, 2013, 07:22:02 PM
Oh goody, now I can purchase hosting for a chip that hasn't even been completely designed and won't physically exist for at least 60-90 days.
It was possible earlier to purchase a hosting for a machine with a yet non-existing chip: at KnC (in June-August), at BFL (Monarch), at Black Arrow (Minion)...
If it is completely designed and how long it will take to produce, is another matter.
Pages:
Jump to: