Pages:
Author

Topic: Cointerra Mining ASIC coming soon - page 5. (Read 35548 times)

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
November 05, 2013, 05:40:45 PM
Just announced by Cointerra: http://terraminehosting.com/
TerraMine Hosting currently offers four exclusive hosting packages at a discounted introductory price.

12-month hosting for TerraMiner II for $2,699 until Nov 15th (After Nov 15th $2,999)
    6-month hosting for TerraMiner II for $1,599 until Nov 15th (After Nov 15th, $1,899)
    12-month hosting for TerraMiner IV for $3,499 until Nov 15th (After Nov 15th, $3,999)
    6-month hosting for TerraMiner IV for $2,599 until Nov 15th (After Nov 15th, $2,999)

The monthly fee includes all running costs as well as setup and management fees charged by the hosting provider.

(It's not an offer for mining power like at cex.io. You have to have a TerraMiner ordered first to make an order for hosting.)

Oh goody, now I can purchase hosting for a chip that hasn't even been completely designed and won't physically exist for at least 60-90 days.

It sure is easier to offer ASIC hosting than complete the tape-out of an overly-ambitious chip that simply copied HashFast's specs and optimistically aspires to one-up them.   Roll Eyes

Another first for Cointerra!   Grin  Now with 50% more ballpark estimates and wishful thinking!   Grin

RHA
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
November 05, 2013, 05:08:13 PM
Just announced by Cointerra: http://terraminehosting.com/
TerraMine Hosting currently offers four exclusive hosting packages at a discounted introductory price.

12-month hosting for TerraMiner II for $2,699 until Nov 15th (After Nov 15th $2,999)
    6-month hosting for TerraMiner II for $1,599 until Nov 15th (After Nov 15th, $1,899)
    12-month hosting for TerraMiner IV for $3,499 until Nov 15th (After Nov 15th, $3,999)
    6-month hosting for TerraMiner IV for $2,599 until Nov 15th (After Nov 15th, $2,999)

The monthly fee includes all running costs as well as setup and management fees charged by the hosting provider.

(It's not an offer for mining power like at cex.io. You have to have a TerraMiner ordered first to make an order for hosting.)
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
October 31, 2013, 11:46:52 AM
Gives me some confidence...though I really wish they would update us regarding this tapeout...

The tape-out was supposed to be finished the first week of October.

It's now the last day of October.

Cointerra is, at minimum, one month behind schedule.

And of course they will have other delays.

So there is zero chance of Cointerra shipping in Dec.

Jan 2014 isn't looking good either.

So much for Cointerra's 'Dream Team.   Roll Eyes
Activity: 608
Merit: 500
October 31, 2013, 12:06:41 AM
I posted this in the hashfast thread:

My hashfast contact and I have been working on the cgminer driver for a while for this protocol, and fortunately since they contacted me early, their final protocol is quite different to what they originally had in mind. I'm very pleased with the design overall, and the cgminer driver for it we've been working on will be pushed to a public repository tomorrow.

To be fair, cointerra had contacted me effectively even earlier in their development process than hashfast, so I'll have had even more input into their final protocol and driver design.

Gives me some confidence...though I really wish they would update us regarding this tapeout...
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
October 30, 2013, 09:51:37 PM
I posted this in the hashfast thread:

My hashfast contact and I have been working on the cgminer driver for a while for this protocol, and fortunately since they contacted me early, their final protocol is quite different to what they originally had in mind. I'm very pleased with the design overall, and the cgminer driver for it we've been working on will be pushed to a public repository tomorrow.

To be fair, cointerra had contacted me effectively even earlier in their development process than hashfast, so I'll have had even more input into their final protocol and driver design.
October 28, 2013, 03:45:53 AM
Cointerra, is there any way that you guys could deliver more hashrate to the December orders?

Each Terraminer IV has four GoldStrike1™ chips in it (Hence the IV in the name!)

Each GoldStrike1™ has a minimum hashrate of 504 Gh/sec at 1.4 GHz but the cooling system is designed to support chips clocked up to 700Gh/sec (2 Ghz) depending on binning.  So, it's possible that each Terraminer IV might have a speed of 2800 GH/sec

Source is here: http://cointerra.com/cointerra-demonstrates-working-fpga-releases-additional-chip-details/

Will
Unless they're guaranteeing all the December batches will hit a much higher hash rate there's just no way were going to be able to justify a December unit vs January.  Even at three terahash it looks iff, the difficulty has managed to go up a lot more aggressively than even I thought. 
Activity: 702
October 27, 2013, 06:10:27 PM
Cointerra, is there any way that you guys could deliver more hashrate to the December orders? 

Each Terraminer IV has four GoldStrike1™ chips in it (Hence the IV in the name!)

Each GoldStrike1™ has a minimum hashrate of 504 Gh/sec at 1.4 GHz but the cooling system is designed to support chips clocked up to 700Gh/sec (2 Ghz) depending on binning.  So, it's possible that each Terraminer IV might have a speed of 2800 GH/sec

Source is here: http://cointerra.com/cointerra-demonstrates-working-fpga-releases-additional-chip-details/

Will

agreed, its pretty normal in the bitcoin world, to overclock and overvolt the systems...   but they can only be sold, as a pre-order at least, based on their nominal speeds...  which is why KnC sold theirs as a 400 GH and now its 500-550 GH after it arrived.   And Hashfast is quoting a 400 GH chip but fully expects it to run much faster... and the same is true of cointerra...   I'm quite sure their 504 GH chip can be overclocked and overvolted as well (yes, hopefully to 700.. but we'll see).  Looking at the size of their radiators in the back of that thing, its pretty serious.. and the fans look pretty meaty too... so I'm sure the cooling system is more than capable of supporting some overclocking and overvolting.  quite how much i guess we won't know til we plug it in, which is exactly what Sam kept telling me at KnC... he said he knew it would overclock but he honestly didn't know by how much til they tried it.

-- Jez

Activity: 767
October 27, 2013, 04:57:38 PM

Each GoldStrike1™ has a minimum hashrate of 504 Gh/sec at 1.4 GHz but the cooling system is designed to support chips clocked up to 700Gh/sec (2 Ghz) depending on binning.  So, it's possible that each Terraminer IV might have a speed of 2800 GH/sec

Will
Activity: 74
Merit: 10
October 27, 2013, 04:40:29 AM
Did they taped out already?
Activity: 462
October 27, 2013, 03:40:20 AM
just saying people are gunshy  - need to put bigger bait on the lure
Activity: 518
Manateeeeeeees
October 27, 2013, 03:35:20 AM
2TH in Jan is like having a couple Avalons right now

They'd have to sell 20TH for $5,000 to get anyone to sign up now for Jan

So 120GH/s now is like 2TH/s in January?  So you're saying the difficulty will be ~16x higher in January (6,450,000,000).  I really don't think the difficulty will be that high in a couple short months - it basically makes no sense.  Even if every single unit on this page ships, we're only at 20PH (~6x diff increase):

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/estimate-of-asic-pre-orders-13-to-15-phs-diff-18b-to-21b-by-end-of-2013-283820

And TONS of that equipment will not ship by January.
Activity: 518
Manateeeeeeees
October 27, 2013, 03:30:59 AM
This would make January customers rather angry unless they got the same benefit. 

At the rate difficulty has skyrocketed the December orders are not going to be able to recoup the cost difference between themselves and orders from one month later.
I never could understand how they could cut their prices so low for just a 1 month difference.  I wouldn't be surprised if more people ask to be moved into the January order queue.  I even ran the analysis on $10K Terraminer IVs ($5/GH), and even that doesn't make sense for the same investment after April (eg. 4 machines at $6K each versus 3 machines at $10K each). 

Perhaps it would be better to cancel your December orders and double your hashrate in January.  Just saying..
Activity: 462
October 27, 2013, 03:24:41 AM
2TH in Jan is like having a couple Avalons right now

They'd have to sell 20TH for $5,000 to get anyone to sign up now for Jan
October 27, 2013, 01:35:18 AM
Cointerra, is there any way that you guys could deliver more hashrate to the December orders?  At the rate difficulty has skyrocketed the December orders are not going to be able to recoup the cost difference between themselves and orders from one month later.  KNC Miner ended up shipping about double the initially promised hashrate and I think something similar would be very beneficial.  Right now it's looking like it will be impossible to recoup the $8000 cost difference between your batches and unless you want people demanding refunds en masse I think increasing the amount of hashrate you're shipping to the early adopters would ease a lot of concerns.  I don't know how much is the right amount but as of right now there's no way 2 terahash is going to be enough to recoup the difference, barring some insane explosion in BTC price (which is going down).

Please consider this, I know a lot of us are really reconsidering our purchases. 
Activity: 185
Merit: 100
October 26, 2013, 04:18:46 PM
Hello,
Just wanted to weight in and let everyone know that we are still on target for our delivery dates.

Does that mean your GoldStrike1 ASIC chip has taped out?
Activity: 113
Merit: 10
October 26, 2013, 04:01:13 PM
Hello,
Just wanted to weight in and let everyone know that we are still on target for our delivery dates.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1040
October 26, 2013, 05:36:11 AM
Are Cointerra legit?  Do they seem capable of delivering on time?  I don't want to see another BFL fiasco/clusterfu*k.

What do you think about this? Your personal opinion.

Legit? Yes, cant be any reasonable doubt.
Able to deliver? As in having the ability to pull it off, yes, no reasonable doubt there either. Will they? Who the fuck knows. Even intel sometimes misses their time tables. So far, not a single bitcoin asic vendor has come to market without some delay in their planning (yeah even bitfury). It seems reasonable to add at least a few weeks to their published timelines.

Of course the most important question is omitted: even if they pull it off, ship on time and within spec, will it be profitable? My opinion: nop.

Everyone wants to make money mining, the simple fact is that as more people want that, the less they will earn and far too many are already invested to warrant the current hardware prices. Just wait a few months and see what happens.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
October 26, 2013, 05:33:12 AM
Are Cointerra legit?  Do they seem capable of delivering on time?  I don't want to see another BFL fiasco/clusterfu*k.

Haters going to hate (I read that in a BFL thread somewhere)
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007
October 26, 2013, 05:29:37 AM
Are Cointerra legit?  Do they seem capable of delivering on time?  I don't want to see another BFL fiasco/clusterfu*k.

What do you think about this? Your personal opinion.
Activity: 191
Merit: 110
October 26, 2013, 01:22:17 AM
Pages:
Jump to: