Pages:
Author

Topic: Date for 25 BTC per Block - page 4. (Read 34970 times)

legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1015
Strength in numbers
November 14, 2012, 04:27:35 PM
2052, OMG it is actually going to happen.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
November 07, 2012, 08:57:21 PM
As difficulty goes up (more than 6 blocks found per hour), the estimated time for halving approaches more rapidly. Using bitcoinclock.com , it's fairly easy to see that the halving will occur between 1800 hours 11/27/2012 and 0600 11/28/2012 with current 'block finding trends'. ASICs entering the market would have a serious effect on this, however.

at this point its up to the ASIC developers. they could be the sole decider of this bet.

they at most will only be testing their hardware before the halve now and they could throw in a lot of machines to test if they have them ready before the ~ nov 26 calculation and then take the hardware off after difficulty increases and thus less blocks be made everywhere but first scare off people to sell their hardware and no longer mine
Activity: 454
Merit: 250
Technology and Women. Amazing.
November 07, 2012, 02:02:16 PM
As difficulty goes up (more than 6 blocks found per hour), the estimated time for halving approaches more rapidly. Using bitcoinclock.com , it's fairly easy to see that the halving will occur between 1800 hours 11/27/2012 and 0600 11/28/2012 with current 'block finding trends'. ASICs entering the market would have a serious effect on this, however.
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
November 06, 2012, 06:17:24 PM
It's as if the market knew the halving was coming?  Shocked

No, it's not like that at all. The market didn't see the halving coming and thus create ASICs to ensure it was frictionless. Second Halvings Day will be a lot more interesting because we will see if people are forced to drop out, or if the reduction in inflation will keep all miners profitable. In this case, we won't see much because some miners who can afford it are switching to a technology that is 40x better.

The market definitely knew the halving was coming, that much is known ... what it did about it is less known.

I'd say it is safe to say that design/build/test pipeline for ASIC's, which has been well over a year in the making, had an eye on the halving date as a loose milestone target date ... how could they not have? The "market" is a reflection of the decisions and thoughts of many individuals ...
Activity: 266
November 04, 2012, 08:27:04 PM
"remember, remember, the 5th of November."

Okay
Activity: 266
October 31, 2012, 10:51:33 AM
In this case, we won't see much because some miners who can afford it are switching to a technology that is 40x better.

Which may also happen on Second Halvings Day and Third Halvings Day, etc. My feeling is that subsequent Halvings Days will become a lot more boring. This first one will be the most turbulent.
Activity: 588
firstbits.com/1kznfw
October 31, 2012, 10:01:23 AM

No, it's not like that at all. The market didn't see the halving coming and thus create ASICs to ensure it was frictionless. Second Halvings Day will be a lot more interesting because we will see if people are forced to drop out, or if the reduction in inflation will keep all miners profitable. In this case, we won't see much because some miners who can afford it are switching to a technology that is 40x better.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
October 30, 2012, 02:23:40 AM
There still are some wildcards though ... GPU miners could start liquidating in larger numbers soon,

A few are.  There isn't a rush to the exits though, from what I can tell.

This loss of hashing capacity could push the date later, maybe to December again.

Thirty days left, target currently shows early in the day on the 29th.  For it to drop to December there would have to be a pretty big drop. 

Or a first run for some ASICs could pull us ahead by several days, like to the 25th or earlier.

It looks like halving will occur before any BFLs arrive in anyone's hands.   Maybe the early shipment to the testers, but even if they ship that last week of November, that's nothing that would cut short the adjustment period much more than a day or two.

So, in western hemisphere timezones, this could come as quickly as Tuesday the 27th or in Asian timezones it could still end up occurring late Thursday the 29th (barring any unexpected swings in the hash rate).

This is a week after Thanksgiving, so that won't interfere.

Who'll be the first to book a table for the first ever halving celebration?
Activity: 811
Merit: 1000
Web Developer
October 20, 2012, 03:27:45 PM
I think that the ASIC thing is kind of unfortunately timed. I would have liked to have seen what would happen if there was no transition in technology at the time. What if the halving occurred and mining was only at a 10% profit margin, suddenly putting everyone in the red by 40%? How would the market react? How would the miners react? But the conditions here are actually a little uninteresting. The price/bitcoin is so high that even a halving will keep GPUs slightly profitable, while ASICs start to roll out and will get acquired to fit into the limits of the 25 btc reward. This "First Halvings Day" will be relatively without any drama. I don't think it will give an accurate picture of what will happen when we go from 25->12.5.
legendary
October 20, 2012, 02:24:25 AM
11/30/2012

Yup, that target date ... still Nov 30th (Friday), but early in the day (UTC), so even a small increase will cause it to land early, like on the 29th (Thursday)

- http://bitcoinclock.com/

So if there are any halving day events ... for party planning it is looking like it perhaps might occur Wednesday in the U.S., Thursday in Europe / Asia.

There still are some wildcards though ... GPU miners could start liquidating in larger numbers soon, trying to get a jump on others who will mine until the is no question that GPU mining's days are oover.  This loss of hashing capacity could push the date later, maybe to December again.   Or a first run for some ASICs could pull us ahead by several days, like to the 25th or earlier.
legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518
Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206
September 25, 2012, 09:33:58 AM
11/30/2012
legendary
September 25, 2012, 03:22:30 AM
This "First Halvings Day" will be relatively without any drama.

You seem to be disappointed by this.
Activity: 588
firstbits.com/1kznfw
September 25, 2012, 03:00:35 AM
I think that the ASIC thing is kind of unfortunately timed. I would have liked to have seen what would happen if there was no transition in technology at the time. What if the halving occurred and mining was only at a 10% profit margin, suddenly putting everyone in the red by 40%? How would the market react? How would the miners react? But the conditions here are actually a little uninteresting. The price/bitcoin is so high that even a halving will keep GPUs slightly profitable, while ASICs start to roll out and will get acquired to fit into the limits of the 25 btc reward. This "First Halvings Day" will be relatively without any drama. I don't think it will give an accurate picture of what will happen when we go from 25->12.5.
legendary
September 25, 2012, 02:37:46 AM
Seals is gunna have a huge party, I don't care when it happens :-)

The even needs a name.  "Block reward adjustment day" doesn't necessarily roll off the tongue.

Some might refer to it as their GPU retirement day ..  Grin

How about "Market Day" since we'll all be DDOSing mtgox to try and figure out what the market is doing that day.

I'm seeing the event referred to as "Halving Day".

What sucks is that the specific day isn't known ... and likely won't even be known with any degree of certainty of +/- 24 hours accuracy until maybe within a week of it happening.

legendary
September 21, 2012, 12:53:36 PM
The "two week" adjustment cycles are arriving in 12.5 days, 12.7 days at this pace of growth:

Well, this last one was just over 13 days, but still enough to pull the date for block 210,000 to a November date ... November 30th!

Fortunately for GPU miners, the exchange rate has been rising too, so profitability is still pretty good:

- https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmcTCtjBoRWUdHVRMHpqWUJValI1RlZiaEtCT1RrQmc

- http://blockchain.info/charts/miners-operating-profit-margin
Activity: 386
September 17, 2012, 11:37:22 AM
I am not interesting in betting on this (Bitcoin is a big enough gamble for me right now) but I would like to continue exploring this discussion more. 

Let’s assume that BFL does begin shipments by the week of November 12 or sooner.  I toss this date out as a reasonable guess because of allot of real world factors that will force them to do something on or before this date.  Now they plan to offer a systematic approach to delivery that will take them out to the end of December to get all pre-orders out.  That is significant amount of equipment hitting the street in a short amount of time.  This act alone will cause difficulty to go up one would think.  Also keep in mind that many BFL equipment users now will need to ship their equipment back so we could see all kinds of volume changes for about a month or so. 

Now this post has listed December 2nd as the proposed day we go from 50 to 25 so that should or could cause difficulty to go down due to smaller operations dropping off. 

These two acts alone should not cancel each other out because the proposed BFL ASIC product is so significant that difficulty will jump even as large numbers of folks go to other currencies to use their equipment.

Other ASIC solutions will come online cause the difficulty to rise but not too much since the masses have purchased BFL and will not be cash positive to explore investing in other equipment.   Late comers will consider the alternatives for many reasons so their products will come online after the New Year starts.

Now the real odd question to all of this is the price per BTC.  If this jumps up higher who knows but if it drops due to fewer folks mining/using the coins this could cause a whole host of additional outcomes. 

All I can say is that starting in October to February it is going to be some wild times in this Bitcoin world. 
I would love more input to this because this is my opinion and I am trying to get as many factors ironed out as possible but one man’s point of view is what it is. 

Activity: 9
Merit: 0
September 17, 2012, 09:05:45 AM
The switch to 25BTC/block is gonna bring a lot of change to the network, especially considering ASIC miners will start trickling in at the same time. I started a bet http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=673 for whether the difficulty will go up or down after the switch. It's a really difficult question because the ASIC miners will bring it up, while FPGA/GPU miners will be leaving en masse. what do you reckon? Take a bet.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019
September 14, 2012, 02:40:01 AM
[...]
Miner majority has no power in that case.  

If MtGox accepts tx from 25 BTC blocks and merchants accept tx from 25 BTC blocks and FastCash4Bitcoins only pays out on tx from 25 BTC blocks, and most wallet providers only show users 25 BTC blocks and full nodes reject everything but 25 BTC blocks, then the 100 BTC blocks won't have any value.

Now what would suddenly be very profitable would be the miners who broke from the "alliance" and continued to mine 25 BTC blocks.   There is significant economic value for them and with most of the miners gone the value per MH suddenly quadrupled.  

Wow, I really didn't think this through. Thanks for pointing this out, deathandtaxes.

same here. Satoshi is so good. +1
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
September 10, 2012, 05:37:52 PM
I don't know where to post this, so here it is :

are there any concerns about something like Y2K syndrome ?

are miners supposed to change something in their code ?

will the number of btc per block be the only thing that will change ?

one risk is the majority of pools not adhering to the rules

"make block reward 100 BTC instead of 25 BTC" might something the "syndicate" could decide... bitcoin would drop to 0.0001 USD in no time, though. This is why I highly doubt a majority of pools ops would do such a stupid thing.

More importantly, the rest of the network would reject those invalid blocks.

If the majority of pool-ops implement the rule, they have >51% and it is irrelevant what the rest of the network thinks of it.

EDITed because of what DeathAndTaxes said above.

Miner majority has no power in that case.  

If MtGox accepts tx from 25 BTC blocks and merchants accept tx from 25 BTC blocks and FastCash4Bitcoins only pays out on tx from 25 BTC blocks, and most wallet providers only show users 25 BTC blocks and full nodes reject everything but 25 BTC blocks, then the 100 BTC blocks won't have any value.

Now what would suddenly be very profitable would be the miners who broke from the "alliance" and continued to mine 25 BTC blocks.   There is significant economic value for them and with most of the miners gone the value per MH suddenly quadrupled.  

Wow, I really didn't think this through. Thanks for pointing this out, deathandtaxes.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
September 10, 2012, 12:29:55 AM
December 3rd now.    If it continues increasing, even to a lesser degree than we've been seeing recently, Block 210,000 will end up occurring in November.

- http://bitcoinclock.com

December 2nd!

December 1st!
Pages:
Jump to: