Pages:
Author

Topic: DEA Agents in Silk Road Case Face Fraud Charges - page 13. (Read 14412 times)

legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217
Exsmactly. Ross gotta go to jail for running a drug empire, tough beans. But these two crooked agents gotta go to jail for a separate context. One trial is about drugs, the other is about money fraud. But both are crimes.

Oh... I see, If Ross deserves Life without parole for running a website, then in your opinion what would be the quantum of punishment given to people like OJ Simpson and Oscar Pistorious, who have murdered people?
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115
any chance this would give ulbricht a window to climb out?
Yes.  Prosecutorial misconduct.  It can have VERY far reaching implications.  Now, the prosecution is easily shown to have reason to lie.  About this - and other things.  This is VERY good for Ross.  I am pretty sure his attorney will be asking for a retrial by the end of the week.

This isn't prosecutorial misconduct. Firstly, it's not misconduct by the prosecutors. Secondly, I'm not sure that the prosecutors were under a duty to disclose this. The agents did not testify, so this doesn't go to their credibility (Giglio). It's not exculpatory, in that it doesn't tend to negate the guilt of one of the elements of the charges against Ulbricht. That means it's not Brady. And of course it's not under the Jencks Act because the agents didn't testify.

So what impact do you think this will have on his fate (if any)?
I don't think any. Brady allegations--allegations that the government had exculpatory evidence that it failed to turn over--are very hard to win.

Can it be brought up in regards to his sentence? 10 years is better than nothing...

I don't see how it's legally relevant.

Exsmactly. Ross gotta go to jail for running a drug empire, tough beans. But these two crooked agents gotta go to jail for a separate context. One trial is about drugs, the other is about money fraud. But both are crimes.

Life behind bars for running a website. What will these crooked officers get for raping the public trust?
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
Yes.  Prosecutorial misconduct.  It can have VERY far reaching implications.  Now, the prosecution is easily shown to have reason to lie.  About this - and other things.  This is VERY good for Ross.  I am pretty sure his attorney will be asking for a retrial by the end of the week.

This isn't prosecutorial misconduct. Firstly, it's not misconduct by the prosecutors. Secondly, I'm not sure that the prosecutors were under a duty to disclose this. The agents did not testify, so this doesn't go to their credibility (Giglio). It's not exculpatory, in that it doesn't tend to negate the guilt of one of the elements of the charges against Ulbricht. That means it's not Brady. And of course it's not under the Jencks Act because the agents didn't testify.

I don't think any. Brady allegations--allegations that the government had exculpatory evidence that it failed to turn over--are very hard to win.

Can it be brought up in regards to his sentence? 10 years is better than nothing...

Activity: 378
Merit: 250
Pre-sale - March 18
corruption with the feds means shit could had been faked, lied, false evidence since there was corruption involved in the case
Activity: 207

legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023
It figures if they thought they could get away with it, they would attempt something like this.

Large sums of money like this are very tempting to people.
Yes.  Prosecutorial misconduct.  It can have VERY far reaching implications.  Now, the prosecution is easily shown to have reason to lie.  About this - and other things.  This is VERY good for Ross.  I am pretty sure his attorney will be asking for a retrial by the end of the week.

legendary
legendary
Activity: 3976
Merit: 1421
Life, Love and Laughter...
Two former federal agents are expected to be arrested on Monday on charges of stealing money while working undercover on an investigation into Silk Road, the once-thriving black market website for drug dealing, a document shows.

Read more: http://www.coinspectator.com/dea-agents-in-silk-road-case-face-fraud-charges/

Pre-sale - March 18
yeah he can go after them, after he is free
legendary
Yes.  Prosecutorial misconduct.  It can have VERY far reaching implications.  Now, the prosecution is easily shown to have reason to lie.  About this - and other things.  This is VERY good for Ross.  I am pretty sure his attorney will be asking for a retrial by the end of the week.
the government should also payback all users funds as well/

I'm no lawyer, but if Ross were to be released/acquitted/not-guilty etc I would imagine that he would have the right to get his property back. It would obviously be paid back in cash, but then maybe he would back his BTC and store it safe this time.

He is looking at a possible life-sentence. I think he'd settle for freedom
legendary
Merit: 1000
World Class Cryptonaire
the government should also payback all users funds as well/

I'm no lawyer, but if Ross were to be released/acquitted/not-guilty etc I would imagine that he would have the right to get his property back. It would obviously be paid back in cash, but then maybe he would back his BTC and store it safe this time.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040
A Great Time to Start Something!
Why isnt the bitcoin community going to Washington and demanding Ross freedom, we can see how courrupt the gov is, now they should do the crime and take responsibility in there own infrastructure.  If we all march now, we can save him.

Great idea, let's show some passion!
I need funding for my trip, who wants to donate.  Grin
Pre-sale - March 18

Awesome, that is one of the best things I've read recently.  Smiley
What an embarrassment for the corrupt Gov't.

you know what this means for bitcoins, a price rise to 500!!
buy buy buy
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040
A Great Time to Start Something!

Awesome, that is one of the best things I've read recently.  Smiley
What an embarrassment for the corrupt Gov't.
Activity: 176
Ain't no party like a Counterparty!
Crazy turn of events, you really couldn't make this shit up.

Force created certain fictional personas -- that were not officially sanctioned -- to communicate with DPR ...
...Using one of these personas, Force sought to extort DPR by seeking monetary payment...  

Makes you wonder if DPR was coerced into "hiring a hitman."

Read more of the charges. Tbh, I think it is a forgone conclusion at this point. They blackmailed him from multiple angles and on their own.

That charge is not only no more, but it looks like corruption from the prosecution may very
Well have thrown away their case. Quite fitting actually. That said, with the judges very questionable
Actions regarding evidence submission, don't think the corruption won't continue.

Remember we said BTC is an anti corruption trojan horse?  Grin

Yeah people keep thinking bitcoin is super anonymous but it only is if you keep quiet about what you are doing. These agents were communicating with big name exchanges through emails and freezing customers accounts and stealing their bitcoin so the fraud here is easily traced on the blockchain once you can attribute any bitcoin wallet address to one of the agents.
Pre-sale - March 18
oh shit buy bitcoin prices are going to fucking rise to the stars
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
Antifragile
Crazy turn of events, you really couldn't make this shit up.

Force created certain fictional personas -- that were not officially sanctioned -- to communicate with DPR ...
...Using one of these personas, Force sought to extort DPR by seeking monetary payment...  

Makes you wonder if DPR was coerced into "hiring a hitman."

Read more of the charges. Tbh, I think it is a forgone conclusion at this point. They blackmailed him from multiple angles and on their own.

That charge is not only no more, but it looks like corruption from the prosecution may very
Well have thrown away their case. Quite fitting actually. That said, with the judges very questionable
Actions regarding evidence submission, don't think the corruption won't continue.

Remember we said BTC is an anti corruption trojan horse?  Grin
legendary
Contributions go here:

http://freeross.org/
Pages:
Jump to: