Author

Topic: ★★DigiByte|极特币★★[DGB]✔ Core v6.16.5.1 - DigiShield, DigiSpeed, Segwit - page 962. (Read 3058816 times)

Activity: 136
Merit: 100
I'm Embarrassed to be here
What is the advantage of Digibyte Core over Digibit?
Digibyte Core requires you to download the entire blockchain; whereas, Digibit does not.
Are there other significant differences between the two?

Thats essentially the bulk of it.

Digibyte core will always start blockchain sync from block 0 (unless you have the bootstrap.dat file I posted earlier). Digibit can be updated with checkpoint files so that it can start syncing at bassically any point in the chain. Digibit will also only download the "Blockchain Headers" which means it will use less data and be a much faster sync overall.

Digibyte Core supports some more advanced features that Digibit doesnt. Examples of this would be Multisig Address Support (ie DGBWallet.com).

All in all Digibit is more aimed towards the newer user who doesnt want to download the entire blockchain but still wants to accept/send digibyte.

If you have the choice and don't need to immediately receive or send Digibyte then I would suggest downloading the core client.

Cheers.

Multisig Address Support...is it the one that can create multiple Receiving Address?
if it is, darn. that's one important feature i will need. would be awesome if Digibit has it.

Digibit HD will have multisig support but I have no release date as of yet!

well I am buying back!  This time we are long term! Continue on making the best altcoin there is... Soon Remax will accept us also Smiley

lol yea sure, as soon as you 5-20% up, you will sell just like everyone else does.
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Also I was wondering.. does tipbot work on facebook?
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1000
https://bata.io
A new Digibyte Community Down Under - http://cryptooz.com/group/dgb-digibyte-community-group

Join up to keep in touch share ideas and spread the word.

Members
Photos
Videos
Events
Forum

See you there!

The site is a working progress of more things will be added as we go, but if you have any suggestions or thoughts I would love to hear from you.

Thanks

As one of the Digibyte dev's and an Australian how could I not sign up Smiley If I can help in anyway let me know.

Great to hear thanks - Keep spreading the Digibyte word!
Digibyte Core requires you to download the entire blockchain; whereas, Digibit does not.

Digibyte core will always start blockchain sync from block 0 (unless you have the bootstrap.dat file I posted earlier). Digibit can be updated with checkpoint files so that it can start syncing at bassically any point in the chain. Digibit will also only download the "Blockchain Headers" which means it will use less data and be a much faster sync overall.

Digibyte Core supports some more advanced features that Digibit doesnt. Examples of this would be Multisig Address Support (ie DGBWallet.com).

All in all Digibit is more aimed towards the newer user who doesnt want to download the entire blockchain but still wants to accept/send digibyte.

If you have the choice and don't need to immediately receive or send Digibyte then I would suggest downloading the core client.

Cheers.

Multisig Address Support...is it the one that can create multiple Receiving Address?
if it is, darn. that's one important feature i will need. would be awesome if Digibit has it.

well I am buying back!  This time we are long term! Continue on making the best altcoin there is... Soon Remax will accept us also Smiley
Activity: 750

Cheers.

Activity: 622
Merit: 504
Your only Amigo, in the World of Crypto
How can there be such a big team on this coin but the only exchange you can get it onto is that shitty coinmarket thing...?

William_Man, all the exchanges that has DGB can be found here: http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/digibyte/#markets

For your convenience:
Cryptsy - https://www.cryptsy.com/
Bittrex - https://bittrex.com/   
Poloniex - https://poloniex.com/   
Comkort - https://comkort.com/
Cryptoine - https://cryptoine.com/

Cheers.

Activity: 9
Merit: 0
How can there be such a big team on this coin but the only exchange you can get it onto is that shitty coinmarket thing...?

Cheers.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
HR
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1011
Transparency & Integrity
just to ask regarding the use of a desktop wallet - i backup my wallet.dat whenever necessary, like after i am done with transactions for the day, etc. i am not sure if backing up the wallet.dat is enough. so do we still need to know the private key of the desktop wallet?

The wallet.dat file is enough, you don't need the private key.

You can do a fresh install of the wallet on another computer, then close the program and replace the 'new' wallet.dat with your backup copy.

That is correct.

The private key is what you would use to create a paper wallet, and is a much more cumbersome, complicated and dangerous process that is only recommeded for expert users (since if done incorrectly you have a very good chance of losing your coins), and using 3rd party software to supposedly make that easier is even more dangerous.

Just to clarify some points here. A private key is used as an almost universal backup system. It can be used to import any funds tied to that address into every Digibyte wallet available be it Digibyte Core, Digibit, DigiElectrum, Digiandroid, Digibyte iOS or paper wallet. The danger comes from you loosing the private key or having it stolen as an attacker that has access to your private key has access to all your funds. In many ways a private key can be more secure than simply backing up your wallet.dat file. I've known people that have had their private key imprinted on bits of wood which they then store in a safe. Remember that all data can be stolen remotely (that is via the internet) not to mention that hard drives regularly fail, whereas someone would actually need physical access to whatever storage medium you have chosen to store your private key on in order to gain access to those funds.

Although yes for your average user backing up your wallet.dat file is more than enough to ensure you will always be able to access those funds in the future. I would recommend backing it up in a couple of places!

Cheers.

Nice additional information - especially the cross platform stuff.

I still can't stress enough how dangerous it can be though, and that private key (paper wallet) manipulation is for expert users. Think of what happens, for example, when the uninitiated, thinking the import process is taking too long, or that it isn't working at all, tries to abort! Goodbye private key coins. (And nobody think that the third party "cloud" software offering to do the job for you for free is free from their simply pirating your private key either.)

The average user needs to learn to do the process in a secure way on his or her own, and then if they want to send money to another wallet they have, they should do it the normal way. The everyday user should be instructed on the safest and easiest way to do things (and even then, things will go wrong), similar to what I was doing in the second half of the post you quoted but left out ( https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.10635714 ).

And "backing it up in a couple of places", at very least!!!! As you mention, storage media can and will fail!!! And, if you're backing up private keys too, that includes your private key storage media as well!!!! And this even means different physical locations!!! Imagine your home catches fire . . .  Sad

Serious stuff that certainly needs standardization. Things are complicated enough as it is with cryptographic digital currencies, let alone we unduely complicate them more.

Best Practice ideas and instructions are not easy to come by. Thanks for contributing to that end.

I'll put this together into a nice simple and easy HOWTO on Asistec TI as soon as I possibly can - as you know, I'm very busy at the moment.
A new Digibyte Community Down Under - http://cryptooz.com/group/dgb-digibyte-community-group

Members
Photos
Videos
Events
Forum

See you there!

The site is a working progress of more things will be added as we go, but if you have any suggestions or thoughts I would love to hear from you.

Thanks

As one of the Digibyte dev's and an Australian how could I not sign up Smiley If I can help in anyway let me know.
legendary
Activity: 1624
https://bata.io

Members
Photos
Videos
Events
Forum

See you there!

Thanks
legendary
Activity: 840
Must have missed that. Yeah, good point.
legendary
Activity: 1106
The future is bright with DigiByte.
I wonder what they're working on. It's silent. Too silent. I hear a sound, the sound of hard working people.
Wonder what they have in store for us!

If I were Jared, I would not do any announcement before the coming BTC auctions on the 5th of March.
So plausible logic forces me not to expect any announcement before that... (but who knows)

Bitcoin price is increasing and clearly being manipulated by Fed.
Bitcoin price will continue increasing up to $340 (my guess) by the 5-6th and maybe 7th of March, and will be followed by a huge dump Smiley
Expect a huge suffering in altcoins, especially those very quiet ones.

Therefore, while the bitcoin price is pumping, people are more interested in buying bitcoin or holding their bitcoin position than any other altcoins atm.
Even if DGB price moves now due to an announcement, it will be dumped back very quickly and it will be just wasted.... That also whispers me that no announcement will be made.

Marked ! Cool
legendary
Activity: 840
I wonder what they're working on. It's silent. Too silent. I hear a sound, the sound of hard working people.
Wonder what they have in store for us!
just to ask regarding the use of a desktop wallet - i backup my wallet.dat whenever necessary, like after i am done with transactions for the day, etc. i am not sure if backing up the wallet.dat is enough. so do we still need to know the private key of the desktop wallet?

You can do a fresh install of the wallet on another computer, then close the program and replace the 'new' wallet.dat with your backup copy.

That is correct.

The private key is what you would use to create a paper wallet, and is a much more cumbersome, complicated and dangerous process that is only recommeded for expert users (since if done incorrectly you have a very good chance of losing your coins), and using 3rd party software to supposedly make that easier is even more dangerous.

Just to clarify some points here. A private key is used as an almost universal backup system. It can be used to import any funds tied to that address into every Digibyte wallet available be it Digibyte Core, Digibit, DigiElectrum, Digiandroid, Digibyte iOS or paper wallet. The danger comes from you loosing the private key or having it stolen as an attacker that has access to your private key has access to all your funds. In many ways a private key can be more secure than simply backing up your wallet.dat file. I've known people that have had their private key imprinted on bits of wood which they then store in a safe. Remember that all data can be stolen remotely (that is via the internet) not to mention that hard drives regularly fail, whereas someone would actually need physical access to whatever storage medium you have chosen to store your private key on in order to gain access to those funds.

Although yes for your average user backing up your wallet.dat file is more than enough to ensure you will always be able to access those funds in the future. I would recommend backing it up in a couple of places!

Cheers.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003
Just so many coins made a day... 7million is LOTS roughly $1000 a day at current price ... We are basically relying on news for us too keep price up and dry spells we just get shit on from miners lol

No body is being shafted by miners, some miners are selling for less than many, including myself, think dgb is worth. That's good news for anyone buying, that means they are getting a bargain. If SHA miners are selling, they are selling for less than the coins are costing to mint. People are buying and there are really not that many dgb available at these silly prices. This is the good news, dgb is cheap and is providing the means to make an absolute killing!
Just so many coins made a day... 7million is LOTS roughly $1000 a day at current price ... We are basically relying on news for us too keep price up and dry spells we just get shit on from miners lol

That is correct.

Making your own wallet.dat backup is as easy and just as safe as (if not easier and safer than) any kind of backup possible - as long as you are sure to have multiple copies of your backups and that they are all off-line. You can also use several wallet.dat files. When backed up, they might look something like wallet001.dat, wallet002.dat, etc., and when you want to use one, take it to the DigiByte folder, rename it wallet.dat, and it'll be up and running once you've launched DigiByte Core. When finished, rename it with its backup name once again, and copy it to at least 3 off-line backup locations. Once that's done, the copy in the DigiByte folder should be deleted - I never leave an active wallet in the program folder (and NEVER use the "move" command: always copy first, and then delete once you've got confirmed good backups).

okay!! much appreciation on the clarity and advice on this matter.  Grin
Jump to: