Pages:
Author

Topic: Dwarf FPGA – the anti-ASIC - page 46. (Read 43440 times)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0
May 31, 2018, 12:03:24 PM

--What chip, or even brand are you using?
It is not Xilinx/Altera. Spartan-III  can get 1.3-1.5 kh/s, it's true. But most part of the resources will be spent on AES implementation.

From page 3 of the thread. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.37196131

Not an actual answer.  Unless I am misunderstanding.

This is not an actual answer. He just states that Spartan III will do 1.3-1.5kh/s. Doubtful that most of the power comes from AES side(i know nothing about FPGA-s tho..).
legendary
Activity: 1726
Merit: 1018
May 31, 2018, 11:18:07 AM

--What chip, or even brand are you using?
It is not Xilinx/Altera. Spartan-III  can get 1.3-1.5 kh/s, it's true. But most part of the resources will be spent on AES implementation.

From page 3 of the thread. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.37196131

Not an actual answer.  Unless I am misunderstanding.
Activity: 557
Merit: 5
May 31, 2018, 11:04:18 AM
The OP actually did say earlier in the thread what is being used. 

The only thing i read regarding the chip is

--DwarfMiner can you take off heatsink ? So We can see chip under heatsink.
This is a "know how" of team. In addition, if you'll take off heatsink during using, you will lose the warranty.
Activity: 868
Merit: 517
May 31, 2018, 10:57:28 AM
The OP actually did say earlier in the thread what is being used. 
May 31, 2018, 10:21:56 AM
Dwarf probably is scared to send out test units because we all know that currently there are stickers hiding chip information. And these test units will be definitely disassembled revealing that chip information. And after that we realize that oh god, this is so easy that I can do it ( or something similar that just puts dwarf into bad light etc. )

Currently there is no information about what chip is used.

This still screams SCAM because after units are sent out, we WILL find out about that PCB . And then the truth is harsh...
I dont think knowing the chip model and layout of the board is enough to make it work.
It's (according to dwarfminer) supposed to be an FPGA so you sill need to create the pathing and program it.
It's not a "any electronician can do it if you have the parts", far from it...

Yes, sorry, it isn't easy, software wise.. But why there is no information about what chip is used? Then we can theoretically check if the math works out...
Indeed. If the product is released the chip and architecture of the board will be known no matter what so  there is no much reason hiding it unless...it's a...
May 31, 2018, 09:46:48 AM
Dwarf probably is scared to send out test units because we all know that currently there are stickers hiding chip information. And these test units will be definitely disassembled revealing that chip information. And after that we realize that oh god, this is so easy that I can do it ( or something similar that just puts dwarf into bad light etc. )

This still screams SCAM because after units are sent out, we WILL find out about that PCB . And then the truth is harsh...
I dont think knowing the chip model and layout of the board is enough to make it work.
It's (according to dwarfminer) supposed to be an FPGA so you sill need to create the pathing and program it.

Yes, sorry, it isn't easy, software wise.. But why there is no information about what chip is used? Then we can theoretically check if the math works out...
May 31, 2018, 09:41:52 AM

Activity: 324
Merit: 250
May 31, 2018, 08:57:16 AM
I'll admit I have ordered a couple of units and paid in BTC, I'm praying this works out!
I've been on this forum for 5 years and havent been scammed yet, but this might be my first.

I see all the red flags as well, but I've chosen to gamble on this purchase.

I'll admit it, I'm scared af!

Edit:

I know there is atleast more than 1 person involved, based on writing-style. But they all sign with /July. Not sure what to think about that tbh!
May 31, 2018, 08:49:24 AM

May 31, 2018, 08:07:48 AM

You know that OhGodaCompany released a software that increases eth hashrate free of charge for everyone.
It's perfectly possible that DwarfMiner team for ethical reasons wants to keep the first cards to small time miner.
But like i said the first reason i wrote : - It's scam

All the more reason for validation by a trusted community member, to reassure buying by small miners.

Big pockets keep it hush hush and can travel at will to verify themselves.

Small time miners would hugely benefit from the vetting of legitimacy, and drive sales through the roof.

If this is not a scam but actually legit, big pockets will eat up all the 25k units of the second batch anyway, unless very serious
measures are set in place against that.

Ethical reasons would imply ethical behaviour, which is what we are not witnessing here.
This is a double edge sword but i understand what you mean
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000
May 31, 2018, 08:02:34 AM

You know that OhGodaCompany released a software that increases eth hashrate free of charge for everyone.
It's perfectly possible that DwarfMiner team for ethical reasons wants to keep the first cards to small time miner.

All the more reason for validation by a trusted community member, to reassure buying by small miners.

Big pockets keep it hush hush and can travel at will to verify themselves.

Small time miners would hugely benefit from the vetting of legitimacy, and drive sales through the roof.

If this is not a scam but actually legit, big pockets will eat up all the 25k units of the second batch anyway, unless very serious
measures are set in place against that.

Ethical reasons would imply ethical behaviour, which is what we are not witnessing here.
May 31, 2018, 07:44:50 AM

They have 1500 units left apparently so obviously they dont need someone to validate the item.
There are three possible reasons :
- It's a scam
- The unit does not perform as promoted
- They dont want the units to be bought by only a few persons with deep pockets. If a legendary member confirm the unit is working as intended it would have two consequences : validate the unit so big pockets would buy it in bulk and bring monero team's attention to the project.

So the answer then is not to validate? ha! If you dont want big pocket and bulk sales, simply dont accept the offer, and set in place rigid IP, address, paypal and CC limits. Problem solved. Big pockets always get what they want, as they have resources for it.

Solution? Target lower pockets that have less opportunity to go after them if it is a scam. People who can't pay for lawyers and set wheels in motion, because it is simply not worth it.

Its an FPGA! Monero could be all over it if they'd want, a simple SW update would solve the issue. Cat and mouse game, unlike ASIC that get instantly bricked. Plus, its multi-algo.
legendary
May 31, 2018, 07:32:56 AM
like I wrote earlier...

a positive review from a forum member opens the money well or whatever you call it in English.

you would be stupid not to do this and it would just stal new orders.

just take a bubble wrap envelope and send it out. this doesn't require much time nor money and has nothing to do with reaching the deadline or not of that first batch.

Exactly! Otherwise, what is the point of opening a thread like this, here?
If not for social validation, what else could it be for?
legendary
May 31, 2018, 07:31:45 AM

They have 1500 units left apparently so obviously they dont need someone to validate the item.
- It's a scam
- They dont want the units to be bought by only a few persons with deep pockets. If a legendary member confirm the unit is working as intended it would have two consequences : validate the unit so big pockets would buy it in bulk and bring monero team's attention to the project.

So the answer then is not to validate? ha! If you dont want big pocket and bulk sales, simply dont accept the offer, and set in place rigid IP, address, paypal and CC limits. Problem solved. Big pockets always get what they want, as they have resources for it.

Solution? Target lower pockets that have less opportunity to go after them if it is a scam. People who can't pay for lawyers and set wheels in motion, because it is simply not worth it.

Its an FPGA! Monero could be all over it if they'd want, a simple SW update would solve the issue. Cat and mouse game, unlike ASIC that get instantly bricked. Plus, its multi-algo.
gvb
Activity: 140
Merit: 9
May 31, 2018, 07:25:45 AM
like I wrote earlier...

a positive review from a forum member opens the money well or whatever you call it in English.

you would be stupid not to do this and it would just stal new orders.

just take a bubble wrap envelope and send it out. this doesn't require much time nor money and has nothing to do with reaching the deadline or not of that first batch.
May 31, 2018, 07:22:13 AM
Dwarfminer, et al.

One thing I am seriously struggling with is the blatant disregard to answering a vetted trusted member, after the insane amount of requests by the community.

I openly stated on the very first pages I would be happy and willing to verify authenticity, plus, apparently I'm not physically far away - how could a fantastic opportunity like this have been left mute is mind-boggling. Not even a direct response to my offer also raises concerns.

Saying you don't wish to validate your miner through a trusted community member because "they sell just fine without it" openly suggests you have no consideration for transparency and ethos, and are in it for a quick buck.

The business practice is shady, to say the least. FPGA developers do not indeed build websites. But you can hire a teenager to do a better job for scraps. Heck, even a $29 buck shopify store even without a custom domain would look better.

I've seen this pre-order shady model far too many times before. I think the first I almost fell for was Flower Tech back in 2014.
 You PayPal excuses are very lame, and are inaccurate. If you PP someone as friends or family, and not as merchant/seller - there is no dispute possible. Plus, even if such were the case, the 45 day mark does not include shipping and seems terribly coincidental.

You got flagged by Paypal and they locked your account for further ID verification. This happens every day with new ecommerce guys starting out, because either a) recent unverified account b) way too much cash suddenly flows in an is deemed suspicious/high risk. Both of which are relatively easy to unflag with proper verification - but that does not protect the buyers at all.

I can see a small "production hickup" coming near delivery time. Classic run-off

I highly suggest everyone stay clear from this. I really really reeeeally hope no one gets burnt.

My offer still stands of course, but we all know that will never happen. If by chance you wish to prove all us Legendary members who posted here wrong - again, I'd be more than happy to comply.
- It's a scam
legendary
May 31, 2018, 07:04:43 AM
Dwarfminer, et al.

One thing I am seriously struggling with is the blatant disregard to answering a vetted trusted member, after the insane amount of requests by the community.

I openly stated on the very first pages I would be happy and willing to verify authenticity, plus, apparently I'm not physically far away - how could a fantastic opportunity like this have been left mute is mind-boggling. Not even a direct response to my offer also raises concerns.

Saying you don't wish to validate your miner through a trusted community member because "they sell just fine without it" openly suggests you have no consideration for transparency and ethos, and are in it for a quick buck.

The business practice is shady, to say the least. FPGA developers do not indeed build websites. But you can hire a teenager to do a better job for scraps. Heck, even a $29 buck shopify store even without a custom domain would look better.

I've seen this pre-order shady model far too many times before. I think the first I almost fell for were Alpha and Flower Tech back in 2013.
 You PayPal excuses are very lame, and are inaccurate. If you PP someone as friends or family, and not as merchant/seller - there is no dispute possible. Plus, even if such were the case, the 45 day mark does not include shipping and seems terribly coincidental.

You got flagged by Paypal and they locked your account for further ID verification. This happens every day with new ecommerce guys starting out, because either a) recent unverified account b) way too much cash suddenly flows in an is deemed suspicious/high risk. Both of which are relatively easy to unflag with proper verification - but that does not protect the buyers at all.

I can see a small "production hickup" coming near delivery time. Classic run-off

I highly suggest everyone stay clear from this. I really really reeeeally hope no one gets burnt.

My offer still stands of course, but we all know that will never happen. If by chance you wish to prove all us Legendary members who posted here wrong - again, I'd be more than happy to comply.
Activity: 50
May 31, 2018, 05:36:55 AM

--He did that, and he'd get 'tons' of orders on a positive review.
We were forced to connect programmers to the processing of orders, because the manager can not cope  Tongue

Not an excuse to not send a sample board to a trusted member for a review. I don't how the amount of orders are connected to sending a sample board.

--So videos where he's "mining" with this miner can be easily faked.
Power consumption, heating, it is also easy to fake in game?

I can make the device multiply 2 by 2 in an endless loop and it will consume power and produce heat. Same goes for a toaster, it consumes power and makes heat, but doesn't really mine monero, doesn't it ?

Activity: 504
Merit: 3
May 31, 2018, 04:30:00 AM
Interested in getting a couple but I prefer to pay by Paypal only.
May 31, 2018, 02:00:36 AM
Batch 2, get that batch 2 up and taking preorders before the first units get into anyone's hot little hands to try it for themselves... Get as many of those babies sold as possible before any bad news hits....

If anyone is following the other FPGA thread the price for entry is a LONG SHOT from where this unit is at.  So there is a HUGE disconnect somewhere.

On the FPGA part and performance if think you are wrong.
The performance are inline with what a fpga of this price could do.
a vcu1525 can do 70k (according to reports so that is not worth much) for more than 10 time that price at roughly the same power consumption.
Not to mention they might have added an AES chip to accelerate just the AES side so that would be perfectly in line.
Pages:
Jump to: