Author

Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread - page 281. (Read 597251 times)

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001
40 minutes is not enough. solo mining means that you have to solve the whole block. This is not like mining in pool where you are submitting shares. you have to leave it for several hours or a day at least. How many kh/s ?? how many gpu?

Are you solo gpu mining? is boinc running?

Having trouble getting my miner to run correctly for grc- not receiving any shares from reaper- is there anyway to troubleshoot this?  Also why was the integrated guiminer removed?

I was solo gpu mining, and boinc was running at 75-100.  It is off right now, as i hadnt been getting any shares for close to 40 minutes.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0

Having trouble getting my miner to run correctly for grc- not receiving any shares from reaper- is there anyway to troubleshoot this?  Also why was the integrated guiminer removed?

I was solo gpu mining, and boinc was running at 75-100.  It is off right now, as i hadnt been getting any shares for close to 40 minutes.
legendary

Activity: 14
Activity: 52
I want to buy GRC for BTC/LTC/XPM.
If you are willing to sell GRC (1k or more),
PM me with your price (and suggest escrow if you prefer).
Sincerly yours,
Max
legendary
There is a gridcoin giveaway thread here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/done-324341

can I have some free gridcoins to see the wallet work ?

G5MD4Yr8rjgcr1nrzFn57A4YWPqk7HaAfZ
legendary
Activity: 1344
Will I achieve something from cpu mining with i7 CPU?
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
Basecoin ANN THREAD: http://tinyurl.com/n6kuk36
This coin seems very interesting.
Activity: 364
Merit: 252
New client released in the beta section of Gridcoin.us. Guiminer removed. Added support for reaper. Copy your reaper sub folders to the app directory and name them Reaper01 through Reaper04.

Best regards,
Rob Halford
legendary
Great work Rob. Love all the updates, looks like we got a bright future ahead of us.
some of the recent update I believe have made it impossible to run a hacked version.

Hello..

I like the idea of checking for boinc and paying more if they are using it.

My question is - How do you CHECK whether they actually are running the proper Daemon ?

How do you know they are not just running a hacked version that doesn't use any CPU power to get in the way of the mining ?

Can i not just compile a version which does nothing..

I am curious as i was also thinking of some sort of distributed programming language that you could run instead of mining, but could not find a fix to these issues ?

Good Luck with your efforts!  Grin

That's great..

But do you know how ?

It's quite hard to do.. Since I could just compile my own version of Linux that returned whatever information was required to trick GCoin into thinking I was running boinc..

Does boinc have some kind of POW that verifies that you are doing what you say you are doing ?

Hey - regarding Gridcoin security and hacking the client:

1) If you want to go through all the pain in creating a hacked version, you have to have a valid boinc md5 hash, a hash of the Gridcoin Virtual machines threadcount guid that constantly changes, a hash of the boinc utilization, a hash of the boinc avg daily credits, and the solution to the cpu miner hash for each new block.  That's stored in the block header.  If you don't have all that, you cant mine a new gpu block that is accepted by the network.
2) The feature we just added this week will start making GPU nodes check the Berkeley api for CPU miners work (credits earned on boinc by GRC wallet address), and that will allow non-payment to pool2 users (Pool2 is NOT live yet, it is only in Test; we will not release an untested feature).
3) As far as a fraudulent client, the new version requires a CPU miner to run in the background of the mining window that takes about 1 minute of processing power per block.  If you go through all that trouble to hack the cpu miner and what I said in step 1, you might as well run boinc as the effort is easier.

Best Regards,

Rob Halford

Hello All,

Version 4.61 is available for download @ www.gridcoin.us as the "beta" version.

1. Delete your program files (x86)\gridcoin directory (except for the guiminer folder). (Still working on the auto-upgrade).
2. Reinstall the MSI.
3. If you have a version older than 3.0, delete your blocks & chainstate folder in users\~\gridcoin and resynchronize.
If you do install the new version first, you can test to see if you have the old chain by :
going to the rpc console after syncing, and type "getblock 20000" .
If you have the newest database, the boinchash will contain over 200 characters plus "SOLO_MINING".  If you see garbage, upgrade
your chain.
4. To be part of the cpu mining test group (not currently live, only for testing), go into "Projects"
and choose a boinc project.  Add that project to your boinc projects list inside boinc.  Go to the project web site.
Create a new user using your default GRC receiving wallet address as a username.  Rename your gridcoin receiving wallet address
as "Default".  Modify your gridcoin.conf file and add the following key "cpumining=true".  You can GPU mine and cpumine at the
same time.  You can also GPU pool mine and CPU mine at the same time.  Once this key is enabled and the wallet is restarted,
once per day the system will send out a project beacon, and this currently costs about .08 GRC per day to participate (due
to transaction costs on the network --- soon we will be able to show the project name in the Transaction History, such as
"Malaria" in place of the .08grc debit).

Once this beacon is sent, you are cpu mining as long as boinc is working on that project.  To check your cpu mining credits, go back to "Projects" and press Query.
If you receive a negative number, an error occurred so please type the error into the forum and we will work it out.
Otherwise, if you receive a positive number, the off-chain PoW is working.  Note: You will have to wait until accumulate actual boinc credits for that project before any number appears. (You can check the official web site for that project to see if you have any, or check inside boinc).

To see your status in the cpu mining pool, go to the rpc console and type "listcpuminers".
It takes approximately 15 minutes for cpuminers to appear after the beacon is sent, because other GPU miners must verify the
PoW.

In the next few weeks you will be able to run a report to see the amount owed to you per day (approximately 150 grc per day per cpu miner
 is allocated in pool2 - until we have our first 576 users).  Note: Your PoW credits will affect the amount of shares you receive, so it will be very
fair for everyone, since high powered users will have higher credit counts per day.  Also, boinc users running with a GPU setup for boinc but not for mining will earn more boinc credits and therefore more shares in pool2.

5.  In the Mining Console, the internal CPU miner will hash the boinc utilization + credits + threads into a block, and
will place that block in the next GPU block automatically, that is the reason you will see the progress bar moving back and
forth as miners find new blocks.

Good luck everyone,
Rob Halford

Addendum : The version is now 1.0.3.5.  To save you a lot of pain, download the MSI to your machine before running it and right click on it, and Unblock the contents before executing. 
Also, if you have guiminer in your gridcoin directory, ensure the Folder is not Read Only after the upgrade (or you will receive guiminer.exe.log errors). 

Someone asked if the upgrade was mandatory:

No not mandatory yet; the issue is I think a lot of people are running the old chain and Id like to see 51% upgrade to the new version before we force it on them.  The other thing is since this version has so many beta features I dont want to release a beta version as prod without testing it.  Once I know this version is generally accepted and is stable (with guiminer in it) we can do a mandatory upgrade otherwise it could be a disaster.  But I agree, we need to do this quickly.

As far as cpumining affecting the gpuminers:  For one, this coin will always need the gpu miners (or whatever latest technology exists in the future) to ensure it can live without third party web sites in order for people to have faith to invest in the chain, ie who would put their money in the chain if it didnt have good security?  So, primarily the scrypt blockchain stays and is required for the coin to even exist.  However since this is BOINC based and we want higher boinc efficiency I think adding in 576 boinc users into our mix is a very good thing for everyone, and gives the coin a strong user base.  Having 5-20 cpu miners mining in pool 2 isnt even going to affect the gpu miners one bit, not even like a flea on the back of this coin, since the coin only pays out one block per day per cpu miner; while the gpu miners are mining one block every 2.5 minutes.  So, in effect it does not dilute the coin (since these new users have to do work to have any block payment per day), and adds to our user base and efficiency.  If we ever grow to 576 users, those cpu users become half of the network (thats the cap, and that when the coin is 50% cpu, 50% gpu; it may never happen) but if it did, we would have a strong user base and over 75% boinc efficiency. 

Anyway to answer your question as far as today is concerned, there are no changes to the coin, or the solo mining, or the integrated pool mining for gpus.  The only difference is when cpu miners start coming online, when your machine finds a new gpu block, it will check the work of those 5 users "once per day" through the berkeley api system (using one of the seed nodes) and write that info to the chain.  That will allow the info to be block hashed, and then pool2 will be paid percentages of their daily amount until it meets the share level.  Right now, the payout feature isnt enabled, were just trying to see if it works by testing.

Thanks,
Rob Halford
Activity: 718
Merit: 545
some of the recent update I believe have made it impossible to run a hacked version.

Hello..

My question is - How do you CHECK whether they actually are running the proper Daemon ?

How do you know they are not just running a hacked version that doesn't use any CPU power to get in the way of the mining ?

I am curious as i was also thinking of some sort of distributed programming language that you could run instead of mining, but could not find a fix to these issues ?

That's great..

But do you know how ?

It's quite hard to do.. Since I could just compile my own version of Linux that returned whatever information was required to trick GCoin into thinking I was running boinc..

Does boinc have some kind of POW that verifies that you are doing what you say you are doing ?
legendary
Activity: 1344
Is there a topic where can I buy GRC?
legendary

Hello..

legendary
Yes we do have potential. I really hope Gridcoin surpasses all of them, maybe I am dreaming, but you never know.

If Gridcoin go to the exchange markt in the near future, how much would you expect the exchange rate to BTC or LTC.

I would guess 0.1 BTC/ 1000 GRC. We can reach that point soon. Comparing to FTC, WDC and some other coins, we have great potential.
Activity: 718
Merit: 545
Hello..

Activity: 124
Merit: 100
If Gridcoin go to the exchange markt in the near future, how much would you expect the exchange rate to BTC or LTC.

I would guess 0.1 BTC/ 1000 GRC. We can reach that point soon. Comparing to FTC, WDC and some other coins, we have great potential.
legendary
Thanks  Wink

Here is my explainer video I did myself to promote Gridcoin. Do not ask me how long this damn thing took.  Shocked

Give it many many likes  Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1tmNmZomeM

Nice work!!
Liked, shared, tweeted out...
legendary
Activity: 1354
Merit: 1020
I was diagnosed with brain parasite
Here is my explainer video I did myself to promote Gridcoin. Do not ask me how long this damn thing took.  Shocked

Give it many many likes  Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1tmNmZomeM

Nice work!!
Liked, shared, tweeted out...
Jump to: