Pages:
Author

Topic: error - page 88. (Read 360500 times)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0
January 19, 2014, 05:32:22 PM
For 51k we could get it all the way up to .1 btc  Cheesy

Activity: 907
Merit: 1003
January 19, 2014, 05:31:10 PM
Requesting everyone add your mining support to RonPaulCoin!

LET'S MINE OUR WAY TO BLOCK # 13650 !!!

Only 247 blocks to go!
January 19, 2014, 05:30:56 PM

Only 258 blocks to go!

The pool where I'm mining (rpc.muchhash.com) sais it's 286 blocks :S

That's because 286 was to the next normal difficulty adjustment point.

The fork is not occuring at a regular interval. It's happening a little sooner
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1052
May the force bit with you.
January 19, 2014, 05:19:07 PM

8 days is not really enough time to secure the chain against the coming storm.

Auto Checkpoints are now in the most current version. If it comes to it, they can be pushed out, all other chains will be useless, and the new chain will be protected and secured by the ACP.

Yes, as I said all blocks continuing the old chain will be rejected by the most current version.  But to those who do not accept the current version yet, that doesn't matter much until the blockchain mined by the current version passes in length the one they're going to carve out instantly when the next diff adjustment hits.  They'll never be able to do it *AGAIN*, but they can still cause chaos in the short term, especially if there is even one exchange market that hasn't updated.

Agree 100%. Hard forks should never be taken lightly. Especially when you can't use the alrert key. Which won't work until the new version, and they don't need to be told.  Wink
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1132
January 19, 2014, 04:41:55 PM

Auto Checkpoints are now in the most current version. If it comes to it, they can be pushed out, all other chains will be useless, and the new chain will be protected and secured by the ACP.

Yes, as I said all blocks continuing the old chain will be rejected by the most current version.  But to those who do not accept the current version yet, that doesn't matter much until the blockchain mined by the current version passes in length the one they're going to carve out instantly when the next diff adjustment hits.  They'll never be able to do it *AGAIN*, but they can still cause chaos in the short term, especially if there is even one exchange market that hasn't updated.

Activity: 193
Merit: 100
January 19, 2014, 04:10:11 PM
RonPaulCoin Blockchain is on CryptExplorer now:
http://cryptexplorer.com/chain/RonPaulCoin

Any donations appreciated!
RPC: RE4JD9r346G8hH1nJfGaYoxAZXtktEPP6S
legendary
January 19, 2014, 04:03:48 PM
My big worry is the miners whom we do not see reflected in the current hash rate.  

There is danger that when RPC hits its next adjustment, they're going to look at a choice;  Mine with the old client at very low difficulty, or mine with the new client at a much higher difficulty.  

Activity: 362
Merit: 250
January 19, 2014, 04:02:36 PM
My big worry is the miners whom we do not see reflected in the current hash rate.  

There is danger that when RPC hits its next adjustment, they're going to look at a choice;  Mine with the old client at very low difficulty, or mine with the new client at a much higher difficulty.  

My understanding is that any coins mined on the old client (after the fork) will not be valid. Can someone else confirm?
legendary
Merit: 1000
January 19, 2014, 03:57:56 PM
Surely if one fork a new chain then the old chain would have some kind of end-block that would tell the miner there's an error.

Surely all the computer programming geeks would know that already.

Surely we can't have another period of minor calamity.
Activity: 117
Merit: 10
January 19, 2014, 03:57:13 PM
I bought like 250 coins in the last days! thinkin of buying even more Smiley
legendary
January 19, 2014, 03:46:13 PM

Because at the very low difficulty RPC will be profitable, and at the high difficulty it won't, we can expect some of them to jump on to the side of the fork with the old client and start hashing away.  Those who see the new client and abide by its difficulty rules will see that at the higher difficulty other coins are more profitable to mine, so they'll mine other coins and stay away from RPC.  

The net result is that when the hard fork gets here we will have a whole LOT of hash power jumping in on the old client, and are very likely to have the fix wind up on the losing side of the fork.  Even if we see 99% adoption rate for the new client in the people who are mining now, the massive surge in mining power that is waiting for the coin's next adjustment is all anticipating mining with the old client.  Those who are seeing the new client and willing to abide by it simply aren't part of that set.  

So, what's likely to happen when the fork gets here is that the WRONG side of the fork will take off and mine out another week's worth of coins in another four hours or whatever, all of which get rejected by the new client, while the guys abiding by the rules in the new client add just a few blocks, all of which get rejected by the much longer chain running the old client.  Old chain difficulty will bounce high, get abandoned by the profit-seeking miners, and then have zero or near-zero hash power devoted to it, knocking it out for many months while the new chain, powered by people actually supporting the coin, catches up to its length and passes it.  It'll take several weeks to sort this mess out.  Meanwhile all those miners will be hitting the market with bogus RPC not supported by the new-client block chain, and all the suckers who buy them on the exchanges will be horribly butthurt when the legit chain finally gets longer than the bogus chain, because it'll turn out that coins they bought are on an orphaned blockchain that was longer than the "real" blockchain for WEEKS!  Along with all the 'cheating' and 'scam' and so forth accusations that will bring about.

To avoid this situation, we need to *BURY* the old client before the hard fork gets here.  Seriously, take it down from everyplace someone could download it from, take archives of it offline, remove links to it if it's someplace you can't remove it from, etc.  The best situation is that the miners don't have the two versions to choose between.  

January 19, 2014, 03:30:55 PM
just a thought but if anyone has enough loot we could bid it up. If the price goes up it would get hash from normal users and if it gets high enough to attract a multi pool then we'd hit the fork block pretty quick.

Unfortunately I'm not exactly loaded.

This is exactly true.

There are 2 main ways I see of assisting our hashrate and making this happen even sooner:

1.) We buy up RonPaulCoin and make the value higher, thus forcing miners who are solely in it for profit, to come mine our coin because it is more valuable than others.

2.) We continue to promote and get our coin on all the other exchanges (cryptsy, coins-e, vircurex, bter, etc). This will get many more people interested in the coin AND more people buying it, which will also drive up the price.

I just sunk a sizable amount of US Dollars into RonPaulCoin last night (Yes, I buy my own coin). I am not asking you to buy some-- do so if you want to, not because anyone asked you to. But if you want to contribute the above two methods are valid ways to really help out.
Activity: 56
January 19, 2014, 03:26:24 PM
just a thought but if anyone has enough loot we could bid it up. If the price goes up it would get hash from normal users and if it gets high enough to attract a multi pool then we'd hit the fork block pretty quick.

Unfortunately I'm not exactly loaded.
Activity: 486
Merit: 500
January 19, 2014, 03:25:13 PM
It has come to my attention that not everyone knows exactly how the difficulty adjustment will take place, so I wrote this to hopefully add some clarification to those who would like some more information on it:

RonPaulCoin was created with (and is still operating on) difficulty adjustments every 720 blocks, which (when hash-rate is consistent) is about 24 hours and about 2 minutes per block. Currently the block time is about 45 minutes per block due to the insanely high hashrate left over from multipool-style miners.

Things will start to change very quickly once we hit block #13650, but in a smooth way. The difficulty will begin walking down in steps of 11% drops. But it will also happen every 48 blocks from that point forward, instead of humungous waits of 720 blocks.

The current difficulty is about 78.

At block #13650 the difficulty will drop to about 69 or 70 (which is an 11% drop). Then 48 blocks later, it will drop another 11% (assuming a drop is required), and so on, until a happy medium between hashrate and difficulty is met.

As you can see, the difficulty will become corrected in a faster and faster fashion, until we are back at 2 minute blocks where we should be.

After that point (once everything is corrected), the difficulty of RonPaulCoin will no longer be thrown off by multi-poolers for 2 reasons:

1.) The difficulty will only allow for a 11% increase even if the hashrate spikes. It will also only allow for a 11% maximum drop.
2.) RonPaulCoin will be checking the network hashrate and making adjustments every 1.6 hours instead of every 24 hours, allowing for much faster adjustments.

I hope this offers some clarification of what is to come

Great thanks for the clarification. Anyone's guess what this will do to the price of RPC?
January 19, 2014, 03:19:30 PM
It has come to my attention that not everyone knows exactly how the difficulty adjustment will take place, so I wrote this to hopefully add some clarification to those who would like some more information on it:

RonPaulCoin was created with (and is still operating on) difficulty adjustments every 720 blocks, which (when hash-rate is consistent) is about 24 hours (about 2 minutes to solve each block). Currently the block time is about 45 minutes per block due to the insanely high hashrate left over from multipool-style miners.

Things will start to change very quickly once we hit block #13650, but in a smooth way. The difficulty will begin walking down in steps of 11% drops. But it will also happen every 48 blocks from that point forward, instead of humungous waits of 720 blocks.

The current difficulty is about 78.

At block #13650 the difficulty will drop to about 69 or 70 (which is an 11% drop). Then 48 blocks later, it will drop another 11% (assuming a drop is required), and so on, until a happy medium between hashrate and difficulty is met.

As you can see, the difficulty will become corrected in a faster and faster fashion, until we are back at 2 minute blocks where we should be.

After that point (once everything is corrected), the difficulty of RonPaulCoin will no longer be thrown off by multi-poolers for 2 reasons:

1.) The difficulty will only allow for a 11% increase even if the hashrate spikes. It will also only allow for a 11% maximum drop.
2.) RonPaulCoin will be checking the network hashrate and making adjustments every 1.6 hours instead of every 24 hours, allowing for much faster adjustments.

I hope this offers some clarification of what is to come
January 19, 2014, 03:15:52 PM
We need to code the fork for an earlier block like what Globalcoin is doing.  Not enough people are willing to hash for free.  And for those that are, it's not really fair to make them pay for electricity out of their pocket until the fork comes.

A fact of life is that you cannot hard fork before a majority (hopefully a crushing majority) of people have updated to the new protocol.   If you go off earlier your fix winds up on the losing side of the fork, or you have people on the other side of the fork hanging on for weeks, with the confusion and anger and community-dividing chaos that can cause.  Switching even a few hours too soon is always more painful than switching a few days later than necessary.

Precisely. We'll get there. And we really appreciate the dedicated miners who are getting us there. It's honestly not that far off. A week or so, maybe even less.
legendary
January 19, 2014, 02:50:58 PM
We need to code the fork for an earlier block like what Globalcoin is doing.  Not enough people are willing to hash for free.  And for those that are, it's not really fair to make them pay for electricity out of their pocket until the fork comes.

A fact of life is that you cannot hard fork before a majority (hopefully a crushing majority) of people have updated to the new protocol.   If you go off earlier your fix winds up on the losing side of the fork, or you have people on the other side of the fork hanging on for weeks, with the confusion and anger and community-dividing chaos that can cause.  Switching even a few hours too soon is always more painful than switching a few days later than necessary.

Activity: 27
January 19, 2014, 02:34:51 PM
Eventually we will get through it. With the current hashrate, assuming it is not dropping, it will take another 10 days or so.
Activity: 2
January 19, 2014, 02:26:12 PM
We need to code the fork for an earlier block like what Globalcoin is doing.  Not enough people are willing to hash for free.  And for those that are, it's not really fair to make them pay for electricity out of their pocket until the fork comes.
https://i.imgflip.com/3oyi.jpg
legendary
January 19, 2014, 02:05:25 PM
Just for the record, I only see 30% adoption rate on my getpeerinfo.  So more time is definitely needed.

I know it feels like it is going to take forever to get to the current hard fork block, but sadly the hash rate is dropping due to very profitable meme coins. 

I do not think it is a good idea to change this now. 
Pages:
Jump to: