Pages:
Author

Topic: Happy New Years! Seventh alt coin thread! - page 8. (Read 34140 times)

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

I'm at 128 panels, and plan to add another 24, which will max out my current solar breaker panel.  After that, I'll likely switch from micro inverters to larger 10KW inverters and run DC from the arrays back to where the inverters are located.  This makes sense since additional arrays past the initial 152, are going to have to be located further away from my shop where all the miners live.  High voltage DC power = much less power loss than 240VAC.

Your username suits you. That's a pretty large solar farm as it is. I'm wondering how you handle the excess power generated and if you're selling excess energy back to the grid (incase your miners shutoff and stop consuming power).

Have you ever considered venturing into a pure solar mining farm and selling electricity to the grid for profits?
Activity: 558
Merit: 194
I was thinking of putting in drywall in my garage to help with dust from the concrete walls , how does drywall help with cooling ?

By enclosing the side walls and ceiling of my "room within a room", I force all 10,000 CFM of air out through the mining rigs instead of escaping out the sides and top where there is less resistance.  I also plan to do a better job sealing the openings on the shelving unit itself, again to do everything I can to force all the air to move through the GPUs.  You will notice on one of the pics I have an online duct fan blowing across my 8x1060 EVGA rig with a Colorful mining mobo with real close spacing.  Right now, that 10,000 CFM intake fan is not able to move air at a high enough velocity through it to keep the 1060's cool.  I'm hoping by sealing all other openings, I'll bring the velocity up to where I don't need any "booster" fans.  Also, be sealing everything, I'm hoping I'll only need to run the intake and exhaust fans at like 50% speed most of the time.  Both 10K fans are connected to a single VFD so that I can run the fans any any speed I want.  Getting a computer interface for it so that I can automate the speed at which the fans run.  At full blast they consume 900 watts.  But running them at 40Hz, they only use 400 watts.  So running them faster than I need to waste a lot of power.
Activity: 1148
Merit: 132
glad i kept most of my gear on raven, seeing a nice pump

I have a sneaking feeling raven hit a dollar by year end , that would change my life lol

I heard thier github repository has 15k commits and 400 developers, add in the fact they are

commited to fighting asics and have a great white paper I think its a great speculative asset atm
 still holding 5200 of them

I have around 10k , wish i handnt sold so much , im mining a few 500 a day and holding hard now

Great news.  I mined RVN pretty much exclusively last month and have a little over 100k sitting in my local wallet.  I'll keep hodl'ing through the summer I think, to see where it goes.

I got all my rigs on ZEN now and plan to setup a secure node by the time the 20% reward kicks in and then possibly keep going and switch to a super node if I ever get to a 500 coin stake.  IF RVN really blows up, maybe I'll consider selling it for ZEN to get my super node going sooner rather than later.

On the solar, I have a 35 kWh system, and generated 3,500 kWh last month as the sun finally decided to come out here in Virginia.  As you can see from the below graph, having a month or two with lots of cloudy days make a huge impact:

And here's a power graph from yesterday:

I need to get out there to rinse the pollen off the panels as that does reduce the output quite a bit.  I also have several micro inverters I need to replace.  And the heat (it hit 90 yesterday), doesn't help.  Solar panels like it nice and cool (but sunny).

But despite generating 3,500 kWh in April, my power bill is still trending in the wrong direction.  The days of not having a power bill (prior to August of last year when I started mining) are long gone.  Sad

I'm at 128 panels, and plan to add another 24, which will max out my current solar breaker panel.  After that, I'll likely switch from micro inverters to larger 10KW inverters and run DC from the arrays back to where the inverters are located.  This makes sense since additional arrays past the initial 152, are going to have to be located further away from my shop where all the miners live.  High voltage DC power = much less power loss than 240VAC.

Making decent progress on the "mining room" I'm building inside my shop building.  I got a 96" wide by 84" tall wide span ULINE shelving unit with 6 shelves.  That guy is able to hold all my GPU rigs and ASICs with room to spare.

I'm feeding it via 4x 30A circuits that in turn feed HP 24A PDU's and have 12A PDU's connected to them.  Fortunately the breaker panel is close by, so the #10 runs are pretty short:

I built the walls and ceiling and put some cardboard up temporarily to force the air through the rack.  I hope to get some drywall up this afternoon.  So cold air is pulled in from the outside, forced through the rack, and then extracted from the gable vent.

The side walls are 96" wide, just like the shelving unit.  So once I run out of room on the shelf, I'll replace the walls with additional shelves except for an access hole for inside maintenance.

wow 100k raven? It would take me like 4 months. to mine that much u must have got in early
your setup is so sexy, I was thinking of putting in drywall in my garage to help with dust from the concrete walls , how does drywall help with cooling ?
Activity: 1151
Merit: 528
How do your figures look if you change the 1080ti ETH hashrate to ~55MH/s? I'm getting ~280MH/s on a 5 card rig pulling 1100W using ETHlargement

It's a high cost per card but I figure (hope) they'll hold their resale value ok once the next gen is out. I plan to move them to rendering (RNDR token) if algos get ASIC'd.

My 1080ti is pulling 48MHs with the pill..
fgm
Activity: 43
Merit: 0
Oh well. Loan came back for $23,500 - way less than I was hoping.

Thinking I'm going to get another Vega rig and 4-6 RX 500 Rigs.

Your ROI will be very impressive..... by year end, 1 BTC will be worth more than 23.5K  Grin

I too have sold my Vegas to one of my buddies, a while back.

The rig was back in the shop recently to do testing for cast-xmr and SBRminer.

Some teaser for you:

8 x Sapphire Vega64 Reference on a K35v2 8 slot motherboard.

Currently running off 128GB M2, 4GB DDR3 (not DDR4). Windozed 10. 64GB virtuall memory.

Total cost maybe at least 50% of your loan amount.

Testing using SBRminer, yields around 1.4kh/s per GPU, although GPUs are close to each other ... they hardly break 55c at 3600RPM fans.

Still fine tuning a better clock timings to push it nearer 2kh/s per GPU on NH CN7 and Nanopool XMR. This rig pulls around 1440watts.

Use driver 18.3.4, clock the Vegas at 1428/1150 and set the parameters in SRB as follows: dual threads, intensity@112 and worksize@16. Enjoy 2000 h/s.

Yep, use driver 18.3.4.
I'm using Cast XMR and get 11200 on 6 x vega56 without too much hassle.
Activity: 1274
Merit: 556

Your ROI will be very impressive..... by year end, 1 BTC will be worth more than 23.5K  Grin

Some teaser for you:

Currently running off 128GB M2, 4GB DDR3 (not DDR4). Windozed 10. 64GB virtuall memory.

Testing using SBRminer, yields around 1.4kh/s per GPU, although GPUs are close to each other ... they hardly break 55c at 3600RPM fans.

Still fine tuning a better clock timings to push it nearer 2kh/s per GPU on NH CN7 and Nanopool XMR. This rig pulls around 1440watts.

Use driver 18.3.4, clock the Vegas at 1428/1150 and set the parameters in SRB as follows: dual threads, intensity@112 and worksize@16. Enjoy 2000 h/s.
Activity: 558
Merit: 194
glad i kept most of my gear on raven, seeing a nice pump

I have a sneaking feeling raven hit a dollar by year end , that would change my life lol

I heard thier github repository has 15k commits and 400 developers, add in the fact they are

commited to fighting asics and have a great white paper I think its a great speculative asset atm
 still holding 5200 of them

I have around 10k , wish i handnt sold so much , im mining a few 500 a day and holding hard now

Great news.  I mined RVN pretty much exclusively last month and have a little over 100k sitting in my local wallet.  I'll keep hodl'ing through the summer I think, to see where it goes.

I got all my rigs on ZEN now and plan to setup a secure node by the time the 20% reward kicks in and then possibly keep going and switch to a super node if I ever get to a 500 coin stake.  IF RVN really blows up, maybe I'll consider selling it for ZEN to get my super node going sooner rather than later.

On the solar, I have a 35 kWh system, and generated 3,500 kWh last month as the sun finally decided to come out here in Virginia.  As you can see from the below graph, having a month or two with lots of cloudy days make a huge impact:

And here's a power graph from yesterday:

I need to get out there to rinse the pollen off the panels as that does reduce the output quite a bit.  I also have several micro inverters I need to replace.  And the heat (it hit 90 yesterday), doesn't help.  Solar panels like it nice and cool (but sunny).

But despite generating 3,500 kWh in April, my power bill is still trending in the wrong direction.  The days of not having a power bill (prior to August of last year when I started mining) are long gone.  Sad

I'm at 128 panels, and plan to add another 24, which will max out my current 200A solar breaker panel.  After that, I'll likely switch from micro inverters to larger 10KW inverters and run DC from the arrays back to where the inverters are located.  This makes sense since additional arrays past the initial 152, are going to have to be located further away from my shop where all the miners live.  High voltage DC power = much less power loss than 240VAC.

Making decent progress on the "mining room" I'm building inside my shop building.  I got a 96" wide by 84" tall wide span ULINE shelving unit with 6 shelves.  That guy is able to hold all my GPU rigs and ASICs with room to spare.

I'm feeding it via 4x 30A circuits that in turn feed HP 24A PDU's that have 12A PDU's connected to them.  The 24A PDUs are a steal at around $25 and the 12A PDU's run about $30 for a pair.  Fortunately the breaker panel is close by, so the #10 runs are pretty short:

I built the walls and ceiling and put some cardboard up temporarily to force the air through the rack.  I hope to get some drywall up this afternoon.  So cold air is pulled in from the outside, forced through the rack, and then extracted from the gable vent.

The side walls are 96" wide, just like the shelving unit.  So once I run out of room on the shelf, I'll replace the walls with additional shelves except for an access hole for inside maintenance.
Activity: 12
Merit: 1
Honestly if i had 40k to spend on expanding mining and you had the room, i would instead spend it on solar power... I have been shopping around local here to build a small solar farm on my property that i have all my rigs currently. Here in Florida you cant get a credit on solar unless you produce over a certain xxxx amount. So i have been shopping around and there is a solar panel manufacture called Sonali Solar in Miami, FL that quoted me some pretty amazing prices...

Pallet: 25 panels
305watt panels
$0.46/watt pricing

Small Container: 250 panels
305watt panels
$0.31/watt pricing

Or

A 50,400 watt complete system package

180 x panels
6 x 10.1KW 240vac inverters
Unirac 180 panel kit
cabling for kit setup

They priced me $33,675.40 shipped to my door, which comes out to $0.67 per watt if i do the install myself.

Right now im just trying to find out what permits and coding i would need to meet to install such a system, because if i could cut my $1500/month electric bill down to near $0 mining with the gear i already have, then that is a huge step in the right direction in the future of mining. Right now profits are a bit on the low side, so saving on electric seems more important in my book.... I could ROI on the solar in no time, since i would have to expand to use up the full 50kw in solar.

A 50KW solar system isn't going to cut your electric bill to 0.. you would need a 100KW+ system for that.
You can calculate it here: https://pvwatts.nrel.gov

My electric bill is around $600/mo, I'm in south FL and pay around 10 cents/kwh.
A 50KW system generates around 6400kwh/mo so that would bring my bill to 0.

For you to bring your $1500 power bill to 0 you would need a 120KW solar system. That generates about 1500kwh/mo.
Of course it also depends on how much you pay per kwh, but since you're also in FL it should be similar.
Activity: 349
Merit: 102
About to expand my farm.. looking at spending somewhere between $20,000-$40,000. Been making spreadsheets and trying to figure out what to buy.. any thoughts/input? My main concern is that Vegas are pretty much 1 trick ponies with the Cryptonight variants. Where nVidia algos seem to be easily ASIC'd. And AMD RX 500s rely heavily on ETH staying PoW..

Spreadsheet:

How do your figures look if you change the 1080ti ETH hashrate to ~55MH/s? I'm getting ~280MH/s on a 5 card rig pulling 1100W using ETHlargement

It's a high cost per card but I figure (hope) they'll hold their resale value ok once the next gen is out. I plan to move them to rendering (RNDR token) if algos get ASIC'd.
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708

Your ROI will be very impressive..... by year end, 1 BTC will be worth more than 23.5K  Grin

Some teaser for you:

Reminds me of a R9 290 rig I had a while back.

The GPUs were all reference type but what was good is that you could keep them very close together and the  heat could be exhausted by a vent tub outside. It made a nice clean setup.

However it was crazy loud as the fans had to run at like 80% which was like 4200RPM.
Activity: 1246
Merit: 274
Any of you had experience with the newish MSI 570 Armor MK2 8GB GPU?  I know that previous Armor models have been clearly worse for mining than their gaming model counterparts, but in looking at the specs between this and the MSI Gaming 570 8GB, they seem almost identical, except for the clock-speeds of the Armor are only about 1% less than the Gaming version. Not sure how that translates to mining though, which is why I ask this question.  Still looking for 2-3 more 570's to complete a build and highly prefer to go 8GB route. Just wondering if this MK2 Armor has closed the gap enough vs the Gaming versions.

I'm not sure if we had original or MK2 versions on our Rx 470s, but the coolers on them stink.  We sold all of our Rx 470s when they were high priced a couple months back.... we do have one RX 580 with the Armor cooler and it's pretty crappy (at cooling).
Activity: 600
Merit: 261
Any of you had experience with the newish MSI 570 Armor MK2 8GB GPU?  I know that previous Armor models have been clearly worse for mining than their gaming model counterparts, but in looking at the specs between this and the MSI Gaming 570 8GB, they seem almost identical, except for the clock-speeds of the Armor are only about 1% less than the Gaming version. Not sure how that translates to mining though, which is why I ask this question.  Still looking for 2-3 more 570's to complete a build and highly prefer to go 8GB route. Just wondering if this MK2 Armor has closed the gap enough vs the Gaming versions.
Honestly if i had 40k to spend on expanding mining and you had the room, i would instead spend it on solar power... I have been shopping around local here to build a small solar farm on my property that i have all my rigs currently. Here in Florida you cant get a credit on solar unless you produce over a certain xxxx amount. So i have been shopping around and there is a solar panel manufacture called Sonali Solar in Miami, FL that quoted me some pretty amazing prices...

305watt panels
$0.46/watt pricing

305watt panels
$0.31/watt pricing

Or

180 x panels
Unirac 180 panel kit
cabling for kit setup

They priced me $33,675.40 shipped to my door, which comes out to $0.67 per watt if i do the install myself.

Right now im just trying to find out what permits and coding i would need to meet to install such a system, because if i could cut my $1500/month electric bill down to near $0 mining with the gear i already have, then that is a huge step in the right direction in the future of mining. Right now profits are a bit on the low side, so saving on electric seems more important in my book.... I could ROI on the solar in no time, since i would have to expand to use up the full 50kw in solar.

We did a couple solar quotes a month or so ago and we were getting figures of $150,000+ for a 86,800 watt setup. That was after the ~30% government rebates but it did include installation. That quote was way out of our budget, but for the price your were quoted I'd be tempted to install myself  (if I was young and healthy again) or find a local general contractor to do it.
150k they are smoking lol
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----

Your ROI will be very impressive..... by year end, 1 BTC will be worth more than 23.5K  Grin

Some teaser for you:

Activity: 322
Merit: 233
For the solar, i am not looking to install it ontop of a house or anything, i am looking to install them in a cleared field opening.

Right now im trying to get some info on the permits and such i would need to follow, the confused part seems to be that my mining setup uses 2 x mobile home pads, which had seperate power boxes for each pad on the property. I currently have both power connections running to the mining hardware to be used. They are trying to tell me i would only be able to use 1 to hook it all up on and i would have to pay to have it upgraded to support the 50k system since it was a grid-tied setup. If i can get around the politics, then this is the route i plan on taking.

In regards to the warranty, the company told me the warranty would be still be valid as long as i have an electrician sign off on the wiring that its up to code.
Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

305watt panels
$0.46/watt pricing

305watt panels
$0.31/watt pricing

Or

180 x panels
Unirac 180 panel kit
cabling for kit setup

We did a couple solar quotes a month or so ago and we were getting figures of $150,000+ for a 86,800 watt setup. That was after the ~30% government rebates but it did include installation. That quote was way out of our budget, but for the price your were quoted I'd be tempted to install myself  (if I was young and healthy again) or find a local general contractor to do it.
eally? my nivida rigs have always been the most stable and made me the most money
most here would say the same.

on that note , ve decided to sell 4 of my s9 14th and my 2 A3s or trade for equivalent value in 1080tis or 1070tis
or non ref vegas
I mined ETH from March 2017 -> Monero fork. ETH/AMD was really good to me. Rock solid with SMOS.

I have (2) 1070Tis arriving today and will test them out, but looks like the price jacked by $50 per after my order so I'll probably still be going with AMD cards..
@citronik the l3s at that price was a goos deal , have like 10 $200 coupons but ive soured on asics

all my asics are off atm , they dont make enough for the heat they generate, 6 s9s , 3 a3 ( one owned by me)
and 3 d3 all off ,

i kept my baikal x10s on tho , one has a bad fan

why do you bother with the D3?

Yeah those damn D3.... one of my group members invested in them, I had little say but helped found them a home and a long term solution. The D3s are currently running at PH and solo mode... we do get lucky every now and then....
I see i inly have 3 d3s cant run that few solo, i was mining monetary unit
speculatively but i finnaly turned them off

youre taking out loans to buy gear? hope it pans out , it will be hard to build 4 500 rigs and a vega rig for that much,
u should go 1 vega rig, 1 nvidia rig and two 500 rigs
I already have several nVidia rigs and they've pretty much always sucked compared to any AMD builds profit-wise.

I took loans for my initial farm - this is just a bit bigger loan. I'm not concerned at all.
really? my nivida rigs have always been the most stable and made me the most money
most here would say the same.

on that note , ve decided to sell 4 of my s9 14th and my 2 A3s or trade for equivalent value in 1080tis or 1070tis
or non ref vegas

youre taking out loans to buy gear? hope it pans out , it will be hard to build 4 500 rigs and a vega rig for that much,
u should go 1 vega rig, 1 nvidia rig and two 500 rigs
I already have several nVidia rigs and they've pretty much always sucked compared to any AMD builds profit-wise.

I took loans for my initial farm - this is just a bit bigger loan. I'm not concerned at all.
Pages:
Jump to: