Pages:
Author

Topic: First BFL ASIC! - page 8. (Read 58260 times)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0
April 04, 2013, 09:16:38 PM

Alrighty..I've seen this posted a number of times now. You guys do realize there is a huge difference between being an employee of a company and being contracted by one..right? That just because they compensate you in some form for your work doesn't make you their employee.

Am I the only one employed who understands this?

This. Legally, an employee and a contractor are two very distinct types of relationships. Neither is a subset of another, and should not be mistaken for such.

On that note, Luke's relationship with BFL appears to be closer to the latter.
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001
April 04, 2013, 08:59:20 PM
Actually, it is pretty clear that Luke is an employee of some sort (contractor, etc.).

Alrighty..I've seen this posted a number of times now. You guys do realize there is a huge difference between being an employee of a company and being contracted by one..right? That just because they compensate you in some form for your work doesn't make you their employee.

Am I the only one employed who understands this?
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
April 04, 2013, 08:30:22 PM
If a jury or appellate court ever ends up having to rule on this sort of thing, they might interpret the definition of an employee differently if the case was Luke-JR vs BFL or Commissioner IRS vs BFL instead of Bogart et al. vs betsofbitco.in Since a defition of "employee" is not included in the bet definition, the court might have to decide if the clause should encompass any person who does work for BFL, or only regular full time employees.

More likely though, they would never need to evaluate the employee clause since much simpler tests have already failed
- it was never shipped
- it was not one of the devices specified in the bet
- BFL-Josh, an undisputed employee, made most of the actual post, not Luke-JR
These points are not disputed (except by a few guys claiming that a thing sitting on a test bench in the factory has been shipped, an argument of such frivolity that might actually result in a contempt of court for the lawyer).

The harder questions of
- what time zone actually applied
- what definition of employee does the non-employee clause use, and does Luke-Jr fit this defition?
- does Luke-Jr being an employee or contractor for BFL exclude him from the defition of "customer" as in the specification of the bet
might never need to be put to a jury, since the easy undisputed questions can be ruled on the merits.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
April 04, 2013, 08:20:08 PM
Matt, what does that pic mean?  I am afraid I am not well versed in internet memes and such.

It was intended to suggest that we are about to go down the rabbit hole and see how deep it goes.
Activity: 236
April 04, 2013, 08:19:40 PM
Matt, what does that pic mean?  I am afraid I am not well versed in internet memes and such.

Edit:  Thanks for the explanation.  I actually guessed that could be a rabbit hole.  I figured you meant I was crazy, but I won't ask for clarification on that haha
April 04, 2013, 08:15:24 PM
• It is not clear whether or not Luke-jr is a BFL employee.  He continues to not answer when asked if he is/has received compensation from BFL. [3]  At the least, it looks like he's getting his order bumped to the front of the line.

CROSSPOSTING

Actually, it is pretty clear that Luke is an employee of some sort (contractor, etc.).  Phinnaeus Gage dug up this quote from Luke in the larger thread concerning this scam:

Butterfly Labs, of course, knows this fact because I have been working with them since early 2012 when their FPGA products were first released.

That's a direct quote from Luke-Jr.  It's also clear that he is being compensated by BFL in various ways and that he is helping them to develop the shitty prototype he claims is a finished product.  He refused to answer questions as to the nature of this compensation.

In the same thread, Luke-Jr. also said that he talks to Josh Zerlan every day between midnight and 2:00 AM.  I really don't know why you guys keep trying to engage with Luke as if he is going to correspond with you in good faith.  It's obvious he is one of the co-conspirators of this scam.

Bogart, that is terrible what happened to you.  You have every right to be furious.  They stole a large sum of money from you.  There is no question it was theft, plain and simple.

Activity: 236
April 04, 2013, 08:12:14 PM
• It is not clear whether or not Luke-jr is a BFL employee.  He continues to not answer when asked if he is/has received compensation from BFL. [3]  At the least, it looks like he's getting his order bumped to the front of the line.

CROSS-POSTING

Actually, it is pretty clear that Luke is an employee of some sort (contractor, etc.).  Phinnaeus Gage dug up this quote from Luke in the larger thread concerning this scam:

Butterfly Labs, of course, knows this fact because I have been working with them since early 2012 when their FPGA products were first released.

That's a direct quote from Luke-Jr.  It's also clear that he is being compensated by BFL in various ways and that he is helping them to develop the shitty prototype he claims is a finished product.  He refused to answer questions as to the nature of this compensation.

In the same thread, Luke-Jr. also said that he talks to Josh Zerlan every day between midnight and 2:00 AM.  I really don't know why you guys keep trying to engage with Luke as if he is going to correspond with you in good faith.  It's obvious he is one of the co-conspirators of this scam.

Bogart, that is terrible what happened to you.  You have every right to be furious.  They stole a large sum of money from you.  There is no question it was theft, plain and simple.
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
April 04, 2013, 07:51:58 PM

I like Luke Jr. though.   I think he is being misled, I do not think he is part of the BFL scheme.

Of course he's in on it. They're paying him $250/day.
Activity: 155
April 04, 2013, 07:40:17 PM
Any betting house who questions that BFL has NOT shipped to customers is in my blacklist.

The product is not finished. End of story. With judgement like that I can only assume they are corrupt.
+1
Boycott BoB

Boycott BoB, BFL, and Luke Jr.

I like Luke Jr. though.   I think he is being misled, I do not think he is part of the BFL scheme.
+1
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
Okey Dokey Lokey
April 04, 2013, 07:37:24 PM
Has the bet already been paid to the otherwise losing side?

The bet was delcared a draw. BoB took their cut, and refunded the rest back to both sides.

Wow... they took 5%??? Scammer tag!!

This is exactly what all the rage is about, It was totally crooked to say it was a Draw, when one side should have won.
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
April 04, 2013, 07:35:36 PM

The bet was delcared a draw. BoB took their cut, and refunded the rest back to both sides.

Wow... they took 5%??? Scammer tag!!
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
April 04, 2013, 07:34:37 PM

April 04, 2013, 07:33:02 PM
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
April 04, 2013, 07:25:40 PM
donator
Activity: 980
Merit: 1000
April 04, 2013, 07:01:18 PM
Bogart, I have not put any money in this bet, but I feel for you.

This is total bollocks. If they are not corrupt, at the very least their judgement is extremely questionable.

BTW, Luke seems to agree:

Well this will be interesting.... Lets see if BoB try to Push this one

http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=1352

Butterfly Labs Will Ship Before Mid-April 2013
Butterfly Labs (BFL_Josh) have stated that the first shipment will be dispatched before the last week of March 2013.

To qualify as a 'Agree', a Butterfly Labs customer must acknowledge receipt of an ASIC unit, test it and have it perform within advertised specifications by the 14th April 2013. The post confirming the status has to be on either BitcoinTalk or Butterfly Labs forums with conclusive evidence (video etc)

All Butterfly Labs employees or affiliates are discounted.

1: Although 1 person has 'received' a BFL ASIC (Luke-Jr) he is an affiliate at this point in time (as a developer working on software for the ASICs).

2: "Must perform within advertised specifications"..... well BFL changed the advertised specs today (https://products.butterflylabs.com/ upping the price whilst dropping the specs..... classy!).

3. At the time of the bet opening it was not known that the power consumption was over the limit (another failure for advertised specs).

I will be interested to know if a Push will be declared.
This bet is clearly already lost for the pro-BFL side. There is no way they're meeting advertised specs exactly, and they're current schedule says late April.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1014
FPV Drone Pilot
April 04, 2013, 06:55:43 PM
legendary
Activity: 966
April 04, 2013, 05:58:51 PM
tbd
Activity: 45
Merit: 0
April 04, 2013, 03:14:05 PM
For the record, these Wiki edits were done to back out the changes Luke-Jr made:

(cur | prev) 05:32, 3 April 2013‎ Gmaxwell (Talk | contribs)‎ . . (144,662 bytes) (-1)‎ . . (Luke using one remotely for development is not shipping.)
(cur | prev) 05:31, 3 April 2013‎ Gmaxwell (Talk | contribs)‎ . . (144,663 bytes) (-36)‎ . . ("Any day now" is misleading people, BFL has been "any day now" for a very long time. Besides, an order placed today won't ship until June according to BFL (and I assume thats June in BFL time, which means sometime in 2014))
Activity: 126
April 04, 2013, 03:04:12 PM
Not to get too far afield, but shipping an unfinished product just to get it "finished" / meet a deadline is EXACTLY what happened in SimCity's case, as far as I can tell.

Nope, users couldn't fix it.

They might have used them as alpha testers, but not as coders.

That was bad enough though, I give you that.

But what happened here is more like EA sent the code for bug fixing and said "shipped! haha! for bug fixing"
It does feel a lot more like "shipping a test unit to a vendor" than "shipping a early-release unit to a customer".
donator
Activity: 980
April 04, 2013, 03:01:30 PM
Not to get too far afield, but shipping an unfinished product just to get it "finished" / meet a deadline is EXACTLY what happened in SimCity's case, as far as I can tell.

Nope, users couldn't fix it.

They might have used them as alpha testers, but not as coders.

That was bad enough though, I give you that.

But what happened here is more like EA sent the code for bug fixing and said "shipped! haha! for bug fixing"
Pages:
Jump to: