Pages:
Author

Topic: Do not post off-topic replies - page 11. (Read 223635 times)

administrator
Activity: 5110
Merit: 12475
August 02, 2011, 02:49:01 AM
It's too tedious to manually send deletion notifications, though I would really like an automated system to PM people when they get a post deleted. I find the SMF code very confusing, though, so I will probably not be making any modifications within the near future.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
August 02, 2011, 02:09:06 AM
I consider these posts to be off-topic because they have no point, but they don't cause much damage, so I usually don't delete them unless the poster posts useless replies a lot or the useless replies are reported.
I'm for allowing +1 posts. Not of great use use or very creative but they do show the general opinion of the audience on a certain topic. But people shouldn't limit themselves to just +1 or -1 posts.

Bumping is necessary, so I ignore these. Do not bump more than once a day or many times in a row, though.
Totally agree. I usually only bump my topics once if ever, on any forum.

Off-topic replies have become a big problem. From now on, I will be deleting such replies without notice, forum-wide. If your replies disappear, this is probably why.
Hear, hear !
This forum really does have a rampant off-topic-ing problem. But I'd still notify the authors so they can ammend their ways. Maybe an automated system would be ideal for the job.
administrator
July 26, 2011, 04:25:12 PM
What about these posts which consist of nothing but "+1", or "-1"?

I consider these posts to be off-topic because they have no point, but they don't cause much damage, so I usually don't delete them unless the poster posts useless replies a lot or the useless replies are reported.

Other moderators might be more or less strict about this.

And are we allowed to post "bump" with no furthur comment?

Bumping is necessary, so I ignore these. Do not bump more than once a day or many times in a row, though.
riX
Activity: 326
Merit: 252
July 26, 2011, 08:19:46 AM
+1 posts does not add any valuable information to the forum imho. The question is whether we want this to be a place to chat or a place to get information easily.

And to comment on the topic: great decision, if people want unquestioned freedom of speech we can create a subforum for that.
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
July 12, 2011, 09:09:12 AM
Love the clean up that has gone on in the Bitcoin Discussion

This is only a semi-off topic reply Wink
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
You are WRONG!
July 11, 2011, 09:05:41 AM
Activity: 588
June 14, 2011, 05:52:59 AM
I fully admit that the last few posts may be relevant in a way that i can't grasp, but i highly doubt it:

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=16032.60

If you see something that needs a moderator's attention, click "Report to moderator" at the lower right.
Activity: 504
June 13, 2011, 08:25:30 PM
I fully admit that the last few posts may be relevant in a way that i can't grasp, but i highly doubt it:

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=16032.60
Activity: 588
June 10, 2011, 12:51:52 AM
+1.

I'll be more than happy to join you. Cry "havoc" and let slip the dogs of war!
administrator
June 10, 2011, 12:39:36 AM
Off-topic replies have become a big problem. From now on, I will be deleting such replies without notice, forum-wide. If your replies disappear, this is probably why.

All replies must respond to the topic's original post in some way, even if they are replying to an on-topic reply. If your reply has nothing to do with the topic post, either add some content that is relevant or create a new topic.

Please report off-topic posts as soon as you see them.
Pages:
Jump to: