Author

Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread - page 280. (Read 597251 times)

Activity: 321
Merit: 250
Any ETA for the linux client?   

I was able to build gridcoind on linux from latest github source.  I had to fix a few minor build issues and I can load the block chain, however when  I start mining with cgminer after 5-10 minutes getwork() stops returning any data, and I have to restart, so not quite there yet.

Activity: 364
Merit: 252
Block Explorer available!

http://explorer.gridcoin.us/

It also shows current difficulty and network hashps.

NOTE:  The blocks are synchronizing very slowly, in order to test this enter a block # below 1844.

Enjoy,
Rob Halford

How can I mine this using qt?

Linux compiles and mines -  but I dont suggest using it yet; as any day were going to release the block enforcement patch and it will break your qt client.
Id suggest you mine in a windows virtual machine in linux till our programmer adds the latest windows features.  Or you can use the windows version.

Best Regards,
Rob H.
Activity: 10
Merit: 0
How can I mine this using qt?

I still think its important to have pool mining figured out before hitting an exchange so when the profit miners flood the scene it doesn't turn it into an orphan/fork fest..
Hi Alien,
Im not sure if you read about it, but we have pool mining.  There are 7 users using it now; if you go into the rpc console and type "listminers" you can see the GPU users in pool1.
It works good, I tested it with another user for a couple of weeks, and so far, no changes have been requested.

BTW, the external pool that someone created for fun only pays 5grc because we cant allow non-loopback mining (that would potentially circumvent the boinc checks), but our integrated pool works and its completely free.  Also, you can switch in & out of the pool as much as you want.  Just change the config to "poolmining=true".

Thanks,
Rob Halford
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001
The only way is to give mining Gridcoin a shot and see how it works out. If you have a few descent gpu's you can mine quite a bit of coins because the difficulty is still not too high.

Boinc has many more projects people can choose from. Curecoin does only folding@home and the structure between the way Gridcoin is implemented and Curecoin, is very different.

What's the main difference between Gridcoin and Curecoin?
Gridcoin uses BOINC while Curecoin uses Folding@home, are there any other differences?
Hm, sorry for all the questions but what are the pros and cons of mining one and not the other?
Thanks!
Activity: 686
Merit: 259
Boinc has many more projects people can choose from. Curecoin does only folding@home and the structure between the way Gridcoin is implemented and Curecoin, is very different.

Gridcoin uses BOINC while Curecoin uses Folding@home, are there any other differences?
Hm, sorry for all the questions but what are the pros and cons of mining one and not the other?
Thanks!
legendary

Activity: 52
Activity: 124
Merit: 100
Man, we really need an exchange to pick up Gridcoin asap.

Anyone want to sell GRC, please PM me with your offer. BTC, LTC, PPC are acceptable.

It would be great. I cannot wait any longer...
Activity: 686
Merit: 259
legendary
Here is the petition thread I started.
Cast your vote!
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/get-gridcoin-on-cryptsy-petition-first-boinc-coin-324690

I've been bugging cryptsy to add it, bitjohn said he'd look into it.  Need more people to bug them Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

I still think its important to have pool mining figured out before hitting an exchange so when the profit miners flood the scene it doesn't turn it into an orphan/fork fest..
Activity: 203
I've been bugging cryptsy to add it, bitjohn said he'd look into it.  Need more people to bug them Smiley
legendary
Man, we really need an exchange to pick up Gridcoin asap.

Anyone want to sell GRC, please PM me with your offer. BTC, LTC, PPC are acceptable.
Activity: 124
@Pabloangello,
You can start testing the new cpuminer  feature in our test group if you like.  You can earn 150grc per day cpumining.  You have to buy a GPU to do the scrypt mining.

All,

I will be working on the block explorer tonight.
In its first form it will be a web page that lets you see the block contents by block number, the current difficulty and some other stats another user asked for here on bitcointalk.  Stay tuned.

Rob Halford
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
Basecoin ANN THREAD: http://tinyurl.com/n6kuk36
Want to buy some gridcoins, please pm me.
legendary
if it is giving you khash it means it is running.
at that speed it will take very long to find a block. maybe you will get 1 per day maybe not.
you need amd gpu or you can try the pool mining with cpu. that might be better option for you.
i think the new client has a cpu pool mining option.

40 minutes is not enough. solo mining means that you have to solve the whole block. This is not like mining in pool where you are submitting shares. you have to leave it for several hours or a day at least. How many kh/s ?? how many gpu?

Are you solo gpu mining? is boinc running?

Having trouble getting my miner to run correctly for grc- not receiving any shares from reaper- is there anyway to troubleshoot this?  Also why was the integrated guiminer removed?

I was solo gpu mining, and boinc was running at 75-100.  It is off right now, as i hadnt been getting any shares for close to 40 minutes.

I was taking a look at the console, and it didnt seem like it was making any progress.  How do you tell if your miner is actually running?  my khashes was relatively low, 40ish at max (i have an nvidia that I pointed toward it).
Activity: 14
40 minutes is not enough. solo mining means that you have to solve the whole block. This is not like mining in pool where you are submitting shares. you have to leave it for several hours or a day at least. How many kh/s ?? how many gpu?

Are you solo gpu mining? is boinc running?

Having trouble getting my miner to run correctly for grc- not receiving any shares from reaper- is there anyway to troubleshoot this?  Also why was the integrated guiminer removed?

I was solo gpu mining, and boinc was running at 75-100.  It is off right now, as i hadnt been getting any shares for close to 40 minutes.

I was taking a look at the console, and it didnt seem like it was making any progress.  How do you tell if your miner is actually running?  my khashes was relatively low, 40ish at max (i have an nvidia that I pointed toward it).
Jump to: