Pages:
Author

Topic: GekkoScience Terminus R606 750GH (up to 1TH) quiet miner, now shipping - page 24. (Read 11704 times)

Activity: 2478
Merit: 621
I don't know yet when we'll open international sales, but apparently there's quite a waiting list. If we get all the first "batch" out and don't see a lot of trouble off the bat, we can open everything up. I just want to make sure there aren't issues with shipping, setup and overall reliability first, and by limiting sales to physically and politically contiguous locations with predominantly English speakers, it's much easier to handle exceptions.

Probably sometime in May.

Totally understand the reasoning behind the limited first run. Also May isnt too long to wait either, I was expecting more July time (knowing how busy you guys are).

Cheers for letting me know  Grin
legendary
Activity: 3304
Merit: 1842
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
There are currently five R606 prototypes in the wild, so any of those guys could do a review. Most of them are already talking in this thread. When I ship gear to people it's because I want their honest opinions, not their noses in my butt. If it's got problems I want to know early so I can fix 'em.

I am looking forward to what Phil has to say. He's pretty thorough. If I had more prototypes to send out, or more time to do it, I probably would have given him one already.

I don't know yet when we'll open international sales, but apparently there's quite a waiting list. If we get all the first "batch" out and don't see a lot of trouble off the bat, we can open everything up. I just want to make sure there aren't issues with shipping, setup and overall reliability first, and by limiting sales to physically and politically contiguous locations with predominantly English speakers, it's much easier to handle exceptions.

Probably sometime in May.
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'
I paid for one and I am waiting for it to arrive.  So it would be independent
 review.

I will run it along with 2 Apollo miners.

I have a 650 watt plat psu to run these three units.  All three will solo mine.

I made a fancy little setup so they will look nice.
Activity: 1022
Merit: 221
We are not retail.
The unit is in an area with ambient reaching 90F mid day, at least this week with weather. More of a precaution than necessity. I would consider us independent as we cater to our buyers not companies but understand we're not viewed as such. Then we've never done tare downs or "official reviews". Honestly GS is the only company with balls enough to ship demo's without "expectations" of content.
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1561
CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang
So who will be doing the first independent review of this? Complete with noise measurements, power use, and full disassembly? Is Gekko planning even faster models? Have the newer BM chips been conquered as well?

Congratulations on a successful product release!
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Oh I forgot to mention one thing with rockmoney's mining that was worth verifying: they do indeed mine AB shares.

For the block version of those 915 accepted shares mined, 247 had a standard block version number (20000000) and the other 668 had extra bits in the block version.
Activity: 2478
Merit: 621
Ok, so after reading all that about how damn good it is (which is obvious as its Gekkoscience gear), when can us guys "over the pond" get hold on one?  Grin

Just a rough time frame, i'm not asking for specific dates. Just need to know how long to keep dancing around like an over excited child saying "I want one"  Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
The R606 IS "that", and a whole lot more! I've been averaging ~1Th/s for well over a week now, and the power usage is essentially NOTHING!

If that's what you were saying, we couldn't agree more. It seems most people don't realize exactly what this R606 really IS!

Just my opinion anyway..

More or less yes that is what I am saying.

-Dave
Activity: 439
Merit: 297
www.amazon.com/shops/MinersSupply
Your words.

horrendous cooling designs we've been convinced to call "normal" now

WE ALL have gotten used to the crap that has been coming out and keep assuming it's all crap, even though we know you build the good stuff.

Going back to the old times of 4 1/2 years ago I shipped you an BTC Garden AM-V1 and a bitburner.
Slow and useless by today's standards. But big open designs with big QUIET fans. And heatsinks the size of a car.

I actually was still running a bigger BTC garden as a space heater till I got an R4 a while back.
You could have it 4 feet away and never know it was on.

I know I made a similar comment in another thread, but build something like that and you will sell every one you make.

-Dave

The R606 IS "that", and a whole lot more! I've been averaging ~1Th/s for well over a week now, and the power usage is essentially NOTHING!

If that's what you were saying, we couldn't agree more. It seems most people don't realize exactly what this R606 really IS!

Just my opinion anyway.
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
Second fan? Why does everyone think these things need a second fan? Just because the friggin' S9 has two fans to clear 1.5KW from a case the size of an adult shoe doesn't mean everything needs two fans.

Seriously. The highest heatsink temperature I've yet marked was about 60C on full blast with the provided fan. Two fans is only really necessary when you need high pressure and this guy's heatsinks are nowhere near as constrictive as the ones used in the horrendous cooling designs we've been convinced to call "normal" now.

Looks like the lag right now is power bricks, so I may go ahead and ship pods so non-kit orders can be filled and then send bricks behind them as soon as they're arrived. Tired of waiting.

Your words.

horrendous cooling designs we've been convinced to call "normal" now

WE ALL have gotten used to the crap that has been coming out and keep assuming it's all crap, even though we know you build the good stuff.

Going back to the old times of 4 1/2 years ago I shipped you an BTC Garden AM-V1 and a bitburner.
Slow and useless by today's standards. But big open designs with big QUIET fans. And heatsinks the size of a car.

I actually was still running a bigger BTC garden as a space heater till I got an R4 a while back.
You could have it 4 feet away and never know it was on.

I know I made a similar comment in another thread, but build something like that and you will sell every one you make.

-Dave
Activity: 178
Merit: 12
Second fan? Why does everyone think these things need a second fan? Just because the friggin' S9 has two fans to clear 1.5KW from a case the size of an adult shoe doesn't mean everything needs two fans.

Seriously. The highest heatsink temperature I've yet marked was about 60C on full blast with the provided fan. Two fans is only really necessary when you need high pressure and this guy's heatsinks are nowhere near as constrictive as the ones used in the horrendous cooling designs we've been convinced to call "normal" now.

Looks like the lag right now is power bricks, so I may go ahead and ship pods so non-kit orders can be filled and then send bricks behind them as soon as they're arrived. Tired of waiting.

You can send me a unit without power supply or usb cable have plenty.
legendary

copper member
Activity: 190
Merit: 111
https://www.419mining.com
I should probably start another thread to discuss it, but since you are much deeper into this stuff then I am, when it comes to power supply efficiency at lower power (applications like this) does efficiency really matter? There are certain losses that are always going to exist in going from 110/220 AC to 12V DC. At the lower wattage can you even really get to 90%+? If I get a dozen pods then yes going for a "platinum" PS will matter. But is there a real difference running 1 plus the RPi?

As I said probably a good discussion for a separate thread but it's just been hanging out in the back of my brain for a while.

Thanks,
Dave

The efficiency definitely is negligible for power loss when you running a single unit on a power brick but the secondary affect of a high efficiency is less heat. We chose these power bricks because after tested a dozen or so, all the "cheap" units were so hot I would not trust it to run continuously unattended. If your getting into higher unit counts, the GekkoScience DPS1200 PSU kit is a really good option and is built on a HP 1200watt 94% efficient PSU.
We are not retail.
In the old days when you did a pre-order you worried that you may not get it.
With sidehack & you I know I am getting it, now just the anticipation is killing me.

How is the power draw in the real world? Sound level?

Thanks,
Dave

Sound is negligible, quiet as hell and I even mounted a second fan on the back.

Best thing about this pre-order is we're not waiting on the miners, just the accessories. The PCBs are already built, the heatsinks are drilled out, the fans are here. Right now the only thing keeping me from shipping out miners on Monday is waiting for USB cables (broker sent the wrong ones last week), power bricks and the sweet logo decals (which are coming from a print shop across the street).

As for noise, it's pretty quiet. 80mm 160mA 12V case fan. I don't have a decibel reading but it's quite nonintrusive from more than a couple feet away.

Real-world power draw is going to depend on your power supply efficiency. I believe the bricks we have coming in are rated for 87% or so; 419mining is the go-between there so he can tell you the specs better. I spent about 10 hours the other day getting efficiency data from several units so once I finish charting the last ones I can put up some good info for different frequencies at different voltage settings, with margins for deviation and the like. But in general you're looking at a machine-level range from about 75 to 100W/TH depending on volt setting (and other factors like board temperature).

Looks like the delay is on us, we had mini cables ordered for GS not micro by mistake. Don't worry those responsible have been appropriately flogged.

We have a extra treat for our pre-order'ers and their patience in the works, as well have a little something for everyone who have pre ordered a r606 unit from GS, 419 and minersupply to make up for it. Just make sure you've ordered by April 24th from us or any of them.
Activity: 439
Merit: 297
www.amazon.com/shops/MinersSupply
user rockmoney who sells these, has been mining/testing one of these on and off on my pool over the past week,

Here's a test run today:

Continuous mining for a single mining clientid on the pool - stats today for 4 hours ...
From 2019-04-19 22:00:00 -> 2019-0420 01:59:59 UTC (4 hours)
Shares submitted - 915 accepted shares
Total Diff accepted - 3232896.0

So to convert that to a hash rate: Diff * 2^32 / 4 hrs
3232896.0 * 2^32 / (4 * 3600) = 964.25 GH/s

I'll await his post of the settings he used.

Thanks for collecting this data kano! Here is my cgminer screen.

(R606 Pod Miner Seen on Cgminer - click on image to enlarge)

legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
Best thing about this pre-order is we're not waiting on the miners, just the accessories. The PCBs are already built, the heatsinks are drilled out, the fans are here. Right now the only thing keeping me from shipping out miners on Monday is waiting for USB cables (broker sent the wrong ones last week), power bricks and the sweet logo decals (which are coming from a print shop across the street).

As for noise, it's pretty quiet. 80mm 160mA 12V case fan. I don't have a decibel reading but it's quite nonintrusive from more than a couple feet away.

Real-world power draw is going to depend on your power supply efficiency. I believe the bricks we have coming in are rated for 87% or so; 419mining is the go-between there so he can tell you the specs better. I spent about 10 hours the other day getting efficiency data from several units so once I finish charting the last ones I can put up some good info for different frequencies at different voltage settings, with margins for deviation and the like. But in general you're looking at a machine-level range from about 75 to 100W/TH depending on volt setting (and other factors like board temperature).

I should probably start another thread to discuss it, but since you are much deeper into this stuff then I am, when it comes to power supply efficiency at lower power (applications like this) does efficiency really matter? There are certain losses that are always going to exist in going from 110/220 AC to 12V DC. At the lower wattage can you even really get to 90%+? If I get a dozen pods then yes going for a "platinum" PS will matter. But is there a real difference running 1 plus the RPi?

As I said probably a good discussion for a separate thread but it's just been hanging out in the back of my brain for a while.

Thanks,
Dave
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
user rockmoney who sells these, has been mining/testing one of these on and off on my pool over the past week,

Here's a test run today:

Continuous mining for a single mining clientid on the pool - stats today for 4 hours ...
From 2019-04-19 22:00:00 -> 2019-0420 01:59:59 UTC (4 hours)
Shares submitted - 915 accepted shares
Total Diff accepted - 3232896.0

So to convert that to a hash rate: Diff * 2^32 / 4 hrs
3232896.0 * 2^32 / (4 * 3600) = 964.25 GH/s

I'll await his post of the settings he used.
legendary

legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
In the old days when you did a pre-order you worried that you may not get it.
With sidehack & you I know I am getting it, now just the anticipation is killing me.

How is the power draw in the real world? Sound level?

Thanks,
Dave
We are not retail.
Screen shot with 800 freq and setting 2. Still climbing.

Pages:
Jump to: