Pages:
Author

Topic: Do not post off-topic replies - page 10. (Read 229844 times)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250
The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame
May 29, 2012, 03:16:26 AM
Do you need more people to help move them to a more appropriate place?
I spend an ungodly amount of time on this forum, and am usually not doing much else...  Except procrastinating school work  Tongue

Please report them whenever you see them. This is very helpful.

Report them! Or find yourself a girlfriend. (on or off topic?)
reviving month old thread... WTF was I following this ?
I agree Transisto
Activity: 955
Merit: 1002
May 24, 2012, 12:10:00 PM
In any case, the problem of off-topic replies is really more a reflection on the forum's lack of threading than any fault of the users.

I agree, but since the forum doesn't yet support threading, it's necessary to enforce on-topicness to keep the forum usable.

Substantial off-topic replies are usually split.

Actually reading back through my (deleted) drunken posts it makes sense - but it would be nice if the forum had some way for posters to post jokes and irrelevant bullshit from time to time (within the thread)
administrator
Activity: 5166
Merit: 12850
May 23, 2012, 06:42:33 PM
In any case, the problem of off-topic replies is really more a reflection on the forum's lack of threading than any fault of the users.

I agree, but since the forum doesn't yet support threading, it's necessary to enforce on-topicness to keep the forum usable.

Substantial off-topic replies are usually split.
Activity: 152
Merit: 100
May 23, 2012, 06:24:33 PM
Well no offense Theymos but you really need to get some help with running the forum (not applying for the job here) because it's seriously under-administered. It should have a much bigger crew relative to the number of members. And I'm not just talking about mods, a good developer would be handy.
These are all very good points. Unfortunately, the original subject of the thread was deletion of off-topic comments, not the forum's administrative load. Under a strict interpretation of the forum's rules--the alternative being arbitrary censorship at the moderators' discretion--this perfectly reasonable comment must be deleted.

Personally, I would prefer to see off-topic replies merely hidden by default (with a show/hide toggle) rather than deleted outright, doubly so if the forum does not retain a copy of the deleted comment in the poster's profile. It's much easier to delete a comment than it is to get it back, and a comment which is off-topic can nonetheless be insightful and/or informative in a more appropriate context. In any case, the problem of off-topic replies is really more a reflection on the forum's lack of threading than any fault of the users.
donator
Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008
May 23, 2012, 02:32:30 PM
I spend an ungodly amount of time on this forum, and am usually not doing much else...  Except procrastinating school work  Tongue

reviving month old thread... WTF was I following this ?
Activity: 955
Merit: 1002
May 23, 2012, 01:17:44 PM
I spend an ungodly amount of time on this forum, and am usually not doing much else...  Except procrastinating school work  Tongue

Activity: 700
Merit: 501
April 28, 2012, 09:22:34 PM
And are we allowed to post "bump" with no furthur comment?

Bumping is necessary, so I ignore these. Do not bump more than once a day or many times in a row, though.

I very occasionally feel the need to bump, but I don't just say 'bump' when I do so. I think of something intelligent enough to add that it makes sense that I'm posting again. I find 'bump' a bit annoying. But then, I wouldn't care enough to delete it, so... Wink
administrator
March 12, 2012, 12:54:56 AM
I spend an ungodly amount of time on this forum, and am usually not doing much else...  Except procrastinating school work  Tongue

Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Shame on everything; regret nothing.
March 11, 2012, 11:04:22 PM
Off-topic replies have become a big problem. From now on, I will be deleting such replies without notice, forum-wide. If your replies disappear, this is probably why.

All replies must respond to the topic's original post in some way, even if they are replying to an on-topic reply. If your reply has nothing to do with the topic post, either add some content that is relevant or create a new topic.

Please report off-topic posts as soon as you see them.

administrator
February 12, 2012, 01:27:27 PM
Reading through posts it seems there is an off topic reply in every thread.

Report them.
Activity: 532
February 12, 2012, 03:26:06 AM
Reading through posts it seems there is an off topic reply in every thread.
legendary
Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001
January 10, 2012, 10:43:17 AM
Whats next? Deleting stupid   threads that don't meet certain criteria ?
Some people start 10 threads  a day : " 5$ within the hour?  5.2$ in the next 10 min? 5.5$ today ?"    etc...etc...
so what...

donator
Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008
September 14, 2011, 07:29:09 PM
Some people have many different clone and post short one line comment to bump a thread and boost their post count. Some other member may see post# as a rating/authoritative.

All I ask for this forum is being able to HIDE threads we don't want to see ever again,   Especially those that start with a stupid OP but yet people bump these endlessly to prove how wise they are.
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
moOo
September 13, 2011, 01:28:43 PM
how about banning the frequent offenders, hackers and trolls? I'd rather see off topic replies than the mess we have on here today.
Activity: 530
September 03, 2011, 06:47:24 AM
This is not fair to the people responding to a topic, IMO. People who reply to topics should know that if they are on-topic and they follow the rules, they will not be censored. Also, it is very annoying for reply-writers when they write long, detailed responses and then the topics become off-topic and useless.

Well, it's your forum, but I've never seen OPs suddenly deciding replies to the first post to be off topic and complaining to moderators (who wouldn't then .. check?).

It's far more common to see posters in a thread getting irritated when moderators who are not part of the actual discussion go around and deleting posts.

(Not here, yet, but that's a worry with the change you outlined)

administrator
September 02, 2011, 08:58:55 PM
The concept of off/on topic in threads is really really difficult. The solution I've been most successful with (and I'm pre-Internet chatforum moderator old) is to have the original poster decide when the discussion that follows is on or off topic.

Else you end up in situations where the thread starter is fully ok with the discussion and a moderator starts deleting posts.

(In this case it should be somewhat easy for moderators to see if it's the thread starter that Reports to Moderator with "off topic" as reason)

This is not fair to the people responding to a topic, IMO. People who reply to topics should know that if they are on-topic and they follow the rules, they will not be censored. Also, it is very annoying for reply-writers when they write long, detailed responses and then the topics become off-topic and useless.

Maintaining perfect on-topicness is difficult. In the future, discussions may be made threaded instead of flat, which will basically be like having a system that automatically creates new topics when people are posting off-topic things (in many cases).
Activity: 530
September 02, 2011, 07:16:01 PM
The concept of off/on topic in threads is really really difficult. The solution I've been most successful with (and I'm pre-Internet chatforum moderator old) is to have the original poster decide when the discussion that follows is on or off topic.

Else you end up in situations where the thread starter is fully ok with the discussion and a moderator starts deleting posts.

(In this case it should be somewhat easy for moderators to see if it's the thread starter that Reports to Moderator with "off topic" as reason)
Activity: 154
Merit: 10
August 12, 2011, 04:23:36 PM
There is any way to star and/or grade a topic maybe could helps to "clean up"
Activity: 588
August 02, 2011, 12:17:37 PM
It's too tedious to manually send deletion notifications, though I would really like an automated system to PM people when they get a post deleted. I find the SMF code very confusing, though, so I will probably not be making any modifications within the near future.

I was under the impression that SMF already did this.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
August 02, 2011, 03:15:36 AM
Well no offense Theymos but you really need to get some help with running the forum (not applying for the job here) because it's seriously under-administered. It should have a much bigger crew relative to the number of members. And I'm not just talking about mods, a good developer would be handy.
Pages:
Jump to: