Pages:
Author

Topic: Do not post off-topic replies - page 9. (Read 230094 times)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0
September 19, 2012, 09:47:19 AM
Whats the yard - stick to decide on topic - off topic?
Is there a recourse to moderators , who falsify decisions to their will?
Is there public scrutiny provided about which moderator decided what?
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
September 10, 2012, 01:42:28 PM
It's going to be a monumental task to keep all thread ontopic. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1018
August 28, 2012, 10:27:51 PM
This is a terrible idea because it will come into conflict with the free flow of ideas.so if someone does not agree with a comment and reports it as off topic then it will be deleted regardless of how on or of topic it may be. The fact that the ppopular ops and mods can start or divert topics and simply flag all comments that attemped against their will or trend of thought. If something if not on topic then people can just use the ignore function, it is already a working part of this board.

Vite
PS: mobile version would be nice my "off topic" topic got send to meta nice...
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958
First Exclusion Ever
August 04, 2012, 03:39:38 AM
@Theymos - Why do we need open discussion in private marketplace ads? As I said before nothing is stopping people from making reports or making other threads about users if they abuse the control over their own threads.

You can use local thread rules if you don't want free discussion in your topics.
...aaand then it gets selectively enforced the other way and annoys the crap out of the moderators....
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
August 03, 2012, 06:06:40 AM
Instead of just deleting posts there should be a vertically slim message left saying:

"Post removed because deemed Off-Topic by moderator x"

This would avoid confusion.

Or at least have the offending poster automatically notified by pm that they were being too off topic.
administrator
Activity: 5166
Merit: 12850
August 02, 2012, 10:31:28 PM
@Theymos - Why do we need open discussion in private marketplace ads? As I said before nothing is stopping people from making reports or making other threads about users if they abuse the control over their own threads.

You can use local thread rules if you don't want free discussion in your topics.
legendary
First Exclusion Ever
August 02, 2012, 09:05:38 PM
At this point your behavior has degenerated into stalking and childish trolling. I said very explicitly what I would like including in the OP. Either act or if you like continue to talk about acting. I am not going to act like you are doing me a favor for removing unwanted posts that have already derailed the thread (as if that helps). Either do it or don't, stop talking about it and do something. You don't need anything from me.
vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1135
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
August 02, 2012, 06:38:13 PM
You are very arrogant to assume everything is always about you.

I see beautiful irony.  Actually it's hard not to see beauty in everything Bitcoin when the Bitcoin bulls are stampeding.

Anyway, the irony is in the fact that you've asked for the ability to delete off-topic replies to your OP's, of a mod who shares his belief that giving people that ability is fundamentally not a good idea... and then immediately afterward, you have posted an off-topic reply in a thread about off-topic replies, started by that same mod, who has the very ability you seek - but then who might opt to not use it in his own thread for the very reason he gave.  All to tell me I'm arrogant, but in a somewhat textbook arrogant manner (I'm not offended, if it matters - I am a complete ass rather frequently, mostly IRL though, and have no room to speak about manners).

Hopefully on a day like this though, you have some bitcoins in hand.  Do you have a donation address?  Can I send you a coin?  I am even willing to delete all my posts you are complaining are cluttering your thread, and never post in a thread of yours again, then we can put each other on our ignore lists and you can go back to selling your wares... all you gotta do is say that's what you want!
legendary
First Exclusion Ever
August 02, 2012, 06:28:46 PM
Would it be possible to let users delete off topic posts in their own threads? I have had a problem several times with people hijacking marketplace posts for trades who have no interest in an exchange but feel it is their duty to intervene or offer advice on every little thing even if it is completely counter productive to trading. If a user was abusing his ability to remove posts, nothing is stopping others from making their own threads to point this out, or for that matter reporting it to staff. Since forum policy states the OP should be able to dictate the post rules anyway, I think this could both serve the community and reduce staff workload.

If the desire rule is "I don't want anybody posting in my thread" there is already a button for that: lock topic.  It's on the lower left corner of your screen.

Since it appears you ask your customers to PM you rather than post in the thread, and you berate and curse non-customers who reply... it's a safe bet nobody should post in your thread but you.  In that case, the lock option is probably nothing less than what you're looking for.

You are very arrogant to assume everything is always about you. Is there anywhere on this forum I can go to ask a question without you interfering and turning it into a drama pageant? This is number 3 now.

administrator
Activity: 5166
Merit: 12850
August 02, 2012, 05:49:57 PM
Would it be possible to let users delete off topic posts in their own threads? I have had a problem several times with people hijacking marketplace posts for trades who have no interest in an exchange but feel it is their duty to intervene or offer advice on every little thing even if it is completely counter productive to trading. If a user was abusing his ability to remove posts, nothing is stopping others from making their own threads to point this out, or for that matter reporting it to staff. Since forum policy states the OP should be able to dictate the post rules anyway, I think this could both serve the community and reduce staff workload.

No. This would get in the way of free discussion. Most people are bad moderators. The OP sets the initial conditions for discussion and then loses all control over the topic. OPs do not own replies by other people.
vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1135
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
August 02, 2012, 05:30:53 PM

If the desire rule is "I don't want anybody posting in my thread" there is already a button for that: lock topic.  It's on the lower left corner of your screen.

Since it appears you ask your customers to PM you rather than post in the thread, and you berate and curse non-customers who reply... it's a safe bet nobody should post in your thread but you.  In that case, the lock option is probably nothing less than what you're looking for.
legendary
First Exclusion Ever
August 02, 2012, 05:28:21 PM
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
July 30, 2012, 12:07:10 AM
What classifies as an off-topic reply in THIS subject?

Anything not related to off-topic replies.   Cheesy

Mods have a hard job. I doubt they are getting much BTC for it, either.
A new forum software would make their job easier, if the SMF database
will cooperate.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
(:firstbits => "1mantis")
July 19, 2012, 04:14:51 PM
What classifies as an off-topic reply in THIS subject?
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003
June 14, 2012, 09:29:37 AM
Well, you better get over to the Bitcoinica thread and get your 'delete' button working!
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
June 09, 2012, 11:15:42 AM
Makes perfect sense. Only relevant things should be posted on topics. If your desperate to say something about something else make your own topic Tongue
Activity: 784
0xFB0D8D1534241423
June 05, 2012, 10:23:46 PM
What about these posts which consist of nothing but "+1", or "-1"? And are we allowed to post "bump" with no furthur comment?

Could be COMPLETELY phased out with a +/- rating link for posts.
I'd rather see that a trusted lender agrees with a post than the number 10 which could be composed of 3 scammers and 7 people trying to start a scam...
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
May 31, 2012, 01:34:14 PM
There should be a link in the bottom left of the post pane that says report to moderator

Thanks.

I should get my eyes checked Grin
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame
May 30, 2012, 08:25:11 PM
There should be a link in the bottom left of the post pane that says report to moderator
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
May 30, 2012, 08:20:51 PM
Thanks...How should we report?
Pages:
Jump to: