Pages:
Author

Topic: Ελλάς (Greece) - page 13. (Read 38037 times)

Activity: 640
Merit: 500
Vanity of vanities; all is vanity...
December 12, 2012, 07:38:30 PM
Or invest in a mining company. :-)
They can buy hardware and mine for you. Preferably don't invest in mining bonds though.
Although with GLBSE down it must be somewhat harder. You can either go for something automated like Pyramining (yay I finally used my referral somewhere!) if you trust them or hand in hand transaction with one of the past GLBSE issuers. (check out BTC-MINING, it seemed like a good case)
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
December 11, 2012, 03:13:15 AM
@klee

setup some mining rigs to support bitcoin !
legendary
Activity: 1498
December 04, 2012, 05:13:34 AM
Hi everyone!

I was born and live in Greece for all my life. I love bitcoin, biotechnology (still try to find a way to marry these two) and science/technology in general.

I work as a developer for a telecom company.

Nice to meet u all here. Let's make bitcoin as known/strong as possible in our country..
Activity: 702
Merit: 503
December 02, 2012, 07:08:13 PM
Well, in any case, it sounds like you are not in danger of Ven, and you already have TEM, which seems more useful in Greece.

Plus, we are already too busy with Bitcoin, its clones, the upcoming RippleCoin, Pecunix, eDinar, SLL, and whatever else is being designed. We don't want to overdose on virtual currencies.  Cheesy
Activity: 250
Merit: 250
December 02, 2012, 02:50:00 PM
It's the first time I hear about VEN. I haven't heard/read anything about it in the media nor on the internet (Greek news portals, blogs etc). I very much doubt that VEN is being used in any way in Greece. TBH, I don't think that our politicians even know what a virtual currency is since a lot of them are computer (and internet) illiterate.
December 02, 2012, 01:25:48 PM
Upd: I see: it's one way only. Once you buy Ven, you can't get fiat with it again.  Cheesy

(BTW Wikipedia says that "It trades against other major currencies at floating exchange rates.". So I guess you can sell it back for fiat currencies.)

Which probably means that its one way only on Hub Culture (the social network that issues Ven) they "print" new Vens in exchange for fiat money. If that's true, even Diablo3 gold is a better currency than this since you find it by actually doing something (killing stuff in a game) and Blizzard doesn't just "print" Diablo3 gold because someone is paying them a price.

Although I don't really get what this means:
Ven is the only virtual currency available in the financial markets. It is implemented via a partnership with Thomson Reuters and enables pricing on more than 500,000 Reuters terminals worldwide. The currency uses a ‘basket’ pricing structure based on a mixture of global currencies, commodities and carbon futures.

So they print it whenever someone pays up to them to buy Ven but the price they ask is based on a combination of prices of multiple currencies etc?
December 01, 2012, 10:46:00 AM
Not that out government is sane in any way but why would they trust the virtual currency of a social network based in Hong Kong?
I wonder if it's even true that the Greek government is using it. If you've never heard of it, then it's probably not often mentioned in the Greek media...

Who in the Greek government would be the one to ask if it's true that they use Ven?

It's peculiar that the virtual currency Ven only seems to trade against fiat currencies, and we don't have any xchanges to it in the B world, nor have i seen it at any of the non-bitcoin virtual currency exchanges ...  Huh

Upd: I see: it's one way only. Once you buy Ven, you can't get fiat with it again.  Cheesy
December 01, 2012, 09:55:42 AM
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ven_(currency)
Ven is a global virtual currency used by members of a social network service, Hub Culture, to buy, share and trade knowledge, goods and services. It is the first virtual currency to be used in the financial markets and the first used in commodity and carbon credit trading. Ven can be spent at Hub Culture Pavilions or used for micropayments on the Internet at large.[1] The value of Ven is determined on the financial markets from a basket of currencies, commodities and carbon futures. It trades against other major currencies at floating exchange rates.

Not that out government is sane in any way but why would they trust the virtual currency of a social network based in Hong Kong?

EDIT: I thought you meant VC = Ven. Sorry. Disregard my message.
November 30, 2012, 09:24:23 PM
The fact that virtual currencies are beginning to affect financial markets and are being used by the Greek government to trade, shows their importance.
Which virtual currency do they use exactly? Ven? (BTW I've never heard about Ven before)
Yes, that was my question for you guys: if anyone in the .gr space mentioned the Greek gov and VC's before. I had heard of Ven before, but not in conjunction with anything Greek.

The closest thing to VC in Greece, as far as i know was TEM.  Smiley
November 28, 2012, 03:37:54 PM
Does anyone have comments regarding the greek references in this article?

The fact that virtual currencies are beginning to affect financial markets and are being used by the Greek government to trade, shows their importance.

Which virtual currency do they use exactly? Ven? (BTW I've never heard about Ven before)
November 28, 2012, 02:53:45 PM
Does anyone have comments regarding the greek references in this article?
November 27, 2012, 10:41:25 AM
Seems that "Grexit" is postponed about a year.  Undecided
November 08, 2012, 02:16:55 PM
which mining pools do you use in greece ?
how much is your power rate there ?

Power is getting more expensive here latelly. Not sure how up to date this is: http://www.ionianeco.gr/thermanse/thermanse/deixreosi.html
So it goes from 0,08436 EUR/KWh to 0,14798.
I'll find a bill and see the exact prices.

I used to use Mt Red just for fun.
legendary
legendary
November 02, 2012, 03:28:12 AM
which mining pools do you use in greece ?
how much is your power rate there ?
November 01, 2012, 10:24:26 PM
it is illegal to use your own money ?
it is illegal to use a paid bank service to transfer your own money with a international transfer protocol (SEPA) ?
it is illegal to transfer amounts lower than 10k € ?

why they offer a paid bank service to their clients if its illegal ?

bullshit !

μας δουλεύουν, ρεεεεεε....

Well it's legal for very specific cases like sending money to a friend or a student abroad. Utter bullshit as you said. All banks I've heard of don't ask about the reason why you send money. ESPECIALLY for amounts like 100 euros... Yet that one does. So if you intend to buy BTC you should think twice before using Κύπρου.
legendary
November 01, 2012, 09:27:36 AM
it is illegal to use your own money ?
it is illegal to use a paid bank service to transfer your own money with a international transfer protocol (SEPA) ?
it is illegal to transfer amounts lower than 10k € ?

why they offer a paid bank service to their clients if its illegal ?

bullshit !

μας δουλεύουν, ρεεεεεε....
October 31, 2012, 09:37:41 PM
So I did a SEPA transfer to Bitstamp using Winbank (Piraeus' ebanking system) costed me 0.5euros. It took about 3 bussiness days (5 days in total because of the weekend) for Bitstamp to deposite the money to my account. I sent about 100 euros which got converted to USD by Bitstamp for free (with quite a good conversion rate; I mean if I let my bank do the conversion instead it would cost me more) and then I paid 0.5% fee to buy bitcoins with an instant order which took about 10 minutes or so. So everything went smooth, if anyone from Greece want to buy bitcoins, bitstamp looks like a nice solution (Mt Gox needs verification and stuff).
I wouldn't mind trying that out. Which bank does bitstamp use and where is it located?

Funny sidenote, Millennium Bank charges 5% for SEPA! I got in contact telling them that other banks have a modest fee of 50 cents and they just replied that it is their policy to charge that. I wonder how those people are still in business... >.<

Also Τράπεζα Κύπρου (Bank of Cyprus) phones you to ask why you send money abroad. And they say it's illegal to send money abroad using bank transfer (like SEPA or the common internation transfer) to buy good or services.
Activity: 250
Merit: 250
October 31, 2012, 02:00:33 PM
So I did a SEPA transfer to Bitstamp using Winbank (Piraeus' ebanking system) costed me 0.5euros. It took about 3 bussiness days (5 days in total because of the weekend) for Bitstamp to deposite the money to my account. I sent about 100 euros which got converted to USD by Bitstamp for free (with quite a good conversion rate; I mean if I let my bank do the conversion instead it would cost me more) and then I paid 0.5% fee to buy bitcoins with an instant order which took about 10 minutes or so. So everything went smooth, if anyone from Greece want to buy bitcoins, bitstamp looks like a nice solution (Mt Gox needs verification and stuff).
I wouldn't mind trying that out. Which bank does bitstamp use and where is it located?

Funny sidenote, Millennium Bank charges 5% for SEPA! I got in contact telling them that other banks have a modest fee of 50 cents and they just replied that it is their policy to charge that. I wonder how those people are still in business... >.<
October 30, 2012, 09:59:35 AM
@imanikin: how do you even email the CEO of a greek bank? :-D Cause anyone under him will probably have never heard of bitcoin. I mean, the clerks haven't heard of SEPA so it would take at least being a CEO to know about Bitcoin. :-P
Agreed. None of those people read their own emails...  Embarrassed

I guess, the place to start might be just to email the Bank of Greece or any other bank with a link to that ECB paper, and ask them for an official position on Bitcoin...  Huh
Pages:
Jump to: