Author

Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread - page 273. (Read 597251 times)

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001
This is actually a great thing for Gridcoin. We can see if there is any loopholes or flaws anywhere. This is a great idea now that I think about it.

Challenge accepted. @Gridcoin, you should create new topic about the 5000 GRC bounty and the challenge. Everyone should participate.
Done:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=358931.new#new

Activity: 364
Merit: 252
Challenge accepted. @Gridcoin, you should create new topic about the 5000 GRC bounty and the challenge. Everyone should participate.
Done:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=358931.new#new

legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

Good luck, you're gonna need it lol
Activity: 76
Merit: 10
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
Gridcoin has no future. Too easy to cheat and to fake BOINC cpu utilization.

Troll on back to the basement glitchboy..
I'll give you a 1000GRC if you can figure out a way to hack it without boinc running.

How would you do it?

Rob Halford

Before you answer, remember that no other node is going to forward your block to the network if it doesn't have a valid hash that "checkwork xxxx" returns a 1 on from the RPC.
Type checkwork 26150 and look at the result code.

Scratch that, I'll give you 5000 gridcoins if you can figure out a way to hack the boinchash and create a successful block accepted by the network.  And just to give you a hint, the hash changes on every block, so you can't copy anything from previous hashes.  And yes, what is in the hash is related to boinc, and sampled over 75,000 times per second, and is new information for every GPU block.  Oh and one more thing, the block does contain more than the CPU usage now.  It has 3 inputs from the GVM that are not primitive types.

Rob Halford

Activity: 144
Merit: 100
Hi everyone!

So finally here is the promised CPU Mining tutorial. Smiley

https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/1922-cpu-mining-tutorialtopic/

Hope it helps!
Andrew.
I'll give you a 1000GRC if you can figure out a way to hack it without boinc running.

How would you do it?

Rob Halford

Before you answer, remember that no other node is going to forward your block to the network if it doesn't have a valid hash that "checkwork xxxx" returns a 1 on from the RPC.
Type checkwork 26150 and look at the result code.

Instead of being dismissive you could probably tell us how you would do it and what measures could be introduced to curb it ?
legendary
why don't you explain how to hack it, better yet make a hack yourself and show us the cheating in realtime.

Activity: 76
Merit: 10
Hi everyone!

regarding the CPU mining tutorial, stay tuned I'm working on it and will post tonight. Sorry, I was trying to do it earlier however work overran me.

Regards,
Andrew.

+1 Andrew.

And in the meanwhile my nth (n>6) attempt to get it to work fails .... Sad
legendary
Glad to have you on board TribalBob, we need more people like you. Spread the word far and wide.

I love this coin.

I have been using BOINC for about a year or so now because I love science and I believe deeply in what BOINC is trying to do to advance humanity ad our knowledge of the sciences.

It makes me happy to see BOINC gaining much needed exposure and it's even nice to have the added incentive of being rewarded for my activity on BOINC.

I did have one small issue with installation, on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit OS it seems I need to run the wallet as Administrator in order for it to read BOINC activity (maybe because I run with higher Windows security settings for my system) but other than that the process has been pretty straight forward.

I feel this coin has a lot of future potential, especially if the BOINC developers and Gridcoin developers were to link up and work together on full integration. The potential could exist for individual projects to reward individual users with extra coins for being especially productive or to give to new members as an incentive to join new projects.

I have joined the "Gridcoin" team for each project I am a part of inside of BOINC (except for the projects that don't have a "Gridcoin" group yet, lol) and I am excited to see where things go from here.

I'm very happy to see someone creating incentives to contribute to advancements in science, health and technology.

Thank you and keep up the good work!

Thanks Bob, it's nice to hear praise for all the effort so far especially since it's been all for free.  Hopefully the payoff will be all the heat we save in the future.

Our network is stabilizing now.  Block explorer restarted.  We raised the minimum network protocol level to 1000 in the last version (30 minutes ago), and that requires all nodes to talk to v25 or newer, and seems to be helping.  For the last hour I have not seen any of my 4 machines fall off the net, and that makes me feel a lot better.....

Have a good one.

Rob H.
Activity: 1288
Merit: 257
Chainjoes.com
I love this coin.

I have been using BOINC for about a year or so now because I love science and I believe deeply in what BOINC is trying to do to advance humanity ad our knowledge of the sciences.

It makes me happy to see BOINC gaining much needed exposure and it's even nice to have the added incentive of being rewarded for my activity on BOINC.

I did have one small issue with installation, on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit OS it seems I need to run the wallet as Administrator in order for it to read BOINC activity (maybe because I run with higher Windows security settings for my system) but other than that the process has been pretty straight forward.

I feel this coin has a lot of future potential, especially if the BOINC developers and Gridcoin developers were to link up and work together on full integration. The potential could exist for individual projects to reward individual users with extra coins for being especially productive or to give to new members as an incentive to join new projects.

I have joined the "Gridcoin" team for each project I am a part of inside of BOINC (except for the projects that don't have a "Gridcoin" group yet, lol) and I am excited to see where things go from here.

I'm very happy to see someone creating incentives to contribute to advancements in science, health and technology.

Thank you and keep up the good work!

Whats the problem?

The black bg/green text reminds me of those old win98 high contrast themes.  On the transactions list you can't even read anything on the black lines except the address.
Do you have 1137?  We fixed that the day after Thanksgiving, you should see 3 colors on the transaction list now.

Another thing I want to mention to everyone having sync problems and reliability problems:

These problems are almost exactly what we went through when we went live; nothing has changed in this new wallet from yesterday to today except for one more field is being enforced- the boinchash field.

The problem is 30% of the users are still running old versions and sending mined blocks back & forth and the client doesn't handle it very well and "falls off the network" and you have to restart it.  We should see the same reliability we had yesterday after the majority upgrade and stop mining with the old version. 

Rob H.

Activity: 203

Whats the problem?

The black bg/green text reminds me of those old win98 high contrast themes.  On the transactions list you can't even read anything on the black lines except the address.
Not a fan of the new wallet look.  Any way to revert it?

Whats the problem?
Bug found for users who need to resync completely.  Fixed.  Version 5.0 available now.

Rob H.

Activity: 144
Yes I confirm.  The difficulty should regauge within 30 minutes and the time span should auto adjust between blocks.  I think the forward/back blocks are miners on old versions trying to submit bad blocks.  They are being rejected by the majority.

Rob H.

Great, thanks for the info. Thought that might be the problem since ''listminers'' showed ~5 miners on the old one today.

Andrew.
Jump to: