Pages:
Author

Topic: Fourth alt coin thread last three got oversized. - page 90. (Read 108819 times)

Activity: 672
Merit: 500
Anyone know the wall power draw of a 1060 6gb gtx?

Depends on your power settings really.

I turned my EVGA 6GB SSC model down to make it really efficient and at 60% power it was only 90W and still doing ~310 sol/s Smiley

I might get one of each then an run some test
Each being 1060 1070 1080
Activity: 146
Merit: 100
@fullzero is probably right and POS is not a good scheme (most likely), but I would like someone try and see what happens just for a sake that all possibilities are investigated.
You will still need a good computer and reliable connection to participate, so computing is involved, it is not exactly a bank account.

Regarding numbers, I think that they aim at 1-2% yearly coin addition (eth). This comes from not every coin participating in POS. If such thing happens soon, ethereum would actually have lower current inflation rate in comparison with bitcoin. Participating coins would be paid something around 5%, more or less. Theoretically, you can POS-mine with CPU and POW mine with GPU, so why not?

Finally, Ethereum founders ALWAYS maintained that ethereum would eventually go POS, so miners should have been prepared for a transition.

Waves is using POS and LPOS right now (Leased Proof of Stake). Community is torn between "Hey i'm making money by doing nothing but leaving my coins in my wallet" and "Wow, the rewards for leasing are really shitty. Fees generated are low and we need more transactions." So far the general consensus is that it is a good thing, and over time with more adoption, POS will net a lower return than POW mining but will promote accumulation of coins. If people are hording coins to get better rewards from POS than that creates a bearish market place.

If Eth goes to POS, miners will be pissed and accumulators will be happy. The bad part is that probably 75% of all transactions done in Eth are due to mining and redistributing mining rewards anyway. So if going to POS means less transactions, then less rewards for staking. Am I correct on this?
Activity: 349
Merit: 250

Depends on your power settings really.

I turned my EVGA 6GB SSC model down to make it really efficient and at 60% power it was only 90W and still doing ~310 sol/s Smiley
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
Activity: 308
Quote from: Biodom
Finally, Ethereum founders ALWAYS maintained that ethereum would eventually go POS, so miners should have been prepared for a transition.
[/quote

Red herring to discourage ASIC development maybe?
Or just a red herring?
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
@fullzero is probably right and POS is not a good scheme (most likely), but I would like someone try and see what happens just for a sake that all possibilities are investigated.
You will still need a good computer and reliable connection to participate, so computing is involved, it is not exactly a bank account.

Regarding numbers, I think that they aim at 1-2% yearly coin addition (eth). This comes from not every coin participating in POS. If such thing happens soon, ethereum would actually have lower current inflation rate in comparison with bitcoin. Participating coins would be paid something around 5%, more or less. Theoretically, you can POS-mine with CPU and POW mine with GPU, so why not?

legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009
Quote from: fullzero
The existence of ETC is a major reason why ETH really can't go POS; not that I think it was likely in the first place.
This two statements are intriguing, especially connection between ETH not being able to go POS because of ETC staying POW.
Could you elaborate?

ETH going POS would be like Coke deciding they will no longer produce Coca-Cola Classic, but will only sell Coke zero.  The result would be that almost all Coke consumers would start drinking Pepsi or another cola.

Pure POS is a joke; at worst it is trusting a single entity, and at best trusting it is trusting a small network of entities; like how our banking system currently works.  There have been many 'magical' systems that employ complex graph theory and claim to have solved the two generals problem without needing POW.  All of these simply push the problems of POS to the edge of the system, and then claim they don't exist: knowing most people will never bother to learn; let alone understand, the underlying theory.

Fairy tales aside; POS only works when you have a centralized or hierarchical authority structure.  In the end sharding will be revealed to be dependent on a hierarchical authority structure hidden in the periphery of the system.  

ETH going POS would essentially be fully converting ETH into a digital bank token; a digital currency essentially no different from digital dollars.  At that point it would be a contract system upheld at the behest of the hierarchical authority structure: but this is what we have now, why do we need ETH for it?

A Cryptocurrency must have no centralized or hierarchical authority structure.  Its transactions must be immutable.  

If ETH was what it purports to be; it would be ETC.  ETH cannot return transaction immutability without validating ETC.  The only path for ETH is to continue to promise grand visions of a magical POS forever; hardforking to avoid the problem at hand whenever needed.

I seem to be getting no where with this question.

Does anyone know if you can do 7 GPU's with Nvidia in a single mining rig? -- I can find someone with 6 but can't find anything about someone having 7.

It is easier to get 7+ gpu rigs working with lower ram cards.  Getting 7x 8gb or even 7x 6gb cards on one system is not the same as getting 7x 4gb.  Later today I'll see if I can get 7x 1050ti (4gb) to work.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----

Does anyone know if you can do 7 GPU's with Nvidia in a single mining rig? -- I can find someone with 6 but can't find anything about someone having 7.

I had an opportunity to visit one of my customers deep learning labs during a few years ago.
They have a NVIDIA based tesla-k80 rig with 8 x k80 GPUs running Windows (looks like Win Enterprise)
Although this rig was for running parallel applications... it sure is an intriguing mining rig.
legendary

I have not seen seven but this thread  :

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ewbfs-cuda-zcash-miner-1707546

may hold the answer.
Activity: 952
Merit: 508

Activity: 308
Quote from: fullzero
The existence of ETC is a major reason why ETH really can't go POS; not that I think it was likely in the first place.

This two statements are intriguing, especially connection between ETH not being able to go POS because of ETC staying POW.
Could you elaborate?
legendary
You have a good point, im just weary of zec for future profits in mining when eth switches to pos, every eth miner will start mining zec prob, then imagine zecs difficulty then come november, zec could rise in price cause of that difficulty, but thats no guarantee, at least proportionally  plus amd vegas coming out within two months, 2.5-4x the efficiency who knows what those cards will do to gpu coin difficulty, specs for hashing unknown yet.

In the extremely unlikely case that ETH goes POS; there are lots of other Ethash coins to mine: primarily ETC.  

No one would likely switch to ZEC with amd rigs; they would follow whattomine directing them to ETC or EXP ect.

lots of good points.

I onlt see them going to pos if an asic is built to mine them.

and they may simple increase their dag file to a large enough size to prevent that asic from mining them.

This is a good reason to buy 8gb amd or 8,9 11gb  nvidia cards

with the 4gb limitation -- how many more years does ETC has assuming that they will remain POW...

assuming they don't need to 2x the dag to foil asics
assuming they don't  crash in price
assuming growth goes onwards and upwards some time in 2018

if growth and price increase more then expected maybe late 2017?
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
You have a good point, im just weary of zec for future profits in mining when eth switches to pos, every eth miner will start mining zec prob, then imagine zecs difficulty then come november, zec could rise in price cause of that difficulty, but thats no guarantee, at least proportionally  plus amd vegas coming out within two months, 2.5-4x the efficiency who knows what those cards will do to gpu coin difficulty, specs for hashing unknown yet.

In the extremely unlikely case that ETH goes POS; there are lots of other Ethash coins to mine: primarily ETC. 

No one would likely switch to ZEC with amd rigs; they would follow whattomine directing them to ETC or EXP ect.

lots of good points.

and they may simple increase their dag file to a large enough size to prevent that asic from mining them.

This is a good reason to buy 8gb amd or 8,9 11gb  nvidia cards

with the 4gb limitation -- how many more years does ETC has assuming that they will remain POW...
legendary
You have a good point, im just weary of zec for future profits in mining when eth switches to pos, every eth miner will start mining zec prob, then imagine zecs difficulty then come november, zec could rise in price cause of that difficulty, but thats no guarantee, at least proportionally  plus amd vegas coming out within two months, 2.5-4x the efficiency who knows what those cards will do to gpu coin difficulty, specs for hashing unknown yet.

lots of good points.

This is a good reason to buy 8gb amd or 8,9 11gb  nvidia cards
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009

Activity: 489
Merit: 253
Activity: 1414
Merit: 487
YouTube.com/VoskCoin
philipma1957 Thanks for the input, switched out the CPU and RAM after some looking around.  Guessing the RAM wont get hot or anything so no need for the heat spreaders on the RAM?  SSD was not much more and for some extra storage in case I need to download a block chain or two. 

Now for the real hard hitting question what should I be looking at GPU wise for ROI and pure profit over the next few months to year or so Nivida 1060/1070/1080 or ti variants or AMD RX 470/480 or 570/580?  Also with those what cryptocurrencies would those GPU be best for?

hardest question is what cards to use.

I have not tried any rx 570's or 580's

why  I went through stages with my cards

first all rx 470's mostly all 4gb
ungraded to rx 480's all 6gb
now doing all nvidia 1080 ti's

my setup at the moment is

8 rx 480 8gb
2 nvidia 1070 8gb
1 nvidia 1080 8gb
7 nvidia  1080 ti 11gb.

about 8000h for zec
Why do you pursue zec over eth?
legendary
philipma1957 Thanks for the input, switched out the CPU and RAM after some looking around.  Guessing the RAM wont get hot or anything so no need for the heat spreaders on the RAM?  SSD was not much more and for some extra storage in case I need to download a block chain or two. 

Now for the real hard hitting question what should I be looking at GPU wise for ROI and pure profit over the next few months to year or so Nivida 1060/1070/1080 or ti variants or AMD RX 470/480 or 570/580?  Also with those what cryptocurrencies would those GPU be best for?

hardest question is what cards to use.

I have not tried any rx 570's or 580's

why  I went through stages with my cards

first all rx 470's mostly all 4gb
ungraded to rx 480's all 6gb
now doing all nvidia 1080 ti's

my setup at the moment is

8 rx 480 8gb
2 nvidia 1070 8gb
1 nvidia 1080 8gb
7 nvidia  1080 ti 11gb.

about 8000h for zec
Activity: 4
Merit: 0

Pages:
Jump to: