Pages:
Author

Topic: First BFL ASIC! - page 11. (Read 58260 times)

Activity: 315
Merit: 255
April 03, 2013, 10:04:41 PM
- Wrong hash rate
- Not physically delivered
- Photographs were taken by a BFL employee

It's not even close to being ambiguous. None of the conditions were met.

Plus, one purpose of bets is to be used as a hedge. For example, I hold a mining stock which is heavily exposed to BFL so I hedge with 'will not ship' bets. What good is a betting website for that purpose if I still suffer the downside (mining stock value still down because they have no BFL products yet) with no upside (betting profit)? Won't be using that site anymore.

Activity: 56
Merit: 0
April 03, 2013, 10:04:07 PM
The real winners are the those early BFL customers somehow flipping vaporware on eBay for $8000

true money for nothing

If you ordered in the first month, you'd have to sell a single for about 25 grand right now to break even on the bitcoin exchange rate difference. The bitcoins used to buy the first $30,000 minirigs would be worth $618,750 right now. The bitcoins spent on that one $120,000 4-minirig order would be worth almost 2.5 million dollars.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
April 03, 2013, 10:00:23 PM
Although... I'd have expected a competent judge to contact me and ask my opinion on whether the device is capable of the 27 Gh/s required, in case my current results were the result of software issues. But it's immaterial, since as best as I can tell so far, I'm getting the most performance out of it that it can handle.

75% of 40 GH/s is 30 GH/s. The device didn't come close to the required speed for the bet. The bet was clearly won.

It was a 30GH unit (Little SC),not the 40 or 60GH unit..............................

LittleSC was not mentioned in the bet or announced when the bet was created.

3 products were mentioned in the yahoo artical libked from the bet.

And wouldn't the bet have been worded that way so that no other product later introduce can meet the requirements in the bet?
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
April 03, 2013, 09:58:15 PM
The real winners are the those early BFL customers somehow flipping vaporware on eBay for $8000

true money for nothing
yxt
legendary
Activity: 3528
Merit: 1116
April 03, 2013, 08:53:26 PM

Error: Username 1CdcYVP4T4hjHwt353pEnGHrigeDLvuvZL not found in database. Please try again later. If this issue persists, please report it to the pool operator.

already blown?  Huh  Grin
Activity: 144
Merit: 100
April 03, 2013, 08:37:57 PM
Collusion?
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
April 03, 2013, 08:18:25 PM
Although... I'd have expected a competent judge to contact me and ask my opinion on whether the device is capable of the 27 Gh/s required, in case my current results were the result of software issues. But it's immaterial, since as best as I can tell so far, I'm getting the most performance out of it that it can handle.

75% of 40 GH/s is 30 GH/s. The device didn't come close to the required speed for the bet. The bet was clearly won.

It was a 30GH unit (Little SC),not the 40 or 60GH unit..............................

Not an option. The terms of the bet clearly specified which products.

http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=701

1)    BitForce SC Jalapeno: a USB powered coffee warmer providing 3.5 GH/s, priced at under $149
2)    BitForce SC Single: a standalone unit providing roughly 40 GH/s, priced at $1,299
3)    BitForce SC Mini Rig: a case & rack mount server providing 1 TH/s, priced at $29,899

There is no "Little Single" included in the bet. The bet was clearly won. BoB called it a draw incorrectly. That is unless they are sending 24 GH/s units to all Jalapeno orders. Smiley
donator
Activity: 980
Merit: 1000
April 03, 2013, 08:14:02 PM
It's a bit like a lottery scam, where you sell tickets, publicly draw numbers, and instead of paying the winner the grand prize, you just refund his ticket.

You mean, declare no winner and refund every ticket.

The problem with the lottery analogy is that there is no "loser" (prize comes from the tickets).

In this case there is a loser and the house could be corrupt and take a bribe from him.

Everyone who doesn't have the winning numbers is a loser.

Small losers who don't have enough incentive to bribe the house.

Unlike the BFL lot  Cheesy
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
April 03, 2013, 08:12:36 PM

btw, what is the lead time on extra wafers when your yield estimate goes to hell?

A while.

Just a couple adjustments.   "they" are NOT "kind of fucked" (as you put it) if they need to double up on the chips.   They have the money.   The people who pre-ordered are kind of effed though.

"A While".   Let's not quibble on exact number of weeks but why not put it in terms every person with a pre-order can understand (maybe). It will be about 1,200 avalons hashing by the time enough new chips come in for them to fulfill whatever they had intended to fill with their first order........[/quote]

Not to worry, I'm sure Josh will still get his order before all those Avalons devalue all the other BFL victim's investors' orders.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1011
Be A Digital Miner
April 03, 2013, 07:58:29 PM

btw, what is the lead time on extra wafers when your yield estimate goes to hell?

A while.
[/quote]

Just a couple adjustments.   "they" are NOT "kind of fucked" (as you put it) if they need to double up on the chips.   They have the money.   The people who pre-ordered are kind of effed though.

"A While".   Let's not quibble on exact number of weeks but why not put it in terms every person with a pre-order can understand (maybe).   It will be about 1,200 avalons hashing by the time enough new chips come in for them to fulfill whatever they had intended to fill with their first order........

Activity: 196
April 03, 2013, 07:51:53 PM
Well, I'm not sure anyone confirmed how many chips were in it either.  If they were running a full 8 chips @ 25GH/s, then it doesn't come close to 75%.

Technically, the number of chips is irrelevant; neither the bet nor BFL's order forms said that customers were ordering a certain number of chips. The units are specified purely by hashrate.

That would sure matter to the pre-order line up though, wouldn't it?

Certainly. They're kind of fucked if they need to double up the chips on every unit.

A while.
April 03, 2013, 07:50:43 PM
It's a bit like a lottery scam, where you sell tickets, publicly draw numbers, and instead of paying the winner the grand prize, you just refund his ticket.

The problem with the lottery analogy is that there is no "loser" (prize comes from the tickets).

In this case there is a loser and the house could be corrupt and take a bribe from him.

Everyone who doesn't have the winning numbers is a loser.
legendary
Be A Digital Miner
April 03, 2013, 07:47:30 PM
Well, I'm not sure anyone confirmed how many chips were in it either.  If they were running a full 8 chips @ 25GH/s, then it doesn't come close to 75%.

Technically, the number of chips is irrelevant; neither the bet nor BFL's order forms said that customers were ordering a certain number of chips. The units are specified purely by hashrate.

That would sure matter to the pre-order line up though, wouldn't it?   btw, what is the lead time on extra wafers when your yield estimate goes to hell?
April 03, 2013, 07:44:53 PM

donator
Activity: 980
Merit: 1000
April 03, 2013, 07:42:32 PM

April 03, 2013, 07:37:10 PM

Activity: 490
Merit: 500
April 03, 2013, 06:59:57 PM
Like I said, I'll probably have them ship it to me when the rest of my order is ready to go as well. I certainly prefer they NOT ship it until at least the next difficulty adjustment Wink

I think the whole discussion is bollocks.

Shipped means shipped to customers. This product is not finished.

Yep, the bet was for shipping, not co-location, even Luke_Jr admits it wasn't shipped now.  Wink
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
April 03, 2013, 06:56:28 PM
Luke:   When do you expect to get the unit?   Wouldn't it be easier if you had it there to tinker with?   Do you have to call them each time you need to cycle something?   I would think they should just ship it to you?
Like I said, I'll probably have them ship it to me when the rest of my order is ready to go as well. I certainly prefer they NOT ship it until at least the next difficulty adjustment Wink
Or you could just wait for the next plateau.  because then the opportunity cost of three days down is not as much.   Any idea when you will have your full order up and running?
I assume BFL will want to charge me for hosting, if I ask them to keep it there once the rest of my order is done. The rest of my order is waiting on the fixed power stuff.
legendary
Be A Digital Miner
April 03, 2013, 06:54:15 PM
Luke:   When do you expect to get the unit?   Wouldn't it be easier if you had it there to tinker with?   Do you have to call them each time you need to cycle something?   I would think they should just ship it to you?

Or you could just wait for the next plateau.  because then the opportunity cost of three days down is not as much.   Any idea when you will have your full order up and running?
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
April 03, 2013, 06:50:38 PM
Pages:
Jump to: