Author

Topic: Happy New Years! Seventh alt coin thread! - page 119. (Read 34166 times)

Activity: 600
Merit: 261
January 01, 2018, 11:51:09 PM
my conspiracy theory on the card shortage: profits are high and the miners who started in March, April, May of 2017, just ROI'd their gear, and with the coin prices high, are potentially doubling down on more gear.

or they bought em up to claim the equipment cost on 2017 taxes?

You read my mind Vapour... I could have just waited until early Jan when a lot of these GPUs are SUPPOSED to come back in stock... but then I would have to wait over a year for the tax write off and I really need that this year lol.

In all fairness though, the OP hits a good point but it's only part of the equation. I suspect a good chunk of the shortage is coming from new miners... those who missed the Q1 explosion but are now keenly aware of this 2nd one that started in Nov.  Still, I simply cannot comprehend how AMD especially has completely missed the boat on demand, especially for Vega!  It's bad enough they has sever shortages around the time frame the 570/580s were released, but did they learn nothing from that debacle?!?!  They are literally leaving multi-millions in revenue on the table that they could have recognized in Q4 and given their stock a huge bump. But instead, their demand forecasters completely missed it yet again lol! Not sure what they are paying those morons but whatever it is it is way too much. I suspect some heads are gonna roll (or already have) over this. It's simply inexcusable... 2 severe shortages in the same calendar year!  Meanwhile, gamers are seriously hating on us miners... but wtf are we supposed to do lol? Leave money on the table like those myopic dolts over at AMD? I think not!
Activity: 350
Merit: 100
January 01, 2018, 11:26:54 PM
I probably should have gotten a hardware wallet a looooooooooooong time ago - all my BTC is just divided into a bunch of Electrum Wallets all created and stored on TAILS. Once a wallet reaches 10 BTC I create a new one.
Activity: 349
Merit: 102
January 01, 2018, 11:20:07 PM
anyone use a hardware wallet?? if so which one.

also anyone got a suggestion on a software wallet for tons of coins for safe holding?

HW wallet, I use Trezor - basic but its simple to use and most secure.
Ledger Nano S supports more alts coins
Desktop wallet, Exodus and Eden
Mobile wallet, Coinomi

Try out the rest too and see which ones are suitable for your day to day use.

Most of my daily crypto activities are done mainly in Gemini, Bittrex, Binance and Kucoin
Then long term stash at Trezor, short term Exodus & Eden

Eden looks really useful, thanks for the headsup!  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
January 01, 2018, 11:15:01 PM

also anyone got a suggestion on a software wallet for tons of coins for safe holding?

HW wallet, I use Trezor - basic but its simple to use and most secure.
Ledger Nano S supports more alts coins
Desktop wallet, Exodus and Eden
Mobile wallet, Coinomi

Try out the rest too and see which ones are suitable for your day to day use.

Most of my daily crypto activities are done mainly in Gemini, Bittrex, Binance and Kucoin
Then long term stash at Trezor, short term Exodus & Eden
Activity: 349
January 01, 2018, 11:14:18 PM

I use a Ledger Nano S and really like it. The main downside I found is it can only hold the 'apps' for around 5 coins at the same time. But it's no big hassle to swap them as needed.

I use the Exodus software wallet and it supports a good selection of popular coins and tokens. I also have a bunch of wallets from various coins which I used to receive mining payouts before exchanging them. I've mainly moved to mining directly to exchanges now though as syncing their blockchains turned into a chore and ate storage.

I run the wallet apps on a MacOS machine which removes a whole bunch of security threats. I also store their private keys on an encrypted disk image. It's an extra step to open that before running the wallet but is worth considering as even if someone gains access to the machine they have another password to crack before they could gain access to the files.
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
January 01, 2018, 10:42:04 PM

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
January 01, 2018, 10:03:08 PM
I went shopping at Nicehash for the first time last night and got some of my older Baikal ASICs on X13 marketplace.

7.2GHs X13 yields 0.0047 BTC per day. The rest Baikal farm are still in Qubit MPH.

Anyone knows whats up with X13 coins like Bitcoin Diamond?

If Bitcoin Diamond is seeing some action here, I will get the rest of Biakals off from Qubit and move to X13 NH.         

QuintLeo?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
January 01, 2018, 10:02:43 PM
Did you all claim this as an actual business for tax purposes?

I have run an eBay business as philipma1957 since 2002 or 2003.

Once btc started I realized I could do btc sales of gear rather then eBay.

I hung in mining all the lean years by selling used gear at good prices.

Hoping that the 2013 jump might happen again.

It did this year and I was able to shift profit into inventory. For my spring sales. This 2018
Activity: 266
Merit: 13
January 01, 2018, 09:28:55 PM
Did you all claim this as an actual business for tax purposes?
Activity: 103
Merit: 11
January 01, 2018, 09:20:35 PM

^^^ This right here
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
January 01, 2018, 09:08:58 PM
my conspiracy theory on the card shortage: profits are high and the miners who started in March, April, May of 2017, just ROI'd their gear, and with the coin prices high, are potentially doubling down on more gear.

Everything I bought that far back ROIed months ago.

I'd go with the "prices JUMPED 2-3x in late December and it took time for miners to decide the prices were going to hang around long enough to be WORTH building more rigs for" theory.

The mining theory though doesn't account for the shortage and pricing on the 1080 and 1080 ti - SOME of the pricing on those is probably "ram price jump" but the SHORTAGE of cards I don't think can be blamed on memory pricing.
 1070 ti is a special case - card didn't exist during the previous runup, but between me and Voskcoin and others picking up the theme it's gotten quite popular for EFFICIENT mining.

Newegg got some of the MSI Blower model 1070 ti cards in - limit 1 though - at a SANE price.
 Mine is on order - I wanted to try some of the other "single-8pin" cards anyway, though I'd have prefered the ASUS blower card as my next "try it out" card - as I'm still not 100% sure the MSI uses a ball-bearing blower.
 Their OTHER cards are ball bearing though, so I'm willing to risk it ONCE.
 Transaction went through without issue - I'm inclined to think my issue with the previous transaction was due to the "holiday Bitcoin backlog" + crazy-high transaction fee caused some sort of issue.

Newegg also had ONE Sapphire Nitro design (570 I think) in stock at under $300 - didn't notice the limit though offhand - and one other RX card around $300, Powercolor IIRC.
 Rest were ALL $389 and up.

At the time AMD and Nvidia made their forecast, they made sense - coin prices had been flat for months, demand was dropping down to near "pre-surge" levels.
 Then their forecasts got borked by ANOTHER unexpected price jump....

I was doing some wide reading today, trying to figure Volta - and as of right now I'm starting to think the first "consumer" Volta GPU(s) might get announced in late March at that Nvidia "confrence" they have annually - been a few years since they introduced a new line at that, but the timeing seems to fit a LOT of other indicators.
 I wouldn't bet on immediate availability though - probably depends on how fast Samsung, Micron, and "whoever else" gets GDDR 6 production ramped up.
 I DO expect the "consumer" cards to be GDDR 6 not HDM2 though.

legendary
January 01, 2018, 09:00:48 PM

Grin

I resell much of my gear and file a schedule c

last year  2016 ending inventory for sales was 10-11k
the year  2017 ending inventory for sales was more then 45k

Activity: 140
Merit: 17
January 01, 2018, 08:29:35 PM
Agreed. No conspiracy IMHO, just market forces Smiley Coins going up like crazy put enough money in miners pockets for them to invest in more equipment. Also short term the profits look crazy high (what soon gets over-corrected) so buying new hardware appears to be a really good investment. You also have the FOMO go to an extreme (more like POMO for Panic or Paranoia) My mom want so buy GPUs, and her cat too.

If you were paying attention to AMD and Nvidia forecasts, they predicted (always so wise of them) mining demand on hardware going down for this year. I imagine they made production decisions based on those forecasts...

As I said, I think this will over-correct soon. A lot of hardware will be available at a low price, and people that got burned will be too fearful to buy. I'll be waiting with my checkbook open Grin
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
January 01, 2018, 08:14:49 PM

Activity: 284
January 01, 2018, 07:45:34 PM
Activity: 1246
Merit: 274
January 01, 2018, 07:27:22 PM
I responded in the wrong thread! Sad How come you have never mined any neosh*tcoin ? Some of them do shoot up to incredible heights after initially being cheap and low difficulty. I dedicated one rig to these coins and a 2 out of 3 coins do make it big. I think neo is memory heavy, I do have like +400 on my 1070s.

I'm pretty new at this, but I found that the same OC settings for Equihash work well for Neoscrypt, too.

If you're using GTX 1080s or 1080 Ti for Neoscrypt you should test out the new hsrminer for neoscrypt by Palgin. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/hsrminer-nvidia-mining-software-for-various-algos-by-palginalexkap-2565979   --- it does a fair bit better then ccminer or even the Klaust version of ccminer for the 1080 series.  It's been stable for the few days I have tested it.
Activity: 58
Merit: 0
January 01, 2018, 07:15:54 PM
I was going to email Letine.com to get a riserless motherboard.  Looks like they only have the v1 Onda on their site

http://letine.com/bitebizhuban/12-channel-bitcoin-mining-motherboard-manufacturer.html

(they also show the six slot but I'm not interested in that)

I'm inclined to go with the v2 of the Onda 8 slot board, do you think they have them?  Recommend a good source for them if they don't?

letine has the six slot with a cpu

letine has the 8 slot + 4 riser with no cpu

they do not have the v2  8 slot  b250  as of the order I placed on Saturday.  That v2  board has sold out just about everywhere.
Would I be correct in assuming that the v1 boards will be around until they sell out then there'll only be v2 boards?

Also, to be clear, Onda is the actual manufacturer?  No else makes this board, it's just available through different resellers (who all appear to be in China)?
legendary
January 01, 2018, 07:07:44 PM
I was going to email Letine.com to get a riserless motherboard.  Looks like they only have the v1 Onda on their site

http://letine.com/bitebizhuban/12-channel-bitcoin-mining-motherboard-manufacturer.html

I'm inclined to go with the v2 of the Onda 8 slot board, do you think they have them?  Recommend a good source for them if they don't?

letine has the six slot with a cpu

letine has the 8 slot + 4 riser with no cpu

they do not have the v2  8 slot  b250  as of the order I placed on Saturday.  That v2  board has sold out just about everywhere.
Activity: 58
Merit: 0
January 01, 2018, 07:01:17 PM
I was going to email Letine.com to get a riserless motherboard.  Looks like they only have the v1 Onda on their site

I'm inclined to go with the v2 of the Onda 8 slot board, do you think they have them?  Recommend a good source for them if they don't?
legendary
January 01, 2018, 05:35:31 PM
Phil I´m following your threads from the beginning, thanks man!

By now, what is the best option for a mainboard for a non riser setup (ATX mb... no Onda and stuff) that fits with at least 3 GPUs of the same kind (no katana e.g.) ?!

okay  you  could use a biostar z170

I have some used ones.

slot 1   full sized 1080 ti.

slot 2 skip

slot 3 full sized 1080 ti

slot 4 a short  zotac 1070 mini

some where some places I have in the threads a three card build like that.

uses about 500 watts  and a usb 3 stick for smos  if you like smos

vodka has a  build of it on his youtube channel

let me go to imager look for a picture.

here is a three expanded to a 5 with 2 risers added

here it is as a three slot only

Jump to: