Pages:
Author

Topic: Ελλάς (Greece) - page 16. (Read 38051 times)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0
June 17, 2012, 10:58:22 PM
Subscribing, interested in anything regarding Greece Smiley
Activity: 702
Merit: 503
June 17, 2012, 09:43:31 PM

Seems like the default is postponed...
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001
https://gliph.me/hUF
June 15, 2012, 07:32:18 AM
Some financial tool providers I use advise to cover EUR trades over this weekend as the Greece elections are on. Bitcoin is up and up. Coincidence?
Activity: 183
Merit: 100
June 14, 2012, 11:25:54 AM
No government will ever switch to bitcoin as they want to be able to "print" and otherwise manipulate currency as much as they wish (although formally central banks are usually "independent" from them). They obviously can't do this with bitcoin.
So it is up to vendors, entrepreneurs etc. to make bitcoin widely used.
legendary
Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015
e-ducat.fr
June 05, 2012, 01:37:48 PM
Just in case Greece opts out of the euro and decides to go with bitcoin, Paytunia is now translated in greek for android mobile phones  Grin
I do not live in Greece but one of my cousins does..However if you find any inaccuracies, please let me know.

June 01, 2012, 08:04:07 AM
Bitcoin is just too different from what the vast majority of people are use to and they don't like the idea of such a big change.
Older people also have this kind of "fear" about computer stuff.

...Converting euros to bitcoins sounds like a nice idea and I'm in favor. Especially for Greek people if we are to go back to a domestic currency. ...

But I believe Greece's major problem is not the economy! It's the corrupt politicians who could not care less about their country. All they care about is their personal power and profit.
Thanks for the update! That's perplexing to me and the people with whom i discuss this.

People don't like such a big change everywhere, and old people fear computer stuff everywhere.
Politicians are corrupt and self-serving everywhere i've been, with the only difference being how much the local political climate and system allows them to pocket...

PLUS, Greeks seem to have the most to gain from converting to B, if they exit euro zone. Yet, Greece has yet to appear on Google Trends for Bitcoin, where smaller, less troubled countries, such as Finland, constantly appear.

There seems to be some other Greek idiosyncrasy at work there.
Activity: 250
Merit: 250
May 29, 2012, 01:22:26 PM
imanikin, I have talked to numerous (Greek) people about Bitcoin but most of them were negative to the idea. Not because they think Bitcoin is not safe; I wish the conversation would last that long to reach this part. Bitcoin is just too different from what the vast majority of people are use to and they don't like the idea of such a big change. Older people also have this kind of "fear" about computer stuff.

Converting euros to bitcoins sounds like a nice idea and I'm in favor. Especially for Greek people if we are to go back to a domestic currency. I'm not sure though that people will be able to convert Bitcoins to domestic currency after/if we exit the euro zone. It's rumored that there will be high taxation in international money transfers heading to Greece.

Kaos is right especially about #2. But I believe Greece's major problem is not the economy! It's the corrupt politicians who could not care less about their country. All they care about is their personal power and profit.

By the way, 3phase congrats on the translation of MultiBit Smiley

legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066
March 30, 2012, 06:15:12 AM
3phase's Greek translation is now included in the latest MultiBit release.
Here is a screen shot:

I machine translated some of the wallet names and labels so apologies for any inaccuracies.

You can download it from multibit.org
legendary
March 23, 2012, 11:43:39 AM
@3phase - thanks !

I see on http://translate.multibit.org that you have it over one third done already.
I am hoping to get the next MultiBit release out around mid-week next week so your Greek should go in nicely then.

:-)
Activity: 64
Merit: 10
March 23, 2012, 09:04:26 AM
Not a huge fan of necroposting but there's no point in opening a new thread to discuss this...

To the OP: A default would the best long-term financial move the Greek government could do. I thought about going there for holidays but the exchange between GBP > EUR is a joke which meant that everything was a lot more expensive than it should be. For a country where it has no real heavy industry and they need to depend on two major exports, a) Food, Olive Oil, etc and b) Tourism (yes I count tourism as export since you need to "export" the idea of visiting your country), this is simply suicide.

Had the Greek government decided to default and revert to the Drachma:

1. people who had their money in a Greek Bank would lose crap-loads in the conversion process but had they kept them in either Cash or Gold or some other country (p.s. I've helped a few Greek buddies of mine to open bank accounts here in the UK in either GBP or EUR, which they can as non-resident Europeans) they would be better off!
2. With such a cheap currency and a strategic location between the West and Asia Minor, it would make it a great trade hub and an ideal place for businesses to locate but also it would make it great for exports (can sell mediteranean produce like olive oil at lower rates than Italians/Spanish and their EUR, plus the added benefit of being able to give Brussels the middle finger and set their own prices) and of course expand and reinvigorate the No. 1 industry in Greece... Tourism!!!

But when then again who cares, forgive me for being blunt but the corruption in the Greek "ethos" goes so deep, that they (Government/1%) would screw things up again in another 30-50 years regardless.
Activity: 313
Merit: 251
Third score
March 23, 2012, 09:02:09 AM
We are looking for a Greek translator for MultiBit.

If you are a native Greek speaker or have a Greek friend that would be interested please sign up at:
http://translate.multibit.org

Given the difficult situation in Greece we think we should have a translation of MultiBit for anyone who wants to use bitcoin there.

I just joined in and started. It should be done by Monday/Tuesday. Sooner if anyone else joins in. If not, you'll need at least 1 proofreader.
legendary
March 23, 2012, 07:48:13 AM
We are looking for a Greek translator for MultiBit.

If you are a native Greek speaker or have a Greek friend that would be interested please sign up at:
http://translate.multibit.org

Given the difficult situation in Greece we think we should have a translation of MultiBit for anyone who wants to use bitcoin there.
Third score
March 15, 2012, 01:55:46 AM
greek here ...

The problem is how to persuade your grandma and grandpa to take whatever money they have out of banks these days Tongue

Αν κρίνεις από τα 60 δισ. που έφυγαν από τις τράπεζες τα τελευταία 4 χρόνια, δεν πρέπει να είναι και πολύ δύσκολο Wink. Έτσι κι αλλιώς, τι σχέση έχει αυτό με τα Bitcoins? Πώς θα καταλάβουν ο παππούς και η γιαγιά τι στην ευχή είναι αυτό το πράμα, όταν δεν μπορούν να καταλάβουν τι είναι οι υπολογιστές;
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
getmonero.org
March 14, 2012, 06:54:03 PM
greek here ...

The problem is how to persuade your grandma and grandpa to take whatever money they have out of banks these days Tongue

Third score
March 13, 2012, 04:40:01 AM

3. My backyard is a fiscal paradise, according to your assessment of the behaviour of smart money  Wink

Does your investment in your backyard pay dividends ?

No, but it has appreciated significantly over the past few years  Wink
Third score
March 13, 2012, 04:11:30 AM

Great idea, and, if I may make a further suggestion: get rid of these pesky Euros as quickly
as you can by converting them to bitcoins before either of the two following scenarios happen:

1. The Euro currency, dragged down into a death spiral by Greek irresponsibility looses
         all of its value and crashes down to $.1 USD per Euro.

2. Greek banks freezes all euro assets and force-convert them to drachmas at a rate of
         their choosing before anyone has time to withdraw them in the form of hard euros bills.

Either way, get out of there before it's too late.

BTW, this is not exactly an original idea: the smart money, well aware of the bloodbath this
is all going to end up in, has long left Greece and is now well hidden, safe and sound in fiscal
paradises.

1. EUR will drop to cents of the dollar when Germany decides to leave. Hold on.

2. Most money left in the Greek banks is from pensioners and people that can afford to lose them.

3. My backyard is a fiscal paradise, according to your assessment of the behaviour of smart money  Wink
Third score
March 13, 2012, 04:06:30 AM
Please all Greek people in this forum contact me. We could be as one ...
Let's Make the bitcoin known to everybody in Greece.

I'm Greek, living in Athens. What's your plan?
Activity: 412
Merit: 250
Bitcoin is the Future of currency
March 12, 2012, 05:34:30 PM
Please all Greek people in this forum contact me. We could be as one ...
Let's Make the bitcoin known to everybody in Greece.
Third score
March 03, 2012, 06:05:59 PM

...i thought some people had to have reached "the Acceptance" stage by now: Carena Bar Restaurant , Agia Efimia , Kefalonia, Greece

Has anyone tried this place?
Been there a few years ago, very nice village by the sea. Right now I would need 300 EUR just to get there for a day trip and check out their bitcoin little business. So I can't really tell.
Pages:
Jump to: