Pages:
Author

Topic: ETH GPUs miners beware! - page 2. (Read 20730 times)

Activity: 94
Merit: 5
March 26, 2018, 08:58:23 PM
Yup its over Johnny..... but its not only just bitmain its 3 other companys.

"During our travels through Asia last week, we con confirm that Bitmain has already developed an ASIC for mining Ethereum, and is readying the supply chain for shipments in 2Q18. The initial roll out is expected in 2Q18, but production is expected to be somewhat limited (Bitmain may use these first rigs for proprietary mining within their own infrastructure). Production volumes are expected to ramp significantly beginning in Mya, with more widespread retail availability soon after. While Bitmain is likely to be the largest ASIC vendor (currently 70% to 80% of Bitcoin mining ASICs) and the first to market with this product, we have learned of at least three other companies working on Ethereum ASICs all at various stages of development."

They dont have killer Hash rate,   The real killer is how little power they use.  Angry

Here is the link for the whole article

https://www.barrons.com/articles/amd-nvidia-at-risk-from-wave-of-new-custom-chips-says-susquehanna-1522082860
legendary
Activity: 2226
Merit: 1304
March 26, 2018, 08:46:44 PM
Fuck BITMAIN.

If this is true I'll leave cryptos
Decentralization iss my $%%$
Bitmain are dominating everything, this is not the idea

I'll sell every coin I have, and join the team against cryptos

Let's see if the devs will have balls to do what Bitcoin devs didn't
kjs
Activity: 188
Merit: 105
March 26, 2018, 08:24:13 PM
Fuck BITMAIN.
Activity: 2142
Merit: 353
Xtreme Monster
March 26, 2018, 07:49:57 PM
Its amazing, what made all this crash and instability is asics.
Activity: 392
Merit: 159
Activity: 207
Merit: 112
March 26, 2018, 05:19:28 PM
Deep Learning Accelerating Card SC1
Pre-Batch of Cyber Monday Nov. 8 ~ Nov. 18, each user can buy up to 10 units of SC1. You will get the same amount coupons equalling to the quantity of SC1s purchased successfully at Cyber Monday (each coupon valued 50% of the price of SC1). These coupons can be used to purchase our next generation DL card SC3. SC3 will be equipped with BM1682, and scheduled to ship in 2018 Q2!

$589.00

Weight: 0.613 kg

Quantity:-  
 +
Sold out
While Sophon SC1 features abundant functions supporting multiple application scenarios, due to the large number of design-in customers, we may not have enough resources to provide further technical support for the standard features beyond those we announce. Please purchase with caution. Keep tune, looking forward to the upcoming new features!

*** anyone have any info on the above or have one on order ?

I have a significant QTY of Sophon SC1 TPUs in deployment for our research customers.
It’s worth noting that the device presents itself to the OS as a Xilinx memory controller with 16GB DDR4.
Bitmain has detailed FP16/32 INT functions available to the Metal API with a theoretical max throughout of 2TFLOPS.

If anyone is interested in getting schedule SSH access to a host with an SC-1, please feel free to PM me.
Activity: 602
Merit: 106
February 27, 2018, 07:51:14 PM
How much does everyone think something like this would cost?? Just a rough estimate i guess.

Probably around 2.2k-3.7k usd.
Activity: 47
Merit: 0
February 27, 2018, 06:33:27 PM
How much does everyone think something like this would cost?? Just a rough estimate i guess.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
February 27, 2018, 06:17:10 PM
I hope they make the ASIC and then go bankrupt.

https://coincentral.com/when-will-ethereum-mining-end/

Iffy if they have any plans at all to make a equihash miner.
Probability zero of them going bankrupt anytime soon, they're making money hand over fist on the S9's they CAN get made, not to mention the L3+ and other lower-volume models.
Activity: 560
Merit: 253
February 26, 2018, 04:37:57 PM
I hope they make the ASIC and then go bankrupt.

https://coincentral.com/when-will-ethereum-mining-end/
legendary
February 26, 2018, 04:16:08 PM

This is just variance.

Sometimes spikes like that happen when there is an alt that's more profitable than ETH that stops being profitable and people switch back.

Basically what happened with ETC this week.

It may be just variance.  But I will say it is quite the spike. https://etherscan.io/chart/hashrate

Edit the way that chart looks. It appears to me ASICS came online around August. I remember a couple articles claiming they had ASICS. Everyone then said no no no.  I’m over it. Do your own research folks.  Look at bitcoin difficulty during Gpu era and look at altcoin during gpu era then the subsequent switch to ASICS.  There are legs on the diff chart that are near vertical. Those are massive amounts of hash coming on with one switch.

BR

What happened is that ETH price kept climbing, while AMD cards got way expensive due to lack of supply and a few folks ever started buying Nvidia cards - but the supply of cards did NOT keep up with the price climb so the hashrate KEPT climbing 'till the price drop around mid-Feb - at which point ETH hashrate has almost flattened out other than normal day-to-day "luck" variation and the variations when other "basket of equal profitability" coin or coins have a price jump or drop causing folks and autoswitch software to change coins.

I don't see ANY point of "near vertical" on the chart, especially after expanding it out.

*IF* anyone actually released an ASIC for ETH, it should also work on ETC or any other ethhash/daggerhashimoro algorithm based coin just like the current GPU miners do, just point at an applicable pool.

Activity: 140
Merit: 10
Merit me or don't.
February 26, 2018, 10:15:33 AM
It is worrying. Been trying to work out if they will be able to mine ETC too? I'm expecting the PoS to come very soon after the ASICs saturate the hash rate entirely.
legendary
Activity: 1453
Merit: 1011
Bitcoin Talks Bullshit Walks
February 26, 2018, 08:43:47 AM
Holy $hit the ETH difficulty just spiked like a Mother Fu#ker last night.  For it to spike that much in 12 hours is
definitely not from GPU's   Huh

I'm thinking these are really REAL, and bitmain must be just selling them
to there big Asian customers.   Be prepared everyone for profitability to be gone
from minning in 2018. Cry

This is just variance.

Sometimes spikes like that happen when there is an alt that's more profitable than ETH that stops being profitable and people switch back.

It may be just variance.  But I will say it is quite the spike. https://etherscan.io/chart/hashrate

Edit the way that chart looks. It appears to me ASICS came online around August. I remember a couple articles claiming they had ASICS. Everyone then said no no no.  I’m over it. Do your own research folks.  Look at bitcoin difficulty during Gpu era and look at altcoin during gpu era then the subsequent switch to ASICS.  There are legs on the diff chart that are near vertical. Those are massive amounts of hash coming on with one switch.

BR
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708
CoinPoker.com
February 25, 2018, 04:36:08 PM
Holy $hit the ETH difficulty just spiked like a Mother Fu#ker last night.  For it to spike that much in 12 hours is

to there big Asian customers.   Be prepared everyone for profitability to be gone

This is just variance.

Activity: 2
February 25, 2018, 04:22:07 PM
Seriously spike? what spike. all I see is a steady consistent climb for 3 months. 
The only spike I see is a sudden drop in jan and then its restored back to norm.  now that's a spike. some people need to get a grip of themselves.
Activity: 16
February 25, 2018, 04:03:33 PM
You DO realize that mining luck can "spike" apparent hashrate a lot in a short period?

Do you realize that luck on the network hashrate cannot spike that much in a short period? Did you check this to understand why difficulty rose that much? Just put 1week to see.
https://www.coinwarz.com/network-hashrate-charts/ethereum-network-hashrate-chart
legendary
February 25, 2018, 03:19:06 PM
You DO realize that mining luck can "spike" apparent hashrate a lot in a short period?

Activity: 94
Merit: 5
February 25, 2018, 01:12:02 PM

Activity: 62
February 21, 2018, 06:19:05 PM
Most HBM usage DOES have the RAM on it's own die.
Reference the AMD "Fury" line, and their current "Vega" line.
I'm pretty sure that's also the case for the Titan V and the Tesla "volta generation" on the Nvidia side.

It's still a bus, it's just a very WIDE bus (4096 bit IIRC?).

Sorry, I ment to say HBM is located on the same silicon. The physical connection between HBM and DDR is quite different so it's not meaningful to compare them. It's like comparing a conveyor belt to a truck - both transport goods from one place to another but that's where the similarities end. Designing a wide bus is not difficult if the physical connection distance is short; Playstation 2's GPU had a 2560 bit bus to its' 4 MB EDRAM memory over 15 years ago. On the other hand with DDR the physical connection is distance is much longer so none of the big silicon giants, Intel, AMD or Nvidia have gone for a very wide DDR bus in their consumer products.

To date, HBM used in video cards is NOT on the same silicon, much less in the same package, as the GPU, though that might change when the Bristol Ridge APUs get released.
It does tend to be clustered a lot closer TO the GPU though, than ram on a motherboard.

HBM and GPU die are connected together via silicon interposer so technically it's all one big silicon. The interposer, HBM and GPU die are manufactured separately before they are integrated together so I'll give you that. That doesn't change the point though; it's much easier to route lots of data lanes when they don't need to though PCB, pins and sockets (like is the case with DDR).

legendary
February 21, 2018, 05:05:03 PM
Most HBM usage DOES have the RAM on it's own die.
Reference the AMD "Fury" line, and their current "Vega" line.
I'm pretty sure that's also the case for the Titan V and the Tesla "volta generation" on the Nvidia side.

It's still a bus, it's just a very WIDE bus (4096 bit IIRC?).

Sorry, I ment to say HBM is located on the same silicon. The physical connection between HBM and DDR is quite different so it's not meaningful to compare them. It's like comparing a conveyor belt to a truck - both transport goods from one place to another but that's where the similarities end. Designing a wide bus is not difficult if the physical connection distance is short; Playstation 2's GPU had a 2560 bit bus to its' 4 MB EDRAM memory over 15 years ago. On the other hand with DDR the physical connection is distance is much longer so none of the big silicon giants, Intel, AMD or Nvidia have gone for a very wide DDR bus in their consumer products.

To date, HBM used in video cards is NOT on the same silicon, much less in the same package, as the GPU, though that might change when the Bristol Ridge APUs get released.
It does tend to be clustered a lot closer TO the GPU though, than ram on a motherboard.

Pages:
Jump to: