Pages:
Author

Topic: ETH GPUs miners beware! - page 10. (Read 20730 times)

Activity: 126
Merit: 10
90*c is good, right?
February 12, 2018, 07:18:44 PM
Its reportedly using DDR3 memory...

6 cores on each board
32gb on each board
3 boards per machine
of DDR3...

So one machine would be the equivalent of an 18gpu rig, providing that the asic cores are roughly as fast.
Activity: 306
Merit: 2
February 12, 2018, 07:15:27 PM
Algorithms are 10-a-penny so this is a non-issue even if true..
Activity: 169
Merit: 10
Trying to be someone... someday
February 12, 2018, 06:54:59 PM
This is expected isnt it? Isnt this kind of the reason they want to switch from PoW to PoS? There is no such thing as "ASIC resistant algorithm", it just takes longer/expensiver hardware to make an asic to these algos, which does not make it profitable. Yet.

So the term "Asic resistant" is BS?... I always thought those algorithms that declared this were truly Resistant. Huh
Well.... one more "sure thing" I thought I knew just went down the drain  Grin
Activity: 71
Merit: 1
February 12, 2018, 06:50:28 PM
I smell BS - We all know that the amount of RAM is not really important, but more the speed of the RAM which as not been stated at any point.

I agree to you. I have tested a Radeon Pro Duo with 32 GB memory and the result was 48 MHS for ETH. 24 MHS each processor from the GPU. So it didn't matter if it had more memory.
Activity: 65
Merit: 0
February 12, 2018, 06:35:54 PM
I smell BS - We all know that the amount of RAM is not really important, but more the speed of the RAM which as not been stated at any point.
Activity: 71
Merit: 1
February 12, 2018, 05:36:43 PM
What website is this? From what source they have this info? It sounds like bulls**t.
But ETH will switch to POS anyway so if there would be an asic for eth than you wouldn't be able to use it for long.
legendary
Activity: 1453
Merit: 1011
Bitcoin Talks Bullshit Walks
February 12, 2018, 02:06:54 PM
Right now ethash network is fully protected, nobody can have 51% total hashrate, with asics that can be true, right now eth hashrate is totally decentralized, btc hashrate is mostly centralized and that is bad.

ETH also has a very functional and active dev team. If eth ASIC's should materialize, they might just do a fork to change the algorithm a bit, it would be in the interest of the network. Then bitmain will be stuck with a pile of useless hardware that took millions to develop and manufacture, that kind of lesson would serve as the best ASIC deterrent.

A lot of people thought the same with sia. That did not happen. It’s good to keep things decentralized and open market.  There will be a use for these ASICS regardless of Eth ever goes pos.  Which btw hasn’t happened for last cpl years but has been a “threat” for many reasons as I have witnessed. We should let it play out and see where it goes.

BR
Activity: 67
February 12, 2018, 02:04:30 PM
I said this a month ago and trolls as always laughed at me, anyway the end of gpu mining might be into us cause equihash asic prototype has been finalized and are through tests right now. As soon as ethash and equihash are asiced then will not be anything to miners. The end is near trolls, thankgod eth will be going pos, so bitmain and other gpu killers will shoot themselves.

some neoscrypt coins are not so bad for now
Activity: 70
February 12, 2018, 01:57:12 PM
Right now ethash network is fully protected, nobody can have 51% total hashrate, with asics that can be true, right now eth hashrate is totally decentralized, btc hashrate is mostly centralized and that is bad.

ETH also has a very functional and active dev team. If eth ASIC's should materialize, they might just do a fork to change the algorithm a bit, it would be in the interest of the network. Then bitmain will be stuck with a pile of useless hardware that took millions to develop and manufacture, that kind of lesson would serve as the best ASIC deterrent.
Activity: 966
Merit: 275
February 12, 2018, 01:50:04 PM
oh .. what will happen with my GPUs, maybe the GPUs will be idle or be the toy that is on the wall and the sellers will be a bit disappointed because they have stock his gpu in large quantity also they will be short of profits and gamers a little happy because the price of GPUs will be normal again. But good is the rumours. we'll see what happens if Bitmain releases.

Why panic in the first place. Ethereum is not the only coin. There are lots of profitable coins out there that can be mined through GPU like Monero, Zcash, Bitcoin Gold among others. Also, the Equihash algorithm is more profitable right now than mining Ether as there are no DAG file issues.
Activity: 518
Merit: 250
February 12, 2018, 01:36:17 PM
This is expected isnt it? Isnt this kind of the reason they want to switch from PoW to PoS? There is no such thing as "ASIC resistant algorithm", it just takes longer/expensiver hardware to make an asic to these algos, which does not make it profitable. Yet.
Activity: 2142
Merit: 353
Xtreme Monster
February 12, 2018, 01:23:49 PM
right, I always thought the cost of DDR5 memory was the limiting factor here at least for Eth

Is limiting the factor x profit, from the words of charlie lee himself, "nothing can avoid to asic it if a coin becomes so popular" and you trolls should always remember that. As long as gpu mining a coin is at the beginning then nothing to worry about asics, ethash and equihash are popular, so gameover to gpus.

By the way, this is a good thing, this will stop retailers selling rx 580 for $1000 and the way things are, soon a rx $580 will be $3000 or even $5000 because there is no stopping to stupidity.

As soon as asics hit equihash and ethash then gpus from $1000 will be sold for $100 and then $50. Gamers will have all the gpus they would ever need or wanted hehe
Activity: 1
February 12, 2018, 01:21:53 PM
Thankyou!
Activity: 46
February 12, 2018, 01:19:14 PM
This must not happen.
Activity: 952
Merit: 508
February 12, 2018, 01:18:57 PM
There are rumours that Bitmain has set its sights on ETH and will be releasing an ASIC in Q2 or Q3 of this year!

https://www.cryptoinfomag.com/2018/02/12/eth-asic-arriving-soon/

Have you confirmed that there is no any official press release confirmation from the Bitmain team.
If they comes with this proposal it will good when the time difficulty increases on the mining ethereum. Hope this resolve the mining ethereum with the cards to ASIC machines.
Lets for some months to find this will become true or not.

Well it's on a Chinese Tech News Site today as well - http://technews.cn/2018/02/12/bitmain-tsmc-dram/

Either it's complete BS story or there is some truth to it. Use Google Chrome to Translate.
Activity: 233
Merit: 100
Andrius | Junior Business developer at Unboxed ICO
February 12, 2018, 01:17:13 PM
mah, that's bullshit.
Activity: 4
February 12, 2018, 01:13:05 PM
right, I always thought the cost of DDR5 memory was the limiting factor here at least for Eth
Activity: 63
February 12, 2018, 01:07:17 PM
Bitmain is just guppies in the pond if Samsung brings the guns to the table.
Activity: 266
Merit: 2
February 12, 2018, 01:04:26 PM
Man I want one of those if they exist
Activity: 1008
Merit: 537
February 12, 2018, 01:00:24 PM
There are rumours that Bitmain has set its sights on ETH and will be releasing an ASIC in Q2 or Q3 of this year!

https://www.cryptoinfomag.com/2018/02/12/eth-asic-arriving-soon/

Have you confirmed that there is no any official press release confirmation from the Bitmain team.
If they comes with this proposal it will good when the time difficulty increases on the mining ethereum. Hope this resolve the mining ethereum with the cards to ASIC machines.
Lets for some months to find this will become true or not.
Pages:
Jump to: