Pages:
Author

Topic: Do not post off-topic replies - page 8. (Read 230221 times)

legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
June 19, 2013, 03:36:16 PM
Hi, please don't turn into a power tripping mod Theymos, I've had enough of them lately, what you guys should be worrying about is all these spammers and hackers gathering on these boards to con people out of their Bitcoins. Trying to appeal to over-sensitive muppets who don't know about the ignore function is just going to be a waste of time and will also lead to all sorts of bullshit rules that will swiftly empty this forum. I'm also going to take the opportunity to shamelessly plug my forum and say if what I've just predicted does happen ( and it usually does sadly ) you're all more than welcome to my forum when the inevitable ban fest happens, just ask for an invite code.
legendary
Activity: 1344
April 07, 2013, 12:04:53 PM
thats a picture of nothing show the posts please and my opening post

and bring up my old reports of the cat pictures as well  Cheesy

legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127
April 07, 2013, 12:01:16 PM
All of them, from today anyway. Here's a helpful image for you.

legendary
April 07, 2013, 11:58:26 AM
every post i reported was off topic half of them where cat pictures a few months ago

tonight they where not really responding to the opening post in an appropriate fashion if you

you think im joking about setting up a Bitcoin Central Bank fine but im doing it, instead of just trying

to say that my reports where incorrect just explain to me   
legendary
April 07, 2013, 11:48:12 AM
think i have a decent enough background in moderating and forums in general to know who is trolling and who is responding to my legitimate threads
legendary
April 07, 2013, 11:44:32 AM
I think we should have a "rep" button as well as "ignore"

Are you with me fellow bovine?

ARE YOU WITH ME!?

what about a temporary ignore button that reports the post giving the mods more time to regulate

Mod response time is fine, you just have bad/incorrect reports.  

not one of my reports is incorrect
legendary
April 07, 2013, 11:30:09 AM

ARE YOU WITH ME!?

what about a temporary ignore button that reports the post giving the mods more time to regulate

Mod response time is fine, you just have bad/incorrect reports. 
legendary
April 07, 2013, 11:07:07 AM

ARE YOU WITH ME!?

legendary
April 07, 2013, 10:45:15 AM
Off-topic replies have become a big problem. From now on, I will be deleting such replies without notice, forum-wide. If your replies disappear, this is probably why.

All replies must respond to the topic's original post in some way, even if they are replying to an on-topic reply. If your reply has nothing to do with the topic post, either add some content that is relevant or create a new topic.

Please report off-topic posts as soon as you see them.

can we actually enforce this rule instead of taking it out on the op thankyou
administrator
Activity: 5166
Merit: 12850
February 01, 2013, 01:35:22 AM
the mods instead of removing THEIR posts changed the name of my thread and moved it to a discussion area!

Moderators should not do this.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958
First Exclusion Ever
February 01, 2013, 01:13:23 AM
Quite often an extrapolating answer is judged by some as off topic. Usually by people that only read the OP and last post!!!

Also often a thread consists of mitiple diaglouges on different elaborations of the OP, like two or more threads in one.

It's also the OP responsibility to correct a thread in progress if it does'nt find a natural end, as he is the only one that know what the intent of the thread is and state if the OP has been covered or become circular in arguments.

An off topic reporting system can be a weapon as the ignore button: "I will report you out of thread if keep comparing this and that".

Bitcointalk.org is a place where people get smarter, don't elude others of that experience.

I agree. The moderators don't have the time or desire to moderate all of the off topic posts. Additionally like you mentioned they can't always know the original intent of the OP. I have in the past for example had a marketplace thread hijacked by off topic posters, then the mods instead of removing THEIR posts changed the name of my thread and moved it to a discussion area! Not only did this strip me of my right to have a voice like anyone else here it actually put me in legal liability (and also probably bitcointalk itself) because of government regulation of the good and the wording of the new topic subject.

How is assisting off topic thread hijackers supporting free speech? As I said before the mods have no desire to do this and really don't know for sure what an OP might be trying to achieve. Nothing is stopping people from making their own thread so that they can be heard if we can each control our own. Anyone abusing this control would be exposed fairly quickly with other users cooperating to make threads decrying them. Additionally I have found thru personal experience if you point out abuse/mistakes from moderators here, they tend to find reasons to mess with you even more, leaving little room for getting problems fixed if the mistake lies with a moderator.

Relying on unpaid moderators to solve this problem is asinine and only results in the "good ol boy" club and donators getting help with the rest of us being told to deal with it. Some of us don't like to beg for help that never comes. Why not just give us the ability to manage our own threads? Making this problem the exclusive burden/responsibility of the moderators puts the burden entirely on the moderators rather than being distributed thru many users. Additionally moderators lose nothing if they don't respond to OP reports, but the OP loses time, effort, and some times money. The OP benefits most from controlling off topic posts, why not allow them to be responsible for it? Bitcointalk is far too large to rely on a handful of volunteer moderators, especially for what uninterested individuals might call a petty task of dealing with thousands of off topic posts. We are constantly told to report posts, but reports are usually met with nothing but apathy. Please stop using free speech as a veil for supporting total top down control when in reality it actually just as often makes speech less free here.
Activity: 784
Merit: 502
January 30, 2013, 11:25:17 AM

ARE YOU WITH ME!?
Activity: 504
Merit: 250
January 19, 2013, 06:47:41 AM
Quite often an extrapolating answer is judged by some as off topic. Usually by people that only read the OP and last post!!!

Also often a thread consists of mitiple diaglouges on different elaborations of the OP, like two or more threads in one.

It's also the OP responsibility to correct a thread in progress if it does'nt find a natural end, as he is the only one that know what the intent of the thread is and state if the OP has been covered or become circular in arguments.

An off topic reporting system can be a weapon as the ignore button: "I will report you out of thread if keep comparing this and that".

Bitcointalk.org is a place where people get smarter, don't elude others of that experience.
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
November 15, 2012, 09:00:40 AM
It's not that much of a problem any more, I guess.
Not in the main forum, but if you checked out the mining forum before I cleaned it up you would have seen that it was a disaster.

Oh ok. It might heavily depend on which forums one looks at.

Late me also take this opportunity to thanks all mods for their great work!
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015
November 14, 2012, 09:49:52 PM
It's not that much of a problem any more, I guess.
Not in the main forum, but if you checked out the mining forum before I cleaned it up you would have seen that it was a disaster.
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
November 14, 2012, 03:35:39 PM
Conversation drifts and develops, this may not be the best thing to do, you may be discouraged from posting something interesting for fear of it deviating from the original article too much, although it may still be relevant in the context of the flow of discussion. In this case posting a new topic would risk losing momentum if they missed the new thread.

I agree.

Some of the best discussions I take part in happen at least borderline off-topic. I think the OP was in reply to the huge rush of new users back in 2011. It's not that much of a problem any more, I guess.
Activity: 562
Merit: 100
October 05, 2012, 06:29:58 AM
Conversation drifts and develops, this may not be the best thing to do, you may be discouraged from posting something interesting for fear of it deviating from the original article too much, although it may still be relevant in the context of the flow of discussion. In this case posting a new topic would risk losing momentum if they missed the new thread.
administrator
Activity: 5166
Merit: 12850
September 20, 2012, 08:46:39 AM
That means deleting is never done without your consent ?  Moderators just report ?
Is there any thread, where the different powers of moderators, globalmoderators and administrators is explained?
Thanks

"Moderators" moderate specific sections. They can delete posts there, edit them, move topics, split topics, lock topics, and sticky topics. "Global moderators" are the same as moderators, but they moderate all sections. All staff can also whitelist newbies and ban newbies. Administrators can do anything.

Any user can report a post. The report is send to the admins, global moderators, and any applicable section moderators. The recipients choose to act on the report or not.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
September 20, 2012, 08:29:37 AM
Whats the yard - stick to decide on topic - off topic?

Is the post related to the OP in any way? If not then it's off topic. I don't generally censor replies just for being off topic, a couple here and there are harmless, only if they break another rule as well (trolling, ad hom, etc).
...so if someone does not agree with a comment and reports it as off topic then it will be deleted regardless of how on or of topic it may be. ...

No, reports are just suggestions, I look at each objectively.

That means deleting is never done without your consent ?  Moderators just report ?
Is there any thread, where the different powers of moderators, globalmoderators and administrators is explained?
Thanks
legendary
September 20, 2012, 07:40:04 AM
Whats the yard - stick to decide on topic - off topic?

Is the post related to the OP in any way? If not then it's off topic. I don't generally censor replies just for being off topic, a couple here and there are harmless, only if they break another rule as well (trolling, ad hom, etc).
...so if someone does not agree with a comment and reports it as off topic then it will be deleted regardless of how on or of topic it may be. ...

No, reports are just suggestions, I look at each objectively.
Pages:
Jump to: