Pages:
Author

Topic: Cointerra Mining ASIC coming soon - page 9. (Read 35548 times)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250
October 20, 2013, 03:46:20 AM
So what's the deal:

1. Is this company legit?
2. What do you suspect the BTC mining output will be for the DEC/JAN shipments?

I'm thinking the opinions are pretty wishy washy.

seems like venture capital greater fool game here

it'll end with someone taking a big tax writeoff

Activity: 509
Disrupt the banking system!
October 20, 2013, 03:38:53 AM
So what's the deal:

1. Is this company legit?
2. What do you suspect the BTC mining output will be for the DEC/JAN shipments?

I'm thinking the opinions are pretty wishy washy.
October 20, 2013, 03:25:54 AM
Any updates on this?  If they don't tape out soon there's no way the December units are going to ROI.  What's with the complete lack of updates?

2TH by December is probably going to make a little over 1 btc per day at the rate this thing is climbing.  A lot of people are going to get crushed by all of these companies.

luckily this one doesn't really exist

hashfast is kinda a wish on a star as well
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
October 20, 2013, 02:44:42 AM
Any updates on this?  If they don't tape out soon there's no way the December units are going to ROI.  What's with the complete lack of updates?

2TH by December is probably going to make a little over 1 btc per day at the rate this thing is climbing.  A lot of people are going to get crushed by all of these companies.
Activity: 608
Merit: 500
October 20, 2013, 02:40:57 AM
Any updates on this?  If they don't tape out soon there's no way the December units are going to ROI.  What's with the complete lack of updates?
October 16, 2013, 09:35:58 PM
2TH in Jan is like having a couple Avalons right now

They'd have to sell 20TH for $5,000 to get anyone to sign up now for Jan
Activity: 702
October 16, 2013, 09:13:56 PM

Time is already telling.  Specifically, the time now (second week of October) versus Cointerra's tape-out target date ("first week of October") is very telling.

I notice you never explain how Cointerra can make physical claims about their chip's GH/W/sec before they have put it into physical simulation.  Maybe you should take on that challenge instead of going for cheap shots at me?

I think the point youre missing is that tape-out is the end of the physical design and simulation process but that that you get substantially correct data way before you tape-out.  Once physical design has been finished and layout has been done, you can do power and timings simulations and get pretty accurate data.   Every single other asic company in the bitcoin world has done the same thing.  You dont need to wait til you tape out to get that data.  You get it during the physical design process, weeks before you actually tape-out.

The typical physical design process starts when the rtl is complete and the functional simulation already works.. And takes about 3 months (though knc & hashfast have both proved you can do it in closer to 2 months if you really motivate everyone at the physical design house to work fast and sleep less.).  Cointerra is also trying to do it in less than 3 months... We'll see if they make it.

Btw, im not a complete stranger to silicon design, though its been a long time since ive done it.  My team designed one of the first (possibly The first) gpus, and also an early risc microprocessor that competed with arm, though we didnt alas beat them. Once standardised in a cellphone the rest was history.

And as for being late to tape out... I was aware of the tape-out goals of several of the asic companies, and whether they revealed the dates publically or not, few, if ever, tape-out on the day they expected to.  Things happen, its not an exact science.  Of course i had hoped ct wouldve taped out last week.. But im sure theyre busy trying to make up lost time and tape out just as soon as they can.  Theyre still expecting to deliver systems in december (and seeing as knc did it (well done guys), and hashfast are expecting to do it (fingers crossed), i see no reason why cointerra cant also expect to go from tapeout to actual shipping systems in 2 months as well).  Those guys all paid extra to their fabs to get the 'super rocket runs' or whatever the fab calls it when they charge shitloads extra to make things happen faster.  Literally the fabs employ guys to hand carry the wafers during the mask production phase and move things along much quicker - almost twice as fast - as their regular priced mask layer production.

I just think youre plain wrong to keep writing that cointerra cant design rtl worth shit.  Its insane.  Ct has a chip spec that thats more GH per die mm than any of the others, and that didnt happen by accident.  Maybe it took them too much extra time to optimise the circuitry so much better than the others.. Maybe that was time wasted when they couldve been shipping earlier like the others are... But instead, ct's differentiator is that they'll have a very efficient chip.  And of course i wouldve liked to see it hashing weeks sooner, but i also dont only intend to hash with it for a week or two, but will have it switched on for perhaps the whole year... So i want it to be the fastest gh's, for the fewest dollars, and use the lowest KwH... And i think the extra time ct spent optimising the design will have longterm payback.

Sorry crumbs for another wall!

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
October 16, 2013, 08:42:51 PM
blah blah blah

and based on the ct specs they are either completely making it up (unlikely), or they have performance the others could only dream of.. and you couldn't accuse them of not being able to code RTL.  What a ridiculous assumption.  And icebreaker claiming that the ct engineers' years of experience designing intel, nvidia, and samsung chips is somehow a negative for them being able to design a bitcoin mining asics, is pure insanity.  and claiming that designing for low power is a simple skill and a disadvantage when designing bitcoin asics... when the whole point about bitcoin hardware is to design for low power & performance.. a difficult balance but one that certainly people who are used to designing for low power will be used to.  The ceo of cointerra is the ex-lead architect of samsung's cpu division - and the samsung galaxy S4 phone is very impressive, especially its cpu (ok, and its oled screen).  some of the other hardware engineers at cointerra came from the graphics chip world, known for their high performance asics and optimised datapaths.  to claim, as icebreaker does, that these guys cant 'write rtl code worth shit'... shows how far removed from the truth the guy is - and if not insane, just a troll with a huge chip on his shoulder and a penchant for overzealous untruths.    whats he scared of?  that cointerra might actually deliver what theyve promised?   they sure have a lot to live up to... the spec theyve 'promised us' is significantly faster, lower power, and way cheaper than any of the other options out there (and, delivered later, its true)...    whether they deliver what they promise - only time will tell!

Time is already telling.  Specifically, the time now (second week of October) versus Cointerra's tape-out target date ("first week of October") is very telling.

I notice you never explain how Cointerra can make physical claims about their chip's GH/W/sec before they have put it into physical simulation.  Maybe you should take on that challenge instead of going for cheap shots at me?

You really dig yourself in by mistakenly including Samsung in your list of actual chip design companies like Intel and nVidia.  Samsung isn't doesn't design CPUs, they simply license IP from ARM, etc and throw the pre-made components together on SOCs.

"ex-lead architect of samsung's cpu division?"  Oh please!  Samsung's Galaxy runs on a CPU designed by ARM:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S#Processor

The Samsung Galaxy S used the Samsung S5PC110 processor.  This processor combined a 45 nm 1 GHz ARM Cortex-A8 based CPU core with a PowerVR SGX 540 GPU made by Imagination Technologies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_Cortex-A8

The ARM Cortex-A8 is a processor core designed by ARM Holdings implementing the ARM v7 (32-bit) instruction set architecture.

You need to educate yourself on the facts before presuming to correct and daring to scold your superiors.

You really seem incapable of understanding the difference between integrating prebuilt parts for a SOC and designing a new kind of Bitcoin ASIC from scratch.

If Cointerra can write RTL worth shit quickly, why has their tape-out been delayed for over a week?

Activity: 210
Merit: 100
October 16, 2013, 08:36:53 PM

Any way to combine two consecutive walls of text into a single megawall of text?

Why dont you give it a try

You're not even trying Angry
October 16, 2013, 08:27:35 PM

Any way to combine two consecutive walls of text into a single megawall of text?

Why dont you give it a try
October 16, 2013, 08:06:57 PM
I still don't get it how come they didn't raised 5 mil $ while HashFast raised 20 mil $ (seems a bit much), Avalon had 8 mil $ for chips and KnC managed to raise more than 5 mil $.

RS, if i had to guess how much each company has raised.. I wouldve put KnC firmly at the top (this year), since they were the first to offer 28nm, and took a lot of pre-orders, back in the day when people still thought pre-orders were a great idea...  So i would bet that if anyone's taken anywhere close to $20m, its KnC.   And of course, ButterFlyLabs, who are probably well in excess of $20m in pre-orders.  I would guess more like $40m...!  And of course, theyre shipping... of sorts!

I really dont think the other guys.. Be it hf, ct, cc, bf, etc... will have raised anywhere close to $20m from their pre-orders.  But i think they WILL do well once theyre shipping in volume, as the 28nm guys (and bitfury) have got significantly better hardware than the older generation guys..  the guys offering silicon that needs more than 1 watt/GH and doesnt offer sub $5/GH dont stand a chance in the next round.

Going off topic a bit here... But in 2014, the bulk of the sales of bitcoin hardware will be those products that are low cost, high performance and low power.  Ie: Complete Systems (not chips) selling for <$3/GH in early 2014, <$2/GH in mid 2014, and probably even <$1/GH by end of 2014 (assuming a die shrink to hit that figure).  And the only people who can do that will be those that have extremely high GH speed asics - best value is the highest GH per die area (gh/mm2) since most of the rest of the system cost is identical between suppliers (they all have a box, some fans, some heatsinks, some power supplies, a controller board etc... All pretty much the identical cost of goods...  so the only differentiator will literally be how many GH's they squeezed out of a mm of die!   The more optimised the designs, the higher the GH will be per die sq mm and the better asics will become the dominant players in the market, when it becomes a commodity.
October 16, 2013, 07:30:19 PM
I still don't get it how come they didn't raised 5 mil $ while HashFast raised 20 mil $ (seems a bit much), Avalon had 8 mil $ for chips and KnC managed to raise more than 5 mil $.

RoadStress, the only person who said that Cointerra didnt raise enough cash to meet their NRE is Icebreaker - that doesnt make it a fact.  no asic company, has ever announced how much cash theyve raised.. not knc, not hashfast, not cointerra...  The fact that cointerra doesnt sit here manning the forums arguing with every troll doesnt mean whatever bull that comes out of icebreakers keyboard should be taken with anything other than a pinch of salt.  maybe he's scared they might actually ship what they promised...

Judging by the colour of his ignore button i think its safe to assume the truth is pretty much the opposite of much of what he says.  We shall see if they raised enough for their tape-out NRE in due course, if and when they announce their tape-out.  And what will icebreaker say then?  he'll find some other way to spread FUD... Since they claimed to have done a mock tape out recently, its probably safe to assume their actual tape out isnt so far away (no doubt its later than planned, but so were most of the others too, including icebreakers favourite xyz company.   (hashfast went from mock tapeout to tapeout in about a week or two so lets see when ct does it)   ct updates its own web site and alas doesnt maintain a presense on these forums, but i dont think anyone rational could conclude that theyve given up as the nice renders of their hardware box design show more detail than ive seen from any of the others so far (except KnC... well done Sam & Andreas!)

and based on the ct specs they are either completely making it up (unlikely), or they have performance the others could only dream of.. and you couldn't accuse them of not being able to code RTL.  What a ridiculous assumption.  And icebreaker claiming that the ct engineers' years of experience designing intel, nvidia, and samsung chips is somehow a negative for them being able to design a bitcoin mining asics, is pure insanity.  and claiming that designing for low power is a simple skill and a disadvantage when designing bitcoin asics... when the whole point about bitcoin hardware is to design for low power & performance.. a difficult balance but one that certainly people who are used to designing for low power will be used to.  The ceo of cointerra is the ex-lead architect of samsung's cpu division - and the samsung galaxy S4 phone is very impressive, especially its cpu (ok, and its oled screen).  some of the other hardware engineers at cointerra came from the graphics chip world, known for their high performance asics and optimised datapaths.  to claim, as icebreaker does, that these guys cant 'write rtl code worth shit'... shows how far removed from the truth the guy is - and if not insane, just a troll with a huge chip on his shoulder and a penchant for overzealous untruths.    whats he scared of?  that cointerra might actually deliver what theyve promised?   they sure have a lot to live up to... the spec theyve 'promised us' is significantly faster, lower power, and way cheaper than any of the other options out there (and, delivered later, its true)...    whether they deliver what they promise - only time will tell!

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007
October 16, 2013, 07:14:48 PM

RoadStress, whats your source for the hashfast $20m?

we know they offered 550 Baby jets for sale.. at $5800 each.. so thats, er, $3m.. and that theyve sold newer models at lower prices... but what else do we know that gets us to a $20m number?

Honestly i didn't kept track, but i'm pretty sure i read it somewhere. Threads are advancing too fast so i can't keep track. Maybe cypherdoc said it in a post. Can someone help me?
October 16, 2013, 06:58:59 PM

RoadStress, whats your source for the hashfast $20m?

we know they offered 550 Baby jets for sale.. at $5800 each.. so thats, er, $3m.. and that theyve sold newer models at lower prices... but what else do we know that gets us to a $20m number?

legendary
October 16, 2013, 03:40:53 PM

The market got tired of IPOs/pre-orders by the time Cointerra launched.

When Cointerra/CryptX went public the miners, investors, and speculators were exhausted and broke from

-BFL
-ASICminer
-Avalon
-Bitfury
-ActiveScamming
-KnC
-Hashfast/IceDrill
-LabScam
-ScamGarden
-etc, etc, etc

There was simply not enough demand to meet Cointerra's oversupply, everybody was all in and tapped out.

Cointerra was late to the party, conceding first/early mover advantage to their more nimble and engineering focused competition.

Now they are at least a week behind their self-imposed "first week of October" deadline for tape-out and are desperate to get the rest of the NRE paid.  Hence the fire sale on Jan 2014 hardware.

No CC and Paypal.

I must +1 this. If they were legitimate there was no reason to not accept at least CC payments. Paypal is a risk because they can block the account, but i don't see a reason to not accept CC payments.

Also as i stated before i read the Securities sub-forum very seldom, but it seems to me that there are 2 separate groups of people. One group is the one that is active here and wants real hardware and one group is the group that wants shares in mining companies and i don't think you can say that people ran out of money. I see that people are interested in buying BitFury boards for 1k$, why wouldn't they be interested in Cointerra?
legendary
Activity: 1121
Merit: 1003
October 16, 2013, 03:35:23 PM

When Cointerra/CryptX went public the miners, investors, and speculators were exhausted and broke from

-BFL
-ASICminer
-Avalon
-Bitfury
-ActiveScamming
-KnC
-Hashfast/IceDrill
-LabScam
-ScamGarden
-etc, etc, etc

There was simply not enough demand to meet Cointerra's oversupply, everybody was all in and tapped out.

Cointerra was late to the party, conceding first/early mover advantage to their more nimble and engineering focused competition.

Now they are at least a week behind their self-imposed "first week of October" deadline for tape-out and are desperate to get the rest of the NRE paid.  Hence the fire sale on Jan 2014 hardware.

No CC and Paypal.

+1
would have placed an order already if that was in place
Activity: 420
October 16, 2013, 03:32:44 PM

-BFL
-ASICminer
-Avalon
-Bitfury
-ActiveScamming
-KnC
-Hashfast/IceDrill
-LabScam
-ScamGarden
-etc, etc, etc

No CC and Paypal.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
October 16, 2013, 02:23:56 PM

-BFL
-ASICminer
-Avalon
-Bitfury
-ActiveScamming
-KnC
-Hashfast/IceDrill
-LabScam
-ScamGarden
-etc, etc, etc

Activity: 546
October 16, 2013, 02:17:24 PM
just got a mail from these guys - whats the word on them?

i see the price has dropped from 15000 to 6000 usd.

The price difference is December vs January shipping.

I'm so tempted to order from them. 2 TH/s for that price seems amazing. But then I think about what the difficulty will be in January and I realize that 2 TH/s in January isn't any better than 500 GH/s now. Sigh.
legendary
October 16, 2013, 02:03:20 PM
Pages:
Jump to: