Pages:
Author

Topic: Crypto Kingdom - 1991 Retro Virtual World(City) - page 64. (Read 632672 times)

donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
Cool thanks for the thoughts!

There might be differing opinions on what follows, but the original intention with CK is that it should help and support Monero, and make Monero bigger and more successful. Not the other way round. Specifically, the return on investment should predominantly be the success and increase of value of the players' Monero stash. Even if CK also could provide a positive return, which historically it indeed has done, even in excess of XMR.

After this long period of juggling with a tiny self-supporting community, ongoing game, and evolving design and development spex, we are now in the crossroads. It is hardly truthful to say that a small scale game for a few hundred people is crucial for the life of Monero. So that path, even if easy to take, should not be taken because it avails nothing. It leaves us with a significantly enlarged game, or no game at all.

As I said, "enlarged" hardly means much more features in the software, but it means much more work for the team, in polishing and testing the gaming platform, making it scale, marketing, and all the other activities happily ignored all this far. It does require a conscious decision to do it, and a plan on how to do it. There has to be a number of people committing time and money to it. This is also the community seal that we are doing important stuff. [As previously, nobody needs to commit without expectation of a handsome return if the game succeeds.]

Why do I suddenly question the very existence of the game? Last summer, we were in dire straits, Town was in debt, there was no gaming platform at all, it had been paused for 3+ months, and much less accounts than now. Most importantly, we did not have a developer. So, why question it now? The answer is:

Monero is 400% up from that time. (fiat terms) We are in the situation with 5x the finances to make the game great. So I am waiting for encouraging PM's from people who want to inject cold, hard cash to the development as it costs them nearly nothing compared to a year ago or any other time.

Enthusiastic community is a must have, in community-based development that this is. While it is understandable that everyone needs a break (also I had one  Grin ), coming back after the break with renewed zeal is quite central. We are not so many, and if everyone ignores the game and becomes wealth managed instead, we don't have a playerbase, and no game. This is not a Poloniex after all. Playing is a part of it!
legendary
Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001
If you believed two years ago that "Monero is a cutting-edge building block of human liberty", then it is so now.

No other cryptocurrency has displaced Monero in that niche (yes, human liberty is a niche, sadly). People flocked to other niches in turn, but liberty is a timeless attraction, which is sure to bring more people in time. I believed Zerocash could top it, but I am not sure now, mostly because they suffer from similar scaling issues as Monero, and because their privacy is optional, and therefore may be treated as prima facie evidence of wrongful intent. So, for the time being, Monero is no less a cutting-edge building block of human liberty as it was then.

Is CK crucial for Monero ? I cannot tell what would have happened if CK had not been here. However, it often takes not much to push past a threshold which makes something self sustaining. Monero is still around, despite all the naysayers. CK is too. Monero certainly helped CK survive and develop. A growing CK will certainly help Monero grow, though at which size this becomes substantial, I do not know.

In the end, as I said on wednesday, as many other things, you can't know whether you will succeed, but you know that if you do not persevere, you will not succeed. I intend to persevere with Monero.
donator
Heh, hundreds of pageviews after I posted the last one, yet no replies...

I have nothing much new to add, so please read it again. In the Town Council we had the following discussion agenda:

1) there needs to be a reason to do it
2) there needs to be a plan what to do when winning
3) there needs to be a plan for losing
4) there needs to be a plan how to win
5) it needs to be done

Why even have CK in the first place? The reason to "do it" (resurrect from the pause and design and develop Clans to potentially reach 100,000s of players) would be that it is important, even crucial, for the adoption of Monero. And that Monero is a cutting-edge building block of human liberty. Do all of these even hold true any more, after 2 years?

Only after becoming re-convinced of the importance of the mission, it's reasonable to do the planning, and then the execution.

You don't get anything done if you question its validity all the time. But once in every 2 years it is very much useful to check it.

And the lull of the pause has given everyone the benefit of being a little distanced and more objective to evaluate.

As before, I see no reason to hide the important discussion anywhere. So please reply here Smiley
donator
A short update - PJ has been working all the time, and as he wisely put, "we will need to wait for King to sync our teams before starting game", this exactly is the case. While game development is hard work, and needs to be done fluently, it is still just work, and many popular games are not very stellar designs at all.

Our next stage, Clans, is not just about good design and implementation. It is a make or break situation, but I see it a make or break situation of community, marketing, and organisation, why not even finance, legal and other under-the-hood or backoffice tasks. I trust in my ability to design a game, and PJ's to realise this vision. But what we are trying to accomplish here, is to make it big, and so it cannot be a 1-2 man show any more, and the things I have purposefully neglected this far (to save time for design and hooking in the early adopters), will need to be addressed.

Crypto Kingdom was conceived in October 2014 to be a lure for gamers to become cryptocurrency users, to be a funnel that would filter large numbers of people that have not used any cryptocurrencies before, and make them grow into XMR through the game. The purpose was not to make a great standalone game. That business is done somewhat differently, and is more straightforward and less interesting (and neither approach has any guaranteed success).

The implementation plan for the era of Clans will need to be more organised and less agile than the one so far. More work needs to be done in the fields that so far have not been the focus. Rallying up more people and getting them to contribute useful pieces of the puzzle, is a skilful job, and suited for someone else than me. A community builder is needed to handle the aspects that I cannot manage while simultaneously forcing the development. More work means more money is needed, so the XMR whales will be contacted if they see that the game is worth their participation. The design and staying power are proven with 2 years of history, but this does not guarantee that the window of opportunity to greatly benefit Monero (and the whole of the free world) is still perceived to exist. So in front of us are very interesting weeks, just like in every other point in time so far!

Hardly an hour has passed without my thoughts processing the matters of the Kingdom, so in this sense the holiday has not been completely satisfactory  Cheesy CK has become such an integral part of my life that as we will now raise the banners and blow the horns for everyone to join the troops once again, it truly feels like a long sleep is losing its grip and the rays of sun make the world living again.
Activity: 36
Merit: 0
These are great news PJ! But can you give us an estimate time of when the game will resume? btw the new logo link does not work. It says forbidden access. Wink

Thanks for notification and sorry for issue with link. It should work properly now.

Regarding estimation, we will need to wait for King to sync our teams before starting game, but I expect to activate it very soon Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 1035
Not your Keys, Not your Bitcoins
These are great news PJ! But can you give us an estimate time of when the game will resume? btw the new logo link does not work. It says forbidden access. Wink
Activity: 36
Merit: 0
Hello everyone,

I hope you enjoy your holiday Smiley

As it is previously announced , after 1 of playing CryptoKingdom Ultima game in new interface with more interactivity than ever, there is a moment to step into next stage of development.

New stage is called CryptoKingdom Clans and, sure, we have new logo too:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BySGTS-P87aeeUhNVmt3Qlg5Rzg/view?usp=sharing

Let me mention only a few things which will be part of:
- improved command line   
   Now is everywhere you go, accessible in every moment of playing
   Also, it is more secure one too! It will ask you to confirm every order before you execute it, just to make you sure.
   No more issues with pressing enter in the middle of command!

- Edit your home the way you want it
  Place your house, garden and all other elements where you want it. That layout will become visible on global map of the chapelry too.. So, our CK world will start displaying real lots and houses..

- Quests
  This one will be huge Smiley
  It will provide you extra source to earn some good new objects or M, but also help you to learn game concepts and mechanics faster and more convenient..

- Background tech improvements
  We did a lot of technical improvements in background in order to speed it up and make more stabile

Looking forward to see you there enjoying in results of hour hard work, once game summer pause is finish.

Let games beggins! Smiley
Activity: 260
Merit: 105
A Lingering Ghost
Hello there!

I hope to hop on a holiday soon too...
legendary
Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000
Just stopped by to say hi Smiley I have enjoyed the summer break, and the opportunity to reset. Development is going on by the wizard all the time, and I will re-join active duty soon as well. Post your greetings here likewise! Smiley

Aloha!

Your pic makes me happy  Cheesy

Hello, YM. Glad to hear all is well.
donator
Just stopped by to say hi Smiley I have enjoyed the summer break, and the opportunity to reset. Development is going on by the wizard all the time, and I will re-join active duty soon as well. Post your greetings here likewise! Smiley

Aloha!

Your pic makes me happy  Cheesy
Activity: 714
Merit: 504

Aloha!
donator
legendary
Lets say I want to buy a quantity of CKGold, do I need to play the game or is there an investor-only option for joining Crypto Kingdom?

There is an investor-only option available. You need to create a FOC account,but there is a fee of 50 XMR if I remember well. Please take into account that the game is in a PAUSE at the moment for further development and it will resume again in some weeks,so now you can't make any actions.  Wink

Friend of the Court? Cool  Grin, I'll wait the game resume to buy into then!

FOC actually stands for Foreign Owned Corporation.  Grin It is a great option for people who don't have time to play,but only want to invest in the game.  Check out this wiki page http://cryptokingdom.gamepedia.com/Foreign_Owned_Corporation to find out more.
legendary
Lets say I want to buy a quantity of CKGold, do I need to play the game or is there an investor-only option for joining Crypto Kingdom?

There is an investor-only option available. You need to create a FOC account,but there is a fee of 50 XMR if I remember well. Please take into account that the game is in a PAUSE at the moment for further development and it will resume again in some weeks,so now you can't make any actions.  Wink
A Lingering Ghost

It is likely that the NPCC will close as planned. They will get to sell the suits to the market as explained above, and benefit directly of the full value of the suits as the money received will yield points. Even if that, for some reason, does not happen, their full value will be taken into account as Syksy explained.

In any case, the NPCC need not do anything now. Or anyone else. The game is paused, and will wake up from the very same situation. Enjoy the break!  Cheesy

Does this mean we can log in on a view only mode or will logins be disabled.

As you have noticed and most at the IRC channel, only the time/calendar related events have been paused, e.g. production and spoilage of certain goods, progression of age and health challenge etc.
So in theory one can still function at the Agora market as normal, if I have understood correctly, which at least I don't mind.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team

It is likely that the NPCC will close as planned. They will get to sell the suits to the market as explained above, and benefit directly of the full value of the suits as the money received will yield points. Even if that, for some reason, does not happen, their full value will be taken into account as Syksy explained.

In any case, the NPCC need not do anything now. Or anyone else. The game is paused, and will wake up from the very same situation. Enjoy the break!  Cheesy

Does this mean we can log in on a view only mode or will logins be disabled.
donator
10. When the module [Clans] opens, there is first a 2 year grace that the lacking number of suits will not cause penalty to the owner of the NPC. Then, according to my discernment (which will be communicated as it comes), the penalty will take 5-10 years to rise to the planned level approximately linearly. At the same time the happiness bonus for having excess suits will start from a higher-than-normal value and decrease to the planned level approximately linearly.
11. The NPCC remaining suits will be sold at market when the NPCC ends, so that the NPCC will get points for the money raised. The money goes to Town in the end. This procedure will be announced in advance so that at least 48 hours is given for placing the bids before the dump may start, and the total liquidation time is a year.

A Lingering Ghost
Dear all NPCC competitors,

first of all, I want to thank you all for bearing with the long and hard competition! The new wine-consumption system has been a success and have really spiced up the wine markets, and I think the double suits worth has been also a good change. I appreciate everybody's effort and I hope to see an exciting finale in the competition.

That being said, I must warn you that the destiny of the NPCC competition is open after/during the pause. Please note this during the last few days before the pause, which is planned to take place in the year change.
It is very possible that the whole competition will end after the pause, since the planned CLANS-module will at least partially overlap or even completely replace the current NPCC system. PLEASE TAKE THIS INTO ACCOUNT IN YOUR DECISIONS.

Furthermore, I need to highlight (unfortunately I cannot yet confirm), that if the NPCC competition ends at 1647 pause at year change, the suits will again be worth much more; in previous competitions this last suits bonus has been 10-fold, while now we are giving 2-fold points for suits every year. Therefore, we reserve the right to change the last year suits bonus to 10-fold multiplied (or similar) after the pause, if the competition is decided to end (5 times more worth than it is currently, since it has been weighted 2-fold during the competition). I'm afraid I cannot yet give you a guaranteed answer to this as we are yet to be sure in what status the CLANS module is when gameplay is resumed.

The intention for the 10-fold weighting of suits at the end of each competition has been to reward players who have aimed at a sustainable economy for clothing and to reward them for the hypothetical years to come, as they have invested in suits that last a longer term than the ordinary consumables.

For your convenience I have given score sums for the so-far competition in the google sheet ( https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tgIzgMza7NQsTpMO9pHke1ZVXYH7l5Sj5bHdZHItivo/edit#gid=1569380517 ) . You may use these for guidance in your decision making, but please remember that the suits weighting for year 1647 is still open (it's probably either 2x or 10x).

For any further questions please contact me and good luck all in what might be the final rush!

EDIT: As confirmed below by HM, suits will instead be sold and credited for points using the M values at the end of the competition.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
Hear hear.

Let it be known that Saddam's Depository will be open for deposits and withdrawals as long as the changelog is active. If you have intended to make a withdrawal in the near future, please do so before the pause. Otherwise, your M balance will remain safely frozen until the game returns.

If you need to clear up a negative balance, please visit https://deposit.cryptokingdomgold.com for deposit info.

To reiterate, while the game is on pause withdrawals will be frozen.

Reasons:
The current withdrawal process requires that you initiate the transfer of M to New. Without this,
- I cannot verify that you are actually in control of your account.
- I cannot verify your actual M balance.

Thank you for your understanding!
donator
Crypto Kingdom will go on pause for the summer

* Time will be stopped;
* During the period that time is stopped, nothing will happen in the game;
* Development continues during the pause;
* When the game is resumed, it happens in the new Clans platform; all login+password will be the same, all money, land, buildings and items will be the same.

Most of the detailed questions will find the answer just by thinking: "The game goes on pause so that time is not moving. What can happen if no time passes? Nothing." If this leaves questions open, the admins:

SirJacket (Mayor)
Mooo (deputy GM)
saddam (treasurer)
Syksy (all-around good guy)
Roopatra (wiki editor)
and others will help. No help is needed of course since there is nothing that needs reaction - we decided to make this so that there is no need to make any changes or think. Just a summer break, and when it ends, the game is back even cooler.

The theory and practice of successful MMO RPG development knows the ebb and flow of player interest, and it is normal and smart to recharge interest by having a break when the community seems to require it. After a few months, the game is much fresher to play both because it has not been a forced weekly exercise for too long, and because there are nice new features, graphics etc.

Features of Clans (specification as of now):

100   Main   ORGANISATION, ADMIN TRAINING, OUTREACH, DOCUMENTATION
110   CKIP   CKIP
130   DataCheck   lots, items, clans, etc data check and fix
140   AdminTrain   Admin levels and training system
141   Admin-Lots   Admin treatment in lot splitting etc
150   NewGM   New Full-Time GM trainee
160   Wiki   Getting wiki relevant, reasonably complete and uptodate.

200   Commoners   COMMONERS, TUTORIAL, QUESTS, PRODUCTION->CONSUMPTION
210   ClansConsume   Annual Consumption Challenge; NPC hosted by player accounts
240   Professions   commoner professions; New commoner economic principle (no salary)
250   Quests   Quests (incl Tutorial)
260   CommonerPromo   Automatic commoner promotion (based on new EXP)
270   Production   prod shares rehaul
280   MainUI-update   Rethinking of the main UI, positioning of elements

300   Lots   URBAN LAND, LOTS, BUILDINGS
310   LotLayoutEditor   User/Admin editor to produce a birds eye view of the lot
320   TownMapChapView   Parser collects them and shows a chapelry birds eye as default chapelry view
330   LotNewFeatures   Lot datatype edit, merge chapelry params to lots and "abolish" chapelry except as geographical designation; Lot-specific quarry, farm and grow weed, building, and designation as park
340   LotsInCommands   Lots completely work in commands
350   WoodBuilding   Wood Building Module
360   BuildActions   Build actions (New, Repair, Quick repair, Lux upg, Facade upg, Increase of floors, Change Windows, Demolish) work as intended

400   Items   ITEMS, MARKETPLACE, COMMANDS, AND RELATED
410   ItemsGrouping   Grouping items partly player-controlled
420   AreYouSure   New newb friendly command box
430   CommandBox-SE   only one command box in bottom-right
440   ItemDatatype   Item datatype quick fix

500   Misc   MISCELLANEOUS NEW FEATURES AND FIXES
510   TownMapSmall   Town Map (just the image)
520   GameStats   General Game Stats infopage
530   MarketStats   Consumables Market infopage

600      BACKEND RELATED
610   ChangelogComprs   changelog compression
620   Mongo   Mongo DB

Some might have noticed that I took a whole month off from this forum as an announcement tool. That was not a good idea - it contributed to the fast downfall of communication in the game in the past weeks. So when we put the game back online, this forum will be a main way to announce it. Reading the ingame billboard will also give enough info.

Important information:
* It is not allowed to leave game balances negative during the break. This is a serious offence because 1) it is not allowed and everyone knows it 2) we do not run fractional reserve. Please fix the situation immediately. You are held responsible for your clan members' negative balances and it is possible that the whole clan is foreclosed and all assets sold as we move to the pause.

More info will follow by the admins posting here. Thank you for this growth spurt of 1600-1647, looking forward to the next one! Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: