Pages:
Author

Topic: Happy New Years! Seventh alt coin thread! - page 2. (Read 34140 times)

legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
16 x 1080ti's  = $30.00 after power

1 amd rig with aryzen and 2 small amd card at eth  this rig earns 2 bucks cost 5 kwatts = $1.25 a day profit
Activity: 471
Merit: 250

Keep the thread going for sure, a lot of people find it very useful (Although we are well past 'New Year' now).  Wink

I've been gradually selling a lot of my GPUs over the past few weeks, shifted over fifty 1070 Minis, with good profits as resale is still good. They sold for more than they cost, so 'free' mining from them. As for the 1080ti cards and others, not sure, still on the fence deciding what to do with those. You have to run your mining efforts as a business, and my gut told me it was time for a change. It would have taken around 10 months to mine what they sold for.

I don't want to enter/start yet another ASIC debate, but with Bitmain and others cracking nearly all of the Algos, it's just the pace and evolution of the business. Nothing lasts forever, and I'm happy to move on and try things another way. I'm sort of hoping 'programmable' miners come to reality this year. In some respects Baikal have set the ball rolling as they add new algos now and then to existing machines. It would be SO INTERESTING to know exactly what all these manufacturers have on the test bench, let alone live in the data hall ... but as consumers we only learn the facts after they have almost bled the system dry before they decide to retail them.

UK power costs keep going up, wish I had access to solar or better deals, but long term we are stuffed over here and increases in electricity of 5% once or twice a year are not uncommon.

So ... for me it's re-focus time. Embrace the likes of the Z9 (putting algo forks/changes/ASIC resistance aside), realise profit from the hardware I have, buy some more coins and hodl.

As the saying goes 'give it a year' ... and the landscape will have settled in a different way to what we have been used to.

Looking forward to new more efficient GPU/ASIC/FPGA hardware coming out in the months ahead, I'll be buying back in I hope.

(And yes, I dropped a BIG bollock buying the B3, should have known better, but at 310w power consumption (so my meter says) it's a 'punt', just the way mining the likes of Raven have been. HODL over time will tell).

Activity: 72
Merit: 11
Thinking of shutting down thread.  Gpu mining is in sad shape.

Thoughts everyone?

Looks like Metroid called it.

I'm bullish on GPU mining and in fact I'm still turning in an pretty good profit. It's not making me rich, but it's bringing in an income and I certainly enjoy the hobby. I've calculated that with my electricity $10 c/kWh it's still far cheaper to mine a coin than to buy it outright. And my GPU's have ROI'd already. I still sell some crypto on the side, to turn them into hard cash and lock in the profits. And I also still buy GPU's, but only after I see a good deal pop up.

The way I see it, ASIC's will continue playing a catch-up game. Bitmain and others still take a long time to develop their ASIC's into working products and put out to market, and from a buyer's standpoint, it's always a risk to buy an ASIC, because crypto can be forked any time. Monero pretty much showed us this is possible. I personally do not ever see ASIC's being ahead of the game as long as coin projects hold a strong public commitment to fork to other proof of work algorithms whenever ASIC's are developed for them. This act alone will discourage expensive ASIC development for specific coins. The other way ASIC manufacturers could stay ahead is if they partner up with crypto devteams to make a coin specifically for ASICs, but it would be hard for that coin to gain much traction.

Edit: For the record, all my rigs are nvidia.
Activity: 190
Merit: 100
Thinking of shutting down thread.  Gpu mining is in sad shape.

Thoughts everyone?

Maybe a part 8 for general discussions ...

Although GPU mining is indeed a sad case with little future upsides... the GPU farms are still profitable with CN7/Monero (AMD), ZEN/ZEC (NVIDIA)... while they still last. The Plan B for NVIDIAs will be Neoscrypt.

No further investments on GPUs for now, and yes - we have made decision to invest more ASICs, Avalons 841s and L3+s mainly due to lower price today.

As long as we still have access to cheap power -- for every satoshis we can accumulate today with GPU or non-GPU miners, coupled with bullish outlook to BTC price - we can still see the pot of gold at then end of the rainbow.
yeah keep it going.

if gpu mining is truly hitting the skids, we need a place to discuss ways to prolong the life of what we have, or where to go next (fpga? asic?).

1 rig with 2x470, 460, 1070, 1070ti, 2x1080ti here. never gonna sell em, worse comes to worse some friends get free gpu upgrades and i use the 1080tis for gaming (currently have a 390 for that).
Hi there,
 I think another reason GPU mining is low this days is because we didn't have a new powerfull GPU out for a long time (a part from vegas, that said, but even if they are my best workers right now, I don't love them, too noisy even in my barn).

What I would like to know besides what the SIA chap said, is how ASICs will handle new algoryths like X16r&X16s. And I hope we will see new anti-ASICS improvements soon.
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005
I truly believe that GPU mining is far from dead.

Might not be as cool as the last 12 months, but i'm pretty sure there will be new coins to mine. Not so long ago, AMD was to be dead and Nvidia to rules and this is not the case anymore. (With the Equihash Asic)

The real issue I have is a coins using a "Asic proof" algorithm that won't fork when an ASIC beat them at their game and do jackshit about it.

I understand the lucrative part of it but not the non-ethic decision.

Just my 2 cents
Activity: 1274
Merit: 556
Nvidia rigs still do ok on ETH too.
Meh, not mine. My 1080's do not benefit from that ETHlargement pill unfortunately. It increased ETH hashrate from 21 to 23 or something pathetic like that. Still better of playing between X16R/X16S/Tribus/Lyra2z...
Activity: 85
Merit: 6

Thoughts everyone?

I thinkk it's good to keep it going...or start a general discussion as citronick mnentioned.

GPU mining stills has a place. For example: Raven and Luxcoin came along to help us all. If it hadn't been for this thread, I wouldn't have jumped on those coins soon enough. Nvidia rigs still do ok on ETH too.

So as long as we continue to share strategies, we will do ok with our GPUs.

I was going to sell my nVidia rigs. I have to move them somewhere for a while this summer as we are building an addition on our house which incudes demolitoin of our garage. So I'm looking for a place to host them as my host site has no room.

If any Canucks on here know of a good host site in Ontario or Quebec, please let me know. I wouldn't send my GPU rigs by courier like I do my ASICs. However, I'm willing to drive my GPu rigs from Toronto to as far away as Montreal or even the Eastern Townships.
Activity: 610
Merit: 265
Still have a positive outlook on GPU mining. I believe next gen GPUs if bought within 6 months of launch at MSRP will make their money back and then some. Especially with projects like RenderToken coming online later this year. As for current gen, above MSRP gpus, hard pass.

Still, bought my first ASIC couple days ago, a Giant B and pre-ordered the Z9. Diversification is key.
Tell you what. Create the next thread and call it "Eighth alt coin thread: Crunchtime"

Smiley

Don't forget nVidia, AMD and Intel are on the ball. There is too much money in the game for them to just ignore the GPU mining income. They might be pushing the agenda of miner-specific cards etc. Things will probably move and we'll know more in H2 of this year.
Activity: 287
Merit: 100

Thoughts everyone?

Although GPU mining is indeed a sad case with little future upsides... the GPU farms are still profitable with CN7/Monero (AMD), ZEN/ZEC (NVIDIA)... while they still last. The Plan B for NVIDIAs will be Neoscrypt.

No further investments on GPUs for now, and yes - we have made decision to invest more ASICs, Avalons 841s and L3+s mainly due to lower price today.

As long as we still have access to cheap power -- for every satoshis we can accumulate today with GPU or non-GPU miners, coupled with bullish outlook to BTC price - we can still see the pot of gold at then end of the rainbow.

yeah keep it going.

if gpu mining is truly hitting the skids, we need a place to discuss ways to prolong the life of what we have, or where to go next (fpga? asic?).

1 rig with 2x470, 460, 1070, 1070ti, 2x1080ti here. never gonna sell em, worse comes to worse some friends get free gpu upgrades and i use the 1080tis for gaming (currently have a 390 for that).

keep it going phil - Smiley
legendary
Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

Thoughts everyone?

yeah keep it going.

Activity: 1151
Merit: 528

Thoughts everyone?

I'm still making plenty of money.. GPU mining is going fine.
Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

Thoughts everyone?

You just need AMD rigs, Phil.
My 570's and Vegas are going strong, mining Cryptonightv7.
As I (and others) called it a few months ago, it's the nVidia-"friendly" algos that are getting annihilated. All ASIC territory now.

If you haven't already, you should read the article the CEO from Sia wrote this weekend. Enlightening. I'll try to find it and post a link.

eth is more profitable for nvida with eth enlargement as well as for rx cards
cryptonite is still below ethereum in profitablity at least for now
Activity: 284
Merit: 102

Thoughts everyone?

What did Metroid call ?
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708

Thoughts everyone?

Is it really in that bad shape?

ETH still seems profitable with most GPUs.

Found out that my old ass Tahitis from the LTC days can use less power than an RX GPU while mining CN.

From the wall using about 120 Watts mining CN at 600h/s. My RX use close to 140 Watt mining ETH.

Not the same profitability but not bad for a 28nm GPU generation.
legendary
Activity: 3388
Merit: 1059
Here's the link to the blog (let me know if it doesn't work, I'm posting from my work PC that blocks blogs in general): https://blog.sia.tech/the-state-of-cryptocurrency-mining-538004a37f9b
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----

Thoughts everyone?

Thoughts everyone?

You just need AMD rigs, Phil.
My 570's and Vegas are going strong, mining Cryptonightv7.
As I (and others) called it a few months ago, it's the nVidia-"friendly" algos that are getting annihilated. All ASIC territory now.

If you haven't already, you should read the article the CEO from Sia wrote this weekend. Enlightening. I'll try to find it and post a link.
Activity: 324
Merit: 250

Thoughts everyone?

Don't close it, I'd like to discuss fog computing networks like sonm.io. Its the future for us GPU miners IMO.
I'm running a small hobby mining company, and my plan has always been to become a provider in projects like sonm.

Any interest in debating this?

Pages:
Jump to: