Author

Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread - page 279. (Read 597251 times)

Activity: 364
Merit: 252
Try the latest version of gridcoin-qt and try cgminer, should do the same as the other coins.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001
are you using reaper or cgminer?

...still 0.00 GRC in the wallet...

When mining other coins there is the "new block detected" message every other minute in cgminer.
With gridcoin the console remains silent - only temp. and hashrate are updated once a second...
Is this normal??

greetings
a.
Activity: 32
Merit: 0
...still 0.00 GRC in the wallet...

When mining other coins there is the "new block detected" message every other minute in cgminer.
With gridcoin the console remains silent - only temp. and hashrate are updated once a second...
Is this normal??

greetings
a.
Is the pool still in beta or can anyone access it?  If so, how?
Hi Rum,

Regarding pool mining, its in prod now, 8 people are using it, and I think we will be OK until we have 100 people using it.  At that point the blocks will almost overload, and we plan on exercising the hourly payment option more on that later, but that should not be hard to turn on.  

Anyway, to use it, go into your gridcoin.conf and add the setting "poolmining=true", restart the wallet and everything is automatic.  When you mine blocks, your blocks * boincshares automatically go into pool1.  Then you can do a "listminers" and see yourself on the payment list (by looking for your default GRC receiving address).  You can switch in and out of the pool if you want.  If you type "getpoolminingmode" the wallet will tell you if your active.

Pool payments continue throughout the lookback period until that period elapses without finding a new block.

Best Regards,
Rob H.
legendary
Hi Andrew, welcome to the club. If you want to build a mining rig you need good gpu.

Here is a video of 2 of my rigs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DfJj4UZcU8

motherboard: asus crosshair IV extreme
gpu: radeon 5870
psu: 1000 watt ocz
cpu: AMD Phenom II X6 Six-Core Processor
ram: 6gb

If you want to build a rig I would recommend the MSI Radeon 7950 twin frozr gpu, i had 2 rigs with those gpu and they are great for mining.

Hi everyone!

I want to express a very big thank you to the creators of this coin!
It is such a pleasure to see that a good cause is being helped and the power put into mining is actually used and not just "thrown" away.

If you guys will keep up the great work you have done so far I can easily see Gridcoin becoming The new Bitcoin...but you are probably already aware of the breakthrough and revolution you are about to make here! Wink
Not just for cryptocurrencies but for all of the projects that are being helped!
This is really awesome!!! Smiley

That being said.
I would really like to start supporting GRC as much as possible. However since I do not come from IT(I am an FX trader) and have not mined any cryptos yet, I have no idea what I am doing Smiley..so I would really appreciate your help.

- Yesterday I downloaded and installed gridcoin-beta.msi & boinc_6.6.38_windows_intelx86.exe from here http://www.gridcoinnetwork.org/get-started.html with default settings and locations.
- Wallet synced well and Gridcoin Mining Module is working fine. After looking to troubleshooting I also upgraded .NET to the latest version to be safe.
- BOINC Manager runs Ok, 3 Projects added & tasks are being solved using CPU and NVIDIA GPU on my laptop.
- Also my Wallet and Mining Module do see the BOINC utilization and everything refreshes Ok.

There are 2 things I would need your help with:

1) Setting up my laptop to CPU mine, while the NVIDIA runs BOINC
2) On monday I am going to buy a dedicated pc just for mining Gridcoin&BOINC..so I would really appreciate suggestions on what setup should it be to best help the network. Also taking into account future developments in GRC. Budget ~$2k. I personally dont know how to complete the machine from individual parts, however I do have people that can do it for me..so buying individual parts is an option for me if it would be best suited to get most power for the budget.
@GRIDCOIN - Would you be able to help with this?

Please bear in mind that I am not an IT person so my questions might seem off and I need step by step instructions. Smiley

Thanks everyone for your help!
GO Gridcoin!!! Wink
legendary
the difficulty is already past 1 I think @ 200 khs it will take some time.

Hi @all

Thanks for bringing up this cool, energy saving coin *clapclap*

Problem although is, im mining gridcoins since 20hrs with approx. 200khashes with the latest client and cgminer 3.5.0 pointing to 127.0.0.1.
But either i have no luck or something is wrong - it does not find a block - still 0.00 GRC in the wallet.... Embarrassed

I have tried both, pool and single mining. Boinc Processing Power shows 100.

anyone has an idea what could possibly be wrong  Huh

Greetings from Austria!
a.

PS: just donated a BTC beer to gridcoin Wink
Spare GRC going here: Fww4Y7WdTs9ZSkDPj6P33w4MGbqkjHSWZT   

Activity: 371
Merit: 250
Great idea !!

Voted on the just_me thread. Also asked for this coin to be added to cryptsy. It definetely deserves a exchange.

Please send me a few so i can taste it while i manage to install the miner. I am having some problems with the user group installation and boinc :-?

FuEaBhknKDCcmjxPt4yPSSwnN8ehnMYD5N

Cheers,

Activity: 32
Hi @all

Thanks for bringing up this cool, energy saving coin *clapclap*

Problem although is, im mining gridcoins since 20hrs with approx. 200khashes with the latest client and cgminer 3.5.0 pointing to 127.0.0.1.
But either i have no luck or something is wrong - it does not find a block - still 0.00 GRC in the wallet.... Embarrassed

I have tried both, pool and single mining. Boinc Processing Power shows 100.

anyone has an idea what could possibly be wrong  Huh

Greetings from Austria!
a.

PS: just donated a BTC beer to gridcoin Wink
Spare GRC going here: Fww4Y7WdTs9ZSkDPj6P33w4MGbqkjHSWZT   

Andrew, great to have you on board.  I'll help as much as I can but I have a Thanksgiving commitment coming up, so one thing you can do in the mean time is read the cryptocointalk thread for some more info and ask Aysyr for some help.  Of course if anyone can jump in, please help.

We are releasing a new version in the -beta section of the web site with a new sleeker look.  Check it out everyone.  Also, there is a relatively major hiccup fixed in that version that has to do with performance and one other background issue (having to do with what the client does when you mine a solo block) that can potentially help the long term reliability (it had a memory leak that we fixed), so please check out the new version.  One other major issue, I moved our code base back from reaper to guiminer, since many users want to use nvidia and cgminer.  So-- please move your guiminer folder to the c:\users\~appdata\roaming\gridcoin folder.  Rename it "guiminer".  This way, when we upgrade that folder will not be erased or marked read only.

Ill comment on the pool mining asap.

Good luck everyone,
Rob Halford
Activity: 144
Merit: 100
Hi everyone!

I want to express a very big thank you to the creators of this coin!
It is such a pleasure to see that a good cause is being helped and the power put into mining is actually used and not just "thrown" away.

If you guys will keep up the great work you have done so far I can easily see Gridcoin becoming The new Bitcoin...but you are probably already aware of the breakthrough and revolution you are about to make here! Wink
Not just for cryptocurrencies but for all of the projects that are being helped!
This is really awesome!!! Smiley

That being said.
I would really like to start supporting GRC as much as possible. However since I do not come from IT(I am an FX trader) and have not mined any cryptos yet, I have no idea what I am doing Smiley..so I would really appreciate your help.

- Yesterday I downloaded and installed gridcoin-beta.msi & boinc_6.6.38_windows_intelx86.exe from here http://www.gridcoinnetwork.org/get-started.html with default settings and locations.
- Wallet synced well and Gridcoin Mining Module is working fine. After looking to troubleshooting I also upgraded .NET to the latest version to be safe.
- BOINC Manager runs Ok, 3 Projects added & tasks are being solved using CPU and NVIDIA GPU on my laptop.
- Also my Wallet and Mining Module do see the BOINC utilization and everything refreshes Ok.

There are 2 things I would need your help with:

1) Setting up my laptop to CPU mine, while the NVIDIA runs BOINC
2) On monday I am going to buy a dedicated pc just for mining Gridcoin&BOINC..so I would really appreciate suggestions on what setup should it be to best help the network. Also taking into account future developments in GRC. Budget ~$2k. I personally dont know how to complete the machine from individual parts, however I do have people that can do it for me..so buying individual parts is an option for me if it would be best suited to get most power for the budget.
@GRIDCOIN - Would you be able to help with this?

Please bear in mind that I am not an IT person so my questions might seem off and I need step by step instructions. Smiley

Thanks everyone for your help!
GO Gridcoin!!! Wink
legendary
I just voted too.

I just voted for gridcoin to be traded on cryptsy.com at the link below:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/annpoll-which-coin-would-you-like-added-to-cryptsy-349420

Hey, can you reward me, by giving me some gridcoins? ( my pc is no good for mining so I am missing out )

FwY286Z4aqYoB5EZfhovf7HutbY9ERpX2q

Thanks

(get out there and vote gridcoiners )
Activity: 203
Merit: 100
Is the pool still in beta or can anyone access it?  If so, how?
Activity: 686
Merit: 259
I'm now officially mining Gridcoins with my miserable 150 Kh/s.
How long will it take approx. to find a block?
Probably 24 hours.  You can also pool mine by setting "poolmining=true" in the config.  Although there is no free money, either 150grc all at once, or 150 more consistently very slowly.

Grid

Huh, I used this calculator: https://www.litecoinpool.org/calc
I put 0.628482 as difficulty (got it from explorer.gridcoin.us), 150 as hashrate and 0 as power usage.
I got: 4 hours and 59 minutes to find a block.
Am I using that calculator properly? Thanks.
Probably 24 hours.  You can also pool mine by setting "poolmining=true" in the config.  Although there is no free money, either 150grc all at once, or 150 more consistently very slowly.

Grid

I just voted for gridcoin to be traded on cryptsy.com at the link below:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/annpoll-which-coin-would-you-like-added-to-cryptsy-349420

Hey, can you reward me, by giving me some gridcoins? ( my pc is no good for mining so I am missing out )

FwY286Z4aqYoB5EZfhovf7HutbY9ERpX2q

Thanks

(get out there and vote gridcoiners )
Hey cool poll, thanks!   I voted.

Sent you some GRC also!

Working on a facelift for the wallet.

Grid

Activity: 686
Merit: 259
Activity: 27
Just showing my support.
Really like the use of BOINC here. Going to explore this some more in the next few days.
Keep up the good work!
legendary
Looks great. Good stuff.

Block Explorer available!

http://explorer.gridcoin.us/

It also shows current difficulty and network hashps.

NOTE:  The blocks are synchronizing very slowly, in order to test this enter a block # below 1844.

Enjoy,
Rob Halford

Any ETA for the linux client?   

I was able to build gridcoind on linux from latest github source.  I had to fix a few minor build issues and I can load the block chain, however when  I start mining with cgminer after 5-10 minutes getwork() stops returning any data, and I have to restart, so not quite there yet.

Id rather give you a realistic answer than lead you on.  Sergey has done an excellent job porting the code to linux up til this point; youll have to leave a message on the tech support thread on cryptocointalk for an accurate estimate.  He hasnt even seen the newest code that is necessary to build the new feature in linux, and unfortunately my top priority for Thanksgiving is to add the enforcement block.  If I were to guess I think at least 2 weeks to add those security features in.  You are better off figuring out a way to run Windows in a virtual machine on Linux, even if you have to install an old version of windows XP!  Sorry, but Id rather not lead you on.

Have a good one,
Rob H.
Activity: 321
Merit: 250
Any donations for a sad face linux miner waiting for the client to work?   

I was hoping to at least mine a block of 5, but no luck so far, and can only mine for a few minutes before getwork stops returning data.  About to give up.

GCTQMSgKGX1ZhzyUFEQkYUuGNKmXntdG1N
Jump to: