Pages:
Author

Topic: Do not post off-topic replies - page 7. (Read 230186 times)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0
January 09, 2014, 07:56:26 AM
Please don't discount the human tendency to access memory through tangents (the natural neural network framework).

It is the foundation of creativity and has incubated the beginnings of all the technological breakthroughs in recorded history.

For example, while working on secure communications, Dr. Merkle - of the Merkle tree fame - first proposed the hash of a hash security process that happens to be the basis of the double SHA256 encryption algorithm that our beloved Bitcoin is based upon...

So please, a little tolerance of off-topic submissions might promote innovation - and probably another thread?

Cheers,

JaiChai
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
www.DonateMedia.org
December 31, 2013, 02:35:03 AM
Not sure how much I agree with this...

Basically it sounds like you are going to censor the board completely by yourself with zero user interaction at your discretion alone.

I would agree that off-topic posts, and even off-topic threads (does no one read the thread topic before posting in a section?) are a problem that is cluttering up the boards with needless junk, but this isn't the way to handle it.

Activity: 11
December 04, 2013, 08:02:15 PM
As a newcomer i feel off topic means everything else within the realms of perceptive reality?
Bits coin research info can tax the brain a tad and the people therein
Just let it roll,I'm billy meiers love child but wouldn't shout about it Wink
legendary
Activity: 966
September 30, 2013, 02:08:03 PM
Ya I see that now, but still.

I would recommend a market place thread for BTC only. It junks up the thread.
b!z
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010
September 30, 2013, 12:53:33 AM

Mastercoin is sort of like Bitcoin, since it's built on top of the BTC protocol.
legendary
legendary
Merit: 1004
Keep it real
September 18, 2013, 12:31:58 PM
I dont know why you guys wont let people flag post.

The master coin thread is allowed to remain in the currency thread when all other alts have been moved. Looks to be favoritism to me.

Let the community police the thread.. instead of insiders playing games and giving favors to their buddies

Not sure what you're talking about, got a link?
legendary
September 18, 2013, 11:44:04 AM
I dont know why you guys wont let people flag post.

The master coin thread is allowed to remain in the currency thread when all other alts have been moved. Looks to be favoritism to me.

Let the community police the thread.. instead of insiders playing games and giving favors to their buddies

legendary
Merit: 1004
Keep it real
September 18, 2013, 11:37:17 AM
No bumping posts?

Bumping isn't off topic if you talk about the thread Wink.

Bumping is allowed, keep it to 1 per 24 hours
staff
Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110
September 18, 2013, 11:14:08 AM
No bumping posts?

Bumping isn't off topic if you talk about the thread Wink.
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003
August 30, 2013, 08:45:52 AM
No post count posts either. Wink
Activity: 938
Merit: 1009
July 01, 2013, 12:31:36 PM
Off-topic replies have become a big problem. From now on, I will be deleting such replies without notice, forum-wide. If your replies disappear, this is probably why.

All replies must respond to the topic's original post in some way, even if they are replying to an on-topic reply. If your reply has nothing to do with the topic post, either add some content that is relevant or create a new topic.

Please report off-topic posts as soon as you see them.

name calling (= troll)  and personal attacks are tolerated if not encouraged by the mods!!!

>> IS NAME CALLING i.e =:PERSONAL ATTACKS NOT OFF-TOPIC Huh?

Try posting sober. It might help.

i'm totally sober i'm a Christian Scientist ! *link restored*~>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_Scientist

>>>WTF  DO YOU RUN SILK ROAD SHOPS???

Your gimmick needs work. Find a better one.

Coincidentally I am offering right now a time limited special rebate to my introductory course "Wearing your mask like it fits - a beginners guide to building a forums persona".

This three week course is available at the low price of 9.99 BTC throughout the month of July.

Take advantage of this offer now and receive a free supply of forum avatars and hilarous* image macros.

*image macros may not be hilarious
July 01, 2013, 12:22:50 PM
Off-topic replies have become a big problem. From now on, I will be deleting such replies without notice, forum-wide. If your replies disappear, this is probably why.

All replies must respond to the topic's original post in some way, even if they are replying to an on-topic reply. If your reply has nothing to do with the topic post, either add some content that is relevant or create a new topic.

name calling (= troll)  and personal attacks are tolerated if not encouraged by the mods!!!

i'm totally sober i'm a Christian Scientist ! *link restored*~>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_Scientist

>>>WTF  DO YOU RUN SILK ROAD SHOPS???
Activity: 938
Merit: 1009
July 01, 2013, 12:20:21 PM

name calling (= troll)  and personal attacks are tolerated if not encouraged by the mods!!!

July 01, 2013, 12:05:40 PM

name calling (= troll)  and personal attacks are tolerated if not encouraged by the mods!!!

July 01, 2013, 11:58:10 AM
Quite often an extrapolating answer is judged by some as off topic. Usually by people that only read the OP and last post!!!

Also often a thread consists of mitiple diaglouges on different elaborations of the OP, like two or more threads in one.

It's also the OP responsibility to correct a thread in progress if it does'nt find a natural end, as he is the only one that know what the intent of the thread is and state if the OP has been covered or become circular in arguments.

An off topic reporting system can be a weapon as the ignore button: "I will report you out of thread if keep comparing this and that".

Bitcointalk.org is a place where people get smarter, don't elude others of that experience.

I agree. The moderators don't have the time or desire to moderate all of the off topic posts. Additionally like you mentioned they can't always know the original intent of the OP. I have in the past for example had a marketplace thread hijacked by off topic posters, then the mods instead of removing THEIR posts changed the name of my thread and moved it to a discussion area! Not only did this strip me of my right to have a voice like anyone else here it actually put me in legal liability (and also probably bitcointalk itself) because of government regulation of the good and the wording of the new topic subject.

How is assisting off topic thread hijackers supporting free speech? As I said before the mods have no desire to do this and really don't know for sure what an OP might be trying to achieve. Nothing is stopping people from making their own thread so that they can be heard if we can each control our own. Anyone abusing this control would be exposed fairly quickly with other users cooperating to make threads decrying them. Additionally I have found thru personal experience if you point out abuse/mistakes from moderators here, they tend to find reasons to mess with you even more, leaving little room for getting problems fixed if the mistake lies with a moderator.

Relying on unpaid moderators to solve this problem is asinine and only results in the "good ol boy" club and donators getting help with the rest of us being told to deal with it. Some of us don't like to beg for help that never comes. Why not just give us the ability to manage our own threads? Making this problem the exclusive burden/responsibility of the moderators puts the burden entirely on the moderators rather than being distributed thru many users. Additionally moderators lose nothing if they don't respond to OP reports, but the OP loses time, effort, and some times money. The OP benefits most from controlling off topic posts, why not allow them to be responsible for it? Bitcointalk is far too large to rely on a handful of volunteer moderators, especially for what uninterested individuals might call a petty task of dealing with thousands of off topic posts. We are constantly told to report posts, but reports are usually met with nothing but apathy. Please stop using free speech as a veil for supporting total top down control when in reality it actually just as often makes speech less free here.

bitcointalk.org flies in the face of "free speech" !!!!!

>>>WHY?Huh
legendary
June 29, 2013, 01:23:25 PM
Yeah, i didnt consider the legal implementation.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127
June 29, 2013, 01:21:08 PM
Is it possible to activate "self moderated" after starting a topic?

No. Posters need to be aware before they participate.
legendary
June 29, 2013, 12:58:39 PM
Is it possible to activate "self moderated" after starting a topic?
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye
June 28, 2013, 03:38:15 PM
I think the forum has gotten much better since this rule was implemented.

By the way, I think the last few ad-hominem posts should be considered off-topic  Grin
Pages:
Jump to: