Pages:
Author

Topic: Discussion about 10,000BTC Bet (Official) - page 28. (Read 104454 times)

legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
September 08, 2012, 05:13:41 PM
just about 10.5 hours left until the bet is over.

Time is a ticking ....
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
September 08, 2012, 05:09:56 PM
Its the 9th in South Korea.  Matt needs to pay up.

he had set a time in PM there, like 4:30 or some such.(need to verify)

But, one can see here the time currently in MNW's part of the world;
http://free.timeanddate.com/clock/i39ysivc/n235/fn9/fs20/ftb/bo2/tt0/tw1/ts1/ta1/tb4
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
September 08, 2012, 05:09:47 PM
Not 4pm there yet. Matt is still asleep, anyway.
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
September 08, 2012, 05:02:54 PM
Its the 9th in South Korea.  Matt needs to pay up.
Activity: 477
September 08, 2012, 03:25:52 PM
I believe there is a lot of things going on just now.. However this will end, this story would be worth of a book. Actually, if I'm ever going to make this site: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ebook-publisher-105416, and if someone writes a book of this, I will grant a free publishing for it!

Personally, I'm waiting a surprising end to this ;-) (not having any own BC's in the bet or BTCST)

I can easily imagine what problems you could encounter, if you trade a big amounts in *two* or more currencies.. and what happens if people start to withdrawal on only one of them.. the accounts should be kept on the same currencies where the real assets are.

Actually, if pirate is legitimte (I believe he is, but could be wrong), seeing the BC rates lately, he might well have earned back what he needs to pay back. Specially, if he got some extra from some stupid bet..
Activity: 336
September 08, 2012, 03:14:58 PM
I hope Matthew didn't forget that, regardless of whether he was serious about paying, or whether this was just some stunt to teach people a lesson, his actions goaded a bunch of other "innocent" bystander pirate supporters to make side bets similar to Matthew's. So even if he doesn't pay out, those other people who had little to do with him will also be getting screwed in the process.

Also, I'm disappointed that, for taking Matthew's bet (albeit only for 20BTC, since I'd feel guilty taking any more from him), I am apparently also lumped in with the troll group that should be "destroyed."
There are also people who had BS&T deposits who used Matthew's bet to "hedge".
Regardless, as soon as he doesn't pay he can take his scammer tag/ban  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
September 08, 2012, 03:01:30 PM
I hope Matthew didn't forget that, regardless of whether he was serious about paying, or whether this was just some stunt to teach people a lesson, his actions goaded a bunch of other "innocent" bystander pirate supporters to make side bets similar to Matthew's. So even if he doesn't pay out, those other people who had little to do with him will also be getting screwed in the process.

Also, I'm disappointed that, for taking Matthew's bet (albeit only for 20BTC, since I'd feel guilty taking any more from him), I am apparently also lumped in with the troll group that should be "destroyed."
Activity: 700
daytrader/superhero
September 08, 2012, 02:48:11 PM
the bet ends 3 weeks after August 19, 2012, 04:49:20 PM, so that means it ends on September 9th, 2012, 04:49:20 PM KST (Korean Standard Time, local to me).

So the rest of you can keep track:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=235

A little over 12 hours left......
Activity: 714
Merit: 502
September 08, 2012, 02:44:32 PM
Matthew:

Since there are so many haters on this board, would you please lock this topic and announce a move of all further discussions regarding this bet to an IRC channel (something like #MTENK) where you could post increasingly-infrequent cryptic updates and then finally just disappear altogether?

Well thanks for the crazy soap opera while it's lasted! Good luck Matthew!
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007
Activity: 364
firstbits 1LoCBS
September 08, 2012, 02:29:17 PM
Matthew:

Since there are so many haters on this board, would you please lock this topic and announce a move of all further discussions regarding this bet to an IRC channel (something like #MTENK) where you could post increasingly-infrequent cryptic updates and then finally just disappear altogether?

Activity: 252
September 08, 2012, 02:11:25 PM
Oh the irony of the keyboard warriors waiting 2 weeks and 6 days to research their bets hot off the heels of barking at others for investing in pirate.  Roll Eyes

More like 3-4 days. Let's not forget these posts

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/be-careful-with-matthews-bet-102515
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/your-opinion-on-mnws-motivation-to-bet-10000-btc-one-post-per-forum-member-102648
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1125563

Well I guess you are right in a way. The people that spoke up knew betting with you would be a waste of time and didn't bother. The "irony" would be most of the people that were betting with you were people that had invested in pirate. So they aren't even the people you wanted to "teach a lesson"
vip
Activity: 571
Merit: 504
I still <3 u Satoshi
September 08, 2012, 01:14:57 PM
the bet ends 3 weeks after August 19, 2012, 04:49:20 PM, so that means it ends on September 9th, 2012, 04:49:20 PM KST (Korean Standard Time, local to me).

So the rest of you can keep track:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=235
Activity: 451
September 08, 2012, 12:53:59 PM
I wasn't able to make this bet so I'm not learning the valuable lesson it provides.  Matt, couldn't you just tell us the valuable lesson without having to risk any more bit coins.  Because frankly I invest a small sum in PPTs and the lesson I got from that is to stop gambling.  Is your that your lesson?  Or is your lesson that you have more bitcoins to throw away than is humanly possible.  I wish I could know.
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1001
rippleFanatic
September 08, 2012, 12:27:16 PM
Even the slightest hint of a collusion with pirate, and no one will pay, its an unfair bet.

I think Matt may have had every intention of paying at first, but it grew out of hand, and now hes just going to see how high the community will push it...hell end up taking his scammer tags and say it was a lesson to teach us all about being greedy and how easy it is to be scammed. The irony being that no one got scammed, b/c very few expect him to pay.

I could be way off base, but that's what I think is happening here.

I think this too.

This is about as low as one can go, even pirate had better ethics. MNW openly stated he expected pirate to pay, and if pirate had paid, of course he would expect that bettors pay up to "teach them a lesson" about "calling scam without evidence", as he was clearly expecting. A hypocrite of the highest order.

As far as I'm concerned, MNW used his stature (as bitcoin magazine director and forum staff) in a pathetic attempt to scam a payday of his own on pirate's coat-tails.
Activity: 574
September 08, 2012, 12:15:59 PM
Planning to teach the community a good lesson about integrity and honoring your obligations by covering the pirate losses invested with you?
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1128
September 08, 2012, 12:15:34 PM
Hummmm, is this kind of format trickery in place in the original wording of the bet, wherever that is now?

No formatting besides code and bold, and nothing hidden in them. You can quote this post and look through it yourself.

Don't think pirate will payout as promised?
If you truly believe that Pirate is a scam/ponzi, then this is a no-brainer easy money for you.

Post in this thread how much you're committing and I will double that amount you commit (maximum of 10,000BTC in bets allowed in this thread total) if Pirate does not pay out in 3 weeks as he described in his thread.

To make your bets easier to read, please stick to the following format:
Code:
20BTC
13dSK4663Ts7j2PwHS1eUVjycKLBwx7PJM
Optional comment

The above post would be betting 20BTC that he in fact is not going to payout as described. If I lose the bet, you get 20BTC sent to that address. If you lose, you'll need to send 20BTC to my address.

Anyone (including myself) who renigs on their bets will be labeled a scammer on the forums. Theymos will retain the IP addresses of everyone who has committed here and as you are marked a scammer for not paying, you will also be reported to the bitcoin police and tracked. For this reason, it is important that you do not bet more than you can afford to lose. Considering the high probability of fraud from newbie sockpuppets, only established 100+ post users will be allowed to participate.

The minimum commitment is 0.1BTC. The maximum is 100BTC per person.

Disclaimer: Although I think pirate is a high risk venture due to a complete lack of transparency on his part, I am sorely reminded that the forum needs to be taught a lesson when it comes to crying wolf on things without evidence. It's getting sickening. "SCAM! SCAM! SCAM!". So put your money where your mouth and bet for a better bitcoin forum/community overall.

For the record, the address to remit your funds to if you indeed lose is 13dSK4663Ts7j2PwHS1eUVjycKLBwx7PJM

Thank you and good luck!

I reserve the right to lock this thread and stop accepting additional bets at any time. All existing bets in the thread will still be honored regardless.
Pirate's post he's referring to.

After much consideration, I’ve decided to close down Bitcoin Savings & Trust.  

Why?
The decision was based on the general size and overall time required to manage the transactions.  As the fund grew there were larger and larger coin movements which put strain on my reserve accounts and ultimately caused delays on withdraws and the inability to fund orders within my system.  On the 14th I made a final attempt to relieve pressure off the system by reducing the rates I offered for deposits.  In a perfect world this would allow me to hold more coins in reserve outside the system, but instead it only exponentially increased the amount of withdrawals overnight causing mass panic from many of my lenders.

So now what?
I’ve spoken with my clients over the last week and come to an agreement that would allow me to close down my operation within a week.  Currently my reserve (operating wallets) are drained from fulfilling the withdraw spree that happened after the rate drop announcement.  All withdraws at this point will be delayed until Monday when the shutdown process begins..  

At this point I will no longer accept deposits.  Any coins sent into the system as of now will be returned immediately.

When will I get my coins?
Starting Monday I’ll begin systematically closing and withdrawing accounts as coins are transferred.  I don't expect the entire process to last longer than a week. The moment your account is closed you’ll receive your coins plus any interest accrued up to the hour it was sent.

Thanks
I’d like to thank all of my lenders and PPT operators that were a key element in making Bitcoin Savings & Trust a success.  Bitcoin has grown a lot since I started this and want you to know that you were a vital part in helping it grow.

Now, I have a lot of work to do. Stay Tuned

-pirate

BTW, this is all bitlane’s fault.  (j/k you nut)

Activity: 588
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
September 08, 2012, 12:02:42 PM
Oh the irony of the keyboard warriors waiting 2 weeks and 6 days to research their bets hot off the heels of barking at others for investing in pirate.  Roll Eyes
Activity: 588
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
September 08, 2012, 11:56:53 AM
is there a last chance to raise my amount to 1000.420 BTC ?

Done.
Activity: 900
Merit: 1014
advocate of a cryptographic attack on the globe
September 08, 2012, 11:45:43 AM
So what is the word on the bet? It ends tomorrow, right?
Pages:
Jump to: