Pages:
Author

Topic: ETH GPUs miners beware! - page 3. (Read 20730 times)

Activity: 264
Merit: 101
February 21, 2018, 01:18:07 AM
There are rumours that Bitmain has set its sights on ETH and will be releasing an ASIC in Q2 or Q3 of this year!

https://www.cryptoinfomag.com/2018/02/12/eth-asic-arriving-soon/

It seems that ETH mining in new future will be so hard and so our systems will be old. I think it will take more time to come in market and we can be rest until manufactured.
Activity: 62
Merit: 0
February 20, 2018, 08:20:02 PM
Most HBM usage DOES have the RAM on it's own die.
Reference the AMD "Fury" line, and their current "Vega" line.
I'm pretty sure that's also the case for the Titan V and the Tesla "volta generation" on the Nvidia side.

It's still a bus, it's just a very WIDE bus (4096 bit IIRC?).

Sorry, I ment to say HBM is located on the same silicon. The physical connection between HBM and DDR is quite different so it's not meaningful to compare them. It's like comparing a conveyor belt to a truck - both transport goods from one place to another but that's where the similarities end. Designing a wide bus is not difficult if the physical connection distance is short; Playstation 2's GPU had a 2560 bit bus to its' 4 MB EDRAM memory over 15 years ago. On the other hand with DDR the physical connection is distance is much longer so none of the big silicon giants, Intel, AMD or Nvidia have gone for a very wide DDR bus in their consumer products.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
February 20, 2018, 04:41:34 PM
Most HBM usage DOES have the RAM on it's own die.
Reference the AMD "Fury" line, and their current "Vega" line.
I'm pretty sure that's also the case for the Titan V and the Tesla "volta generation" on the Nvidia side.

It's still a bus, it's just a very WIDE bus (4096 bit IIRC?).
Activity: 62
February 19, 2018, 11:07:53 PM

Sure, a 128 bit quad channel bus is effectively a 512 bit bus. AMD and Nvidia have used 512 bit buses in the past, however they both have moved away from those due to high cost and high power consumption. If Bitmain's ASIC really does have a separate 512 bit bus for each core (so 18x 512 bit bus in total), then 200+ MH/s is possible. However, in that case the retail cost and the power consumption will be pretty high. I'm sure they wouldn't release anything that's worse than a comparable GPU rig but most likely it's not going to drive GPU rigs out of the market either.

Not entirely true - HBM and HBM2 are both quite a bit wider.

True but HBM actually doesn't use a memory bus in the traditional sense since the memory is located on the same physical die. It's more like a huge EDRAM. So it's a completely different technology and not really comparable. It's also rather expensive.

But that's not really the point, the point is putting 18 separate 512 bit memory buses on a board is expensive and I wonder if Bitmain has really gone that route and how are they planning to do it cost effectively.
legendary
February 19, 2018, 07:35:05 PM

Sure, a 128 bit quad channel bus is effectively a 512 bit bus. AMD and Nvidia have used 512 bit buses in the past, however they both have moved away from those due to high cost and high power consumption. If Bitmain's ASIC really does have a separate 512 bit bus for each core (so 18x 512 bit bus in total), then 200+ MH/s is possible. However, in that case the retail cost and the power consumption will be pretty high. I'm sure they wouldn't release anything that's worse than a comparable GPU rig but most likely it's not going to drive GPU rigs out of the market either.

Not entirely true - HBM and HBM2 are both quite a bit wider.

legendary
February 19, 2018, 07:32:58 PM
I would like to ask what are the legit sites that I could mine ETH? there are a lot of ETH mining sites and I guess most of them are scam....

I've used ethmine.org pretty much all the time I've mined ETH.
They have 2 sites, one a standard sort of site, the other a "solo mining" type site.

Same folks also run the "flypool" ZEC mining pool site.

Activity: 84
Merit: 16
February 18, 2018, 11:52:33 PM
if that happens that having a eth asic miner. then eth move TO POS...  i think what the sense of having   asic miner..   that is nonsense..  one of the reason why eth move to POS..   to prevent to become centralized the hash rate.   to survive form asicapolypse. Smiley
Activity: 136
February 18, 2018, 10:11:26 PM
Does anyone know when Ethereum be moving to Proof-of-Stake?
Activity: 76
Merit: 10
Geniuses are always branded as crazy
February 18, 2018, 09:37:37 PM
Well at least the Monero team have gone out and said they will make the coin Asic proof with subtle code changes
heh they can do whatever they want if this thing have over 10gb its over, you can mine every coin with it. But ETH is in testnet for POS so few more months and it will move from pow to pos, same thing with ETC so you will have monero which isnt so profitable and Zcash
Activity: 336
Merit: 1
February 18, 2018, 09:13:55 PM
I would like to ask what are the legit sites that I could mine ETH? there are a lot of ETH mining sites and I guess most of them are scam....
Activity: 122
Merit: 1
February 18, 2018, 08:58:02 PM
Well at least the Monero team have gone out and said they will make the coin Asic proof with subtle code changes
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005
February 18, 2018, 06:40:10 PM
Guys,
Member it?
When we had primecoin and we mined tons of it we cpu?
Nice days
Activity: 140
Merit me or don't.
February 18, 2018, 06:34:09 PM
Some say 200mh/s, some say 600mh/s at 1000W. I would be surprised if they released an ETH asic miner that is anything remotely competitive with a 6-8 GPU rig.
Activity: 186
Merit: 4
February 18, 2018, 05:25:34 PM
Nothing exact, or confirmed in Mh/W.  Just specultation and speculation around the speculation.
Business as usual Cheesy
Activity: 58
February 18, 2018, 05:19:14 PM
Say the hash is only 1.5-2x higher, how much more energy efficient does it have to be to be worth the extra trouble? Are there any numbers for that yet?
Activity: 186
Merit: 4
February 18, 2018, 05:09:54 PM
Are you kidding me)
this is still a long time to wait for such giants of the industry nvideo and amd will not stand aside, and if even so I can safely go to sell the kidney in order to buy an asic)

The kidney only? You will have to sell all parts of your body to buy this hehe

It really depends on the demand for the kidney.  If twenty people need it, he'll get more $ out of it than if only one person needed it.

Also depends on how the kidney was used. If said kidney comes from a young male but has been exposed to massive arterial hypertension(and other things) caused by syntethic male hormone, that kidney is worth 1 doge. That kidney is now like an old mining card  Grin

Serious question, how many of you would buy this supposed ethhash asic if it was only 1.5x-2x Mh/W than a gpu rig? I wouldn't, but I don't mine eth nowdays also.

Activity: 364
Merit: 106
ONe Social Network.
February 18, 2018, 04:32:09 PM
This Metroid guy is quite the caricature.

he´s just a salty fuck who´s pissed because he is far to late for the party
Activity: 294
Merit: 16
February 18, 2018, 01:29:10 PM
This Metroid guy is quite the caricature.
Activity: 140
Merit me or don't.
February 18, 2018, 01:19:25 PM
Hoping for a fork. Otherwise we’re forked.
Activity: 37
February 18, 2018, 11:34:43 AM
I found a good steemit article: https://steemit.com/technology/@cloh76/bitmain-to-release-ethereum-asic-miner-the-antminer-f3
Guys im really curious how this thing will come. If they deliver the anounced hashpower I'm all over it. If we check what happened in the past when ASICs hit the ASIC resistant coins, we saw a huge rising difficulty. But also rising prices. Eth is planning to go to PoS so then the miners have to jump on other smaller coins, which will be less efficient.
Pages:
Jump to: