Author

Topic: Happy New Years! Seventh alt coin thread! - page 116. (Read 34166 times)

Activity: 65
Merit: 10
January 03, 2018, 04:40:32 AM
here is an update on the algorithm OC/miner recommendations:

Here is the sheet opened for COMMENT:
https://goo.gl/SLjsaA

Thanks to KaydenC, Ursaursa, vapourminer,QuintLeo for taking the time to share.

Booooo for P00P135 who seems to know it all but could only share a snarky remark.

I have a zotac 1070mini lying around so I will try OC all algorithms and share.
Activity: 104
Merit: 11
January 03, 2018, 03:44:28 AM
Just buy a product key from ebay for $5

None of my rigs is activated. You can install whatever you want and there are plenty of guides about disabling updates and preventing the rig from restarting itself. Smiley Yes it became a bit more difficult since the creators update but hey, 5 dollars here, 5 dollars there Smiley Disabling error reporting had to be pieces together because the stupid error window didn't go away on it's own and they changed the way it worked in creators. Just like they changed most things...
Activity: 53
Merit: 0
January 03, 2018, 03:12:52 AM
Just buy a product key from ebay for $5
Activity: 600
Merit: 261
January 03, 2018, 03:11:56 AM
Anyone here running rx 570/580 rigs dual mining ETH + either DCR or PASC?  I read a few places that while ETH results are about the same as 4xx cards, the dual 2nd coin piece is apparently quite a bit better than 4xx.  Has this been your experience? If so, about how much more hashes are you able to get out of 5xx vs 4xx?

Also, does anyone know if mining PASC with ETH is any less stressful on the cards than DCR & ETH?  for some reason, 2 of my 470 rigs cant seem to handle ETH + DCR any more... even if I lower the clock speeds and DCR intensity.  Same rigs can run ETH for days with no crashes, but adding DCR makes it reboot within 10-15 minutes like clockwork.
Activity: 1123
Merit: 136
January 03, 2018, 03:09:00 AM
So far the six-slot Onda with integrated CPU works well. Just the annoying Windows stickiness (allegedly linked to the 1709 creators' update - other rigs now seem to exhibit some sort of UI stickiness as well since I updated them).

That's good news; I've got two of the same board (with the Celeron CPU) on their way from China now.

Question for you and the group in general: do you bother with activating Windows 10, buy sketch keys from Kinguin, et al., or pony up for an OEM license from Newegg or the like? I wouldn't bother but it looks like you need to activate Windows if for no other other reason to stop Update from rebooting your machine every night, as it seems prone to do...

I don't bother.. it's still legit even without activation AFAIK.
https://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10/

This is a problem for nvidia.

You need an update to install any recent driver packages;  which will not be pushed to you or install-able until activated....  It will fail to install the windowsupdate nvidia driver until the update is performed;  which is reliant on activation.

It was a recent hurdle I learned about when doing machine upgrades.  Couldn't install any nvidia driver until it has the OS updated to the creators update I believe.

Simplest solution:

Install and activate 7;  do not use AutoKMS to activate....  Now update 7.  Install 10 as upgrade form CD or USB after SP1 has installed, and one more round of updates install after the SP1 portion; don't install 10 before this point.  10 will be pre-activated when finished.  Just process updates and you are off ot the races legitimately with no out of pocket expense.

You can install any update windows 10 without entering a product key...  Just use the media from their official site.  Its even updated with the lasted packages already.
Activity: 600
Merit: 261
January 03, 2018, 02:20:44 AM
my conspiracy theory on the card shortage: profits are high and the miners who started in March, April, May of 2017, just ROI'd their gear, and with the coin prices high, are potentially doubling down on more gear.

or they bought em up to claim the equipment cost on 2017 taxes?

You read my mind Vapour... I could have just waited until early Jan when a lot of these GPUs are SUPPOSED to come back in stock... but then I would have to wait over a year for the tax write off and I really need that this year lol.

In all fairness though, the OP hits a good point but it's only part of the equation. I suspect a good chunk of the shortage is coming from new miners... those who missed the Q1 explosion but are now keenly aware of this 2nd one that started in Nov.  Still, I simply cannot comprehend how AMD especially has completely missed the boat on demand, especially for Vega! 

I suspect HBM2 production still isn't ramping up enough to support as much Vega production as AMD would prefer.

I have ZERO doubt that the AMD current shortage/price jumps are mining-related - and same on the Nvidia 1070 (which is seeing AMD cards pushing into it's price area some) and 1070 ti.

Oddly enough there doesn't seem to be any shortage on 1060 cards - though pricing seems to have going up some.

You are correct about HBM2... there are shortages for sure as I have noted this in my job (financial analysis for various types of memory used by my employer). Let's just say that the bosses are none too pleased about 1) can't get enough HBM2 to meet our demand and 1a) what we can get is costing about 30% more than originally projected.

Still, I think even aside from this AMD missed the boat big time. and, the HBM2 issue doesn't explain the Nvidia shortages on their higher end cards.  THis is a lot like the market shortage back in Q2. First, all the AMD 4xx & 5xx disappeared then Nvidia was next to go short. I think there are still a lot of people that think AMD first when it comes to mining, given they were clearly the better choice before so many Equihash coins become very profitable to mine with GTX.

Anyway, I have my Vega rig built with just 1 of 3 installed as I am waiting for an electrician to do an assessment on my houses electric capacity before I fully ramp up any more rigs.  I also have 3 1070ti's arriving on Friday, so that will start my 6th rig, assuming my house can handle it lol.  I feel more confident I can get 2-3 more 1070ti's relatively soon vs the 2-3 Vega's I would still like to get.

Dang! total market cap hovering just below $700B!  What an amazing 2nd day of the year!
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1166
My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?
January 03, 2018, 01:55:59 AM
So far the six-slot Onda with integrated CPU works well. Just the annoying Windows stickiness (allegedly linked to the 1709 creators' update - other rigs now seem to exhibit some sort of UI stickiness as well since I updated them).

That's good news; I've got two of the same board (with the Celeron CPU) on their way from China now.

Question for you and the group in general: do you bother with activating Windows 10, buy sketch keys from Kinguin, et al., or pony up for an OEM license from Newegg or the like? I wouldn't bother but it looks like you need to activate Windows if for no other other reason to stop Update from rebooting your machine every night, as it seems prone to do...

https://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10/

This is a problem for nvidia.

You need an update to install any recent driver packages;  which will not be pushed to you or install-able until activated....  It will fail to install the windowsupdate nvidia driver until the update is performed;  which is reliant on activation.

It was a recent hurdle I learned about when doing machine upgrades.  Couldn't install any nvidia driver until it has the OS updated to the creators update I believe.

Simplest solution:

Install and activate 7;  do not use AutoKMS to activate....  Now update 7.  Install 10 as upgrade form CD or USB after SP1 has installed, and one more round of updates install after the SP1 portion; don't install 10 before this point.  10 will be pre-activated when finished.  Just process updates and you are off ot the races legitimately with no out of pocket expense.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
January 03, 2018, 01:41:15 AM
When I try to read this thread from my iPhone I get the message:

'You cannot browse this page at "bitcointalk.org" because it is restricted.'
'Allow Website' (a link)

When I click "Allow Website" it asks for a 4 digit passcode, which I don't know. 

I can browse other threads on this board.  Does Phil need to approve this since he's the moderator?  Is there some setting in my profile?

Thanks!

I have no idea why that happens.

Go to marketplace and see if my moderated thread allows access.

The thread is a antminer t-9 for sale

Maybe you can not access moderated threads of any kind?
Activity: 199
Merit: 100
January 03, 2018, 01:08:49 AM

Activity: 58
Merit: 0
January 02, 2018, 11:13:24 PM
When I try to read this thread from my iPhone I get the message:

'You cannot browse this page at "bitcointalk.org" because it is restricted.'
'Allow Website' (a link)

When I click "Allow Website" it asks for a 4 digit passcode, which I don't know. 

I can browse other threads on this board.  Does Phil need to approve this since he's the moderator?  Is there some setting in my profile?

Thanks!
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
January 02, 2018, 10:30:47 PM
my conspiracy theory on the card shortage: profits are high and the miners who started in March, April, May of 2017, just ROI'd their gear, and with the coin prices high, are potentially doubling down on more gear.

or they bought em up to claim the equipment cost on 2017 taxes?

You read my mind Vapour... I could have just waited until early Jan when a lot of these GPUs are SUPPOSED to come back in stock... but then I would have to wait over a year for the tax write off and I really need that this year lol.

In all fairness though, the OP hits a good point but it's only part of the equation. I suspect a good chunk of the shortage is coming from new miners... those who missed the Q1 explosion but are now keenly aware of this 2nd one that started in Nov.  Still, I simply cannot comprehend how AMD especially has completely missed the boat on demand, especially for Vega! 

I suspect HBM2 production still isn't ramping up enough to support as much Vega production as AMD would prefer.

I have ZERO doubt that the AMD current shortage/price jumps are mining-related - and same on the Nvidia 1070 (which is seeing AMD cards pushing into it's price area some) and 1070 ti.

Oddly enough there doesn't seem to be any shortage on 1060 cards - though pricing seems to have going up some.

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
January 02, 2018, 10:28:11 PM
I went shopping at Nicehash for the first time last night and got some of my older Baikal ASICs on X13 marketplace.

7.2GHs X13 yields 0.0047 BTC per day. The rest Baikal farm are still in Qubit MPH.

Anyone knows whats up with X13 coins like Bitcoin Diamond?

If Bitcoin Diamond is seeing some action here, I will get the rest of Biakals off from Qubit and move to X13 NH.         

QuintLeo?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

I haven't looked at any of the X-algorithm coins since Darkcoin was still GPU mineable, to any significant degree.
Activity: 714
Merit: 512
January 02, 2018, 09:43:50 PM

You may be right, haha... I have bought loads of 1070Ti cards and now even a batch of 1080Ti cards since making well beyond my initial investment.
Activity: 140
Merit: 17
January 02, 2018, 09:29:58 PM
Did anybody say wire rack?  Grin

legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
January 02, 2018, 07:29:08 PM
I go for the more expensive wire racks with good wheels and far more sturdy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/72-x48-x18-Commercial-6-Tier-Shelf-Adjustable-Steel-Wire-Metal-Shelving-Rack/311861204247?

these are much better made.

cheap model is here

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Commercial-82-x48-x18-6-Tier-Layer-Shelf-Adjustable-Wire-Metal-Shelving-Rack-76/311864355012?

The wheels are bigger and center support bar helps a lot.

I would love to find the higher end style at a better price.
Activity: 420
Merit: 184
January 02, 2018, 07:23:09 PM
Since we are talking about favourite cases, I felt like I have to share mine.

You can't find a better one for $5! Joking aside, I do love these wire racks. Hang your cards, put some fans behind them and bobs your uncle. I know it's not very elegant but for the type of low budget mining that I'm doing it's more than ideal.

Good choice.  What's the best price and source you have seen?

Yeah, I wanted to know the same so I used TinEye to do a reverse image search and the first few results were on ebay but one came up for Amazon - $42.99 here in the US. Meh, I'll stick with the cheap Ikea wood shelves.

legendary
Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182
Now the money is free, and so the people will be
January 02, 2018, 07:15:49 PM
5$  ?  five bucks...damn I have those same racks and they go for 35$ CAD over here Sad  There arent that sturdy so make sure you dont overload them with 12 gpus per level Smiley
Activity: 305
Merit: 148
Theranos Coin - IoT + micro-blood arrays = Moon!
January 02, 2018, 07:09:36 PM

You can't find a better one for $5! Joking aside, I do love these wire racks. Hang your cards, put some fans behind them and bobs your uncle. I know it's not very elegant but for the type of low budget mining that I'm doing it's more than ideal.

Good choice.  What's the best price and source you have seen?
Activity: 1274
Merit: 556
January 02, 2018, 07:04:12 PM
Oooh... My Nicehash balance just went down to zero... despite it not having hit 0.1 BTC yet. They're processing payments currently, but if they do pay me out before I reach the 0.1 BTC threshold that would be a (nice) surprise...

The alternative would ofc be that they are in the process of running away with the balances again! Cheesy
Hi! Did you received your money from NH? Today, they also sent me my BTC and charged 0.00313719 (Fee). Is it normal price? %)
According to the blockchain extract, it looks like I did!
I'll check the fee amount but I'm not expecting miracles. BTC transaction fees are what they are nowadays, not much that can be done about them...

It really is no pleasure with the current fees. I have one transaction stuck for 3 weeks already because I went cheapo on the fees and didn't really need the BTC - just wanted to move it to another wallet. Good for you that you received your payout though!

Are any of you guys mining in the basement - even if you live in a flat?
That fee was surprisingly low... 0.00096477 BTC for $350 worth of payout. I've seen a lot worse. Not exactly sure how they did it, but on the blockchain I see that five wallets paid into my BTC address for that single transaction... Wonder what they're doing there exactly... Maybe a way to split the fee to make it cheaper?
Activity: 104
Merit: 11
January 02, 2018, 06:18:57 PM

Jump to: