Pages:
Author

Topic: Hacking kills the cryptocurrency market - page 29. (Read 4472 times)

Activity: 89
Merit: 0
September 18, 2018, 08:00:09 AM
Yes, it does. Many of these hackers do not know what they do do to this market when they caryy out their actions, or maybe they do. They make a lot of persons scared, and feel unsafe, hence, pack their stuff, and leave the market. It is sad the number of people these hackers have frustrated, and have made lose faith in the system.
Activity: 1022
Merit: 276
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
September 11, 2018, 02:42:23 AM
Hacking is one of the biggest obstacles to the cryptocurrency market.
1- Ever been hacked?
2- Lost your coins in an exchange hacking?
3-Did the exchange pay you back for lost coins?

Please share your story, and give some TIPS on how to avoid being hacked.

I have experienced to be hacked before, and I wont be able to get back my holdings in an exchange. the exchanger has no responsibility for that, its my own fault, it is also not their responsibility to return your stolen coins.
Activity: 462
Merit: 10
September 11, 2018, 02:08:35 AM
I often see some news about hackers, but I have not suffered such a loss, because when I don't trade, I will store all the coins in the "cold wallet"!
copper member
Activity: 141
Merit: 1
API-Based Smart Contract Solution For Exch Hacking
September 11, 2018, 02:07:31 AM
We have seen many high profile cryptocurrency hacks over the past few years. In this guide, we are going to be talking about, in our opinion, the five most important hacks that shook the crypto-world down to its very core. The intention is not to scare you, but to educate you and make you understand why these attacks happened.

Definitely. we are knee-deep in crypto, and we can only look for ways to make it flourish. This is the future, we can't scare people away from it.
legendary
Activity: 1932
Merit: 1273
September 11, 2018, 02:06:25 AM
Hacking does not kill the cryptocurrency. Bad code does[1]. Everyone knows exchanges isn't a great place to keep an asset. If we didn't have the private keys, then we don't have the coin. In the end, what really important is we need to have a really good brain. Sometimes the problem is not in the software but the brainware. Not activating the 2-factor authentication, download malicious software from an unknown source, and using the same password for many websites are a few of many examples of human stupidity.

[1]https://www.zdnet.com/article/smart-contracts-leave-millions-of-dollars-in-ethereum-vulnerable/
Activity: 156
September 11, 2018, 02:05:24 AM
Yes of course. Non in life become better when it hack.  Hacking can be done only if there is a weakness on your project that they can exploit. In the case of crypto wallet, it not yet secured since hackers have their way to exploit the system.
Activity: 147
September 11, 2018, 02:01:41 AM
We have seen many high profile cryptocurrency hacks over the past few years. In this guide, we are going to be talking about, in our opinion, the five most important hacks that shook the crypto-world down to its very core. The intention is not to scare you, but to educate you and make you understand why these attacks happened.
Activity: 616
Merit: 263
September 11, 2018, 01:59:01 AM
I agree that hacking is posing a major warning signal to any many corporations which could have been acceptors of crypto. Its a big deterrent.
copper member
September 11, 2018, 01:54:43 AM

No. Hacking is there since.. 2010? and cryptocurrency market didn't care much of it.
The fact that some businesses or individuals don't know how to keep in a safe manner big amounts of money has nothing to do with the markets.
The fact that the world (including the crypto world) is full of scams and inside job has nothing to do with the markets.

It's like you'd say "the stock markets are a failure because banks and shops are getting robbed from time to time".

Now about staying safe, you have to stick to some obvious rules:
1. Online services are not proper wallets and you should not entrust any service to keep your hard earned money. Of course, they are okay and even handy for small amounts you afford to lose.
2. The proper wallets are on computer/laptop/smartphone, but those need safety. However, it's not normal to buy an 100$ hardware wallet to keep save 50$ worth of Bitcoin. But if you have 1000$+ worth of Bitcoin, a hardware wallet could be a good idea.
3. For companies: it's not normal to handle millions of dollars worth of Bitcoin without a proper cold storage (and maybe even insurance).
4. Most important: don't keep online/hot wallet the funds you don't want to spend in the next months/years. If you do, then it means you love to give presents to the hackers.

Great advice.
copper member
September 11, 2018, 01:53:29 AM
I think that the biggest damage to crypto is scam. Hacking does not take out so much money from crypto, but creates a FUD.
Scam ICO is the greatest damage. Investors' funds do not work for the industry, but lambos and yachts are given to the wrong people. This reduces the faith in crypto, reduces the flow of new funds. As a result, the crypto industry is oppressed and does not develop.

Very right, hacking is bad but scammers are the worst. They do so much damage to confidence and the market.
Activity: 532
Merit: 100
September 11, 2018, 01:53:14 AM
i never experience being hack since i start in crypto. we should do things to keep are crypto safe. i always withdraw my coins after i traded and never left it exchange sites. even though exchanges site have good review we can't trust them. also i access MEW through metamask instead of accessing it directly.
copper member
September 11, 2018, 01:52:01 AM
not at all. hacks have been happening for as long as computers existed and mostly when the internet was invented. and they always been a nuisance but they never preventing growth or anything like that. the cryptocurrency market is also suffering from hacks and lack of security mostly because exchanges are shit when it comes to trust (not just security because they are known to scam their users and call it "hack") but it still isn't a preventing force.
Interesting perspective. Very correct, l must say. However, you do agree that hacking in the market erodes confidence, gives people who do not want cryptocurrency to flourish a good excuse to condemn the market.
Activity: 126
September 11, 2018, 01:45:29 AM
I am still young in this market, so no, thankfully it's been a safe experience me so far.
There are various measures we can take in order to keep safe,
Minimum dependency on exchange, best to use wallets. There are multi-coin wallets available too. They can be targeted too but still safe compared to exchange.
And some golden rules that apply to banking in general, awareness about phishing techniques and not bragging about the investments and gains you have made.

Activity: 140
September 11, 2018, 01:44:21 AM
I have had very good luck thus far and have not suffered a hack.  I do believe the hackers and maybe even more so the scammers will have a huge impact on crypto.  Many of the elderly and young are going to fall victim to these schemes.  When the paradigm shifts certain people are going to be taken advantage of.  There is just no way to save them all. 

Yes those scammers and hacking issues are the one factors give negative impact to cryptocurrency. That's the reason some investors still afraid and hesitant to invest or put up more for those already invisting. Although I think crypto is doing all the possible measures to prevent it still some scammers and hackers get through.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137
September 11, 2018, 01:34:12 AM
not at all. hacks have been happening for as long as computers existed and mostly when the internet was invented. and they always been a nuisance but they never preventing growth or anything like that. the cryptocurrency market is also suffering from hacks and lack of security mostly because exchanges are shit when it comes to trust (not just security because they are known to scam their users and call it "hack") but it still isn't a preventing force.
Activity: 658
Merit: 11
September 11, 2018, 01:33:03 AM
I think that the biggest damage to crypto is scam. Hacking does not take out so much money from crypto, but creates a FUD.
Scam ICO is the greatest damage. Investors' funds do not work for the industry, but lambos and yachts are given to the wrong people. This reduces the faith in crypto, reduces the flow of new funds. As a result, the crypto industry is oppressed and does not develop.
Activity: 3080
Merit: 603
September 11, 2018, 01:32:11 AM
1. No
2. No
3. No experience so it never happened.

My advice is don't be so caught up with new exchanges that you are curious with. And secure your wallets as well because hacking isn't only happening through exchanges. When there are events like this to an exchange, larger amount of funds are being robbed and that's the portion of total money of that exchange. Don't login to unusual websites and bookmark websites that you use.
Activity: 229
September 11, 2018, 01:31:07 AM
1- Ever been hacked?

indeed. Every year we recognize many hacker attacks and bring about very bad injuries and trends. You can remember about bithumb, bancor, etc. that is scary. Fortunately, I have not been hacked on the trading floor. but with MEW is there. I was confused because did not know their methods. I removed the privatekey and only retained Json for the login. This method is OK.
Activity: 448
Merit: 17
September 11, 2018, 01:28:00 AM
luckily I have never experienced hacking on the exchanger that I use
but, as far as I know, every exchanger must register the platform with an insurance company, so when they lose money, the insurance will replace the lost money
Activity: 980
Merit: 276
September 11, 2018, 01:23:49 AM
1- Ever been hacked?

i have been hacked. but it was not an exchange. my ethereum based wallet was hacked while ago. i have a hardware wallet but i was temporary keeping my tokens in an other wallet. and they hacked and transfered all my balance to another wallet.
Pages:
Jump to: