Author

Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread - page 275. (Read 597251 times)

Activity: 130
Merit: 100
Yup. I'm pool mining today. Before that I'd just been solo mining but couldn't wait days to see if I was doing it right Cheesy
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
For those mining with an nvidia card, I'm doing about 106 kilo hashes, plus CPU and I've done 9.5 GRC in the last seven hours.
Does that match up to your stats?

I think I'm fully functional now except for my graphing.

I'm assuming that you're doing pool mining? If so, and you just started mining seven hours ago, the pooled mining works like PPLNS where it starts small, increments to your actual proportional share, then tapers off back to 0 after you stop mining. So that should increase throughout the next 24 hours to your proper average, and after you stop mining, it'll continue to pay you for about another 24 hours after you stop, slowly going to 0 each pool pay.
For those mining with an nvidia card, I'm doing about 106 kilo hashes, plus CPU and I've done 9.5 GRC in the last seven hours.
Does that match up to your stats?

I think I'm fully functional now except for my graphing.
Activity: 4
Merit: 0
GBEyGbTWByzMXkNHXQvdkvc27tVion3Pr4

Thanks  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001
Sounds very interesting, can't wait. If you can actually decrease the power consumption of the GPU that will be a huge deal. That is an enormous incentive for miners.

Hi,

The graphing will work if you have boinc in the standard location.  If not follow the instructions for setting the boincappfolder path.

Regarding the theme colors, that's unfortunately down on the bottom of the priority list (was able to get to that since I worked on Thanksgiving!).

PM Aysyr to put it on the todo list.

Regarding site structure, I see we are in desperate need of organization.  I'd suggest Aysyrs forum again, but I think we really need to hit 5 in difficulty first.
In the mean time, I'll look into creating more organized threads.

There is a lot of exciting stuff going on.  I am currently involved in writing a new GPU mining specification that may replace scrypt.  What is exciting, at least to me, is the ability to write a specification that includes a new Sleep algorithm as part of the operation of the hash function, to make Gridcoin the most efficient coin out there period, and possibly others will want to adopt this new algorithm as well.  I can't give away all the details yet, but on the surface it would appear that your GPU card was saving 75% of the energy, but doing all of the same work.  It works by using a new type of receiving wallet address, one that takes 5 hours to generate.  Your GPU is only allowed to cryptographically work during certain timeslices that are bound cryptographically to wallet timeslices, depending on how the algorithm uses the GPUs parallel processing threads.  That's all I can say now, but the bottom line is if we end up adopting this spec, we will be able to bring GPU miners from other coins to Gridcoin and save 75% of the required watts per hour, but still achieve the same mining results.

In light of all that that is my new top priority; so I will be reducing the priority level of the CPU-mining until progress is made on this.  In the mean time, I look forward to tomorrows upgrade as we enforce the new level of security in the chain!

Rob Halford

If I listcpuminers, should I see my GRC address among the pool?
I see 4 users listed but none with my address in the "GRC Address" key.
Ooh a new algorithm? Interest piqued Smiley

I have the app installed in the standard place. Odd that I'm not seeing the graph.

I'm seeing some coins trickle in now though. About .5 anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour apart.
Activity: 364
Merit: 252
Hi,

The graphing will work if you have boinc in the standard location.  If not follow the instructions for setting the boincappfolder path.

Regarding the theme colors, that's unfortunately down on the bottom of the priority list (was able to get to that since I worked on Thanksgiving!).

PM Aysyr to put it on the todo list.

Regarding site structure, I see we are in desperate need of organization.  I'd suggest Aysyrs forum again, but I think we really need to hit 5 in difficulty first.
In the mean time, I'll look into creating more organized threads.

There is a lot of exciting stuff going on.  I am currently involved in writing a new GPU mining specification that may replace scrypt.  What is exciting, at least to me, is the ability to write a specification that includes a new Sleep algorithm as part of the operation of the hash function, to make Gridcoin the most efficient coin out there period, and possibly others will want to adopt this new algorithm as well.  I can't give away all the details yet, but on the surface it would appear that your GPU card was saving 75% of the energy, but doing all of the same work.  It works by using a new type of receiving wallet address, one that takes 5 hours to generate.  Your GPU is only allowed to cryptographically work during certain timeslices that are bound cryptographically to wallet timeslices, depending on how the algorithm uses the GPUs parallel processing threads.  That's all I can say now, but the bottom line is if we end up adopting this spec, we will be able to bring GPU miners from other coins to Gridcoin and save 75% of the required watts per hour, but still achieve the same mining results.

In light of all that that is my new top priority; so I will be reducing the priority level of the CPU-mining until progress is made on this.  In the mean time, I look forward to tomorrows upgrade as we enforce the new level of security in the chain!

Rob Halford

Does the graphing in the mining module work for anyone else? I feel like I'm just on the edge of having it work right Smiley

edit: I've started getting half coins now! Woot Smiley Must have fixed the mining when I restarted cudaminer after the poolmining was activated. (I think it still thought it was solo mining since I'd just restarted the client).
Graph is still inactive though.

Request for option: Theme creation. Just a couple of hex values that people can use to tweak the appearance in the conf. That green and black or green and white really don't work in some places.
legendary
Get a msi twin frozr 7950. It is a great card for mining scrypt. I have a few myself. There is a 3 year warranty on it so you are covered if anything happens to the card.
It gets around 600kh/s and you will mine a nice amount of Gridcoins with it.

If you don't have the cash for a 7950 the next best thing is radeon 5870, it gets around 400kh/s.

Instead of wasting time with this, just run your GPU, much easier and much faster and more profitable.

Hi traderman,

Currently I don't have a GPU. Any recommendations on which one I should get ? I was trying to cpu mine because I have a couple of old laptops which I could put to use with this. Any suggestion on guides to building a GPU mining rig (I am new to this) ? Preferably the best hashes/power ratio.
I happened to look at the litecoin hardware comparison and 7990 sapphire seems good but does it need watercooling ? (sorry I am really new to mining but I am prepared to make the investment).
Also when you say faster and more profitable - any idea how much more profitable it is to GPU mine than only CPU mine ?

I have an ASUS p5G41t-M motherboard and hardly know anything about the hardware requirements .. any pointers would be more than welcome. In fact I would be really thankful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Activity: 481
My question - can I actually buy parallel processing power with gridcoins?  I am thinking of things like raytracing for animation.  Can I submit workunits and pay for the processing with gridcoins?
Hmmm. I must be doing something wrong. I'm set up for the pool. I'm seeing it process, but my has rate in the mining console is 0 and I've seen no progress in collecting coins.

Using cudaminer. Anyone else?

Adding a screenshot of the current output:

Weird. Not working. Image is at http://mootations.info/gallery/gridcoin.png
Instead of wasting time with this, just run your GPU, much easier and much faster and more profitable.

Hi traderman,

Currently I don't have a GPU. Any recommendations on which one I should get ? I was trying to cpu mine because I have a couple of old laptops which I could put to use with this. Any suggestion on guides to building a GPU mining rig (I am new to this) ? Preferably the best hashes/power ratio.
I happened to look at the litecoin hardware comparison and 7990 sapphire seems good but does it need watercooling ? (sorry I am really new to mining but I am prepared to make the investment).
Also when you say faster and more profitable - any idea how much more profitable it is to GPU mine than only CPU mine ?

I have an ASUS p5G41t-M motherboard and hardly know anything about the hardware requirements .. any pointers would be more than welcome. In fact I would be really thankful if someone could point me in the right direction.

legendary

Hi Andrew and Gridcoin,

Just an update. I tried installing the same thing on a fresh install of windows 7. Ultimately it comes down to the log file of guiminer. I think that is the root of the problem. Here is a screen shot of what happens. http://imgur.com/RYQMm4x,MC8wQsf (along with that are the tiny transactions I was referring to).

I have done everything you guys have asked. Almost on the verge of giving up now after trying it multiple times on different machines.

Andrew - if you can tell me the process you followed to get the cpu miner to work then it would be great. You have been of great help thanks a lot again.

Gridcoin - I have given this 3 days now, I don't think I will be able to devote more time (maybe another day to try), in spite of the fact that I would love to be a part of this project (but cant ignore electricity costs too if one does not get mining rewards). Still wish you guys the best. I have provided screenshot of where the problem lies. Hope it can be resolved for the benefit of others trying to join the project.

Update : According to this post https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.747636 guiminer has problems with pyopencl, something that I have previously highlighted here. Hope someone can explain that too.
Hi Andrew and Gridcoin,

Just an update. I tried installing the same thing on a fresh install of windows 7. Ultimately it comes down to the log file of guiminer. I think that is the root of the problem. Here is a screen shot of what happens. http://imgur.com/RYQMm4x,MC8wQsf (along with that are the tiny transactions I was referring to).

I have done everything you guys have asked. Almost on the verge of giving up now after trying it multiple times on different machines.

Andrew - if you can tell me the process you followed to get the cpu miner to work then it would be great. You have been of great help thanks a lot again.

Gridcoin - I have given this 3 days now, I don't think I will be able to devote more time (maybe another day to try), in spite of the fact that I would love to be a part of this project (but cant ignore electricity costs too if one does not get mining rewards). Still wish you guys the best. I have provided screenshot of where the problem lies. Hope it can be resolved for the benefit of others trying to join the project.

Update : According to this post https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.747636 guiminer has problems with pyopencl, something that I have previously highlighted here. Hope someone can explain that too.
legendary
Same here, definitely one of the most innovative and unique concepts with a great development team.

I've been trading crypto currencies for 1.5 years now.  This is the first currency I've been excited enough about to download and sync the client.  Love the Gridcoin concept!

FteJtaUYYs34nz5ueT1pFW83nQo9C4KV25

I'm definitely interested in purchasing a large amount with Bitcoin.

Thanks!
Activity: 56

However, regarding the projects..for CPU mining you need to be registered and have BOINC running at least one of the projects that are listed in "BOINC Projects" in your wallet. Do following:
1. Choose a project from "BOINC Projects" add it to your BOINC manager and set its username on the project website to your GRC receiving address.
2. In your Wallet set that same receiving addresses name to "Default".
3. Go to "BOINC Projects" in your wallet, find the project you added and fill in your "User ID" that can be found in your account settings on that projects website. Press save. After a while if you press "Query Credits" it will change to show the actual number of avg. daily credits you did for that project.

Now you should be CPU mining. The last thing that you need to wait for is sending a beacon.. As Rob said, 1-2 times a day a small payment will be automatically sent from your wallet(~0.05GRC) and after that has been sent and recognized by the GPU miners(~15-20mins) you will now be recognized by the system..If you go to the "Debug Console" and write "listcpuminers" you should now be listed.(look for your address).

Hope this helps.
Andrew.

I registered to projects on Boincstats to have only one account for multiple projects, where do I find the "User ID" to add in the wallet "BOINC Projects" tab ?
Hi Andrew,
Really really appreciate your time and reply. Regarding the points you have made
1. Choose a project from "BOINC Projects" add it to your BOINC manager and set its username on the project website to your GRC receiving address.
I have 4 out of the 5 projects running. Infact I had SETI too but I removed it since it wasn't in the list. I am being shows credits for the Malaria, RNA, ROsetta and Milkyway projects. However they are all less than 30. Is this normal ? Also for the project that I have not attached to BOINC (namely.. Docker) it is showing a "-11". Is that a problem or is it normal to show that for projects not attached ? Also in BOINC Manager under "Tasks"-> "Name" it shows the name of the task right ? or should that too be my recieving address (I think it should be the name of the task but just asking to make sure)?

Done that. My "gridcoin.conf" also shows projects listed. Have attached images below.Would you be kind enough to have a look once and tell me if something is wrong ?

3. Go to "BOINC Projects" in your wallet, find the project you added and fill in your "User ID" that can be found in your account settings on that projects website. Press save. After a while if you press "Query Credits" it will change to show the actual number of avg. daily credits you did for that project.

Done that too. See images below please if its correct, would be very helpful of you.

http://imgur.com/d23fYmR,RxzYzui,cAyVmb6,UCcbwuw,COUYJiJ#0

The last thing that you need to wait for is sending a beacon.. As Rob said, 1-2 times a day a small payment will be automatically sent from your wallet(~0.05GRC) and after that has been sent and recognized by the GPU miners(~15-20mins) you will now be recognized by the system..If you go to the "Debug Console" and write "listcpuminers" you should now be listed.(look for your address).

Do you mean the payment will be made "from"(outgoing payment from me) my wallet or "to"(me recieving payment) my wallet ? Because I have recieved another small payment of 0.00000267 GRC. AFAIK its not related to CPU mining. I am almost sure I have everything correct. Another question is that do you receive some error when opening gridcoin-qt ? Because I always get a message asking to check "guiminerl.exe.log" and that shows a "pyopencl" dll load failed error. So I have to manually start it. And then it says - nothing to mine .. in a command prompt window and then the window closes. However, when I click "TestCPUMiner" in the mining console then it gives me a result in an alert box. Is this ok ? Because I still cant see my address with the command "listcpuminers" from the debug window and my machine has been running for the past 2 days (with all the adjustments that you have asked me to do probably 6-8 hours).

Can you let me know your opinion on this ? And once again I thoroughly appreciate your help mate. Feels good to be shown some direction when I was almost on the verge of giving up. So thank you again Andrew.

Regards
Activity: 144
Can you help me a bit Andrew ? Rob doesn't seem to be answering for now,

Hi Rob,

Ok just as I was writing a similar amount of credit appeared back into the wallet. Not sure if its the same. When I click on "Transactions" in the wallet it shows a big red square on the column to the left of "Date" column. Upon right clicking "Show transaction details" in the wallet it says -

"status: 0/offline, has not been successfully broadcast yet" and
"From: unknown" (along with transaction details.)

So something I am confused about is that - isn't the GRC to be credited with a minimum of 5 (+ depending on BOINC utilization ) ? I suppose the GRC I have are not there due to finding a block. Am I correct ? And if I am correct then it has already been more than a day easily since the miner has been running and no GRC yet ... is this normal (how long does it take?) ?

Also, one of the projects I have running is SETI , however it does not show up in the "Project Console" so that I can link my user id for the same(SETI) as you directed before.

Hi thenoblebot,

I'm not sure about the transactions part from your post.

However, regarding the projects..for CPU mining you need to be registered and have BOINC running at least one of the projects that are listed in "BOINC Projects" in your wallet. Do following:

Now you should be CPU mining. The last thing that you need to wait for is sending a beacon.. As Rob said, 1-2 times a day a small payment will be automatically sent from your wallet(~0.05GRC) and after that has been sent and recognized by the GPU miners(~15-20mins) you will now be recognized by the system..If you go to the "Debug Console" and write "listcpuminers" you should now be listed.(look for your address).

Hope this helps.
Andrew.
Activity: 56
I've been trading crypto currencies for 1.5 years now.  This is the first currency I've been excited enough about to download and sync the client.  Love the Gridcoin concept!

FteJtaUYYs34nz5ueT1pFW83nQo9C4KV25

I'm definitely interested in purchasing a large amount with Bitcoin.

Thanks!
Jump to: